RE: WMU will RTB to the Cotton Bowl
The CFP members have stated otherwise.
11-30-2016 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(11-30-2016 06:11 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  ...if they win Friday Night!

But still lots of AAC Love in this weeks prediction podcast04-cheers

https://soundcloud.com/thegreat5/champio...ew-week-14

ESPN is working behind the scenes to help WMU find a more appropriate bowl.

Negotiations would make Western Michigan eligible for more big bowls if not in Cotton

"... A source told CBS Sports that talks are ongoing regarding that wide array of bowls to arrange the best matchup and time slot for the Broncos if they end the season undefeated.

There is concern within the MAC that an undefeated Western Michigan (at 13-0 after Saturday) will be beaten out by a would-be 11-2 Navy for the Cotton Bowl berth, which automatically goes to the highest-ranked Group of Five conference champion.

"We continue to believe Western Michigan controls their destiny," MAC commissioner Jon Steinbrecher said... ."

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...in-cotton/
11-30-2016 06:32 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

I Root For: UH
I'm as aac friendly as anyone here, but it would be a shame if a 2 loss navy team gets in over an undefeated WMU. I don't care that navy probably is the better team, if you go undefeated you did every thing you possibly could. If you dropped two games then you have to just own it.
11-30-2016 07:26 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

WMU will RTB to the Cotton Bowl
(11-30-2016 07:26 PM)vcoog Wrote:  I'm as aac friendly as anyone here, but it would be a shame if a 2 loss navy team gets in over an undefeated WMU. I don't care that navy probably is the better team, if you go undefeated you did every thing you possibly could. If you dropped two games then you have to just own it.

Exactly! Which is why i dont think navy gets it. As we are seeing it is much simpler for the committee to just put in WMU, then have to work out a way for navy get in. Navy is already causing a big headache and that probably means unless WMU loses they are not getting in.
11-30-2016 07:32 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 07:26 PM)vcoog Wrote:  I'm as aac friendly as anyone here, but it would be a shame if a 2 loss navy team gets in over an undefeated WMU. I don't care that navy probably is the better team, if you go undefeated you did every thing you possibly could. If you dropped two games then you have to just own it.

Except Navy has had harder schedule.
11-30-2016 07:34 PM
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 06:11 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  ...if they win Friday Night!

But still lots of AAC Love in this weeks prediction podcast04-cheers

https://soundcloud.com/thegreat5/champio...ew-week-14

Wrong,Navy gets it. AaC more respectable league to play against P5.
11-30-2016 07:35 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL

Nonsense. If that were the case, the best Sun Belt team should just schedule 4 I-AA schools every year and hope to go undefeated.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 08:08 PM by Kronke.)
11-30-2016 08:08 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

Agree with this.

11-30-2016 08:20 PM
vcoog Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 08:08 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

Nonsense. If that were the case, the best Sun Belt team should just schedule 4 I-AA schools every year and hope to go undefeated.

If it is the case where navy gets in with 2 losses, then why even play the football games? WMU played 2 p5 teams. The only time resume comparing should come into play is if both had 2 losses or there was gray area. There's not. WMU has zero losses. Navy has 2. End of it. If it were truly a fair system WMU would have the opportunity to be in a playoff, where if they somehow kept winning they could be a national champion.

How is it that every highschool in Texas starts the year with the ability to win a state championship, but over half the division 1 universities, even if they win every game on the schedule, have no chance to win a championship?

That's the real gripe.
11-30-2016 08:39 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(11-30-2016 08:39 PM)vcoog Wrote:  

If it is the case where navy gets in with 2 losses, then why even play the football games? WMU played 2 p5 teams. The only time resume comparing should come into play is if both had 2 losses or there was gray area. There's not. WMU has zero losses. Navy has 2. End of it. If it were truly a fair system WMU would have the opportunity to be in a playoff, where if they somehow kept winning they could be a national champion.

How is it that every highschool in Texas starts the year with the ability to win a state championship, but over half the division 1 universities, even if they win every game on the schedule, have no chance to win a championship?

That's the real gripe.

You're arguing what you think it should be vs. what it actually is.

Last year, we were 12-1 and went into the Peach Bowl ranked #18 in the CFP. FSU was 10-2, and went in ranked #9. Conference strength matters. The same 12-0 WMU team that ran through the MAC may not have finished any higher than 5th in the AAC West this year.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 08:45 PM by Kronke.)
11-30-2016 08:44 PM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU

If anything like that had happened you might have a point here.
11-30-2016 08:45 PM
Chappy Online
Resident Goonie

WMU will RTB to the Cotton Bowl

I agree, but I also feel like there will be pressure on the committee from the bowls to take the bigger national brand.
11-30-2016 08:46 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-30-2016 07:34 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  

Except Navy has had harder schedule.

Significantly harder. In no other sport is it just about beating a murderous row of cupcakes. ALL SPORTS are beholden to SOS

Navy deserves it
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 08:56 PM by BigEastHomer.)
11-30-2016 08:55 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-30-2016 08:44 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

That's the real gripe.

You're arguing what you think it should be vs. what it actually is.

Last year, we were 12-1 and went into the Peach Bowl ranked #18 in the CFP. FSU was 10-2, and went in ranked #9. Conference strength matters. The same 12-0 WMU team that ran through the MAC may not have finished any higher than 5th in the AAC West this year.

[Image: giphy.gif]
11-30-2016 08:57 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida

That's the real gripe.

This is not a hard concept. Honestly, even G5 teams, dare I say CUSA and Sunbelt teams, can make a case for the CFP.

