Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is the Coaching carousel unhealthy?
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
Is the Coaching carousel unhealthy?
Or is it just the free market playing out?

03-nutkick
Taggert goes to Oregon with a 24-25 overall record with no bowl wins, no championships, no signature wins to speak of. Has strong Florida connections, but few West Coast connections.

Rhule goes to Baylor after 28-23 but 2 successful seasons one championship no bowl wins. Beat Penn State. Has no Texas connections.

The only one that really makes sense is Herman to Texas, only because Herman has huge ties to Texas.

does it not seem that the coaching hires are just who has a name at the moment? Knee jerk reactions? It does not make much sense. Are you telling me that that there is no one in California that would be a good choice for Oregon? I guess there is too much money at stake now to take chances on "unknown" coaches. The hire has to be a splash.
12-07-2016 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
RE: Is the Coaching carousel unhealthy?
(12-07-2016 09:09 AM)StatueKnight Wrote:  Or is it just the free market playing out?

03-nutkick
Taggert goes to Oregon with a 24-25 overall record with no bowl wins, no championships, no signature wins to speak of. Has strong Florida connections, [b]but few West Coast connections.
[/b]
Rhule goes to Baylor after 28-23 but 2 successful seasons one championship no bowl wins. Beat Penn State. Has no Texas connections.

The only one that really makes sense is Herman to Texas, only because Herman has huge ties to Texas.

does it not seem that the coaching hires are just who has a name at the moment? Knee jerk reactions? It does not make much sense. Are you telling me that that there is no one in California that would be a good choice for Oregon? I guess there is too much money at stake now to take chances on "unknown" coaches. The hire has to be a splash.

Those years at Stanford under Harbaugh don't count in your book I guess?

Position coach for Toby Gerhart... that guy who won a Doak Walker and was a Heisman Runner-up... at STANFORD

Yea, no one on the West coast has ever heard of Taggart...07-coffee3
12-07-2016 09:16 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
As far as the system as a whole... there isn't really an alternative.

Even if we did become a P6... we would still lose out on coaches. It was a Big East problem and they were a BCS conference. Until the TV money is there... we can't compete financially for coaches.
12-07-2016 09:23 AM
Advertisement

Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
Only alternative is to pay up a lot more money. That's hard to do in the G5
12-07-2016 09:24 AM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
(12-07-2016 09:16 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 09:09 AM)StatueKnight Wrote:  Or is it just the free market playing out?

03-nutkick
Taggert goes to Oregon with a 24-25 overall record with no bowl wins, no championships, no signature wins to speak of. Has strong Florida connections, [b]but few West Coast connections.
[/b]

Those years at Stanford under Harbaugh don't count in your book I guess?

Position coach for Toby Gerhart... that guy who won a Doak Walker and was a Heisman Runner-up... at STANFORD

Yea, no one on the West coast has ever heard of Taggart...07-coffee3

He was a running backs coach for 2 years. His recruiting territory at Stanford was Florida, Georgia and Kentucky. He played in Kentucky and has coached on the East Coast since 2011. Since then he has recruited almost exclusively Florida. His current commitment list is 17 Florida kids and 1 Georgia kid. In his tenure at USF he has recruited exactly zero players from the west coast. The closest he has ever gotten was a couple of kids from Arizona who I think were CC players. So tell me again how much connection he currently has on the west coast because he coached a position at Stanford 5 years ago? No. They guys has almost no connection with the west coast currently. He has a name and a mediocre resume'. If he had been hired at a team in the Southeast somewhere I would get it. the guy can recruit Florida, no doubt. But Oregon? I am not buying it.
12-07-2016 09:30 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

03-nutkick
Taggert goes to Oregon with a 24-25 overall record with no bowl wins, no championships, no signature wins to speak of. Has strong Florida connections, but few West Coast connections.

To be fair, with the exception of Penn St, where else was Rhule going to go. New England is a coaches grave yard. He may have no recruiting network in Texas, but it's a target rich environment. He's young, entergeric, and very likable. It may take a little time, but I think Rhule will do fine.

Taggaert in Oregon is a little more risky. There isn't a lot of talent in the Pacific NW. Oregon recruited nationally by running a different up tempo offense and wearing wild flashy uniforms. Now lots of teams are doing that---I think it may ultimately be a harder job to succeed in Oregon than it is at sandal ridden Baylor.
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2016 09:38 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-07-2016 09:37 AM
tigerjeb Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

CrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
Blame Fuente. He had no eastern ties but knocked his first season at VT out of the park
12-07-2016 09:46 AM
Advertisement

Bear Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
The G5 has no access to National Titles...
12-07-2016 10:01 AM
Comet Offline
All American

I Root For: SMU
(12-07-2016 09:46 AM)tigerjeb Wrote:  Blame Fuente. He had no eastern ties but knocked his first season at VT out of the park

More like blame Kevin Sumlin. Wrap up a 12-1 at Houston and go off to beat #1 Alabama and finish at A&M 11-2 in his first year with 7 points away from being undefeated in the freaking SEC West (with ****ing A&M!)
12-07-2016 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
I think we'll be okay. As we've lost coaches it seems like other great options appear. To be seen as a p5 springboard can also be played today our advantage. There's always going to be great young gun coaches in the g4 that are going to start aiming towards the AAC as the next step up the ladder. Welcome to tweener land. Now let's get tweener money (11-15mil) and a good bowl for our champ and keep striving
12-07-2016 10:49 AM
strongv Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
It's unhealthy, but those knee jerk hirings catch up to the program rather quickly.
12-07-2016 12:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.