Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Rankings
Bookmark and Share
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
Basketball Rankings
Basically i'm bored and want to stir up basketball discussion leading into conference play.. I'm gonna throw some rankings out there, just based on what i have seen on this board and some articles I have read.. Here we go

1. Ohio
2. Akron
3. Eastern Michigan
4. Buffalo
5. Central Michigan
6. Kent State
7. Toledo
8. Northern Illinois
9. Ball State
10. Bowling Green
11. Western Michigan
12. Miami

Discuss...
12-16-2016 03:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
RE: Basketball Rankings
Seems like a pretty fair list. If Akron beats Marshall Saturday that would probably be enough for me to slide them into the #1 spot.
12-16-2016 03:50 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
I think we will find out a lot about where EMU stands tomorrow when they go to Vermont. Probably our last chance at a solid OOC win, since I can't see us beating Syracuse, and Long Beach State has been a huge disappointment.

We've looked dominant at times (Detroit, Omaha), but awful and listless as well (SMU, IUPUI). Safe to say we fall somewhere between those performances. On any given night, we are good enough to handle anyone in the MAC, and inconsistent enough to lose to anyone too. Such is life with Murphy at the helm.
12-16-2016 03:51 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(12-16-2016 03:50 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Seems like a pretty fair list. If Akron beats Marshall Saturday that would probably be enough for me to slide them into the #1 spot.

Agreed. OU's not playing like the top dog with that lose to Iona and that squeaker against Milwaukee.
12-16-2016 04:33 PM
BullBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Buffalo
(12-16-2016 04:33 PM)BobcatEngineer Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 03:50 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Seems like a pretty fair list. If Akron beats Marshall Saturday that would probably be enough for me to slide them into the #1 spot.

Agreed. OU's not playing like the top dog with that lose to Iona and that squeaker against Milwaukee.

I had the hardest time really picking a number 1, because i don't know that anyone has really played like it yet.
12-16-2016 04:36 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-16-2016 03:41 PM)BullBoy Wrote:  Basically i'm bored and want to stir up basketball discussion leading into conference play.. I'm gonna throw some rankings out there, just based on what i have seen on this board and some articles I have read.. Here we go

1. Ohio
2. Akron
3. Eastern Michigan
4. Buffalo
5. Central Michigan
6. Kent State
7. Toledo
8. Northern Illinois
9. Ball State
10. Bowling Green
11. Western Michigan
12. Miami

Discuss...

I would swap positions with Ball State and Central Michigan. ... CMU's one trick offense/no defense is not going to hold up for 18 games of MAC play.
12-16-2016 05:24 PM
Advertisement

eich41 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CMU
(12-16-2016 05:24 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 03:41 PM)BullBoy Wrote:  Basically i'm bored and want to stir up basketball discussion leading into conference play.. I'm gonna throw some rankings out there, just based on what i have seen on this board and some articles I have read.. Here we go

1. Ohio
2. Akron
3. Eastern Michigan
4. Buffalo
5. Central Michigan
6. Kent State
7. Toledo
8. Northern Illinois
9. Ball State
10. Bowling Green
11. Western Michigan
12. Miami

Discuss...

I would swap positions with Ball State and Central Michigan. ... CMU's one trick offense/no defense is not going to hold up for 18 games of MAC play.

Based on what? CMU is 8-3 with some of the better OOC wins the MAC has. Their three losses are to a tourney team from last year (UALR) St. Bonaventure who is solid, and Illinois. Your comment about the one trick offense/no defense is simply refuted with the fact that they've won back to back MACW titles and were a 3 pointer away from winning the MAC tourney two years ago (after winning the regular season title), running the same offense and having the same defense that you're claiming is their weakness now.

If anything I'd say CMU might be a bit low there given that they've had as strong of a resume as anyone outside of maybe Ohio to date.
12-16-2016 09:16 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-16-2016 09:16 PM)eich41 Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 05:24 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

1. Ohio
2. Akron
3. Eastern Michigan
4. Buffalo
5. Central Michigan
6. Kent State
7. Toledo
8. Northern Illinois
9. Ball State
10. Bowling Green
11. Western Michigan
12. Miami

Discuss...

