Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

South Carolina Educators Oppose Rating Schools With ‘A Through F’ Grades…
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
South Carolina Educators Oppose Rating Schools With ‘A Through F’ Grades…
[Image: Participation_Ribbon_400x267.jpg]

Participation ribbons for all.

Quote:South Carolina educators oppose the possibility of rating schools A through F on public report cards, saying the letter grades would label students and discourage economic development in communities that need it the most.

District superintendents and state Department of Education officials were among those expressing opposition at a subcommittee meeting on Monday.

The letter ratings are under consideration as the state’s Education Oversight Committee attempts to craft a new, single education accountability system that’s simple to understand and more informative. It will replace the dual — and often contradictory — state and federal rating systems that have confused parents for years.

In its drafted proposal, the agency responsible for student testing notes 17 states have an A through F grading system. Its board is expected to vote next month.

http://wach.com/news/education/educators...h-f-grades
12-13-2016 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: South Carolina Educators Oppose Rating Schools With ‘A Through F’ Grades…
participation counts. Just imagine if your place of business told you that you showed up for work every day this week but the company didn't make money so they are going to withhold your check? You wouldn't be pissed?
12-13-2016 12:48 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(12-13-2016 12:48 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  participation counts. Just imagine if your place of business told you that you showed up for work every day this week but the company didn't make money so they are going to withhold your check? You wouldn't be pissed?

Good grief.
12-13-2016 12:49 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Well I'm just thankful and proud that SCD Jr. ( 5th grade) has 100% average in each of his classes.

Call it what ever you want,.. but I'd think that the boy is "participating" at a very high level!

That's before the school district changed its grading scale to a 10 point scale this year.

These kids today wouldn't survive under the the grading scale I had in school in Jr. High & High school.

95-100: A
94-88 : B
81-87 : C
74-80 : D
12-13-2016 01:19 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(12-13-2016 01:19 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Well I'm just thankful and proud that SCD Jr. ( 5th grade) has 100% average in each of his classes.

Call it what ever you want,.. but I'd think that the boy is "participating" at a very high level!

That's before the school district changed its grading scale to a 10 point scale this year.

These kids today wouldn't survive under the the grading scale I had in school in Jr. High & High school.

Same as my high school but add a point...96-100 was an A.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 01:31 PM by shere khan.)
12-13-2016 01:23 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(12-13-2016 01:19 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Well I'm just thankful and proud that SCD Jr. ( 5th grade) has 100% average in each of his classes.

I'm calling B.S. on this one. I have worked in a school and I can tell you from first hand experience that kids today are learning 5 to 10 times what most of us were required to learn 20 or 30 years ago.

Here in Texas, Algebra I is being taught at the middle school level. When I was in high school, students could graduate with Alegbra I as their highest math course.

That is just one example.
12-13-2016 01:23 PM
Advertisement

Banned

Fit:

You can root, hog or wallow,.. that's the grading scale in the county that I grew up in in the Commonwealth of Virginia. I attended alll public schools as well. My high school was ranked in the top 75 schools in the nation during that time period too.

Same high school as Tiki and Rhonde Barber, several Miitary Academy , USAFA and USMA Appointed and dare say Harvard attendees.

Sorry that Texas is so far behind academically and athletically. But the James Madison vs Sam Houston State Game outed the both of those.
12-13-2016 02:17 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
People not from SC don't understand how powerful the education bureaucrats are in the Upstate. Spartanburg County has 7 school districts. SEVEN. That's seven sets of superintendents. Seven sets of district offices. Seven sets of motorpools. Etc etc etc. The Spartanburg County delegation to the assembly, almost all Republican (everybody but Glenn Reese in downtown Spartanburg?), single handedly killed a school choice bill that the CATO Institute called the gold standard for school choice nationwide. And without those GOP turncoats we would have passed it. Mike Forrester, also in the Spartanburg County delegation, works for Spartanburg Community College. And I believe he's even gotten away with ethics violations for sponsoring bills which direct taxpayer dollars to his employer.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 02:21 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
12-13-2016 02:20 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(12-13-2016 12:48 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  participation counts. Just imagine if your place of business told you that you showed up for work every day this week but the company didn't make money so they are going to withhold your check? You wouldn't be pissed?

