Open TigerLinks

Rock and Roll HOF--Tupac FINALLY In
Bookmark and Share
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Rock and Roll HOF--Tupac FINALLY In
Jeebus

He will be (of course in spirit only) sharing the stage with musical contemporaries Journey, ELO, Pearl Jam, Joan Baez, and Yes.

I am really looking forward to the day Michael Jordan is elected to the NHL Hall of Fame.
12-20-2016 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oldmangrizz Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
RE: Rock and Roll HOF--Tupac FINALLY In
I've seen more R&R bands in concert than Tupac has ever heard of. I should be in the HOF before him.
12-20-2016 01:24 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
(12-20-2016 01:24 PM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  I've seen more R&R bands in concert than Tupac has ever heard of. I should be in the HOF before him.

Bathroom stall trysts with groupies that the roadies turned down doesn't qualify you.
12-20-2016 01:30 PM
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
He's just another on a long list of inductees that aren't close to being considered "Rock and Roll". I'm not a huge Tupac fan, but he's had a HUGE impact on music.

They really need to change the name of that Hall of Fame to something other than "Rock and Roll".
12-20-2016 01:49 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
LOL. We have this conversation every year. If you feel that strongly about it let's take out every country, blues, dance, metal, grunge, etc group and artist that has been inducted. There hasn't been rock and roll for 40 years.
12-20-2016 02:08 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Coming together is more what the spirit of rock and roll is about.
Musicians are all influenced by each other. I doubt any 'rock' groups are complaining.

TUPAC is well deserving of this honor.
12-20-2016 02:11 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

12-20-2016 02:11 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
"Rock & roll is not an instrument; rock & roll is not even a style of music. Rock & roll is a spirit. … It's been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock & roll, heavy metal, punk rock and, yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. …Rock & roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life."
12-20-2016 04:10 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(12-20-2016 02:08 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  LOL. We have this conversation every year. If you feel that strongly about it let's take out every country, blues, dance, metal, grunge, etc group and artist that has been inducted. There hasn't been rock and roll for 40 years.

Black Crowes is 100% rock and roll and to think Tupac is in over them (or hell, just made it in the same year as Yes or Journey despite their being eligible for years) is a joke. And much of what you describe above is rock and roll.

I have no fault with the precursors to what became rock being inducted, as they were the inspiration for what became rock. However, just because country and rockabilly inspired early stages of rock doesn't mean that George Strait should be in the R&R HOF. Same goes for R&B and it's progeny as it pertains to the HOF.

I think one can make a straight faced argument for Run DMC. They certainly mainstreamed the idea of rock and rap coming together and likely served as a template for later acts like Limp Bizkit, Incubus, and Rage.

LL also incorporated some rock crossover in his early stuff and his unplugged episode was much more of a rock performance than rap.

The Beastie Boys essentially sampled Zeppelin throughout Licensed (among many other rock samples) and No Sleep til Brooklyn was a rock song.

Public Enemy has their crossover with Anthrax, but I'm still not sure they have a true "rock and roll" tie in. Same for NWA. Great group, but I don't get the tie in.

Tupac? But there is nothing about his music that even tips a hat to rock (at least that can be said about NWA and P.E.).
12-20-2016 04:15 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(12-20-2016 04:10 PM)3601 Wrote:  "Rock & roll is not an instrument; rock & roll is not even a style of music. Rock & roll is a spirit. … It's been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock & roll, heavy metal, punk rock and, yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. …Rock & roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life."

“Respectfully let me know when Jimi Hendrix gets into the Hip Hop Hall Of Fame. Then you’ll have a point.”
12-20-2016 04:17 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(12-20-2016 04:17 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(12-20-2016 04:10 PM)3601 Wrote:  "Rock & roll is not an instrument; rock & roll is not even a style of music. Rock & roll is a spirit. … It's been going since the blues, jazz, bebop, soul, R&B, rock & roll, heavy metal, punk rock and, yes, hip-hop. And what connects us all is that spirit. …Rock & roll is not conforming to the people who came before you, but creating your own path in music and in life."

“Respectfully let me know when Jimi Hendrix gets into the Hip Hop Hall Of Fame. Then you’ll have a point.”

