Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
University of Minnesota football team boycotting Holiday Bowl over suspended players
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
University of Minnesota football team boycotting Holiday Bowl over suspended players
http://www.startribune.com/ten-gophers-f...406406736/

Quote:Ten Gophers football players were suspended indefinitely by the University of Minnesota on Tuesday, the latest fallout from an incident that happened a few hours after the season began.

The suspended players are Ray Buford, Carlton Djam, Seth Green, KiAnte Hardin, Dior Johnson, Tamarion Johnson, Kobe McCrary, Antonio Shenault, Mark Williams and Antoine Winfield Jr.

Lee Hutton, an attorney representing several of the players, said the suspensions stem from an internal university investigation into the same Sept. 2 incident in a Dinkytown apartment that happened in the early morning hours after the team’s season-opening victory over Oregon State.

The next week, the Gophers suspended four players — Buford, Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson — for an unspecified violation of team rules. Those players missed three games while police investigated, and they were reinstated when Hennepin County declined to press charges. No arrests were made in the alleged incident.

An alleged victim from the Sept. 2 incident, who is part of the Gophers gameday operations, filed restraining orders against those four players, along with Djam, that kept the five players out of TCF Bank Stadium for the Oct. 29 Rutgers game.

The restraining orders were dismissed in a Nov. 2 settlement, which still required the players to stay 20 feet away from the alleged victim.

That day, after a morning of testimony at the Hennepin County Courthouse before Judge Mel Dickstein, the alleged victim gave a statement that said, “I’m glad this is over. This has never been about punishing anyone, I just wanted to feel safe. Because of this resolution that we came to, now I do.”

But the university’s office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (EOAA) conducted its own investigation, which led to these latest suspensions.

According to a person familiar with the case and police documents obtained by the Star Tribune, the five newly suspended players — Green, McCrary, Shenault, Williams and Winfield — were in the apartment on Sept. 2.

The EOAA makes punishment recommendations to the university, and individuals are allowed to appeal. Hutton said all of his clients will appeal, but it’s unclear if they’ll receive a hearing before the Holiday Bowl.

This was investigated by actual investigators and no charges were brought. And the victim settled out of court. It was over, weeks ago.

I suspect emails are flying with threats of lawsuits against the University unless it instructs its EOAA office to immediately dismiss the investigation and any recommendations for suspensions/expulsions. Would not be surprised if heads rolled over this, as well.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 10:09 PM by MplsBison.)
12-14-2016 12:47 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: 10 players on University of Minnesota football team suspended before bowl game
It's encouraging when a school holds its athletes to a higher standard than "no charges were filed". Clearly, something happened involving these players. If their only consequence is that they miss a bowl game and have to stay 20 feet away from the victim, they got off easy.

Bravo, Gophers.
12-14-2016 06:59 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

RE: 10 players on University of Minnesota football team suspended before bowl game
I disagree 100%. The EOAA investigators aren't better than the professionals. 07-coffee3

This isn't some rinky dink Waco P.D.
12-14-2016 07:20 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
It was an alleged sexual assault on a woman who was working on their GameDay operations.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 07:23 PM by NoDak.)
12-14-2016 07:22 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Very progressive of the Minnesota EOAA.
12-14-2016 07:24 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-14-2016 07:22 PM)NoDak Wrote:  It was an alleged sexual assault on a woman who was working on their GameDay operations.

Then why no charges??

Innocent until proven guilty. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2016 07:28 PM by MplsBison.)
12-14-2016 07:24 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-14-2016 07:24 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  Very progressive of the Minnesota EOAA.

Vigilante justice is not a progressive ideal.

And I suggest you leave politics out of it, Kap.
12-14-2016 07:29 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Update today: http://www.startribune.com/sex-assault-a...406564806/

Quote:Hutton said the EOAA recommended expulsion for Ray Buford, Carlton Djam, KiAnte Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson; one-year suspensions from the university for Seth Green, Kobe McCrary, Mark Williams and Antoine Winfield Jr., and probation for Antonio Shenault.

Quote:On Sept. 8, police investigators Eric Faulconer and Matthew Wente interviewed Djam. He acknowledged having sex with the woman, but was adamant that it was consensual. As proof, he played them three separate videos, totaling about 90 seconds, taken that morning.

