Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OS Q&A with Aresco
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
OS Q&A with Aresco
Quote:Q: How do you see the American in regards to its bowl games? Do you think it's in good shape?

A: "I think it can be stronger. I like the destinations that we have. I think we can do even better in the next round. I think we did a really good job in getting the tie-ins that we had considering what happened to us four years ago when we had bowl tie-ins that disappeared. But I think in terms of revenue, in terms of the prominence of the games, in terms of the opponents – getting more and more P5 opponents. When the current bowl system ends in 2019, I think we'll have a chance to really upgrade our bowl situation. Now having said that, we have great locations. How can you argue with Orlando, Boca, Bahamas, Las Vegas, Birmingham? We've got some really good sites. It's a good lineup, but we don't play nearly as many P5 schools that we should. One of the concerns I have is our champion isn't getting a chance to play not only on New Year's Day but one of the top teams in the P5, so consequently that's something we'll try to remedy as we move forward."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/co...olumn.html
12-19-2016 09:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: OS Q&A with Aresco
Quote:How can you argue with Orlando, Boca, Bahamas, Las Vegas, Birmingham?

one of these things is not like the others
one of these things just doesn't belong
can you guess which thing
is not like the others
before I finish this song...
12-19-2016 10:13 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(12-19-2016 10:13 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  
Quote:How can you argue with Orlando, Boca, Bahamas, Las Vegas, Birmingham?

one of these things is not like the others
one of these things just doesn't belong
can you guess which thing
is not like the others
before I finish this song...

Haha...yes, one is certainly not like the others. You might as well did a Paris, London, Rome, Kalamazoo comparison.
Cheers!
12-19-2016 10:52 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(12-19-2016 09:18 AM)gulfcoastgal Wrote:  
Quote:Q: How do you see the American in regards to its bowl games? Do you think it's in good shape?

A: "I think it can be stronger. I like the destinations that we have. I think we can do even better in the next round. I think we did a really good job in getting the tie-ins that we had considering what happened to us four years ago when we had bowl tie-ins that disappeared. But I think in terms of revenue, in terms of the prominence of the games, in terms of the opponents – getting more and more P5 opponents. When the current bowl system ends in 2019, I think we'll have a chance to really upgrade our bowl situation. Now having said that, we have great locations. How can you argue with Orlando, Boca, Bahamas, Las Vegas, Birmingham? We've got some really good sites. It's a good lineup, but we don't play nearly as many P5 schools that we should. One of the concerns I have is our champion isn't getting a chance to play not only on New Year's Day but one of the top teams in the P5, so consequently that's something we'll try to remedy as we move forward."

I'll be surprised if Aresco doesn't run for political office soon. A lot of words come pouring out of his mouth, but he never really says anything. A trained parrot would be a lot cheaper. I'd do the job for 85,000 base plus company car. Save the conference a couple million a year.
Cheers!
12-19-2016 11:06 AM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
OS Q&A with Aresco
(12-19-2016 11:06 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

I'll be surprised if Aresco doesn't run for political office soon. A lot of words come pouring out of his mouth, but he never really says anything. A trained parrot would be a lot cheaper. I'd do the job for 85,000 base plus company car. Save the conference a couple million a year.
Cheers!

Thats basically what i got from a whole lot of expensive nothing.
12-19-2016 11:14 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think the true sign if he is successful is that he gets the early TV Extension with ESPN. He basically has been stating that was his plan for awhile now. The question is how much will ESPN up the contract and for how long? When does the BIG East Money run out? Also, when does the NCAA Basketball Credits severely drop off?
12-19-2016 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

Cheers!

Ehhh. It will get marginally better the next time around---but what is needed (a good guaranteed anchor bowl for our champion) seems impossible. The only route I see is if the Miami Bowl payout is bumped up to attract a quality P5 opponent. Otherwise---tell me what bowl game is going to drop a high selection from a P5 to take our champ? No existing bowl is going to do that.
12-19-2016 01:28 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane

Mikey Aresco will collect about $5mm till then, to do what, idk. Good gig if you can get it.
12-19-2016 01:42 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
I bet the Bahamas bowl goes away...

If we can get a decent bowl for our champion, which after our recent success seems very likely, and locked in four P5 tie-ins, I'd take that...

I thought we were going to try and 'grow' the Miami Beach... I'd be interested in our plans for that bowl...
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2016 01:58 PM by Bull.)
12-19-2016 01:58 PM
Attackcoog Online

(12-19-2016 01:58 PM)Bull Wrote:  I bet the Bahamas bowl goes away...

If we can get a decent bowl for our champion, which after our recent success seems very likely, and locked in four P5 tie-ins, I'd take that...

