Heart of Dallas could be option if WMU doesn't make Access Bowl
Bookmark and Share
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
Heart of Dallas could be option if WMU doesn't make Access Bowl
https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/status...8099105792

Quote:From what I'm hearing ESPN is playing a big role in mapping out contingencies. The Heart of Dallas Bowl could be a WMU landing spot.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2016 10:14 PM by BeliefBlazer.)
12-01-2016 10:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techdawg28 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Heart of Dallas could be option if WMU doesn't make Access Bowl
(12-01-2016 10:14 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/status...8099105792

Quote:From what I'm hearing ESPN is playing a big role in mapping out contingencies. The Heart of Dallas Bowl could be a WMU landing spot.

I would rather play a P5 team if possible (looking at you, 5-7 Texas), but I will gladly sink a boat 04-rock
12-01-2016 10:28 PM
Doots4Dawgs Offline
1st String

(12-01-2016 10:28 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 10:14 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/status...8099105792

I would rather play a P5 team if possible (looking at you, 5-7 Texas), but I will gladly sink a boat 04-rock

The Iceberg to their Titanic.
12-02-2016 12:53 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
Shameful to send an undefeated to HoD.
12-02-2016 12:54 AM
UNT15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(12-02-2016 12:54 AM)SApuro Wrote:  Shameful to send an undefeated to HoD.

This.

If they're undefeated, they have earned the NY6 bowl over Navy.
12-02-2016 12:59 AM
HanselTop Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU
While I agree with this, I think LaTech would whip that @ss
12-02-2016 09:02 AM
Advertisement

techdawg28 Offline
1st String

(12-02-2016 12:59 AM)UNT15 Wrote:  

This.

While I agree with you, I can see the argument the other way.

WMU's best win is 6-6 Northwestern and there's really no other opponent they've played that even approaches that.

Navy, despite losses to Air Force (who also knocked off Boise State) and South Florida (who's ranked in the AP and should have been by the CFP), has wins over a ranked Houston and very good Memphis and Tulsa teams. Add to that that a win over Temple looks better than a win over Ohio.
12-02-2016 09:48 AM
BlueraiderJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MTSU
If LaTech couldn't beat us, you ain't beating WMU. We played them in the Bahamas bowl last year and that team is a dang good football team with a real defense. Something we don't have in this conference. 32nd in total D, 14th in total O and 13th in rushing. They are also 2nd in both 3rd and 4th down conversion %. They just beat a team that was 5th in total offense by 20.

WMU is a team nobody wants to face right now. Fleck is a top notch coach.
12-02-2016 10:02 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Here we go. If an undefeated, highest ranked, G-5 does not make an Access Bowl then the P5 lock-out is complete and the G's need to circle the wagons and file anti-trust litigation against the selection committee.

Right now the Massey Composite has WMU sitting at #12 with SEVEN multi-loss teams in front of them. And the three teams behind them have a combined ELEVEN losses.

The G-5 '18-22 year old' student athletes put their jocks on one leg at a time, just like the P5's. This is going to be an issue to watch real close.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 11:24 AM by FIUFan.)
12-02-2016 11:23 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(12-02-2016 11:23 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  Here we go. If an undefeated, highest ranked, G-5 does not make an Access Bowl then the P5 lock-out is complete and the G's need to circle the wagons and file anti-trust litigation against the selection committee.

Right now the Massey Composite has WMU sitting at #12 with SEVEN multi-loss teams in front of them. And the three teams behind them have a combined ELEVEN losses.

The G-5 '18-22 year old' student athletes put their jocks on one leg at a time, just like the P5's. This is going to be an issue to watch real close.

There has to be a G5 team picked for the Cotton Bowl this season just like every season, that was part of the 10 or 15 year agreement signed with this new playoff system...THey will take WMU, Navy, Temple, SDSU, Wyoming, WKU or La. Tech as required to take the highest overall G5 conference champion..
12-02-2016 11:31 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(12-02-2016 09:48 AM)techdawg28 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 12:59 AM)UNT15 Wrote:  

This.

While I agree with you, I can see the argument the other way.

WMU's best win is 6-6 Northwestern and there's really no other opponent they've played that even approaches that.

Navy, despite losses to Air Force (who also knocked off Boise State) and South Florida (who's ranked in the AP and should have been by the CFP), has wins over a ranked Houston and very good Memphis and Tulsa teams. Add to that that a win over Temple looks better than a win over Ohio.

Navy has 3 wins over bowl eligible teams to WMU's 4 wins over bowl eligible teams. And I would argue that WMU's win over Toledo is up there for their best win (9-3). Navy has lost twice and WMU has not. The winning percentage of both schools' opponents they've beaten is in the 40s. WMU played two of its OOC games on the road to Navy's one.

It shouldn't even be a discussion if WMU remains undefeated and beats Ohio. The Committee/ESPiN are thinking fanbase and ratings with that discussion.

Edit: counted wrong
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 11:46 AM by TribeNiner.)
12-02-2016 11:32 AM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

(12-02-2016 11:31 AM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:23 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  Here we go. If an undefeated, highest ranked, G-5 does not make an Access Bowl then the P5 lock-out is complete and the G's need to circle the wagons and file anti-trust litigation against the selection committee.

