Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Five Man front.
Unruly Duck Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Navy
The Five Man front.
I've noticed the drum banging for a five man front being the antidote to the Navy offense has gone remarkably silent. ECU and SMU both used a five man line exclusively and those were two of Navy's highest scoring games. I think if you can beat navy physically, then you can beat them physically, but a five man front is not the end-all, be-all against the option.
12-02-2016 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: The Five Man front.
(12-02-2016 09:07 AM)Unruly Duck Wrote:  I've noticed the drum banging for a five man front being the antidote to the Navy offense has gone remarkably silent. ECU and SMU both used a five man line exclusively and those were two of Navy's highest scoring games. I think if you can beat navy physically, then you can beat them physically, but a five man front is not the end-all, be-all against the option.

It's still a key to beating Navy. But, formation without execution doesn't guarantee anything. It would be like saying that you're going to stop Tulsa's offense simply because you line up in a Nickle or Dime set with 5 or 6 DB's. There's a lot more that goes into it than that. The formation you use is just the first step.
12-02-2016 10:09 AM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(12-02-2016 09:07 AM)Unruly Duck Wrote:  I've noticed the drum banging for a five man front being the antidote to the Navy offense has gone remarkably silent. ECU and SMU both used a five man line exclusively and those were two of Navy's highest scoring games. I think if you can beat navy physically, then you can beat them physically, but a five man front is not the end-all, be-all against the option.

You still need 5 with a pulse that can actually defeat blocks and move.
12-02-2016 10:16 AM
maccoyle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Temple
To be fair, ECU fails on defense in all its formations.
12-02-2016 10:18 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(12-02-2016 10:16 AM)ultraviolet Wrote:  

You can beat Navy with a 3,4 or 5 man front. The keys are to consistently stop the dive, hit the QB & don't let him outside the end & string the pitch to the boundary. But you have to do it consistently. Best sets are the ones that fit your personnel.
12-02-2016 10:26 AM
ultraviolet Offline
Heisman

(12-02-2016 10:18 AM)maccoyle Wrote:  To be fair, ECU fails on defense in all its formations.

That is fair, but not completely accurate. ECU's offense fails in most formations as well.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 10:31 AM by ultraviolet.)
12-02-2016 10:27 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

The Five Man front.
Honestly I would just all out blitz them and make them beat you with a pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-02-2016 10:47 AM
Advertisement

HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
To beat Navy, you either need a superior defense (Alabama) or a smart head coach.

This Army fan knows all too well.
12-02-2016 01:03 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

(12-02-2016 01:03 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  To beat Navy, you either need a superior defense (Alabama) or a smart head coach.

This kinda goes with what I've been thinking. If your defensive athletes are superior to Navy's offensive athletes I think that gives you a much better chance to stop them. You still need execution, and strategy, etc,, but better players help to overcome mistakes when you don't execute or line up right.
12-02-2016 01:08 PM
texcane1982 Offline
2nd String

(12-02-2016 01:03 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  To beat Navy, you either need a superior defense (Alabama) or a smart head coach.

+1

Physical and fast defenders. Between 1985-1987 the Oklahoma Sooners won 33 lost 3 with a very efficient wish/flex/wing-bone offense. The Sooners went 11-1 each of those 3 seasons, their only losses were to U. of Miami. At that time Miami had a front 7 with the greatest combination of strength and speed.

Tulsa was able to hold Navy to minimal gains 2 out of 4 plays on avg, but that doesn't matter too much when they gain 6-7 yds 1 out every 4 snaps.

The Tulsa/Navy game was one of the best games played in the AAC this season. Not good for D-Coordinators, but great for fans. Hats of to Navy, a very disciplined offense that operates like a well-oiled machine.[/align]

TX
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 01:27 PM by texcane1982.)
12-02-2016 01:22 PM
Advertisement

NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Navy
(12-02-2016 10:26 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 10:16 AM)ultraviolet Wrote:  

You can beat Navy with a 3,4 or 5 man front. The keys are to consistently stop the dive, hit the QB & don't let him outside the end & string the pitch to the boundary. But you have to do it consistently. Best sets are the ones that fit your personnel.

Formation matters far less than winning individual battles. Plus is you focus on the run, we can beat you with the pass.
12-02-2016 02:42 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

Players also can't get stuck thinking about the offense. When you watch Navy, opposing defensive players regularly get stuck thinking for a second. In the ECU game there were LBs in good position to make the play but just didn't attack. They took a second to absorb what was happening and by then they were already beat. ECU has had trouble busting up screens for the same reason.

If you put the most impressive formation in the world out there, but your players don't have certain things down to muscle memory, you don't have a chance against Navy. Navy has everything down to machine-like precision and mix that with tenacity that you don't see from any other team.
12-02-2016 05:15 PM
uhmump95 Offline
Race Pimp

I Root For: all my hoes!
Crappies
You have to play disciplined defense to be Navy. Every player has to have a role and execute it every play. We played an option team in high school with a 4 -3 and was very successful because the coaches drilled that you have to do your role every play.
12-02-2016 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.