Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marcus Marshall transfers from Georgia Tech to JMU
Bookmark and Share
JMUDuke25 Online
All American

I Root For: JMU
Jon Stout ‏@JonStout89 15m15 minutes ago
Just In: Former @MillbrookSports RB Marcus Marshall (@mdmarshall34) will transfer from @GeorgiaTechFB to @JMUFootball. #HSOT
12-15-2016 07:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMUDuke25 Online
All American

RE: Marcus Marshall transfers from Georgia Tech to JMU
(12-15-2016 07:58 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  Jon Stout ‏@JonStout89 15m15 minutes ago
Just In: Former @MillbrookSports RB Marcus Marshall (@mdmarshall34) will transfer from @GeorgiaTechFB to @JMUFootball. #HSOT

Direct tweet from Marshall

https://twitter.com/mdmarshall34/status/...7117875207
12-15-2016 08:00 PM
Dukes86 Offline
2nd String

Should be an awesome quartet of Marshall, Johnson, Sharp, and Woods.
12-15-2016 08:02 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah, we were talking it up in the recruiting thread pushpinned above. This is a HUUUUUGE get for the Dukes FB program.

Marshall will have 2 years of eligibility left. Being a Yellow Jacket myself, I was saddened to see him leave my alma mater, but completely understood why and wasn't shocked at all.

He will be a great one at JMU. Looks like Vad likely helped us on this one. If we get some kind of pipeline going from GT, I'll be pleased with that.

GT's loss is JMU's huge gain.
12-15-2016 08:03 PM
DBJMU2006 Online
1st String

He was their leading rusher at 624 yards with a 6.5 yard average. Have fun next year CAA defenses!
12-15-2016 08:41 PM
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Was really hoping he would come to JMU. HUGE get for the Dukes!!! Closer to a Vad Lee get than a Connor Mitch get.
12-15-2016 09:22 PM
Advertisement

hburg Online

Why did he transfer? Curious.
12-15-2016 09:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

(12-15-2016 09:51 PM)hburg Wrote:  Why did he transfer? Curious.

I think he was a starter his freshman year at Tech and then lost his starting spot/split time with another back and he wants more carries. JMU was the only FCS team in his final 4 (can play right away) and his dad was a star at JMU. All that and the fact he sees how awesome the Dukes are this season and what a great coach Houston is!!
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 09:59 PM by formerjmusprinter84.)
12-15-2016 09:57 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2016 09:51 PM)hburg Wrote:  Why did he transfer? Curious.

He left GT (as expected) showing nothing but class. He thanked everyone and said it was a tough decision. This is pure speculation on my part, but I believe strongly the driver here is that he was the starter as a true freshman during a tough 2015 season. He entered this past spring as the starter and was displaced to the #2 RB behind 2016 true frosh, Derrick Mills. Mills performed well in the games he played don't get me wrong. Mills was the starter for the opener in Dublin, Ireland, in the win over Boston College opening weekend. In fact, scored the winning TD while Marshall remained on the sidelines in the last minute of the game there.

Then, Mills was suspended for Game #2 (win over Mercer). That raised some eyebrows among Tech fans. I won't get into the rumblings of why because this is about MM. Marshall played well in Mills' brief absence. Held onto the starting role briefly until Mills took it and the bulk of the workload back over mid-season. Then, Mills was suspended again. This time for 2 games. In those 2 games - wins at Va Tech and home over UVA - Marshall looked like his normal strong self yet again. But, when Mills came off suspension, Paul Johnson pretty much went back to him in the season-ending win at Georgia...though, MM played well.

I think MM sees himself as the #2 RB heading into next year. Though, Paul Johnson may get burned because another strike by Mills and he's done. JMU was one of his 4 finalists coming out of HS. His signing with GT was a bit of a surprise to most as he was thought to be headed to hometown NC State. He never showed signs that he was uptight with Paul Johnson's unique offense or anything like that. Again, speculation on my part, I think (and rightfully so IMO) he was put off by being demoted this past season...though he handled it with class all year and stepped up when given the opportunities.
12-15-2016 10:05 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
Wow. This sounds like a HUGE get for JMU.
12-15-2016 10:22 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2016 10:22 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Wow. This sounds like a HUGE get for JMU.

It is. I recall LOL reading the other JMU board when Vad Lee announced he was coming to JMU and some Dukes fans said he will struggle to beat out Birdsong. I had seen them both many times. I knew Withers favored Vad as he recruited him in HS when at UNCheat.