Based on what? CMU is 8-3 with some of the better OOC wins the MAC has. Their three losses are to a tourney team from last year (UALR) St. Bonaventure who is solid, and Illinois. Your comment about the one trick offense/no defense is simply refuted with the fact that they've won back to back MACW titles and were a 3 pointer away from winning the MAC tourney two years ago (after winning the regular season title), running the same offense and having the same defense that you're claiming is their weakness now.

If anything I'd say CMU might be a bit low there given that they've had as strong of a resume as anyone outside of maybe Ohio to date.

Revisionist history ... Buffalo had a two possession lead with two minutes to play and CMU never got any closer. ... That said, your point is well taken ... but personally don't see it happening.
12-16-2016 09:37 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
Ball State is much better than #9. Eastern Michigan is worse than #3.
12-16-2016 10:38 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Ohio has not played a real strong team like Akron has. Bobcats gave away a couple games they took early leads in.
12-16-2016 11:51 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
There are teams below Toledo? Hard to imagine.
12-17-2016 01:50 PM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-17-2016 01:50 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  There are teams below Toledo? Hard to imagine.

I could see us finishing anywhere from 8-12. Maybe higher if a couple schools suffer massive academic losses as we enter the new semester. No need to study for thos finals, guys...
12-17-2016 02:19 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(12-16-2016 03:51 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  I think we will find out a lot about where EMU stands tomorrow when they go to Vermont. Probably our last chance at a solid OOC win, since I can't see us beating Syracuse, and Long Beach State has been a huge disappointment.

We've looked dominant at times (Detroit, Omaha), but awful and listless as well (SMU, IUPUI). Safe to say we fall somewhere between those performances. On any given night, we are good enough to handle anyone in the MAC, and inconsistent enough to lose to anyone too. Such is life with Murphy at the helm.

Vermont 82
EMU 74
final
12-17-2016 03:06 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
Looking at Buffalo's results to date-

L 3 Xavier (8-2)
L 4 Creighton (10-0)
L 30 Nevada (9-2)
L 39 Pitt (8-2)
L 86 St Bona (6-3)
W 297 Weber St (1-6)
W 299 Niagara (3-8)
W 315 Coppin St (0-11)

what a crazy gap, not a single team between 86 and 297 RPI. There's no way to really judge the Bulls from this.
12-17-2016 03:19 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(12-17-2016 03:06 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 03:51 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  I think we will find out a lot about where EMU stands tomorrow when they go to Vermont. Probably our last chance at a solid OOC win, since I can't see us beating Syracuse, and Long Beach State has been a huge disappointment.

Vermont 82
EMU 74
final

Different year, same issues. We will probably finish with a similar record as last year.
12-17-2016 03:33 PM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Basketball Rankings
It is officially basketball season
12-17-2016 09:47 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
My rankings to date

1. Eastern Michigan
2. Central Michigan
3. Kent State
4. Ohio
5. Buffalo
6. Toledo
7. Akron
8. Bowling Green
9. Ball State
10. Western Michigan
11. Northern Illinois
12. Miami

Some of this is SOS driven which is why Akron is a bit low. In my system, EMU/CMU/KENT have separated themselves as the most efficient offenses.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2016 01:05 AM by MaddDawgz02.)
12-18-2016 01:01 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(12-18-2016 01:01 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  My rankings to date

1. Eastern Michigan
2. Central Michigan
3. Kent State
4. Ohio
5. Buffalo
6. Toledo
7. Akron
8. Bowling Green
9. Ball State
10. Western Michigan
11. Northern Illinois
12. Miami

Some of this is SOS driven which is why Akron is a bit low. In my system, EMU/CMU/KENT have separated themselves as the most efficient offenses.

Do you include games against non-D1 teams in your offensive and defensive metrics? EMU has learned how to fool most ranking systems (RPI, KenPom, Sagarin) by playing non-D1 teams instead of the lower ranked D1 squads. This artificially drives their strength of schedule up since those games don't count. Since they are 3-4 against D1 competition I'm guessing their metrics look considerably different without those games included.
12-18-2016 09:39 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

(12-18-2016 01:01 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  My rankings to date

1. Eastern Michigan
2. Central Michigan
3. Kent State
4. Ohio
5. Buffalo
6. Toledo
7. Akron
8. Bowling Green
9. Ball State
10. Western Michigan
11. Northern Illinois
12. Miami

I actually thought Akron has played one of the tougher MAC schedules to date. They played Creighton and Gonzaga plus played Air Force, Georgia Southern, Marshall, YSU, Mercer who are all .500 or better. Add in the fact they played only 1 non D1 school, while other MAC teams scheduled as many as 4. Sure American, Radford, and Coppin State aren't good, but they would still beat the NAIA teams that the team in your #1 slot scheduled.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2016 10:12 AM by kreed5120.)
12-18-2016 10:06 AM
Wadszip Offline
2nd String

Ranking the teams this year is next to impossible because you have to grasp at straws to find anything that is worth touting for anybody, but I'll give it a shot.

