Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Republicans In Congress Prepare Obscure Tactic To Gut Obama Regulations
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
Republicans In Congress Prepare Obscure Tactic To Gut Obama Regulations
[Image: Screen_Shot_2016_12_11_at_9_10_10_PM.png]

Can't wait...

Quote:WASHINGTON — Twenty years ago, Newt Gingrich and allies pushing the self-styled Contract with America created an obscure but potent legislative weapon to help Republicans combat what they deemed to be out-of-control regulatory overreach in Washington.

But like some kind of mystical, regulation-slaying sword, this tool comes to life only when the political stars align in just the right way, with single-party control on Capitol Hill and the White House, at just the right time.

Donald Trump, when he rolls down Pennsylvania Avenue at his inauguration, will usher in that time.

Republicans are readying an onslaught under what’s known asthe Congressional Review Act to cast aside a raft ofObama administration edicts, including rules designed to make it harder for US corporations to avoid taxes; environmental rules aimed at curbing earth-warming emissions; and sweeping changes to overtime regulations that were set to guarantee extra pay for an estimated 4 million Americans.

Congress put Gingrich’s creation to work just once before, in 2001, to dispatch a workplace safety rule governing ergonomics, issued in the waning months of the Clinton administration.

This time Republicans are thinking much, much bigger.

“We plan to robustly use the Congressional Review Act to reverse the midnight regulations of Barack Obama,” said Wyoming Republican John Barrasso, who is a leader of the Senate effort. “His legacy lost. The American people said ‘No, we don’t want that. We want to change direction.’ ”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2...story.html
12-11-2016 11:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
RE: Republicans In Congress Prepare Obscure Tactic To Gut Obama Regulations
Elections have consequences.
12-12-2016 06:31 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
What a bizzaro world that you would have people cheerleading that. People shouldn't get overtime. Global warming isn't a problem and corporations should be able to cheat on their taxes.

"You're" a brainiac usm.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 06:37 AM by Machiavelli.)
12-12-2016 06:36 AM
BuffaloTN Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Mach probably time for a timeout for you. You seem deranged.
12-12-2016 07:16 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(12-12-2016 06:36 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  What a bizzaro world that you would have people cheerleading that. People shouldn't get overtime. Global warming isn't a problem and corporations should be able to cheat on their taxes.

"You're" a brainiac usm.

It's not like they're passing a bill on a night that few are there to oppose and they have to pass the bill to know what's in it.
12-12-2016 07:20 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Why would anyone be against someone getting overtime?
12-12-2016 07:22 AM
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Boston Globe? Fake news

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using CSNbbs mobile app
12-12-2016 07:23 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-12-2016 07:22 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Why would anyone be against someone getting overtime?

They aren't against overtime per se. It's more to do with how workers are defined as salaried or hourly. My wife had her work definition altered by this and she was p!ssed. In typical "one size fits all" government fashion - she now has to clock-in and out where she didn't before. It's a pain in the a$$ for her. You know why this brilliant thing happened....... she is deemed as not making enough money to be termed as salaried. The kicker - she only works 20 hours per week by her choice. She is a part time worker on purpose, and because that part time salary doesn't exceed the yearly threshold - she's forced into hourly rules.
12-12-2016 07:42 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-12-2016 06:36 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  What a bizzaro world that you would have people cheerleading that. People shouldn't get overtime. Global warming isn't a problem and corporations should be able to cheat on their taxes.

"You're" a brainiac usm.

Laws should be changed by the people's representatives, not by dictatorial fiat. I thought liberals were supposed to be for the people.

As for the change in the overtime rules, the courts have already struck that down as violating the law. Typical Obama overreach.
12-12-2016 08:03 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-12-2016 07:22 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Why would anyone be against someone getting overtime?

The people passing that rule don't give a crap about people making overtime. They get their jollies from hassling people, and this is just one more hassle they can impose. Until a court struck it down.
12-12-2016 08:05 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

"You're" a brainiac usm.

I spent a good bit of time this past weekend going over your old posts leading up to the election. I had you on ignore those months, so I had not read your posts. I must say after reading them you are the most arrogant, condescending, loud mouthed, personal attacking person on this board. You repeatedly made posts attacking a persons intelligence while praising your own brilliance.

I have news for you, you are far from being as intelligent as you think you are. Your posts on the election proved that. After reading your posts it is easy to see why Trump won. You share the trait of many of your liberal cohorts. You truly believe you are intellectually and morally superior. Well, all you are is a small man and I am not referring to your height. I know you suffered a severe personal tragedy and for that I am very sorry for you and empathetic to your loss. I could not imagine losing a child. That said, you need to go back and look at your attitude to others that don't agree with you on this board. It is truly sad.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 08:20 AM by usmbacker.)
12-12-2016 08:18 AM
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
(12-12-2016 08:18 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  

"You're" a brainiac usm.

