Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mark Wahlberg Thinks Celebrities Need to Shut Up About Politics
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Mark Wahlberg Thinks Celebrities Need to Shut Up About Politics
http://taskandpurpose.com/mark-wahlberg-...-politics/

Quote:Mark Wahlberg has been a rapper. He appeared shirtless and grinning on a 40-foot billboard in Times Square. He launched his own burger chain. And he starred in some of the greatest movies ever made, including “Boogie Nights,” “Three Kings,” “The Departed,” and “Lone Survivor.”

Just do not expect him to opine on politics.

“A lot of celebrities did, do, and shouldn’t,” he told Task & Purpose last week, at a swanky luncheon in New York, held on behalf of his upcoming film “Patriots Day.” We were talking about the parade of actors and musicians who lined up to denounce Donald Trump in the months and weeks leading up to Election Day.

“You know, it just goes to show you that people aren’t listening to that anyway,” he continued. “They might buy your CD or watch your movie, but you don’t put food on their table. You don’t pay their bills. A lot of Hollywood is living in a bubble. They’re pretty out of touch with the common person, the everyday guy out there providing for their family. Me, I’m very aware of the real world. I come from the real world and I exist in the real world. And although I can navigate Hollywood and I love the business and the opportunities it’s afforded me, I also understand what it’s like not to have all that.”
12-02-2016 02:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Mark Wahlberg Thinks Celebrities Need to Shut Up About Politics
He's got a point.
12-02-2016 02:22 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Mark Walberg, thank you. Finally, a voice of reason from the Hollywood set. I've found new respect for him. Another one that I couldn't stomach too much is Brady but surprise, surprise, he voted for Trump. That took cajones.
12-02-2016 02:24 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Well said Mark
12-02-2016 02:28 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Making every interaction a political affirmation is signaling. Sometimes that signaling can alienate your audience. It can also cement your audience.

12-02-2016 02:29 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
This is nonsense! When a scientist the caliber of Leonardo DiCaprio says that global warming is a problem, we all need to listen.
12-02-2016 02:55 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(12-02-2016 02:55 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  This is nonsense! When a scientist the caliber of Leonardo DiCaprio says, from the deck of his 500 gallons of diesel per minute consuming yacht, that global warming is a problem, we all need to listen.

just a little bit for clarity....
12-02-2016 02:58 PM
Gakusei Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
Considering a celebrity was just elected, I have no issue with them speaking their minds on him.
12-02-2016 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Is it the celebrity's fault for having the opinion or is it the media's fault for making it more important than anyone else's?
12-02-2016 03:12 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
Although Wahlberg is long removed from "living like the common man" it is nice to hear some common sense coming out of Hollywood. Hopefully, he's a big enough star that he can't be blacklisted for going against the Hollywood grain.
12-02-2016 03:12 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
(12-02-2016 02:55 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  This is nonsense! When a scientist the caliber of Leonardo DiCaprio says that global warming is a problem, we all need to listen.

That's why they call it acting. (Team America)04-cheers

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 03:25 PM by chess.)
12-02-2016 03:14 PM
Advertisement

NewJersey GATA Offline
1st String

I Root For: GA Southern
Mark is one of the biggest talents in the business. Speak your mind kid
12-02-2016 03:23 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Who does anyone even care if celebrities talk about politics or not?

Some people will freakin complain about anything.
12-02-2016 03:39 PM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(12-02-2016 03:39 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Who does anyone even care if celebrities talk about politics or not?

No idea why, but loads of people let others think for them whether it be celebrities or the MSM. It's just nice to hear common sense for a change coming from a place so full of BS for a change, that's all.
12-02-2016 03:44 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(12-02-2016 03:23 PM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  Mark is one of the biggest talents in the business. Speak your mind kid

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Let's not get carried away. He's definitely A-list, but he's down there with Channing Tatum IMO.

I don't know if he's ever been in a movie where he was in the Top 5 acting talent in a particular cast.

He's the Sam Bradford of movies. Despite being limited he keeps getting top jobs for top money for no particular reason.
12-02-2016 03:44 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(12-02-2016 03:23 PM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  Mark is one of the biggest talents in the business. Speak your mind kid

I find it ironic that you would tell Marky Mark to speak his mind while he is suggesting everyone else in his business should shut up.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
12-02-2016 03:46 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(12-02-2016 02:13 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://taskandpurpose.com/mark-wahlberg-...-politics/

Quote:Mark Wahlberg has been a rapper. He appeared shirtless and grinning on a 40-foot billboard in Times Square. He launched his own burger chain. And he starred in some of the greatest movies ever made, including “Boogie Nights,” “Three Kings,” “The Departed,” and “Lone Survivor.”

“A lot of celebrities did, do, and shouldn’t,” he told Task & Purpose last week, at a swanky luncheon in New York, held on behalf of his upcoming film “Patriots Day.” We were talking about the parade of actors and musicians who lined up to denounce Donald Trump in the months and weeks leading up to Election Day.

“You know, it just goes to show you that people aren’t listening to that anyway,” he continued. “They might buy your CD or watch your movie, but you don’t put food on their table. You don’t pay their bills. A lot of Hollywood is living in a bubble. They’re pretty out of touch with the common person, the everyday guy out there providing for their family. Me, I’m very aware of the real world. I come from the real world and I exist in the real world. And although I can navigate Hollywood and I love the business and the opportunities it’s afforded me, I also understand what it’s like not to have all that.”

God bless him. I've had this debate with friends numerous times over the years. Musicians like Bruce Springsteen, I really like their stuff but there is no way in a million years I'd go to a concert and have to listen to his tripe about politics between songs. STFU and perform. That's why we pay to listen. I don't care what you think about a candidate.
12-02-2016 03:48 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(12-02-2016 03:48 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 02:13 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://taskandpurpose.com/mark-wahlberg-...-politics/

God bless him. I've had this debate with friends numerous times over the years. Musicians like Bruce Springsteen, I really like their stuff but there is no way in a million years I'd go to a concert and have to listen to his tripe about politics between songs. STFU and perform. That's why we pay to listen. I don't care what you think about a candidate.

On this we can agree. If I pay money to watch someone perform, the last thing I want to do it hear them preach to me.

On the other hand, when they aren't performing, they have every right to give their opinion just like we do.
12-02-2016 03:51 PM
Gakusei Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(12-02-2016 03:44 PM)VA49er Wrote:  No idea why, but loads of people let others think for them whether it be celebrities, the MSM, right wing media, or random internet blogs/Facebook posts.

FIFY.
12-02-2016 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(12-02-2016 03:39 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Who does anyone even care if celebrities talk about politics or not?

Who was it that said this just 72 days ago?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-791764-post-135...id13597444
Quote:It is significant that so many actors have come out in support of Hillary.

Never fear however, Trump has Chachi.

Oh wait....that would be you.

So explain how you can have the complete 180 degree turn in opinion in just 72 days. Did you have a sudden change of heart and if so why? Or is it standard Fitbud say one thing today and something totally different tomorrow?
12-02-2016 03:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.