The contenders:

Akron: Has the most top 200 Kenpom wins with four and has two non-embarrassing losses on the road to top 25 ranked teams. But the Zips also have a horrible loss at Youngstown State (276). It just shows how weak all the resumes are that you have to tout top 200 wins. Last year at this time, Akron had 3 top 100ish wins (@Arkansas, Iona, UC-Santa Barbara) and another top 120ish (@Marshall). This year, the best win is No. 141 Marshall at home (which sadly is the No. 3 ranked win for the league).

Ohio: The Bobcats' 67-65 OT win against No. 118 Georgia Tech is the second highest for the league. But the Bobcats have just one other top 200 win (No. 172 Sam Houston State). Ohio doesn't have a unthinkable loss like Akron, but the two losses were against teams ranked 100 or below (No. 100 Iona and No. 141 Marshall).

Buffalo: With five games against top 75 ranked teams, the Bulls have played, pretty easily, the strongest schedule. No shame in those losses, and three were close games. But the Canisius loss (No. 183) was bad. The Bulls have just three D1 wins and the best was No. 176 Weber State. After that, it's 269 Niagara and 346 Coppin State.

Central Michigan: The second most top 200 wins with three (143 William & Mary and No. 157 Green Bay (twice)). No horrible losses. Maybe resume wise, you could make a case they should be No. 1, slightly, but again I'm comparing the best of the mediocre. I'm mainly keeping CMU here because I thought Akron/Buffalo/Ohio were the top three teams coming in and nobody has done anything to definitely say they still shouldn't be the top three.

Eastern Michigan: Only three D1 wins with the best, and only in the top 200, being No. 156 Omaha. The OT loss to No. 58 Pittsburgh is the best thing on the resume so far. Loss to No. 155 IUPUI isn't horrible. Too hard to judge them.

The middle:

Toledo: The Rockets are also hard to gauge and maybe could be in the above group. They have the highest ranked win against No. 116 Evansville in OT. Speaking of OT, have played four OT games already and a one-point game against St. Joseph's. Outside of the Evansville win, no others in the top 200. But they don't have any bad losses, No. 157 Green Bay being the worst. They've played No. 59 Middle Tennessee twice in the state of Tennessee. Both games were close (one in OT).

Ball State: Best win is No. 196 Eastern Kentucky in OT. No horrible losses (No. 163 Indiana State the worst). This is about as meh as it gets as, though, because outside No. 75 Valpo or No. 79 Alabama, haven't played anybody.

Kent State: Has beaten (or played) absolutely nobody. Best win is No. 208 NJIT. They also have a horrible loss to No. 205 South Dakota and bad loss to No. 171 Northeastern. I guess that's how you out "meh" Ball State.

The bad:

Bowling Green: Two sub 200 losses (South Dakota and UMKC). The other losses aren't horrible, though. BG's best win is against No. 159 Murray State.

Northern Illinois: Two sub 200 losses (Northridge and Cal Poly). Best win is No. 163 Indiana State in OT (which they also turned around and lost to). There is really nothing you could sort of brag about.

Western Michigan: Only two D1 wins and the best being No. 227 James Madison. On the bright side, four of the losses have been to teams 100 or better (Villanova, Wilmington, Oakland, Boise). On the downside, a 23-point loss to No. 226 Cleveland State and a 10-point loss to No. 287 UTEP look horrible.

Miami: Two sub 200 losses (Wright State, Delaware); two more bad losses (No. 193 Northern Kentucky and No. 168 Missouri). Three of the four wins are to teams ranked sub 300. On the bright side, they do have a win over No. 155 IUPUI, which actually is one of the better ones for the league.
12-18-2016 04:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.