Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Western Kentucky - growing in football stature
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Good article on the growth at Western Kentucky, and how the football program is making huge strides...

I've definitely noticed them more and more over the last few years...they are becoming a name that sticks out of the G5

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...contender/
12-21-2016 10:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Western Kentucky - growing in football stature
Yeah, it wasn't that long ago with Courtney Lee leading them to another Sweet 16 that everyone thought of the Hilltoppers as a pure basketball school.

Boy has that taken a 180.
12-21-2016 10:30 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
WKU is definitely rising to the Top of the Hill.
12-21-2016 10:36 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

During the three semesters I attended there, back when still 1AA, they were pretty good. That was back when Willie Taggart and He Hate Me were running over people left and right. But around the time they decided to move up, the program fell apart, which you can imagine is the very wrong time to do that. Willie Taggart saved them in more ways than one.
12-21-2016 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I will be interested to watch the job Mike Sanford does there.
12-21-2016 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(12-21-2016 11:01 AM)TerryD Wrote:  I will be interested to watch the job Mike Sanford does there.

Could be a future coach for us.
12-21-2016 11:14 AM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
WKU is like any other G5 school. They are only as good as their last coach. Not even Boise St or Houston are immune from this.

WKU is not going to turn into the next Louisville. WKU will be a G5 level school forever. Maybe when they stop losing their coach to schools like Purdue, then you can claim they are growing in stature.
12-21-2016 11:40 AM
TitanTopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
Our goal is to be the next Boise in CFB and Gonzaga of CBB. We are struggling in BB right NOW, but with the hire of Stansbury and a Top 10 recruiting class coming in next season, watch out. Our other athletic programs are ranked consistently in the Top 20. The poster above is right, we'll stay a G5 program, but hopefully be thought of PROMINANTLY as a Top 25 school across our entire Athletic Department. THATS THE GOAL AT WKU. No other programs in G5 can make that claim...Its usually just 1 sport that they excel in. Only time will tell. Go Tops!!
12-21-2016 11:50 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(12-21-2016 11:40 AM)goofus Wrote:  WKU is like any other G5 school. They are only as good as their last coach. Not even Boise St or Houston are immune from this.

WKU is not going to turn into the next Louisville. WKU will be a G5 level school forever. Maybe when they stop losing their coach to schools like Purdue, then you can claim they are growing in stature.

Boise State is still pretty good...I'd still have them at the top of the G5

I'm not saying they are going to be the next anyone....all I'm saying is they have garnered some eyes nationally, which is better than many G5 schools

Compare with Western Michigan...everyone sees them as a flash in the pan with a special season this year.
12-21-2016 12:13 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(12-21-2016 10:36 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  WKU is definitely rising to the Top of the Hill.

I see what you did there.
12-21-2016 12:15 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(12-21-2016 10:36 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  WKU is definitely rising to the Top of the Hill.

Especially the spanking they gave Memphis yesterday. Even with interim coaches.
12-21-2016 12:27 PM
Advertisement

TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
(12-21-2016 12:27 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Especially the spanking they gave Memphis yesterday. Even with interim coaches.

Clearly Memphis was disappointed that it was playing at G4 team. AAC is P4736 and have sticky notes to prove it.

WKU is gonna be a force in CBB.
12-21-2016 02:21 PM
AubTiger16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Auburn/SEC
With the way they are recruiting in basketball they'll be a tough out there too.

The whole athletic program is on the way up.
12-21-2016 06:39 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
At the time I thought the American should have added WKU or UTEP over Tulsa and Tulane. They have stronger fan support for football, and much better basketball programs.
12-22-2016 04:28 PM
virgosports Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Even though Memphis was the underdog for the bowl, with WKU losing their coach, I thought Memphis would win, however, the Hilltoppers proved me wrong. I have always had respect for them for their basketball program and they are definitely proving to be pretty strong in their football as well.
12-22-2016 06:58 PM
virgosports Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(12-21-2016 11:40 AM)goofus Wrote:  WKU is like any other G5 school. They are only as good as their last coach. Not even Boise St or Houston are immune from this.

How is that different for P5 schools other then the blue bloods or a couple that have been stable and decent for a while like TCU or Iowa.
12-22-2016 07:01 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU

For some it might be better to focus on basketball than putting too much effort in football for that reason. And Western has a ton of history.
12-23-2016 07:45 AM
TitanTopper Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WKU
Basketball history for WKU is certainly there and we're working on getting that back with the Stansbury hire. The thing is we have a very unique situation for a G5 school. We've got uk and UofL in the same state. These are programs with multiple Ntl Champsionships and contend year after year. We also have the tradition, but certainly not to that level. KY is a basketball crazy state. However, like in NC, ECU has carved out a niche in FB. The difference for us now is that UofL is making its mark and uk is in the FB crazy SEC. Remember, WKU only moved up to FBS within the last decade, but that's where we're currently making our mark. Again, our goal is to have Top 25 level programs across the board with all of our programs as a G5.
12-23-2016 09:28 AM
FUB Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
C'mon 65 percent of their 30 million is subsidy . That money will be going soon. Students will not keep that up.
12-23-2016 10:17 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

(12-23-2016 10:17 AM)FUB Wrote:  C'mon 65 percent of their 30 million is subsidy . That money will be going soon. Students will not keep that up.

[Image: 59d.jpg]
12-23-2016 10:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.