River Records
Bookmark and Share
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
River Records
so sad

over the years, i have bought hundred of albums from jerry

he once told me he had an acetate of an alternate recording of rocket 88 (considered the start of rock and roll)

another time, james cotton's wife was in the shop looking for sun 45's of his recordings, they are very expensive

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/3401...cord-store
12-09-2016 08:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
RE: River Records
He had a fantastic jazz and soul section. I don't know of another record store in the US that stayed open as long just selling records (bootlegs and comics notwithstanding).

I spoke with him many times. He was eccentric and interesting - one of those guys who helped make Memphis Memphis.

He will be missed.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 10:35 AM by tiger2000.)
12-09-2016 10:34 AM
Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: River Records
here is some more info on rocket 88

i think this record is on display at sun studios

"The 16-inch Rocket 88 acetate is being sold by Memphis-based consignor Jerry Gibson, 64, owner of River Records. He said it came from a large collection of Sun 45s, 78s and acetates he bought in the mid-'90s. The acetate from the March 5 Rocket 88 session also contains an unreleased alternative version (a 40-second snippet) plus two additional tunes: the single's B-side, Come Back Where You Belong, and I'm Lonesome Baby. The latter was paired with the final song from that session, Heartbroken and Worried, and released as Chess single 1459 under Turner's name."
It's a one-of-a-kind, to me, piece," says Gibson. "Especially with the alternative take." Gibson didn't know how many Rocket 88 acetates exist, though Sam Phillips remembers pressing no more than a half-dozen from the source recording (which this acetate could very well be).
"I know I made a couple for Dewey (Phillips) because they wouldn't last long with him the way he played his records," says Phillips. "I'm sure I made one or two for myself, and it could have been that I made one for Ike and Jackie."
Bidding began April 24 and lasts through Thursday. The current high bid is $4,235, but look for that figure to climb in the final hours. Gibson says he's hoping to get $20,000. "Who knows where it'll end up at?" he says. Where it physically should (and probably won't) end up - the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Memphis Rock 'n' Soul Museum - is another matter."
12-09-2016 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.