Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN article on Fickell
Bookmark and Share
ucbrownsfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
ESPN article on Fickell
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18351516/the-crazy-life-luke-fickell-right-now

CINCINNATI -- Luke Fickell almost got away with it.

After spending the morning on another campus wearing another team's polo, Fickell pulled back onto Ohio State's campus to report for his other job as the defensive coordinator at his alma mater, threw on a pullover and walked into the facility like normal.

12-26-2016 12:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: ESPN article on Fickell
Good article.

I had to chuckle a little at this paragraph.

Quote:After starting his day in Cincinnati with a two-hour tour of the facilities, Fickell's to-do list grows in seemingly every room he visits. He takes in every detail of the room and jots down the changes he wants made -- most notably in the outdated graphics, including some in a corner of his office that list "Core Values" that he was told were put up by Butch Jones and left unchanged for four years by Tuberville.

12-26-2016 12:51 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(12-26-2016 12:51 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Good article.

Quote:After starting his day in Cincinnati with a two-hour tour of the facilities, Fickell's to-do list grows in seemingly every room he visits. He takes in every detail of the room and jots down the changes he wants made -- most notably in the outdated graphics, including some in a corner of his office that list "Core Values" that he was told were put up by Butch Jones and left unchanged for four years by Tuberville.

As opposed to the "Core Values" that Charlie Strong put up, that included "Respect...for women," that Bobby Petrino took down within 5 minutes of taking over the UL program...

12-26-2016 01:01 PM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
(12-26-2016 01:01 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  
(12-26-2016 12:51 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Good article.

As opposed to the "Core Values" that Charlie Strong put up, that included "Respect...for women," that Bobby Petrino took down within 5 minutes of taking over the UL program...

04-bow

12-26-2016 01:20 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
1. Hold the rope

2. Represent the C

3. Chest bump every play

4. Win the championship of life

12-26-2016 01:21 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

Fortunately there's not much to do right now at UC since it's bowl season.

12-26-2016 02:23 PM
Advertisement

WalterSobchak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MY BEARCATS
(12-26-2016 01:21 PM)Crewdogz Wrote:  1. Hold the rope

2. Represent the C

3. Chest bump every play

4. Win the championship of life

03-lmfao

12-26-2016 02:27 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
As long as Ruby removes Tuberville from the Precinct menu, all is good.

12-26-2016 02:56 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
"We weren't very good on defense for a couple years and that stressed things out just a touch around here. But one of the greatest things I've ever done was keep Luke Fickell. He's a loyal, good man and a very good friend of mine. We'll be very close for a long time."

So Urban isn't exactly endorsing him as a great football mind here...Sounds more like Maude Lebowski telling the Dude about the doctor she wants him to see: " He's good man, Jeffrey, and thorough".

12-26-2016 02:57 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(12-26-2016 02:57 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  "We weren't very good on defense for a couple years and that stressed things out just a touch around here. But one of the greatest things I've ever done was keep Luke Fickell. He's a loyal, good man and a very good friend of mine. We'll be very close for a long time."

So Urban isn't exactly endorsing him as a great football mind here...Sounds more like Maude Lebowski telling the Dude about the doctor she wants him to see: " He's good man, Jeffrey, and thorough".

I thought OSU defenses under Tressel, when Fickell was Co/DC were pretty dam good. 2005-10. As an example in Tressel's last year OSU D gave up 14.3 PPG, this season it is 14.2 PPG. The worse it has ever been under Meyer is about 22.5 PPG.

12-26-2016 03:18 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-26-2016 02:57 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  "We weren't very good on defense for a couple years and that stressed things out just a touch around here. But one of the greatest things I've ever done was keep Luke Fickell. He's a loyal, good man and a very good friend of mine. We'll be very close for a long time."

I have to say the article was quite positive on the whole but that paragraph jumped off the page at me too. Quality person--a winner, excellent recruiter, pedigree from one of the top five programs in college football. I want him to succeed but that nagging question in the back of my mind remains about his ability to be a successful head coach. Not because of his record during that interim year either. He's just an unknown quantity when it comes to building a program at this level.

Of course many here (including myself) thought Tubs had all that great head coaching experience in the SEC and might have had his ticket punched for the hall of fame. How wrong that was. So I say, onward and upward with Luke; Go Bearcats!

12-26-2016 03:28 PM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(12-26-2016 02:23 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Fortunately there's not much to do right now at UC since it's bowl season.

Don't know how this was intended, but it works on many levels of sarcasm. To me, he sounds like a guy who is realizing he needed to be full-time at his new job a couple of weeks ago.

12-26-2016 04:47 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(12-26-2016 03:18 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  I thought OSU defenses under Tressel, when Fickell was Co/DC were pretty dam good. 2005-10. As an example in Tressel's last year OSU D gave up 14.3 PPG, this season it is 14.2 PPG. The worse it has ever been under Meyer is about 22.5 PPG.

Hopefully that's not the Schiano effect.

12-26-2016 04:48 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(12-26-2016 04:47 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(12-26-2016 02:23 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Fortunately there's not much to do right now at UC since it's bowl season.

Don't know how this was intended, but it works on many levels of sarcasm. To me, he sounds like a guy who is realizing he needed to be full-time at his new job a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely sarcasm. This shows he's trying to keep his head above water and feeling like he's not getting things accomplished despite working non-stop.

12-26-2016 05:02 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(12-26-2016 02:56 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  As long as Ruby removes Tuberville from the Precinct menu, all is good.

Tommy Tuberville
Dry Aged Center-Cut Porterhouse, 24 oz.

$70.75 Absolutely amazing for a piece of meat.

12-26-2016 07:34 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Dry aged...

No UC coach was ever better described.

12-27-2016 09:02 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators

03-lmfao

Thank you for that. Best reference ever.

12-27-2016 09:04 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy

I think his style will remind us of butch jones. There will be the deer in head light look see fresno 2010 but they will be a hardworking team.

12-27-2016 09:20 AM
ucdsk Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Bearcats
I hope CLF brings in an attitude similar to Mark D'Antonio's and more offense on the field(missed opportunity with Nick Davila). I remember Coach D'antonio providing each player's play book that referenced UC's long history of winning championships back to the 1930's with the Buckeye Athletic Conference, through the experiences of the Mid-American, Missouri Valley, and C-USA(shared). I hope CLF emphasizes the tradition continued with the BIG EAST and more recently the shared titled of the AAC. The Bearcat All-Americans, Super Bowl winner and participants and the Bowl games are part of the traditions, but winning championship on the field is where the rubber meets the road.COGS

12-27-2016 02:33 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(12-26-2016 07:34 PM)ctipton Wrote:  
(12-26-2016 02:56 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  As long as Ruby removes Tuberville from the Precinct menu, all is good.

Tommy Tuberville
Dry Aged Center-Cut Porterhouse, 24 oz.

$70.75 Absolutely amazing for a piece of meat.

03-banghead

12-27-2016 03:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.