Wilder To Temple?
12-08-2016 09:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

paintedblue2 Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
RE: Wilder To Temple?
I doubt this will happen. The Cosby Pimple people will probably want somebody with a more recognizable profile. If what our feathered barnyard friend has said is true, and I have no real reason to doubt him, they are prepared to spend big $$$ for a replacement. A more recognizable name, or at least a top assistant from a P5 program will probably be hired.
12-08-2016 09:23 AM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
I think this is already being discussed in the other thread.

But right now, I think it's pure speculation. It would be a big pay raise and a step up career-wise, there's no doubt. But we have to consider the fact that Wilder built this program from the ground up. It is truly his, and thus I'd think his attachment to ODU is greater than most coaches to their current school.

Currently, I don't anticipate him moving on. But if he gets a big offer, I wouldn't hate him for leaving, either.
12-08-2016 09:27 AM
BigBlue23 Offline
2nd String

Baring a massive offer, I don't see BW bolting for this job. Minus the last couple of years, Temple is not a desirable job in a conference that is still mid-major. I am not saying BW wouldn't head for the AAC, but his connection (as previously mentioned) to ODU, makes me think that he is not going to Temple. Not saying he won't go somewhere, just not there.
12-08-2016 09:35 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-08-2016 09:35 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  Baring a massive offer, I don't see BW bolting for this job. Minus the last couple of years, Temple is not a desirable job in a conference that is still mid-major. I am not saying BW wouldn't head for the AAC, but his connection (as previously mentioned) to ODU, makes me think that he is not going to Temple. Not saying he won't go somewhere, just not there.

That's naive. If the money is worth going, he'll go. If he goes, we might be up a creek without a paddle. We aren't going to find any qualified and established coaches willing to come here on that salary. We'll either have to bring someone out of the FCS or lower division and hope they can figure it out on the fly or bring in a Blaine Taylor or Bruce Pearl football equivalent and give him a 2nd chance to make up for a previous career screw up.
12-08-2016 09:54 AM
TedHead Offline
1st String

If Bobby left, isn't there anyone on the staff that could step in his shoes? I personally see our QB coach becoming a head coach somewhere one of these days.
12-08-2016 09:59 AM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2016 09:59 AM)TedHead Wrote:  If Bobby left, isn't there anyone on the staff that could step in his shoes? I personally see our QB coach becoming a head coach somewhere one of these days.

I would lean toward promoting Scott and Whitcomb and hiring a QB coach.

But, I don't know Scott very well and he kinda stay out of the limelight. Does he have the charisma that Bobby has? You have to be able to sell the program.
12-08-2016 10:02 AM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

Is FB different that BBall such that the fecesU fast/young approach would be effective?

I'd think the scale of the football team is bigger and more complex, but am guessing
12-08-2016 10:05 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-08-2016 10:02 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 09:59 AM)TedHead Wrote:  If Bobby left, isn't there anyone on the staff that could step in his shoes? I personally see our QB coach becoming a head coach somewhere one of these days.

I would lean toward promoting Scott and Whitcomb and hiring a QB coach.

But, I don't know Scott very well and he kinda stay out of the limelight. Does he have the charisma that Bobby has? You have to be able to sell the program.

My point exactly. We'd have to go with someone that has no experience or has scandal in his past. While it could work out, it is going to be a roll of the dice.
12-08-2016 10:05 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-08-2016 10:05 AM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  Is FB different that BBall such that the fecesU fast/young approach would be effective?

I'd think the scale of the football team is bigger and more complex, but am guessing

Not saying it couldn't work, but I think experience becomes more important when you are talking about discovering the talent, recruiting, developing, and managing the play, the academics, and the behavior 80+ players and a large team of coaches and assistants and an extremely complicated game than doing the same with 13 recruits and 3 assistants and a much simpler game. There are certainly some young stars out there that are the future of coaching, but it is a much more difficult job that will come with a lot more lumps than basketball.
12-08-2016 10:11 AM
BigBlue23 Offline
2nd String

(12-08-2016 09:54 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 09:35 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  Baring a massive offer, I don't see BW bolting for this job. Minus the last couple of years, Temple is not a desirable job in a conference that is still mid-major. I am not saying BW wouldn't head for the AAC, but his connection (as previously mentioned) to ODU, makes me think that he is not going to Temple. Not saying he won't go somewhere, just not there.