I spent a good bit of time this past weekend going over your old posts leading up to the election. I had you on ignore those months, so I had not read your posts. I must say after reading them you are the most arrogant, condescending, loud mouthed, personal attacking person on this board. You repeatedly made posts attacking a persons intelligence while praising your own brilliance.

I have news for you, you are far from intelligent. Your posts on the election proved that. After reading your posts it is easy to see why Trump won. You share the trait of many of your liberal cohorts. You truly believe you are intellectually and morally superior. Well, all you are is a small man and I am not referring to your height. I know you suffered a severe personal tragedy and for that I am very sorry for you and empathetic to your loss. I could not imagine losing a child. That said, you need to go back and look at your attitude to others that don't agree with you on this board. It is truly sad.

Naw, that's John. Mach has just had a tough time with this election, but he is usually a pretty level headed poster for a leftie. I'm sure he will be back to normal after a couple months when he realizes the sky isn't falling.
12-12-2016 08:21 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-12-2016 08:21 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  

"You're" a brainiac usm.

I have news for you, you are far from intelligent. Your posts on the election proved that. After reading your posts it is easy to see why Trump won. You share the trait of many of your liberal cohorts. You truly believe you are intellectually and morally superior. Well, all you are is a small man and I am not referring to your height. I know you suffered a severe personal tragedy and for that I am very sorry for you and empathetic to your loss. I could not imagine losing a child. That said, you need to go back and look at your attitude to others that don't agree with you on this board. It is truly sad.

Naw, that's John. Mach has just had a tough time with this election, but he is usually a pretty level headed poster for a leftie. I'm sure he will be back to normal after a couple months when he realizes the sky isn't falling.

Yeah, Mach wasn't nearly as bad as some of them, many of whom have disappeared. Mach just made the mistake of believing CNN and the NY Times were telling him the truth. He didn't realize he was watching and reading fake news.
12-12-2016 08:29 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina

Business hires a salaried employee that knew they weren't eligible for overtime.

Employee agrees to terms of employment which excluded overtime, but likely provided substantial compensation and benefits in excess of what an hourly worker would receive.

Govt says business has to pay overtime to employee that signed on knowing he wouldn't receive overtime.

Business gets screwed and has to pay overtime in addition to other compensation and benefits.

Business loses money and lays off workers, likely hourly workers.

It's really not hard to understand Mach. Bureaucrats changing the rules on businesses is one of the biggest reasons for the economic stagnation and suppressed worker participation under Obama. Obama has used regulations to artificially raise wages and benefits which in turn has caused business to restrict hiring and investment. Why not let employers decide how much to pay their employees based on merit and market conditions? That way wages would rise without interference, workforce participation would rise as regulations decreased and business began growing again.
12-12-2016 08:33 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-12-2016 08:29 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-12-2016 08:21 AM)200yrs2late Wrote:  

"You're" a brainiac usm.

Yeah, Mach wasn't nearly as bad as some of them, many of whom have disappeared. Mach just made the mistake of believing CNN and the NY Times were telling him the truth. He didn't realize he was watching and reading fake news.

On a personal basis, the way he went after others intelligence, was as bad as anyone. Considering Trump won 306 to 232 just makes his personal attack on others while sticking his chest out on his look at the election just made those attacks even worse.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 08:35 AM by usmbacker.)
12-12-2016 08:33 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(12-12-2016 08:33 AM)usmbacker Wrote:  On a personal basis, the way he went after others intelligence, was as bad as anyone. Considering Trump won 306 to 232 just makes his personal attack on others while sticking his chest out on his look at the election just made those attacks even worse.

Mach is usually one of the more level-headed of the liberals on the board, who is willing to get into debate points over arguments, without turning thing personal, but even I had to call him out at one point, that he was acting like he was heading for the 'penalty box' intentionally.
12-12-2016 09:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane

"You're" a brainiac usm.
Those items were framed with terminology for the dimwitted. Catchphrase and codewords. Mind tricks only work the weak minded.
12-12-2016 09:31 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
[Image: giphy.gif]
12-12-2016 09:35 AM
TechRocks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tech
TechRocks: The EPA rule that drinking water may have only 0.00000001% arsenic content is too costly for businesses to meet and should be changed to 0.0000001%.

Mach: You're in favor of poisoning and killing our children. Why do you hate them?
12-12-2016 10:02 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

Yes, that would be a bizarre world. Particularly bizarre because nobody has said any of that.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 11:22 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
12-12-2016 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.