holy ******* ****... dont ever go full ******* potato. 07-coffee3
12-13-2016 02:21 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-13-2016 02:20 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  People not from SC don't understand how powerful the education bureaucrats are in the Upstate. Spartanburg County has 7 school districts. SEVEN. That's seven sets of superintendents. Seven sets of district offices. Seven sets of motorpools. Etc etc etc. The Spartanburg County delegation to the assembly, almost all Republican (everybody but Glenn Reese in downtown Spartanburg?), single handedly killed a school choice bill that the CATO Institute called the gold standard for school choice nationwide. And without those GOP turncoats we would have passed it. Mike Forrester, also in the Spartanburg County delegation, works for Spartanburg Community College. And I believe he's even gotten away with ethics violations for sponsoring bills which direct taxpayer dollars to his employer.

It's not just the Upstate, it's everywhere and it's a legacy to the pre-home rule days when the Legislature ran every level of government. The multiple districts allowed legislators to have more direct control of the school districts. I imagine that if you could find the old maps that school district boundaries and state Senate district boundaries back in the day would match perfectly.
12-13-2016 03:40 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte

What?
12-13-2016 03:43 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

(12-13-2016 03:43 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

What?

I was referring to the picture of a ribbon that said "you tried". There is a very good reason for that. Just because you didn't win doesn't mean you didn't do anything of value. I was trying to explain that with an example.
12-13-2016 03:51 PM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
(12-13-2016 03:51 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(12-13-2016 03:43 PM)VA49er Wrote:  

What?

I was referring to the picture of a ribbon that said "you tried". There is a very good reason for that. Just because you didn't win doesn't mean you didn't do anything of value. I was trying to explain that with an example.

and you failed...

[Image: horse-riding-fail.gif]
12-13-2016 04:22 PM
Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
I feel like some of you didn't read the article.

This isn't about not grading kids with an A - F system. It's about grading schools / school districts themselves.
12-13-2016 04:42 PM
Banned

Teachers DO NOT want to be graded A-F. Most merely want a "P" Ribbon!
12-13-2016 04:46 PM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Yes, this is the equivalent of a heart doctor who has a patient with weight troubles. The Dr. Prescribes what should happen. Follow these guidelines to lose weight. If you do what I tell you you will be fine and you won't have a heart attack. The patient doesn't follow the guidelines and has a heart attack and you want to punish the Dr? Let's give the Dr or the hospital an F because the patient didn't follow through?
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 06:30 PM by Hambone10.)
12-13-2016 06:16 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

They wouldn't do that. They'd pay you and then fire you. You'd be pissed, but also unemployed.

If you want to propose that schools can fire failing students, you might have an equivalency.

(12-13-2016 06:16 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Yes, this is the equivalent of a heart doctor who has a patient with weight troubles. The Dr. Prescribes what should happen. Follow these guidelines to lose weight. If you do what I tell you you will be fine and you won't have a heart attack. The patient doesn't follow the guidelines and has a heart attack and you want to punish the Dr? Let's give the Dr or the hospital an F because the patient didn't follow through?
You DO realize that this is precisely what happens under the ACA, right?

Patient goes to hospital for COPD exacerbation because they're a smoker. They're told to stop... they don't... 29 days later they readmit for the same issue. Hospital/doctor gets nicked for the readmission.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2016 06:29 PM by Hambone10.)
12-13-2016 06:27 PM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Nicked? Is that an F? Too me a nicked would be a B or C. Now tell me do you think that's fair that the hospital gets nicked? Why would you think it's ok for a teacher or school to get an F?
12-13-2016 06:58 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
It's not. Of course they gave a BS reason instead of just telling the truth, which is some kids are just stupid, their parents are meth heads, and we shouldn't be held responsible if our district has a disproportionate number of those.
12-13-2016 08:38 PM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

I Root For: UAB
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-13-2016 06:58 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Nicked? Is that an F? Too me a nicked would be a B or C. Now tell me do you think that's fair that the hospital gets nicked? Why would you think it's ok for a teacher or school to get an F?

Nicked means that their Medicare rates get cut 2% for a year. It really adds up.
12-13-2016 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.