Marshall is very good. He has top end speed. When he's in the open field with daylight, I've yet to see anybody catch him. He's done it at a high level against solid competition. Unfortunately for him, GT's offensive line during his freshman season in 2015 was...well...offensive. Terrible. Much better this year. Even with terrible O-Line play to Paul Johnson's standards in '15, Marshall performed well. He can catch the ball and go as well.

In JMU's offense with 1) superior O-Line play as we've seen all year (and last few years for that matter); 2) a terrific scheme that is RB-friendly; and 3) P5-level size, speed and vision...he can have the same kind of impact as Vad did though at a different position. The only negative in his game was he tended to put the ball on the ground too often. Though, he wasn't as bad this 2nd season and he altered the way he held the ball to improve on not giving it up.

He is not a bruiser like many of Paul Johnson's B-Backs are running between the tackles. Instead, GT liked getting him out to the sides whenever they could. Still, as a B-Back in Johnson's offense, he was required to run the dive at times 25+ times a game whether he got the ball or not. He did break some up the middle. He's very difficult to get down. First you have to catch him which is a challenge.

We indeed got a very good RB. And, he's a really good kid. Very intelligent.
12-15-2016 10:31 PM
Advertisement

JMUNation Offline
All American

His dad put the ball on the ground a lot as well.
12-16-2016 12:04 AM
84Breeze Offline
Special Teams

(12-16-2016 12:04 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  His dad put the ball on the ground a lot as well.

Let's focus on positives please! The kid comes from good JMU stock! Looks like a great addition!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-16-2016 12:23 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Big day for JMU FB (Obviously) but yesterday was pretty good as well (Marshall transferring and the 3 star DL commit). Go Dukes!
12-16-2016 08:18 AM
BSKB 24 Online
All American

If he is half as good as Warren Marshall, he will be a great one. Welcome aboard.
12-16-2016 08:20 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

As FYI, his older brother, Keith, was a 5* recruit who signed with Georgia. He had to sit behind Todd Gurley for much of his time there. Keith was drafted in the 7th round by the Skins before being injured in preseason knocking him out for the season. I believe Keith will still be in the mix to make the team next preseason.

After sitting for much of his time behind Gurley, I have no proof of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marcus and his parents essentially felt like they didn't want to go through another 2 years of that. JMU is a great fit for both sides. We have an explosive offense with or without Marcus. Adding him into the mix though to the already-established quality depth we have makes our offense even scarier.

I hope Khalid has a big night tonight (obviously). I'd love to see his NFL stock soar so he can get some looks with this additional exposure this time of year.
12-16-2016 08:25 AM
Advertisement

RootinFerDukes Offline
1st String

(12-16-2016 08:25 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  As FYI, his older brother, Keith, was a 5* recruit who signed with Georgia. He had to sit behind Todd Gurley for much of his time there. Keith was drafted in the 7th round by the Skins before being injured in preseason knocking him out for the season. I believe Keith will still be in the mix to make the team next preseason.

After sitting for much of his time behind Gurley, I have no proof of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Marcus and his parents essentially felt like they didn't want to go through another 2 years of that. JMU is a great fit for both sides. We have an explosive offense with or without Marcus. Adding him into the mix though to the already-established quality depth we have makes our offense even scarier.

I hope Khalid has a big night tonight (obviously). I'd love to see his NFL stock soar so he can get some looks with this additional exposure this time of year.

Keith and Todd were actually really close from their HS days through College. Kind of was a package deal that when you got one the other was going to come to Georgia.
12-16-2016 09:00 AM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

I always thought Keith made a mistake going to Georgia from the time he signed. I thought he should've gone to NC State. Now, I'm a State homer, but I did not say the same thing about Marcus on account of State's RB situation when he left high school. I was surprised to see him go to GT because, frankly, I'm surprised to see anyone with offensive talent go to GT. I couldn't be happier to see another fellow Millbrook Wildcat coming to join the Dukes. Marcus is definitely going to be an impact player.
12-16-2016 10:07 AM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(12-15-2016 08:03 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Yeah, we were talking it up in the recruiting thread pushpinned above. This is a HUUUUUGE get for the Dukes FB program.

Marshall will have 2 years of eligibility left. Being a Yellow Jacket myself, I was saddened to see him leave my alma mater, but completely understood why and wasn't shocked at all.

He wanted to play for someone who could beat Virginia Tech. ;-)
12-16-2016 10:11 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(12-16-2016 10:11 AM)94computerguy Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 08:03 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Yeah, we were talking it up in the recruiting thread pushpinned above. This is a HUUUUUGE get for the Dukes FB program.

He wanted to play for someone who could beat Virginia Tech. ;-)

Not to rain on your parade, but... http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400869486
12-16-2016 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.