During an 8-second clip, the woman “appears lucid, alert, somewhat playful and fully conscious; she does not appear to be objecting to anything at this time,” Wente wrote in his report. After viewing two additional videos, he wrote “the sexual contact appears entirely consensual.”

Police later interviewed four other players, who each said the sex was consensual.

On Sept. 30, Wente sent the investigation to the Hennepin County Attorney’s office for possible prosecution. In it, he wrote about the videos, “at no time does she indicate that she is in distress or that the contact is unwelcome or nonconsensual.”

On Oct. 3 the attorney’s office announced there would be no charges.

Afterward, the alleged victim filed a restraining order against six of the players, asking that they be made to stay away from the stadium. After a judge granted the orders, the woman dropped a petition against one of the players.

Hutton, the players’ attorney, appealed, setting up a hearing where the woman testified for several hours. The hearing eventually ended in a settlement — the restraining order would be dropped, but the players still had to stay 20 feet away from the woman and have no contact with her. The two sides also agreed that neither would be able to file a lawsuit.

“I’m glad this is over,” the student read in a statement after the hearing. “This has never been about punishing anyone, I just wanted to feel safe. Because of this resolution that we came to, now I do.”

But the EOAA doesn't have to follow the law, it can make up whatever recommendations it wants, simply because a complaint was filed.

I think there's very little chance the players get to play in the bowl game. Starting safety and cornerback are out, along with their backups. Against air raid Washington State.

Innocent, until proven guilty. That's what it's supposed to be, anyway.
12-15-2016 02:08 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2016 02:08 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Update today: http://www.startribune.com/sex-assault-a...406564806/

Quote:Hutton said the EOAA recommended expulsion for Ray Buford, Carlton Djam, KiAnte Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson; one-year suspensions from the university for Seth Green, Kobe McCrary, Mark Williams and Antoine Winfield Jr., and probation for Antonio Shenault.

Quote:On Sept. 8, police investigators Eric Faulconer and Matthew Wente interviewed Djam. He acknowledged having sex with the woman, but was adamant that it was consensual. As proof, he played them three separate videos, totaling about 90 seconds, taken that morning.

During an 8-second clip, the woman “appears lucid, alert, somewhat playful and fully conscious; she does not appear to be objecting to anything at this time,” Wente wrote in his report. After viewing two additional videos, he wrote “the sexual contact appears entirely consensual.”

Police later interviewed four other players, who each said the sex was consensual.

On Sept. 30, Wente sent the investigation to the Hennepin County Attorney’s office for possible prosecution. In it, he wrote about the videos, “at no time does she indicate that she is in distress or that the contact is unwelcome or nonconsensual.”

On Oct. 3 the attorney’s office announced there would be no charges.

Afterward, the alleged victim filed a restraining order against six of the players, asking that they be made to stay away from the stadium. After a judge granted the orders, the woman dropped a petition against one of the players.

Hutton, the players’ attorney, appealed, setting up a hearing where the woman testified for several hours. The hearing eventually ended in a settlement — the restraining order would be dropped, but the players still had to stay 20 feet away from the woman and have no contact with her. The two sides also agreed that neither would be able to file a lawsuit.

“I’m glad this is over,” the student read in a statement after the hearing. “This has never been about punishing anyone, I just wanted to feel safe. Because of this resolution that we came to, now I do.”

But the EOAA doesn't have to follow the law, it can make up whatever recommendations it wants, simply because a complaint was filed.

I think there's very little chance the players get to play in the bowl game. Starting safety and cornerback are out, along with their backups. Against air raid Washington State.

Innocent, until proven guilty. That's what it's supposed to be, anyway.

Reading this makes me feel even stronger that Minnesota is doing the right thing. Kudos for them doing what any parent would want for their child - to be held accountable for unacceptable behavior.
12-15-2016 04:11 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

So if someone files a complaint against you, with no evidence, and the attorney's office dismisses the case for lack of evidence ....

you think it's correct that the school unilaterally says "well ... but a complaint was filed, so you're expelled" ?????????????

Absurd.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 04:22 PM by MplsBison.)
12-15-2016 04:22 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(12-14-2016 07:29 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  

We got a mini-mod, Kaplony!

Bring out that badge photo.
12-15-2016 04:48 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2016 04:22 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  So if someone files a complaint against you, with no evidence, and the attorney's office dismisses the case for lack of evidence ....

you think it's correct that the school unilaterally says "well ... but a complaint was filed, so you're expelled" ?????????????

Absurd.