I put it in quotes because it wasn't my words. I thought it was an interesting quote that related to the topic of this thread. Sue me.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2016 04:30 PM by 3601.)
12-20-2016 04:24 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(12-20-2016 04:15 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(12-20-2016 02:08 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  LOL. We have this conversation every year. If you feel that strongly about it let's take out every country, blues, dance, metal, grunge, etc group and artist that has been inducted. There hasn't been rock and roll for 40 years.

Black Crowes is 100% rock and roll and to think Tupac is in over them (or hell, just made it in the same year as Yes or Journey despite their being eligible for years) is a joke. And much of what you describe above is rock and roll.

I have no fault with the precursors to what became rock being inducted, as they were the inspiration for what became rock. However, just because country and rockabilly inspired early stages of rock doesn't mean that George Strait should be in the R&R HOF. Same goes for R&B and it's progeny as it pertains to the HOF.

I think one can make a straight faced argument for Run DMC. They certainly mainstreamed the idea of rock and rap coming together and likely served as a template for later acts like Limp Bizkit, Incubus, and Rage.

LL also incorporated some rock crossover in his early stuff and his unplugged episode was much more of a rock performance than rap.

The Beastie Boys essentially sampled Zeppelin throughout Licensed (among many other rock samples) and No Sleep til Brooklyn was a rock song.

Public Enemy has their crossover with Anthrax, but I'm still not sure they have a true "rock and roll" tie in. Same for NWA. Great group, but I don't get the tie in.

Tupac? But there is nothing about his music that even tips a hat to rock (at least that can be said about NWA and P.E.).

But we're not discussing which specific band should get in over another, are we? We are just saying that all genres that contribute to the spirit of rock and roll should be in the running.

I agree that I would not have put 2Pac in over some of the ones you mentioned...But I would still put Rappers in the rock and roll hall of fame.

It's all real to me Dammit! All music!
12-20-2016 04:24 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(12-20-2016 12:08 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Jeebus

He will be (of course in spirit only) sharing the stage with musical contemporaries Journey, ELO, Pearl Jam, Joan Baez, and Yes.

I am really looking forward to the day Michael Jordan is elected to the NHL Hall of Fame.

I refuse to watch a Rock n Roll HOF induction until The Moody Blues are rightfully inducted in.
That selection process is a sham. No one more deserving.
12-20-2016 04:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

o yea...the Moody Blues aren't in...dayum. That's ridiculous.
12-20-2016 04:39 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

Is Xavion in yet?
12-20-2016 04:45 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(12-20-2016 04:24 PM)3601 Wrote:  

I put it in quotes because it wasn't my words. I thought it was an interesting quote that related to the topic of this thread. Sue me.

And I quoted the person who responded to the person you quoted.
12-20-2016 04:46 PM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(12-20-2016 04:45 PM)3601 Wrote:  Is Xavion in yet?

When they get in, the first words of their acceptance speech should be "Eat your heart out."
12-20-2016 04:47 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(12-20-2016 04:46 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Isn't a rule that you automatically lose a debate the second that you quote Gene Simmons?
12-20-2016 04:50 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(12-20-2016 04:24 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(12-20-2016 04:15 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

But we're not discussing which specific band should get in over another, are we? We are just saying that all genres that contribute to the spirit of rock and roll should be in the running.

I agree that I would not have put 2Pac in over some of the ones you mentioned...But I would still put Rappers in the rock and roll hall of fame.

It's all real to me Dammit! All music!

If it were the "Music Hall of Fame" then sure.

It is the "rock and roll" HOF. Country has a HOF, R&B has one.

I liken a rap artist getting into the R&R HOF the same way sports HOF's induct non-players (like GM's and announcers).

Those guys get in for their "contribution to the sport." Vin Scully never played baseball but but his broadcasting was synonymous with the Dodgers and baseball as a whole.

Sorta like Run DMC. Their collaboration w/ Aerosmith opened up brand new avenues to artists in both rock and rap and made that combination mainstream.

So even though they weren't a "rock" band, their contribution to the genre is significant. I think the Beasties, LL and PE can have arguments made for that.

NWA is much more of a reach and Tupac's in utterly nonexistent.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2016 04:55 PM by salukiblue.)
12-20-2016 04:52 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(12-20-2016 04:50 PM)3601 Wrote:  
(12-20-2016 04:46 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Isn't a rule that you automatically lose a debate the second that you quote Gene Simmons?

Says the guy quoting this authority on "the spirit" of rock and roll:

[Image: wpid-ice-cube-sesame-street.png]
12-20-2016 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.