Here is the deal. P5 have their conference games, which many will be very high quality wins. These P5 teams can schedule light OOC. their conference makes up for it. When you have a team like WMU, who basically had a cupcake MAC schedule, one must look at their OOC. They beat 2 crappy P5 teams..... who cares. Not impressive.

Now, if WMU had Houston's OOC schedule and beat OK and Louisville, I don't think there would be any question that they get the access bowl. Hell, Houston was even predicted to be in the playoff by a lot of outlets after the Oklahoma win, of course the AAC conference schedule is a bit better than the MAC schedule. So if WMU scheduled Louisville, Oklahoma, Utah, and Penn State......even with a crappy MAC schedule, I'm pretty sure an undefeated WMU goes to the CFP.

So all G5 teams have a way into the CFP. It's a little harder, but yes, they just need to schedule to build their resume to counteract the stench of some lower G5 conference schedules.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 08:59 PM by otown.)
11-30-2016 08:57 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Why don't we all revisit 1998 Tulane. They didn't sniff a BCS game either for the same SOS concerns (and they played in a better conference). They were 1 of only 2 undefeateds that year.

Stop acting like its unprecedented for a 2 loss team with a much better schedule and more significant wins to get the 'BCS' spot.

[Image: 2096517.jpeg]

1998 Tulane Green Wave football team
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conference USA champion
Liberty Bowl champion
1998 Liberty Bowl vs. BYU, Won 41–27
Conference
Conference USA

The 1998 Tulane Green Wave football team represented Tulane University in the 1998 college football season. The Green Wave finished with a record of 12 wins and no losses, one of only two NCAA Division 1-A teams to complete the season undefeated, the other being the BCS champion Tennessee Volunteers.
Despite finishing undefeated, the Green Wave were not considered for a BCS game, let alone a berth in the 1999 Fiesta Bowl—that year's national title game—because it was felt they had not played a legitimate schedule. They did not play a single ranked team all season, and the only AQ conference member on their schedule was a Rutgers team that finished tied for sixth in the Big East. They defeated Brigham Young University in the Liberty Bowl. The Green Wave finished the season ranked seventh in the nation in both the AP Poll and Coaches' Poll—in both cases, its highest rankings in school history since the 1939 Tulane football season when they were ranked No. 5 in the AP Poll.
The Green Wave won all of their games by six points or more. The combined 538 points set a single-season school record.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tulan...tball_team
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 09:07 PM by BigEastHomer.)
11-30-2016 09:06 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2016 09:06 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Why don't we all revisit 1998 Tulane. They didn't sniff a BCS game either for the same SOS concerns (and they played in a better conference). They were 1 of only 2 undefeateds that year.

Stop acting like its unprecedented for a 2 loss team with a much better schedule and more significant wins to get the 'BCS' spot.

Conference USA champion
Liberty Bowl champion
Conference
Conference USA

The 1998 Tulane Green Wave football team represented Tulane University in the 1998 college football season. The Green Wave finished with a record of 12 wins and no losses, one of only two NCAA Division 1-A teams to complete the season undefeated, the other being the BCS champion Tennessee Volunteers.
Despite finishing undefeated, the Green Wave were not considered for a BCS game, let alone a berth in the 1999 Fiesta Bowl—that year's national title game—because it was felt they had not played a legitimate schedule. They did not play a single ranked team all season, and the only AQ conference member on their schedule was a Rutgers team that finished tied for sixth in the Big East. They defeated Brigham Young University in the Liberty Bowl. The Green Wave finished the season ranked seventh in the nation in both the AP Poll and Coaches' Poll—in both cases, its highest rankings in school history since the 1939 Tulane football season when they were ranked No. 5 in the AP Poll.
The Green Wave won all of their games by six points or more. The combined 538 points set a single-season school record.[1]

There was no requirement for a non-BCS/G5 team to make a BCS game in 1998. And none did. If there was a requirement, Tulane would have almost certainly gone as they were ranked 11th going into bowl season.

This supports your point.. how??
11-30-2016 09:13 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-30-2016 09:13 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 09:06 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  Why don't we all revisit 1998 Tulane. They didn't sniff a BCS game either for the same SOS concerns (and they played in a better conference). They were 1 of only 2 undefeateds that year.

Conference USA champion
Liberty Bowl champion
Conference
Conference USA

There was no requirement for a non-BCS/G5 team to make a BCS game in 1998. And none did. If there was a requirement, Tulane would have almost certainly gone as they were ranked 11th going into bowl season.

That's irrelevant. The SOS element doesn't end at the P5/G5 line.

It's extends throughout the non-autonomy conferences too. The AAC's record versus the lower tier conferences is something like 20-2. Navy has a much better schedule and much better wins, including a win against the #6 team in the country when they played them this year.

WMU has no signature wins.

This is about RESUME just like the NCAA tournament.

In 1998, if there was an automatic "access" BCS game and, say, UTAH had been undefeated that year along with Tulane, but had wins over UCLA and Colorado, they would have shut out TULANE for that spot also.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 09:23 PM by BigEastHomer.)
11-30-2016 09:16 PM
wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2016 09:16 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 09:13 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  

Conference USA champion
Liberty Bowl champion
Conference
Conference USA

That's irrelevant. The SOS element doesn't end at the P5/G5 line.

It's extends throughout the non-autonomy conferences too. The AAC's record versus the lower tier conferences is something like 20-2. Navy has a much better schedule and much better wins, including a win against the #6 team in the country when they played them this year.

WMU has no signature wins.

This is about RESUME just like the NCAA tournament.

OK, the points in each teams' favor have been hashed out over and over on this board. I don't have time or frankly patience to argue them more tonight. That doesn't change that what you brought up re: Tulane is completely irrelevant.
11-30-2016 09:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.