I thought we were going to try and 'grow' the Miami Beach... I'd be interested in our plans for that bowl...

Agree. In fact, Id dump Bahamas Bowl and the Hawaii Bowl. Pick up NOLA vs the SB Champ.

Like I said, I don't see huge improvement---just some incremental improvement. Here's what I think we can reasonably accomplish in the next bowl cycle--

1) Dump Hawaii and Bahamas Bowls

2) Pick up NOLA

3) Pick up a full time tie to Ft Worth

4) Pick up a full time ACC tie for St Pete

5) Pick up a full or partial tie in Heart of Dallas vs P5 or Indy Bowl vs P5.

6) Upgrade Miami Beach Bowl opponent (P5 #7-9).

6) Long shot---get a guaranteed solid post season destination for our champ (could be Miami with a really good opponent upgrade--P5 #3-#5 selection).
12-19-2016 02:10 PM
HP-TBDPITL Offline
All American

I Root For: College Sports
The issue isn't the opponent of the MB Bowl, it is clearly the time. Last year was BYU. This year should have been a Saturday time slot, not Monday afternoon.
12-19-2016 02:56 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
AAC has to keep away from G4 opponents for its bowl game... Definitely makes the Beach Bowl game extremely undesirable even for those bottom feeder low level so called p5 opponent.
12-19-2016 03:25 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

(12-19-2016 01:28 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Cheers!

Ehhh. It will get marginally better the next time around---but what is needed (a good guaranteed anchor bowl for our champion) seems impossible. The only route I see is if the Miami Bowl payout is bumped up to attract a quality P5 opponent. Otherwise---tell me what bowl game is going to drop a high selection from a P5 to take our champ? No existing bowl is going to do that.

That's the rub with Aresco. People like me say he has done little and the typical reply is "well he had no options and had to take what he can get", well then why the hell pay him almost as much as each of our schools earn in TOTAL! It's not about whether Aresco cares or makes sure to utilize his travel budget to do radio interviews in every town, it's about him being horrendously overpaid. All these NCAA folks, admins and commissioners are robbing consumers.........and Aresco is at the top of the list. He sold himself as an insider TV guy yet has basically accomplished nothing. I guess congrats on fooling everyone?
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2016 04:07 PM by wavefan12.)
12-19-2016 04:06 PM
Attackcoog Online

(12-19-2016 04:06 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  
(12-19-2016 01:28 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Cheers!

That's the rub with Aresco. People like me say he has done little and the typical reply is "well he had no options and had to take what he can get", well then why the hell pay him almost as much as each of our schools earn in TOTAL! It's not about whether Aresco cares or makes sure to utilize his travel budget to do radio interviews in every town, it's about him being horrendously overpaid. All these NCAA folks, admins and commissioners are robbing consumers.........and Aresco is at the top of the list. He sold himself as an insider TV guy yet has basically accomplished nothing. I guess congrats on fooling everyone?

Yeah...that contract was inked when were still BCS and had Louisville, Rutgers, Notre Dame, and the C7. The TV contract for that group would have supported the level of hire we have. When the situation changed radically---there wasn't much that could be done. Given our situation, a hire of his level is probably overkill.
12-19-2016 04:12 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Set up a bowl game with Army.
12-19-2016 04:43 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The MB Bowl can be upgraded to after Xmas day and vs ACC.
12-19-2016 04:48 PM
Advertisement

wavefan12 Offline
All American

(12-19-2016 04:48 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  The MB Bowl can be upgraded to after Xmas day and vs ACC.

Is the ACC aware of this?
12-19-2016 04:55 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-19-2016 04:55 PM)wavefan12 Wrote:  
(12-19-2016 04:48 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  The MB Bowl can be upgraded to after Xmas day and vs ACC.

Is the ACC aware of this?

Actually they are but nothing will happen until next bowl sign in period and if the MB Bowl can change its date and increase pay out. Many ACC schools would love a trip down to Miami instead of other destinations their lower bowls have.
12-19-2016 05:31 PM
Bull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF and the AAC!
I have seen on other threads that TV somehow 'controls' when bowl games are played... but if we own the MBB bowl I don't see how we don't control it... Didn't we create our own bowl just for that purpose? To control the opponent, date, time?
12-19-2016 05:31 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(12-19-2016 05:31 PM)Bull Wrote:  I have seen on other threads that TV somehow 'controls' when bowl games are played... but if we own the MBB bowl I don't see how we don't control it... Didn't we create our own bowl just for that purpose? To control the opponent, date, time?

Yes but you also need to work with tv to get dates and times. The MB Bowl was a late addition in last go around so it had no choice but get the slots available. There is a commitment to work on upgrading date, payouts and opponnents
12-19-2016 05:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.