Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Russell Westbrook could have been in the MAC!
Bookmark and Share
Okie Chippewa Offline
All American

I Root For: The MAC
Russell Westbrook could have been in the MAC!
I'm watching the OKC-Houston NBA game tonight. The announcers told a story about Westbrook being lightly regarded in high school and was recruited by only "a handful of MAC schools and San Diego State." It turns out UCLA coach Ben Howland was persuaded to watch him play and he "took a chance" on offering him a scholarship. The rest is history.03-banghead
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 09:24 PM by Okie Chippewa.)
12-09-2016 09:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EMU03' Offline
2nd String

I Root For: EMU
RE: Russell Westbrook could have been in the MAC!
(12-09-2016 09:23 PM)Okie Chippewa Wrote:  I'm watching the OKC-Houston NBA game tonight. The announcers told a story about Westbrook being lightly regarded in high school and was recruited by only "a handful of MAC schools and San Diego State." It turns out UCLA coach Ben Howland was persuaded to watch him play and he "took a chance" on offering him a scholarship. The rest is history.03-banghead

He took an official visit to Kent State.
12-09-2016 10:01 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
He's no Westbrook, but CJ McCollum had his heart set on playing for Akron and was disappointed when no offer came. The Zips only had 1 scholarship that year and offered Zeke instead. Makes me think what could have been had they managed to free a roster spot and got both CJ and Zeke.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/210...k-1.398905
12-09-2016 10:29 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
patrick beverly whose defense on westbrook just won houston that game was a toledo commit during the stan joplin years, but there was some questions about joplin's job security which dogged his recruiting and beverly had a great senior year and backed out and went to arkansas and eventually the NBA
12-10-2016 02:14 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
Interesting thread----Lots of "near misses" for the MAC. "Always the bridesmaid and never the bride", I guess.
12-11-2016 07:14 AM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Football related, but Santana Moss was initially a WMU verbal before the U swooped in.
12-11-2016 04:28 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Cozelle McQueen was down to UT or NC State and made the wrong choice but lucked into an NCAA title. ?
12-11-2016 06:51 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
On the flip side, Big Ben would've certainly gone to Ohio State if they recruited him for QB. They wanted him for TE, so he wound up at Miami.
12-11-2016 07:16 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(12-11-2016 07:16 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  On the flip side, Big Ben would've certainly gone to Ohio State if they recruited him for QB. They wanted him for TE, so he wound up at Miami.

I think the same is essentially true for Julian Edelman and Josh Cribbs. Kent was willing to have them play QB rather than some other position and so went ot Kent.
12-11-2016 08:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.