What is absurd is your trying to characterize this as an example of just an unsubstantiated complaint with no evidence. Somebody posted quotes talking about video evidence, and the participants agreed to a settlement in the matter.

If you believe that the only standard a coach, entrusted with instilling values in our children, should use in determining extra-judicial punishment is whether an athlete was found guilty of a crime in a court of law, that's your right. As a parent, I think that is a dereliction of duty. Again I say, "Kudos, Minnesota. Thanks for doing your job the right way".
12-15-2016 04:58 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

The video evidence was used to exonerate the accused!!!

What other evidence are you talking about????

This is not some crap that got swept under the rug. They were suspended, criminal (actual) investigators did their job, and the conclusion was reached that there was not evidence warranting charges.

G-D .... why are you trying to squeeze blood from a turnip???

Are you trying to teach vigilante justice to your children?? "Well son, even though they didn't find evidence that Johnny stole your crayons, we both know in our hearts that it was really him ... so let's go kick his a__!"
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 05:13 PM by MplsBison.)
12-15-2016 05:12 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-14-2016 07:29 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  

Really? Must not be up to date on current events then.

And the existence of the EOAA at all is so very progressive.
12-15-2016 07:50 PM
gopher952 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MN,bsu,umd
Sounds like the team is goona boycott the holiday bowl.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 07:55 PM by gopher952.)
12-15-2016 07:54 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

http://m.startribune.com/gophers-footbal...ection=%2F

YES. Awesome!

When someone tries to screw you up the tailpipe, don't lay there. Kick them!

Good job boys! Hit em in the pocket book. That's when people actually move mountains.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 08:32 PM by MplsBison.)
12-15-2016 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
(12-15-2016 08:32 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  http://m.startribune.com/gophers-footbal...ection=%2F

YES. Awesome!

When someone tries to screw you up the tailpipe, don't lay there. Kick them!

Good job boys! Hit em in the pocket book. That's when people actually move mountains.

Yep. Dead spot on. The usual suspects around here who believe in vigilante justice and punishment of innocent folk will, of course, be 100% behind the admins here (some of them already have shown up in this thread).

But I am 100% behind the players on this one.

Put the pressure on the University admins who seem to think their judicial system is the only one matters. The Hennepin County (MN) prosecutor did decline to move forward here.

Many people don't realize it, but there's a WHOLE LOT of "kangaroo court" involved in the "parallel justice system" that is set up at many Universities. In an encouraging trend, many colleges have lost in court recently when students have challenged them in our ACTUAL judicial system.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016...al-assault
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 08:46 PM by Nittany_Bearcat.)
12-15-2016 08:40 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2016 05:12 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  The video evidence was used to exonerate the accused!!!

What other evidence are you talking about????

This is not some crap that got swept under the rug. They were suspended, criminal (actual) investigators did their job, and the conclusion was reached that there was not evidence warranting charges.

G-D .... why are you trying to squeeze blood from a turnip???

Are you trying to teach vigilante justice to your children?? "Well son, even though they didn't find evidence that Johnny stole your crayons, we both know in our hearts that it was really him ... so let's go kick his a__!"

Once again, you know good and well that this isn't "vigilante justice". This is about teaching our children - nearly adults - how to behave, and to hold them accountable when they don't. This isn't about criminal charges, or innocent until proven guilty. This is about building character. And four guys having sex, consensual or otherwise, with one woman on camera is not behavior to be proud of.

If playing intercollegiate sports does not involve building character, then all such sports should be done away with immediately. They are of no value. I sure hope you are never in a position to teach or influence children if you think the behavior of these athletes is acceptable.

Maybe your standard of acceptable is whatever doesn't meet the threshold for criminal prosecution. I'd like to think most of us have higher standards than that.
12-15-2016 09:51 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(12-15-2016 09:51 PM)ken d Wrote:  four guys having sex, consensual or otherwise, with one woman on camera is not behavior to be proud of

The investigation and the evidence says it was consensual.

That's the end of it.

Anything further you have to say on the matter is simply your opinion on how the world should be. You don't get to arbitrarily punish players because they don't act like good little church boys, or whatever it is that you idealize.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2016 10:08 PM by MplsBison.)
12-15-2016 10:02 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

RE: University of Minnesota football team boycotting Holiday Bowl over suspended players
Updated thread title to reflect the latest development!
12-15-2016 10:10 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.