Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Expectations for Coach TBD...
Bookmark and Share
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
Expectations for Coach TBD...
i am moving away from "The List" thread because the more i read it the more i start to hate all the coaching prospects. So i wanted to start a new thread with one question: What are your expectations for the coach? Open ended question that can focus on any aspect for next season or longer term.

For me, i want the following next season:

1) Beat the teams we're supposed to beat: Losing to UConn is unacceptable, losing to Central Florida is unacceptable. in general under BK and Lyle, we beat the teams we were supposed to beat and in most cases we stomped them. We need to get back to that.

2) Be competitive: i don't expect to go undefeated and there will be growing pains as a new offense and defense are installed, but the team has to fight every game, win or lose, and its the coaching staff job to motivate them, not run out the clock.

3) Continue the win streak against the Fightin' Popped Collars: Just cuz...

4) Bowl Win: i am not going to press for a conference championship but i want more then a bowlcation. Get the W.

Overall, i want the coaching staff to recruit Cincy/OH/Tri-State hard. This is a great football region and a coach can do pretty well with team comprised of players from this area. Besides, i just like the idea of Cincy winning with locals. That said, if we need an OL and the OL from GA is better then the one from OH, sign the one from GA. i like the idea of a local team but i'm not beholden to it.

By his third year, contention for a conference championship.
in the next five years i want an Access bowl W.

12-08-2016 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: Expectations for Coach TBD...
Good thread
1. I think UCF is a tougher opponent than you do, but I'm with you that we need to take care of business and no bad losses. I'm going to go ahead and include your #3 Miami point here.
2. Agree that we need to be in every game and fight every game with energy.

Personally, I don't think you win at UC by good recruiting and I certainly don't care what region the kids come from.

By year 2 we should be contending in the east IMO
By year 3 we should have won the AAC
By year 5 we should have been in the access bowl at least once and multiple AAC wins

I'll add one more. I want Nippert to be restored as a massive home field advantage again. That means 0 or 1 losses at home becomes the norm again. Packed houses. Energy back. Yes I think that has a lot to do with the coach and how he sells the program and the brand of football and of course the results.

12-08-2016 10:17 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
1. A coaching staff that knows how to and makes adjustments based on what the other team is doing and what your team is or is not doing.

2. Some tweaks to the offense that allow for getting the short yards when necessary.

3. A more aggressive defense approach. Blitz when it is appropriate or even take a chance once in a while when it is not. UC's defense has been way too vanilla since Tuberville got here.

4. Recruit the local area and Ohio but not just for the sake of getting local or Ohio players - get the best available to come to UC.

5. Get rid of the QB and RB by committee approach. Settle on a good QB and 1 or 2 good RB's like most teams do.

12-08-2016 10:17 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

12-08-2016 10:21 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2016 10:17 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  1. A coaching staff that knows how to and makes adjustments based on what the other team is doing and what your team is or is not doing.

2. Some tweaks to the offense that allow for getting the short yards when necessary.

3. A more aggressive defense approach. Blitz when it is appropriate or even take a chance once in a while when it is not. UC's defense has been way too vanilla since Tuberville got here.

4. Recruit the local area and Ohio but not just for the sake of getting local or Ohio players - get the best available to come to UC.

5. Get rid of the QB and RB by committee approach. Settle on a good QB and 1 or 2 good RB's like most teams do.

x100 for all of these, especially your second point. it KILLLED OUR TEAM when we couldn't convert short yardage. i'm not so concerned about whether it's through the air or running the ball but 3rd and 1 or 2 is something our offense needs to convert way more efficiently.

12-08-2016 10:28 AM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
Given our resources and our current situation, I think those are all perfectly reasonable expectations. We have as much at our disposal as anyone in our conference, so there is no reason not to be the leader of the pack. And there is simply NO reason to not beat the Foreskins year in, year out.

12-08-2016 10:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
At the very minimum,

A) Recruit Cincinnati and Ohio / NKY / Indiana hard and pull the majority of recruits from this area
B) Be willing to adapt your system to the personnel we have and are able to get at first
C) Be a consistently positive ambassador for the university

With those things, I think everything else falls into place. It would essentially be Brian Kelly (up until he left).

12-08-2016 10:40 AM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Win and don't embarrass the school or city in the process. Everything else is gravy.

12-08-2016 10:41 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(12-08-2016 10:17 AM)uccheese Wrote:  Good thread
1. I think UCF is a tougher opponent than you do, but I'm with you that we need to take care of business and no bad losses. I'm going to go ahead and include your #3 Miami point here.

Personally, I don't think you win at UC by good recruiting and I certainly don't care what region the kids come from.

By year 5 we should have been in the access bowl at least once and multiple AAC wins

I'll add one more. I want Nippert to be restored as a massive home field advantage again. That means 0 or 1 losses at home becomes the norm again. Packed houses. Energy back. Yes I think that has a lot to do with the coach and how he sells the program and the brand of football and of course the results.

I think it's going to be very difficult getting Nippert's energy back. We've been knocked down a notch.

12-08-2016 10:52 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

8 wins in year 1, AAC championship appearance in year 2, AAC championship by year 3 (if not in year 2)

12-08-2016 11:16 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2016 10:52 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

I think it's going to be very difficult getting Nippert's energy back. We've been knocked down a notch.

i think fans want to come back they just need an excuse to do so. Part of this thread is really thinking out loud about what the next HC has to do to rebuild the program, and by extension the state of the program currently, from our perspective, without any comment on the hire itself. i did that because, quite frankly, it doesn't look like there is a potential candidate, at least not a public name, that would be unanimously regarded as a home run hire that would immediately energize the base (so to speak). i don't think it will be immediate, but i think it can return even as early as the end of the first season.

