Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Listen to an AD with some balls
Bookmark and Share
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Listen to an AD with some balls
It's too bad our leaders in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's didn't stand up for the university like this.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/new...AAAIJIAQA=
12-11-2016 01:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SandyTiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Listen to an AD with some balls
(12-11-2016 01:07 PM)3601 Wrote:  It's too bad our leaders in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's didn't stand up for the university like this.

I agree. Being held hostage by the City of Memphis, Liberty Bowl, and old money "basketball only" boosters was allowed because of weak, fence straddling, politically correct admins (Carpenter, Cavagnaro, Rawlings, Raines and Johnson) who were the main reason why we aren't in the P5 right now.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2016 01:42 PM by SandyTiger.)
12-11-2016 01:41 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(12-11-2016 01:41 PM)SandyTiger Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 01:07 PM)3601 Wrote:  It's too bad our leaders in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000's didn't stand up for the university like this.

I agree. Being held hostage by the City of Memphis, Liberty Bowl, and old money "basketball only" boosters was allowed because of weak, fence straddling, politically correct admins (Carpenter, Cavagnaro, Rawlings, Raines and Johnson) who were the main reason why we aren't in the P5 right now.
+1000
12-11-2016 01:51 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Some of you guys love nuttin but FB. We gotta throw out your answers and get people to weigh in that love all Tiger sports.
12-11-2016 01:56 PM
MemTiger90 Offline
All American

My mayne
12-11-2016 02:16 PM
SandyTiger Offline
Banned

(12-11-2016 01:56 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  Some of you guys love nuttin but FB. We gotta throw out your answers and get people to weigh in that love all Tiger sports.

Tell me the part(s) of what I posted isn't true.
12-11-2016 02:32 PM
Advertisement

ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

It is fiscally IMPOSSIBLE for Tigers to operate their own OCS and get the benefits they get from LBS deal. City of Memphis covers ALL OF THE OUTLAYS of operating the stadium. Something most of the OCS crowd want to ignore. Be happy that the city does not raise fees charged to the U of M high enough to cover their operational losses.
12-11-2016 02:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

Actually this has been going since before Crump Stadium was built & it's been the same for every new venue built in Memphis. Build the venues for other purposes (Crump Stadium for "regional & cross-country FB games"), Memphis Memorial Stadium - so that UTK, OM & AR would play regional games there, expansion of Ellis Auditorium - to provide a venue to attract more convention business, Mid-South Coliseum to provide a large venue for concerts, UTK & OM BB, Pyramid to provide the city with a new, larger arena to attract pro BB & concerts & FedEX Forum to get NBA to make a decision for Memphis) - and what was the one consistent requirement to obtain financing for all of those facilities? A regular paying rental occupant - the University of Memphis & at least in the case of construction financing of the Pyramid, cash investment too. Our university has been the financing engine for all of these city facilities - and our university is a G5 player today in part due to this process.
12-11-2016 03:10 PM
Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
(12-11-2016 03:10 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  Actually this has been going since before Crump Stadium was built & it's been the same for every new venue built in Memphis. Build the venues for other purposes (Crump Stadium for "regional & cross-country FB games"), Memphis Memorial Stadium - so that UTK, OM & AR would play regional games there, expansion of Ellis Auditorium - to provide a venue to attract more convention business, Mid-South Coliseum to provide a large venue for concerts, UTK & OM BB, Pyramid to provide the city with a new, larger arena to attract pro BB & concerts & FedEX Forum to get NBA to make a decision for Memphis) - and what was the one consistent requirement to obtain financing for all of those facilities? A regular paying rental occupant - the University of Memphis & at least in the case of construction financing of the Pyramid, cash investment too. Our university has been the financing engine for all of these city facilities - and our university is a G5 player today in part due to this process.

Horse hockey-look who got left off list of AD's-no surprise there.

Pyramid and Forum would NOT have been built with Memphis Prez & powers OK. Probably same with LBS and Coliseum as Tigers were MAIN tenants of both.
12-11-2016 03:15 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-11-2016 03:15 PM)Penny Lane Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 03:10 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  Actually this has been going since before Crump Stadium was built & it's been the same for every new venue built in Memphis. Build the venues for other purposes (Crump Stadium for "regional & cross-country FB games"), Memphis Memorial Stadium - so that UTK, OM & AR would play regional games there, expansion of Ellis Auditorium - to provide a venue to attract more convention business, Mid-South Coliseum to provide a large venue for concerts, UTK & OM BB, Pyramid to provide the city with a new, larger arena to attract pro BB & concerts & FedEX Forum to get NBA to make a decision for Memphis) - and what was the one consistent requirement to obtain financing for all of those facilities? A regular paying rental occupant - the University of Memphis & at least in the case of construction financing of the Pyramid, cash investment too. Our university has been the financing engine for all of these city facilities - and our university is a G5 player today in part due to this process.

Pyramid and Forum would NOT have been built with Memphis Prez & powers OK. Probably same with LBS and Coliseum as Tigers were MAIN tenants of both.

Either you missed my point or I'm confused by your reply.........
12-11-2016 03:19 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(12-11-2016 02:48 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

It is fiscally IMPOSSIBLE for Tigers to operate their own OCS and get the benefits they get from LBS deal. City of Memphis covers ALL OF THE OUTLAYS of operating the stadium. Something most of the OCS crowd want to ignore. Be happy that the city does not raise fees charged to the U of M high enough to cover their operational losses.
Proof it is going to happen.
12-11-2016 03:52 PM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(12-11-2016 02:48 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

Not surpringly, you totally missed my point.
12-11-2016 04:26 PM
Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
(12-11-2016 03:19 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(12-11-2016 03:15 PM)Penny Lane Wrote:  

Either you missed my point or I'm confused by your reply.........

Well I knew Mayor Hackett and he stated several times that the City was grateful to have Tigers as tenants and would work with Tiger admin in any way he could. He was all for Tigers and was thankful for our contribution in reducing operating deficit.
12-11-2016 04:48 PM
bluecrew Offline
1st String

I Root For: A stable conference

Cavagnaro is the biggest joke I've ever had to deal with personally in my entire professional career. He made R.C. look brilliant, and I am in no way joking.
12-11-2016 04:55 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
They have done well.

They also hired Petrino a second time after his what should have been career ending mortar cycle accident graduate a student affair. And they kept Pitino on after he essentially soiled a restaurant by banging a tramp on a table.

And I get it...just win baby. But, quite a willful ignorance they have shown in pursuit of that...something fairly present these days.
12-11-2016 05:06 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(12-11-2016 05:06 PM)Mimi Wrote:  They have done well.

They also hired Petrino a second time after his what should have been career ending mortar cycle accident graduate a student affair. And they kept Pitino on after he essentially soiled a restaurant by banging a tramp on a table.

And I get it...just win baby. But, quite a willful ignorance they have shown in pursuit of that...something fairly present these days.

You can have Rip and Josh. I'll take Petrino and Pitino. Sue me.
12-11-2016 08:00 PM
Advertisement

SandyTiger Offline
Banned

Spoken like an egghead professor. "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."
12-11-2016 08:18 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(12-11-2016 08:18 PM)SandyTiger Wrote:  

Spoken like an egghead professor. "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

Please don't tell me that Mimi teaches at our alma mater.
12-11-2016 08:20 PM
NOLA Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers!
ouch
12-11-2016 08:27 PM
BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
What the heck would they do with that massive building if the cards didn't play there? I think this is just public posturing. But wow what a waste if it happened
12-11-2016 08:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.