That's naive. If the money is worth going, he'll go. If he goes, we might be up a creek without a paddle. We aren't going to find any qualified and established coaches willing to come here on that salary. We'll either have to bring someone out of the FCS or lower division and hope they can figure it out on the fly or bring in a Blaine Taylor or Bruce Pearl football equivalent and give him a 2nd chance to make up for a previous career screw up.
Naive? You said the same thing I did. if the money is there, I could see it. Money is the main thing that would/could make it desirable.
12-08-2016 10:13 AM
Advertisement

AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Anything is possible, wave enough money in front of anyone they will do what you want.

I dont think the timing is right for him right now. Still unproven.

His coach tree over 33 years is Maine, BC for 2 years and ODU. If his hiring asst. coaches at ODU are indication to who he knows or can afford to hire are a clue, why hasn't he and ODU gone after them coaches? Granted he will have a higher budget for hiring asst. coaches at Temple but I dont know what type of staff he could mustard up.

Things I think are going against coach for a job worth 1.5 to 3 million a year.
1. Does he leave his Maine buddies behind and a program he built.
2. Wife has a business here.
3. Son is on the team.
4. Has only two victories vs. teams with winning records. *Could be an addition after bowl season with Southern Miss and UTSA at 6-6
5. No players drafted in to NFL.
6. 9 Years without an outright championship at any level.
7. No bowl wins. *Could change in a few weeks!

I feel ODU is safe for another year or so. If somehow we beat VT and UNC and win the CUSA next year, he'll be out of here unless he signs a 10 year contract and ODU names the new stadium after him.
12-08-2016 10:25 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

We're in big boy football now. ODU and Broderick made that choice and now we have to put our money where our mouth is. Otherwise it was the wrong decision. FIU just hired a big name coach and is paying nearly a million dollars a year. They have a nice stadium. They've proven their commitment to trying to win. Several CUSA schools are close to that million dollar salary too. It time for ODU to show it's in this to win it. The AAC, which we all consider a peer league in spite of slightly better success, is paying some coaches well over 1 million dollars. If we want to be competitive with CUSA and AAC teams, we have to pay competitive salaries, have competitive amenities, have a competitive stadium, facilities etc. I can't see Bobby leaving ODU for Temple. They're historically one of the worst teams in FBS. The last few seasons are the exception. It would be like a coach leaving NC State for Vanderbilt.

BUT, I can see Bobby leaving for a half million dollar raise, whether at Temple, or any where else.
12-08-2016 10:26 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

You seem to mix up reasons why in he wouldn't leave with reasons why he wouldn't be an option into one list.

I agree on the timing of him not wanting to leave right now. I think he really wants to put ODU on a level of say a WK before he leaves. Having said that, tripling his salary is a pretty heavy incentive and I would not blame him.

As far as his credentials, Temple would be lucky to have a coach like Wilder. He's won at every level. He walked into an FCS program starting from scratch and won. Then, moved to the elite conference in FCS and won from Day 1. Then moved up to FBS and won pretty much right away, just took a little longer than FCS.

I don't think any school cares what he record vs. .500 teams are or the number of bowl wins or championships on his resume. They can clearly see he knows how to build a program, knows how to talk to fans, shows integrity, and most important; wins. You recruit to the level that you are dealt with and he's exceeded expectations at ODU. With Temple, he would easily recruit a higher caliber of players and likely win.
12-08-2016 10:31 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Obviously the size of the pay increase is a huge factor to consider, but I have to believe most coaches in FBS have something like a strategic plan for their career. The next move has to pay more, of course, but it should also be a job where you have a good chance at winning and a chance to be win at a level that will get the attention of the really big boys of football. Does Temple represent an opportunity to really come in and shine as a HC? Does winning big and consistently at Temple position him for a look at a prime school HC job or just as a coordinator? In other words in a game of chess, where would he be positioned to move to after being HC at Temple for a while? How does he feel about playing in a NFL stadium with only 20-25,00 people in attendance?