There has to be a G5 team picked for the Cotton Bowl this season just like every season, that was part of the 10 or 15 year agreement signed with this new playoff system...THey will take WMU, Navy, Temple, SDSU, Wyoming, WKU or La. Tech as required to take the highest overall G5 conference champion..

So what's the issue?
12-02-2016 11:46 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(12-02-2016 11:46 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  

So what's the issue?

The issue is that they get to choose who they think is the highest rated G-5 conference champion. If they decide it's Navy, then (1) an undefeated WMU that's ranked higher by pretty much everyone else gets left out, and (2) it could delay bowl selection slots if they are considering Navy and they want to wait until the Army/Navy game (within 3 days of some bowl games) before deciding.

The Committee will do what they think is best for college football, IMO - not what's actually right. If the committee thinks Navy will travel better and put more eyeballs on the TV and they can even call the selection close, then they are going to go with Navy. Same thing with Clemson being behind Ohio State - most of the numbers say Clemson has played the toughest schedule (number of bowl eligible opponents faced, number of bowl eligible teams beaten and winning percentage of teams they've beaten), but people have so convinced everyone that the BigTen is almighty that they get overlooked.

Kind of like how nobody mentions that Alabama hasn't played a road OOC game in over 5 years because they don't want to have to be tested... but that's none of my business 07-coffee3
12-02-2016 12:07 PM
CincyKid3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Miami
Not sure if it'll help WMU's case or not, but the MAC championship tonight at Ford Field is expected to break all previous attendance records for that game........granted, attendance at this neutral site has not been very good in the past, but over 46K tickets have been sold as of yesterday and could be a crowd of 50K plus.
12-02-2016 12:19 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(12-02-2016 12:07 PM)TribeNiner Wrote:  The issue is that they get to choose who they think is the highest rated G-5 conference champion. If they decide it's Navy, then (1) an undefeated WMU that's ranked higher by pretty much everyone else gets left out, and (2) it could delay bowl selection slots if they are considering Navy and they want to wait until the Army/Navy game (within 3 days of some bowl games) before deciding.

The Committee will do what they think is best for college football, IMO - not what's actually right. If the committee thinks Navy will travel better and put more eyeballs on the TV and they can even call the selection close, then they are going to go with Navy. Same thing with Clemson being behind Ohio State - most of the numbers say Clemson has played the toughest schedule (number of bowl eligible opponents faced, number of bowl eligible teams beaten and winning percentage of teams they've beaten), but people have so convinced everyone that the BigTen is almighty that they get overlooked.

Kind of like how nobody mentions that Alabama hasn't played a road OOC game in over 5 years because they don't want to have to be tested... but that's none of my business 07-coffee3

It's not a subjective selection. As you say, the committe must choose the highest ranked G5 conference champion and WMU is waayyy ahead of Navy, and Boise for that matter. If they win, they must be selected over a two loss Navy. I don't think there's a ranking out there that has Navy (or Boise) ahead of WMU.
12-02-2016 12:19 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(12-02-2016 12:19 PM)CincyKid3 Wrote:  Not sure if it'll help WMU's case or not, but the MAC championship tonight at Ford Field is expected to break all previous attendance records for that game........granted, attendance at this neutral site has not been very good in the past, but over 46K tickets have been sold as of yesterday and could be a crowd of 50K plus.

I'm sick about the lack of respect the MAC schools get. Sure they have some really awful teams but their good ones (in any given year) are really good. They just don't have the consistent power name like a Boise or Houston.
12-02-2016 12:21 PM
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
(12-02-2016 12:07 PM)TribeNiner Wrote:  
(12-02-2016 11:46 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  

So what's the issue?

The issue is that they get to choose who they think is the highest rated G-5 conference champion. If they decide it's Navy, then (1) an undefeated WMU that's ranked higher by pretty much everyone else gets left out, and (2) it could delay bowl selection slots if they are considering Navy and they want to wait until the Army/Navy game (within 3 days of some bowl games) before deciding.

This. Navy looks better to the eye than WMU. Plus the CFP can put a popular G5 team in the New YEars Bowl and take some pressure off of the sham that is this playoff system. Navy will be the NY Bowl game if they win the next two games. They simply will. This is all about optics and appearing to do the right thing. Hard for most fans to go against one of the military academies. CFP system is corrupt.
12-02-2016 12:23 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I don't know if there's any wiggle room with the current contract, but if Western Michigan and Navy lose their conference title games and the G5 rep is an unranked team, I could see an attempt at removing the conference-champion requirement and just sending the highest-ranking team regardless.
12-02-2016 12:39 PM
BlueraiderJT Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MTSU
If WMU wins tonight, they are in it. End of discussion. ESPN is behind them. Hell, the did a college GameDay there and basically did a 3 hour commercial for Fleck. You'll know the answer tonight.
12-02-2016 12:51 PM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
(12-02-2016 12:39 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  I don't know if there's any wiggle room with the current contract, but if Western Michigan and Navy lose their conference title games and the G5 rep is an unranked team, I could see an attempt at removing the conference-champion requirement and just sending the highest-ranking team regardless.

No way.

The Sunbelt, C-USA and MWC should raise unholy hell in that case.

If WMU loses, AAC Champion = NY6 Gimme bowl team.
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2016 01:25 PM by LaTechBanjo.)
12-02-2016 01:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.