Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CFP Committee just killed the importance of conference championship games
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF
It is better to lose a game early and not have to play a very hard championship than to lose in your championship game.

OSU going the playoffs even with one less loss but also one less game just devalues the conference championship. Why bother.
12-05-2016 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
RE: CFP Committee just killed the importance of conference championship games
The good news is that the fans and administrations of Penn State, Oklahoma, USC and Michigan got screwed, so they are going to push to change this bull$hit playoff system to expand to at least 8 or more teams.
12-05-2016 04:43 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Agreed
12-05-2016 04:46 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(12-05-2016 04:43 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  The good news is that the fans and administrations of Penn State, Oklahoma, USC and Michigan got screwed, so they are going to push to change this bull$hit playoff system to expand to at least 8 or more teams.
Agree
12-05-2016 05:18 PM
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
A conference title should only be used as a tie-breaker if two teams have the same number of losses. Here's the problem: Ohio St. was one of only four P5 schools with 0 or 1 losses. Penn St. was not. They lost twice eliminating themselves.
12-05-2016 11:37 PM
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
Meh. Penn State lost to an 8-4 Pitt and got blown out by Michigan.

Double meh. Oklahoma got pummeled by Ohio State in Norman.

Triple meh. Michigan lost to Ohio State just last week.

Quadruple meh. USC has 3 freaking losses and didn't even win their division so not sure what they're griping about.
12-05-2016 11:41 PM
Advertisement

st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights
I love it. This thing is gonna expand to 8.

It would be great if G5 got an autobid alongside 5 p5 champs and 2 at-large but even if they didn't it would open the door further.
12-06-2016 12:08 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(12-05-2016 04:43 PM)PirateMarv Wrote:  The good news is that the fans and administrations of Penn State, Oklahoma, USC and Michigan got screwed, so they are going to push to change this bull$hit playoff system to expand to at least 8 or more teams.

the other good news is OU and the B12 got left out....again.

Even more good news is, those clowns start a CCG next year based on a 10 team, 9 game round robin schedule. Can't wait to see them get screwed again lol.
12-06-2016 06:12 AM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

(12-05-2016 11:41 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  Meh. Penn State lost to an 8-4 Pitt and got blown out by Michigan.

Quadruple meh. USC has 3 freaking losses and didn't even win their division so not sure what they're griping about.

Missing the point of the post. Conference championship is now a liability rather than a positive. Better to lose an in conference game early then to face another good conference game. What is the point of the conference championship if by losing to a conference foe you can leapfrog them? Just bag the conference championships now as they are meaningless.
12-06-2016 08:58 AM
Weatherdemon Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
(12-06-2016 08:58 AM)StatueKnight Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 11:41 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  Meh. Penn State lost to an 8-4 Pitt and got blown out by Michigan.

Missing the point of the post. Conference championship is now a liability rather than a positive. Better to lose an in conference game early then to face another good conference game. What is the point of the conference championship if by losing to a conference foe you can leapfrog them? Just bag the conference championships now as they are meaningless.

Early losses are only dismissed if you are a P5.
Conference Championships only matter if you are not.
12-06-2016 09:19 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
The system is perfect, It keeps the fights and arguments going, which creates interest.
12-06-2016 09:25 AM
Advertisement

dirtydanchez Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Tulsa
The PAC 12 championship game and even the AAC championship game were important, if Washington ends the year 11-1 with a split PAC 12 Championship then the committee could have put a 11-2 Big 10 champion in over them.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 09:32 AM by dirtydanchez.)
12-06-2016 09:27 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Having an 8 team playoff just means the G5 will feel even more screwed over when there are no G5 teams in the playoff.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 09:27 AM by bearcatfan.)
12-06-2016 09:27 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

Ohio State lost to Penn State. Ohio State did not play for the Big 10 Championship. Penn State did play for the Big 10 Championship. Penn State did win the Big 10 Championship. That was enough for me right there.

I don't have a problem with Washington because they are the conference champion, but they played a pretty weak OOC which is the very same criticism that the committee had of Western Michigan. Washington played Rutgers, Idaho and Portland State (FCS) in the OOC. Meanwhile Oklahoma played ranked Houston and Ohio State, while Penn State played Temple and Pitt.
12-06-2016 09:56 AM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

(12-06-2016 06:12 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

Even more good news is, those clowns start a CCG next year based on a 10 team, 9 game round robin schedule. Can't wait to see them get screwed again lol.

Still bitter about UC getting played?
12-06-2016 10:05 AM
Bear Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USF
(12-06-2016 09:27 AM)bearcatfan Wrote:  Having an 8 team playoff just means the G5 will feel even more screwed over when there are no G5 teams in the playoff.

Not if the access spot opens one up for the G5 (ny6 is now a actual, spot like the other 5 spots for the P5 conf champs)
12-06-2016 10:08 AM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

LOL!!! Wrong.

In the 3 years of the Final 4 Playoff...11 of the 12 playoff spots were given to P5 Conf Champs.

Clemson NEEDED to win their Championship Game to get in.

Washington NEEDED to win their Championship Game to get in.

In most cases (not all), winning the conf championship puts you in position to get a Playoff Bid...but this year, 3 out of 4 went to conf champ winners.

#ithappens
12-06-2016 10:44 AM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(12-06-2016 06:12 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

That fiasco is going to be fun to watch. It is hard for any team to beat a decent or formidable opponent twice. It will not take long to set up just right that the B12 falls flat on their face and eliminates themselves.
12-06-2016 10:52 AM
Eldonabe Offline
No More Wire Hangars!

I Root For: All but Uconn
Why does one slot in an 8 team playoff HAVE to go to a G5 team?

This continues to be an F-ing bullshite argument. NOT everyone gets a trophy, NOT everyone is a winner. NOT every winner is a winner. Ask Oklahoma and Penn State for starters....

The Playoff should be the BEST 4 (or hopefully 8) teams vying for the the championship. Use whatever metric you want - that may include a conference champion or it may not... If a G5 is one of the best then they get in, if not they don't... regardless of whether they won their conference championship.

This may not be the right comparison but if you think about it in reality it is...

This happens in basketball every single year in the lesser conferences.... The tourney champ gets in automatically, but there are always upsets so a team that really doesn't deserve to get to the dance gets in and the real best team from the conference goes to the NIT..... Same/Same .... Where is the outrage there?

Football has it right as far as I am concerned. There could be 100 teams making the tournament and #101 is going to *****.... whatever. I want to see the 4 best teams play each other regardless of whether they won their conference tourney. Penn State is playing great football, and so is USC and so is Oklahoma, and so is Michigan, but 4 teams are playing just a bit better. if this was an 8 team playoff and one of those 4 teams were not in the final 8 to fill some f-ing quota - THAT would be the injustice.
12-06-2016 11:08 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-06-2016 10:44 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

LOL!!! Wrong.

In the 3 years of the Final 4 Playoff...11 of the 12 playoff spots were given to P5 Conf Champs.

Clemson NEEDED to win their Championship Game to get in.

Washington NEEDED to win their Championship Game to get in.

In most cases (not all), winning the conf championship puts you in position to get a Playoff Bid...but this year, 3 out of 4 went to conf champ winners.

#ithappens

What would have happened if Clemson and Washington didn't win? Take a look at where Michigan was sitting before the final poll. They were number 5. Michigan didn't play for their conference title either.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/ran...16/week/14
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 11:10 AM by PirateMarv.)
12-06-2016 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.