Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PJ to Oregon
Bookmark and Share
Chief_Wolverine Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Illini,Michigan
PJ to Oregon
If you do a Google search, the first suggestion on the dropdown menu is 'PJ Fleck Oregon'. Right now it's nothing more than hearsay, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out 02-13-banana
12-02-2016 11:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: PJ to Oregon
(12-02-2016 11:49 PM)Chief_Wolverine Wrote:  If you do a Google search, the first suggestion on the dropdown menu is 'PJ Fleck Oregon'. Right now it's nothing more than hearsay, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out 02-13-banana

i'll throw a log on this fire
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/...eg-schiano
12-03-2016 12:04 AM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
I don't see Oregon/PJ match. Oregon can get a bigger name. I see PJ/Houston match but PJ might want a P5 job but he would certainly take the Houston job.
12-03-2016 08:37 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
As for a big name - Chip Kelly's only previous HC experience was at New Freakin' Hampshire. MAC is bigger than that.

Oregon is a pretty liberal place, not just the campus but entire state. Fleck and his "act" would be well-received there.

And one of his heroes is Steve Prefontaine, the late long distance runner from Oregon. I could see him being drawn to that - not to mention NIKE and its millions.
12-03-2016 10:15 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

PJ to Oregon
From FootballScoop today.

USA Today’s Dan Wolken is reporting Purdue is no longer confident they will get their much anticipated meeting with PJ Fleck following the MAC championship game and “are prepared to move onto their next target, WKU head coach Jeff Brohm.” Wolken adds that should Brohm leave, WKU has identified Troy head coach Neal Brown as a primary candidate. Wolken adds Purdue might not get their sit down with PJ Fleck because he is hoping to meet with Oregon and would be willing to remain at WMU if an opportunity he did not love did not present itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
12-03-2016 10:20 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

As I posted earlier on another thread - Fleck will either be at Oregon or back in Kalamazoo next year.
12-03-2016 10:36 AM
Advertisement

NIU17 Offline
All American

(12-03-2016 10:15 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  As for a big name - Chip Kelly's only previous HC experience was at New Freakin' Hampshire. MAC is bigger than that.

Oregon is a pretty liberal place, not just the campus but entire state. Fleck and his "act" would be well-received there.

And one of his heroes is Steve Prefontaine, the late long distance runner from Oregon. I could see him being drawn to that - not to mention NIKE and its millions.
Prefontaine is the reason he would go? 03-lmfao
12-03-2016 10:57 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2016 10:57 AM)NIU17 Wrote:  Prefontaine is the reason he would go?

Of course not.

But it wouldn't hurt.

When he got WMU job he talked about doing things at a "Prefontaine pace."

We're talking PJ Fleck here - and he is a unique individual for a FBS head coach.

When he first came to WMU (doesn't live in city of Kalamazoo) he often would get up very early and run like he was training for a marathon.

Now, according to ESPN Game Day piece on him before Toledo game - he goes in to WMU Football facilities early AM to workout before staff meetings.

So - if you watch him on sidelines during games - you can see him living "Prefontaine pace."
12-03-2016 03:39 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:i'll throw a log on this fire
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/...eg-schiano

Problem with that is -- Schiano's not going to leave Ohio State as defensive coordinator, to be defensive coordinator @ Oregon -- under PJ. He and PJ have ties, don't get me wrong. The only way I could see that happening is some new & different thing -- he's defensive coordinator + Co-Head Coach @ Oregon. Have your former, really young WR coach be your head coach -- while you are at the same position from a Top 4 Ohio State to a losing Oregon? No way -- not unless Schiano really wants out of Ohio State in concept. Oregon would love it, but Schiano wouldn't.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2016 04:02 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-03-2016 04:02 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Per Football Scoop:

Oregon: Former Oregon head coach & athletic director Mike Bellotti said on the Finebaum show this afternoon that his 4 coaches he would interview were Matt Rhule, Jim McElwain, Willie Taggart and Dan Mullen.
12-05-2016 05:07 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(12-05-2016 05:07 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Per Football Scoop:

Oregon: Former Oregon head coach & athletic director Mike Bellotti said on the Finebaum show this afternoon that his 4 coaches he would interview were Matt Rhule, Jim McElwain, Willie Taggart and Dan Mullen.

The rumor is Oregon isn't even going to interview PJ. Cincinnati would be a better landing sport for him anyway. Jumping from the MAC to a consistent top 10 team is nearly impossible, even for the great boat rower himself. That said, maybe they are both staying silent on it for a reason...who knows, but that would be quite the leap.
12-05-2016 05:11 PM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(12-05-2016 05:11 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 05:07 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  Per Football Scoop:

The rumor is Oregon isn't even going to interview PJ. Cincinnati would be a better landing sport for him anyway. Jumping from the MAC to a consistent top 10 team is nearly impossible, even for the great boat rower himself. That said, maybe they are both staying silent on it for a reason...who knows, but that would be quite the leap.