12-08-2016 11:19 AM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(12-08-2016 10:52 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  

I thought attendance held up pretty well considering how bad the team sucked. If we are back contending for conf championship and access bowl, Nippert will be sold out again.

12-08-2016 11:20 AM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
It's a rebuilding job for sure IMO. The roster is not very good, especially in some critical spots where it is downright dreadful.

I don't feel nearly as good about 8 wins next year as some others do.

Play hard, play with emotion, start to make some inroads in the state and SW Ohio again with quality 3* type guys and build from there.

12-08-2016 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OKIcat Online
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
How about getting a stop once in a while on defense on 3rd and 18?

I'm probably in the minority but an optimist by nature. I believe incremental improvement in some aspects of UC's defense and offense could yield a tremendous improvement in season one. I think there is enough talent there for a coach with some passion and discipline to have some exciting wins and get back to a bowl next season. This team was arguably a handful of plays away from bowl eligibility even with very questionable coaching. Just watching it play out at times this season I feared my head would explode. Fans will be back; Nippert will rock once again--sooner rather than later.

12-08-2016 11:32 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2016 11:20 AM)Marcus Wrote:  It's a rebuilding job for sure IMO. The roster is not very good, especially in some critical spots where it is downright dreadful.

Play hard, play with emotion, start to make some inroads in the state and SW Ohio again with quality 3* type guys and build from there.

I feel like the difference between UC and a good majority of the American wasn't talent, it was coaching. If I look at the schedule we should be 3-1 in the non-conference (wins over Austin Peay, Miami and Marshall).

Then in conference we have ECU, Navy, USF and Tulane on the road. We should be 2-2 against those teams (wins @ ECU and Tulane). I still won't count out USF given the coaching turnover but they are likely to get a coach as good or better than we will. Then home games against UCF, UConn, SMU and Temple. Again, we should get 3 wins here with competent coaching. UCF didn't wow me and Temple will have a new coach, QB and RB. UConn is a mess and SMU is improving but should be a win if we have our stuff together.

Even when we were getting beaten by the teams in our conference I wasn't seeing huge talent gaps. Houston has it, Navy with their coaching and system are above us. I was impressed with some of Memphis' skill position guys. But beyond that we just got outcoached/outschemed/outexecuted by most teams we played.

12-08-2016 11:33 AM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-08-2016 11:33 AM)Racinejake Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 11:20 AM)Marcus Wrote:  It's a rebuilding job for sure IMO. The roster is not very good, especially in some critical spots where it is downright dreadful.

I feel like the difference between UC and a good majority of the American wasn't talent, it was coaching. If I look at the schedule we should be 3-1 in the non-conference (wins over Austin Peay, Miami and Marshall).

Then in conference we have ECU, Navy, USF and Tulane on the road. We should be 2-2 against those teams (wins @ ECU and Tulane). I still won't count out USF given the coaching turnover but they are likely to get a coach as good or better than we will. Then home games against UCF, UConn, SMU and Temple. Again, we should get 3 wins here with competent coaching. UCF didn't wow me and Temple will have a new coach, QB and RB. UConn is a mess and SMU is improving but should be a win if we have our stuff together.

Even when we were getting beaten by the teams in our conference I wasn't seeing huge talent gaps. Houston has it, Navy with their coaching and system are above us. I was impressed with some of Memphis' skill position guys. But beyond that we just got outcoached/outschemed/outexecuted by most teams we played.

That's probably true. There is no doubt coaching was the biggest difference between UC and the rest of the AAC this year. And it's true it can make your talent look worse than it really is. My biggest concern from a talent standpoint is the OL. The recruiting there the last 3-4 years has been absolutely brutal.

12-08-2016 11:41 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-08-2016 11:41 AM)Marcus Wrote:  

That's probably true. There is no doubt coaching was the biggest difference between UC and the rest of the AAC this year. And it's true it can make your talent look worse than it really is. My biggest concern from a talent standpoint is the OL. The recruiting there the last 3-4 years has been absolutely brutal.

The OL is definitely a problem. We went a couple years without recruiting offensive tackle out of high school. We brought in some JUCOs, but they were guys who were either too fat and/or had terrible technique/no footwork because they only started playing football as a junior/senior in high school. Its one thing to bring in a player as a project in hopes it pans out, it is quite another to do it every year for 3-4 years.

12-08-2016 11:45 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2016 11:41 AM)Marcus Wrote:  

+1. I'm hopeful the change in the offensive scheme will help cover up some of our OL woes. We just can't line up and run it up the middle or drop back and pass. We just don't have the horses in the trenches unfortunately to run a pro style offense. Need to look at one or two JC guys in this class up front.

12-08-2016 11:45 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
What Jackie said. Just win. Biggly.

12-08-2016 11:54 AM
cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I want a coach who wants to dominate the conference.

I want a coaching staff that will coach up and develop the players on the roster.

I want a coaching staff that will tailor the offense and defense to the players on the roster.

I want to see in game adjustments.

I want special teams to be taken seriously.

12-08-2016 11:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.