I have to think Wilders history of success at ODU is now established, especially since gaining a bowl birth so fast. If I'm him, I'm thinking to myself "how good will ODU be next year, and if we're real successful, will that maybe translate into even better offers? Maybe one more year and then go.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 10:35 AM by Old Dominion.)
12-08-2016 10:33 AM
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(12-08-2016 10:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  We're in big boy football now. ODU and Broderick made that choice and now we have to put our money where our mouth is. Otherwise it was the wrong decision. FIU just hired a big name coach and is paying nearly a million dollars a year. They have a nice stadium. They've proven their commitment to trying to win. Several CUSA schools are close to that million dollar salary too. It time for ODU to show it's in this to win it. The AAC, which we all consider a peer league in spite of slightly better success, is paying some coaches well over 1 million dollars. If we want to be competitive with CUSA and AAC teams, we have to pay competitive salaries, have competitive amenities, have a competitive stadium, facilities etc. I can't see Bobby leaving ODU for Temple. They're historically one of the worst teams in FBS. The last few seasons are the exception. It would be like a coach leaving NC State for Vanderbilt.

BUT, I can see Bobby leaving for a half million dollar raise, whether at Temple, or any where else.

In fairness to Broderick and Selig, the big boy decision was made way before the Cox amendment reared it's ugly head.

Half a million? More like a million and a half raise.
12-08-2016 10:34 AM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2016 10:33 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  Obviously the size of the pay increase is a huge factor to consider, but I have to believe most coaches in FBS have something like a strategic plan for their career. The next move has to pay more, of course, but it should also be a job where you have a good chance at winning and a chance to be win at a level that will get the attention of the really big boys of football. Does Temple represent an opportunity to really come in and shine as a HC? Does winning big and consistently at Temple position him for a look at a prime school HC job or just as a coordinator? In other words in a game of chess, where would he be positioned to move to after being HC at Temple for a while? How does he feel about playing in a NFL stadium with only 20-25,00 people in attendance?

I have to think Wilders history of success at ODU is now established, especially since gaining a bowl birth so fast. If I'm him, I'm thinking to myself "how good will ODU be next year, and if we're real successful, will that maybe translate into even better offers? Maybe one more year and then go.

Well, Temple's last coach just got a job at Baylor so it can clearly be a stepping stone.

The other issue is Wilder's age. He's getting to the age where if he does want a higher profile job, he's going to have to make a move at some point.
12-08-2016 10:42 AM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

I think Whitcomb is their guy in this scenario. Bobby's protege.
12-08-2016 10:44 AM
SettleDownFolks Offline
Bench Warmer

[/quote]

It could be a good time for him to leave (for himself) as perception is that we are a strong team because we are 9-3. Most outsiders have no clue just how weak our schedule turned out to be.05-stirthepot although all we can do is play the schedule in front of us.

Most likely next year will start out like this past year after the UNC and Va Tech games and it will be a matter of how the team responds with a new QB after those most likely losses. Breaking in a new QB is very difficult and if we happen to stb, Wilders stock will take a definite hit. Ultimately he has to do what is best for himself.
12-08-2016 10:44 AM
ODU804 Offline
2nd String

(12-08-2016 10:34 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(12-08-2016 10:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  We're in big boy football now. ODU and Broderick made that choice and now we have to put our money where our mouth is. Otherwise it was the wrong decision. FIU just hired a big name coach and is paying nearly a million dollars a year. They have a nice stadium. They've proven their commitment to trying to win. Several CUSA schools are close to that million dollar salary too. It time for ODU to show it's in this to win it. The AAC, which we all consider a peer league in spite of slightly better success, is paying some coaches well over 1 million dollars. If we want to be competitive with CUSA and AAC teams, we have to pay competitive salaries, have competitive amenities, have a competitive stadium, facilities etc. I can't see Bobby leaving ODU for Temple. They're historically one of the worst teams in FBS. The last few seasons are the exception. It would be like a coach leaving NC State for Vanderbilt.

In fairness to Broderick and Selig, the big boy decision was made way before the Cox amendment reared it's ugly head.

Half a million? More like a million and a half raise.

How much BW would get at Temple is speculation at this point. I believe i read their coach who left for Baylor made got a raise up to 1.5 Mill for 2016 and was set to go up to around 2 mill. He didn't start there and got to those levels for making their program relevant. I don't know that a coach coming up from a less prestigious G5 conference jumps in at those levels.

All of that being said, even if it's only 1 mill its still a big increase.
12-08-2016 10:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.