Matt Rhule and Willie Taggart are very strong candidates, IMO. Young guys that are building very good programs at Temple and USF.

I don't get the attraction for Mullen and McElwain though. Mullen has been on job eight years as the HC at Miss State and has had very little success. One year they were 2nd in the SEC-West, all the other years they were 4th or 5th. A composite SEC record of 29-35. The jury's still out on McElwain. A supposed offensive genius, but the Gators have been brutal on offense since his arrival. They struggle to score against just about anyone. Before he took the Florida job, McElwain was 14-10 in three years at Colorado State.
12-05-2016 06:02 PM
machoman83 Offline
2nd String

That is a very suspect list of candidates for a program like Oregon and with the money they have at their disposal. If they don't hire 1. Chip Kelly or 2. PJ, then the only guy I see on that interview list with a realistic shot at getting hired is Matt Rhule
12-05-2016 06:12 PM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
I hope he gets a great job and does awesome. Great seeing NIU alums do good things.
12-05-2016 06:32 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:Cincinnati would be a better landing sport for him anyway. Jumping from the MAC to a consistent top 10 team is nearly impossible, even for the great boat rower himself. That said, maybe they are both staying silent on it for a reason...who knows, but that would be quite the leap.

1 aspect of going to Cinci would be that it'd still be in the midwest, where he prefers to stay. Other than that, the "boat sinks" some. Here's why:

- Kelly & Jones went to Cinci from the MAC to take over a WINNING Cinci team. PJ will not. He'll have to rebuild (like with WMU).

- Cinci paid FAR more than what they were making @CMU. Cinci pays just over $2m, now. PJ is thought to get roughly that amount or even a bit more, in his new contract. No big pay increase.

- Kelly & Jones were motivated to make a bigger footprint -- a chance to make a BCS bowl, etc. Kelly couldn't even do that undefeated @Cinci. PJ has here @WMU.

So I think it's comparing apples & oranges from yesteryear -- where really, big $$ gap being the reason why they left, and it wouldn't be so apparent anymore now.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2016 08:47 PM by toddjnsn.)
12-05-2016 08:46 PM
VegasHuskie Offline
Special Teams

(12-05-2016 08:46 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  
Quote:Cincinnati would be a better landing sport for him anyway. Jumping from the MAC to a consistent top 10 team is nearly impossible, even for the great boat rower himself. That said, maybe they are both staying silent on it for a reason...who knows, but that would be quite the leap.

1 aspect of going to Cinci would be that it'd still be in the midwest, where he prefers to stay. Other than that, the "boat sinks" some. Here's why:

- Kelly & Jones went to Cinci from the MAC to take over a WINNING Cinci team. PJ will not. He'll have to rebuild (like with WMU).

- Cinci paid FAR more than what they were making @CMU. Cinci pays just over $2m, now. PJ is thought to get roughly that amount or even a bit more, in his new contract. No big pay increase.

- Kelly & Jones were motivated to make a bigger footprint -- a chance to make a BCS bowl, etc. Kelly couldn't even do that undefeated @Cinci. PJ has here @WMU.

So I think it's comparing apples & oranges from yesteryear -- where really, big $$ gap being the reason why they left, and it wouldn't be so apparent anymore now.

Fleck's not going to Cincinnati. He'll be back at WMU if he doesn't get an offer from a prestigious school.
12-06-2016 12:32 AM
Advertisement

BDB5yp Offline
All American

PJ to Cincy would be a lateral move at this point in competition level ,but a raise in income. Bearcats doesn't seem like a better job than the Broncos right now.
12-06-2016 01:01 AM
NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Cincinnati is a better job than WMU.Winning coach at Cincinnati has more opportunities available than same success at WMU. Agreed with assessment than the timing is not as good now as it was when Kelly & Jones took over. More jobs to open, maybe NU,IL, DUKE,CO. Coaches take other jobs and openings become available.
12-06-2016 06:09 AM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

Mike Gundy met with Baylor last night, could open up the Ok State job. Still seems like too big of a job for PJ, he needs to up his G5 tier first like say Cincy, or go to Northwestern or Rutgers or something.
12-06-2016 07:27 AM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
A PJ return to WMU would be absolutely horrible for us. We need to get him out of the conference for us to trend back upward. We've been losing too many recruiting battles to him. Ideally he would be gone before the bowl game.
12-06-2016 09:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.