Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Hoops Whiparound
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
MAC Hoops Whiparound
Lets see how our MAC foes are faring so far. I'll start with (and focus on) the East but add in some occasional updates on the West.

So the East looks like this as of today:

Ohio (5-1)
Akron (6-2)
KSU (5-3)
Buffalo (4-4)
Miami (4-4)
Bowling Green (3-4)

The Bobcats lone loss was at Marshall and they have a nice win over Georgia Tech under their belts as well. OU has four players averaging double digits points with the most impressive being 6'9 post Antonio Campbell who is scoring 19 per night and grabbing 11 boards. Pouring over their roster and stats...this team has to be the favorite to win the East.

Akron hadn't really played anybody since the opening night loss to YSU, but they righted the ship and rattled off 6 in a row. The other night they went to #10 Creighton and gave the Jays heck before losing 82-70. The Zips are pretty darn good in the post. When Johnson and Cheatham are playing well they will be tough to beat. Gonzaga will be another measuring stick for the Zips next week.

Only a couple things jump out looking at the schedules of the other 3:

Buffalo has played some strong competition (Xavier, Nevada, Creighton and St. Bonaventure)

Miami seems eternally stuck somewhere between mediocrity and (____)?

I would rip Bowling Green for looking unimpressive expect their score against South Dakota looks awful familiar.

If Kent State can get better between now and January 1st I think the Flashes should be able to hang around in the MAC East. The formula will be no different this year...win at home and steal some on the road.
12-04-2016 09:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: MAC Hoops Whiparound
Ohio's win over Ga. Tech looks better than it is. GT is bad. They have beaten the same lousy teams in that tourney that OU beat: Tenn. Tech, Sam Houston, Southern. They will take some horrible beatings in the ACC this season. I mean it's a nice cosmetic win if people don't follow basketball. OhioU got a bit exposed by a Marshall team that hasn't beaten anyone either. Still, they may have the most talent in the conference, but right now the MAC is the #18 conference, even behind the Ohio Valley Conference.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 10:58 AM by axeme.)
12-04-2016 10:58 AM
KSU Agee Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-04-2016 10:58 AM)axeme Wrote:  Ohio's win over Ga. Tech looks better than it is. GT is bad. They have beaten the same lousy teams in that tourney that OU beat: Tenn. Tech, Sam Houston, Southern. They will take some horrible beatings in the ACC this season. I mean it's a nice cosmetic win if people don't follow basketball. OhioU got a bit exposed by a Marshall team that hasn't beaten anyone either. Still, they may have the most talent in the conference, but right now the MAC is the #18 conference, even behind the Ohio Valley Conference.

I sure hope Oregon State is our cosmetic win. Beat them while they are down is my philosophy. It would make their trip here in the future more exciting.
12-04-2016 01:08 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Yeah, a win over them would be like GT. Sounds better than it is, and I'd take it! Don't care if they are a bottom P5 team.
12-04-2016 01:24 PM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Georgia Tech is led by Josh Pastner. That is all you should need to know that they are a joke.
12-04-2016 02:11 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

If thiso, or any, KSU team beat Georgia Tech, I would have a t-shirt made commentating the victory.
12-04-2016 03:14 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-04-2016 03:14 PM)fallsdog Wrote:  If thiso, or any, KSU team beat Georgia Tech, I would have a t-shirt made commentating the victory.

ALWAYS AMAZED HOW KENT FANS TRASH THEIR BB TEAM ...

Check the record I think you will find ... even in the last 5-years, more power conference wins at Kent than any other MAC team, including post season ... no worse than second.
12-04-2016 03:46 PM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

Trash their team....come on pal. The above comment is tongue and cheek.
Just not going to downplay a big win for Ohio University while Kent is picking off Wofford and Grambling.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2016 04:26 PM by fallsdog.)
12-04-2016 04:25 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I won't single out Fallsdog for his comment, but I agree. Too many on here bash the basketball team unnecessarily. It's comical.
12-04-2016 05:05 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

So, in the west I think ball state is going to be tough to beat.
12-04-2016 05:28 PM
Advertisement

Muskrat Offline
1st String

dannyb73, it's the football program. It sours everything, give us all cynical attitudes.
12-04-2016 05:43 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(12-04-2016 05:43 PM)Muskrat Wrote:  dannyb73, it's the football program. It sours everything, give us all cynical attitudes.

Actually, that's fair.
12-04-2016 05:52 PM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-04-2016 10:58 AM)axeme Wrote:  Ohio's win over Ga. Tech looks better than it is. GT is bad. They have beaten the same lousy teams in that tourney that OU beat: Tenn. Tech, Sam Houston, Southern. They will take some horrible beatings in the ACC this season. I mean it's a nice cosmetic win if people don't follow basketball. OhioU got a bit exposed by a Marshall team that hasn't beaten anyone either. Still, they may have the most talent in the conference, but right now the MAC is the #18 conference, even behind the Ohio Valley Conference.

I was surprised that Kents RPI was as low as 270. Now to hear the conference is 18th out of 31 really is depressing. Conference RPI can't change much at all after January 1. It's been awhile since the conference has been that low. I hope this is just a low in the normal cycle but one has to begin to wonder.
12-04-2016 06:27 PM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-04-2016 06:27 PM)burden Wrote:  

I was surprised that Kents RPI was as low as 270. Now to hear the conference is 18th out of 31 really is depressing. Conference RPI can't change much at all after January 1. It's been awhile since the conference has been that low. I hope this is just a low in the normal cycle but one has to begin to wonder.

MAC has lost entirely too many Horizon-Summit league games so far ... very depressing.

W/O some major upsets the MAC is what it is .... YSU-IUPUI-IPFort Wayne-South Dakota ...just ridiculous loses. ... And by some of the better MAC teams ...
12-04-2016 08:12 PM
fallsdog Offline
All American

In the West:

Central Michigan is 8 - 3 without a win that sticks out. They have knocked off Pepperdine, William & Mary and Green Bay (twice). They do have a junior guard (Marcus Keene) who is averaging 30.8 points per game.

Eastern Michigan is 6 - 3. Their best performance seems to be a 93 - 90 double overtime loss at Pitt on opening night.

Ball State is the only other West team with a winning record as they sit at 6 - 3 and have played a whose who of Mid Major Midwestern basketball. Saint Louis, Bradley, Valpo, Indiana State, IUPUI and Eastern Kentucky. That should be a early season tournament.

I think there are going to be a lot of series this year where one team wins by 25 one night and three weeks later losses to the same team by 15.
12-12-2016 12:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.