Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply 
ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
Author Message
Bookmark and Share
Gilesfan Offline
Heisman
*

Posts: 9,014
Joined: May 2012
Reputation: 44
I Root For: ODU
Location:
Post: #11
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
You have an issue with the selection here:

http://www.bkstr.com/NavigationSearch?se...down-_-986
11-30-2016 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmett003 Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,635
Joined: Nov 2013
Reputation: 12
I Root For: Old Dominion
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post: #12
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(11-30-2016 02:55 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You have an issue with the selection here:

http://www.bkstr.com/NavigationSearch?se...down-_-986

YES! 95% is not worth buying and the other 5% I already have.
11-30-2016 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU_NYG Offline
All American
*

Posts: 3,448
Joined: May 2012
Reputation: 25
I Root For: ODU
Location: Alexandria, VA
Post: #13
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
The answer is simple, but probably will never happen. We need to go to the Final Four. No one outside of VA knew who VCU was until they did that. Now everyone knows who they are. If we're very lucky that'll happen one day. If we continue that luck we'll milk the hell out of it like VCU did and not like GMU did.

As far as football we probably won't be in any position to do anything on a regular basis to turn us into a nationally recognized program.

Until something like a FF happens I doubt we'll ever improve on much more than something like the OPs "Local" suggestion. There are just too many other options that will always be ahead of us - UVA, VT, VCU. Go up north to the DMV and you can subtract VCU and add G'town, UMD and maybe GW and GMU.
11-30-2016 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gilesfan Offline
Heisman
*

Posts: 9,014
Joined: May 2012
Reputation: 44
I Root For: ODU
Location:
Post: #14
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(11-30-2016 03:01 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 02:55 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You have an issue with the selection here:

http://www.bkstr.com/NavigationSearch?se...down-_-986

YES! 95% is not worth buying and the other 5% I already have.

Ok, just wanted to be on same page. My grad school is a Jordan brand school that is a P-5 school. They have the same issue too. I browse the selection and there just isn't much I'm interested in. Maybe it's just because I'm old and don't know style. I actually prefer the apparal that ODUs store offers.
11-30-2016 03:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owynn Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 256
Joined: Mar 2013
Reputation: 5
I Root For: ODU
Location: Richmond, VA
Post: #15
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
I went to one of those Christmas stores on the Virginia Beach strip in July and noticed that nearly every mid-to-major school in the South with one exception had ornaments for sale. Take a guess which school didn't.

I think it was mentioned on the boards a year ago by Dr. Chandler that ODU was focused on growing its brand in the Hampton Roads area, being able to get ODU merch here in Richmond (or even 20 minutes away at the Oceanfront) might take a while.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2016 03:11 PM by owynn.)
11-30-2016 03:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUDrunkard13 Offline
Moderator
*

Posts: 6,739
Joined: May 2012
Reputation: 141
I Root For: ODU
Location: 757
Post: #16
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(11-30-2016 02:24 PM)Punk Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 02:19 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Also has anyone noticed that Greys Pharmacy has flags of JMU, VMI, VT and other schools in its windows! WTF? Who cares if they sell them but really, you cant have any pride in the school right across the street?

Gray's last day open was yesterday, so it probably doesn't matter anymore. Anybody know if there is another tenant moving into that space?

CVS bought them out. But the Gray family still own the building. Haven't heard anything about what it might become.
11-30-2016 03:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
monarx Offline
All American
*

Posts: 4,514
Joined: May 2012
Reputation: 39
I Root For: ODU
Location:
Post: #17
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
Part of the issue is our geographic footprint is a problem compared to other schools. Most schools have a good 100 mile radius around their campus from which to draw students and fans. For ODU, we have nearly one quarter the area. Half of our radius is over the atlantic ocean, and a quarter of it is in North Carolina. Our natural area of interest is severely limited due to the cul de sac locale.
11-30-2016 03:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarchblue Offline
All American
*

Posts: 4,764
Joined: May 2012
Reputation: 58
I Root For: ODU
Location:
Post: #18
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(11-30-2016 02:24 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 02:15 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 02:06 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Locally, the city would have to approve. Any idea if they have or have not discussed?

I dont know if its been discussed but I would like to see it happen.


Regionally, I doubt ODU controls this. Why would a merchandise store carry products that they don't believe would sell? Maybe ODU doesn't do a good enough job marketing or maybe they can't force stores to buy their apparel.

Sounds like a lame a** excuse. If other lower profile schools can do it why not ODU? There is no reason they cant.

Nationally, I seriously doubt ESPN would care if Wood Selig chewed them out. They already don't care about G-5 schools and probably want them gone.

Never said ESPN would care if WS did that but even from their own standpoint it doesnt help them if the put out halfa** content.

Got any ideas of your own instead of just critiquing mine?

Does the "lower profile" schools sell more merchandise? Its not like a retailer is going to carry stock they know they can't sell.

Thanks for the comments Wood.
11-30-2016 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cmett003 Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,635
Joined: Nov 2013
Reputation: 12
I Root For: Old Dominion
Location: Charlotte, NC
Post: #19
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(11-30-2016 03:14 PM)monarx Wrote:  Part of the issue is our geographic footprint is a problem compared to other schools. Most schools have a good 100 mile radius around their campus from which to draw students and fans. For ODU, we have nearly one quarter the area. Half of our radius is over the atlantic ocean, and a quarter of it is in North Carolina. Our natural area of interest is severely limited due to the cul de sac locale.

But even with that argument we still have more people than all other schools (except for maybe George Mason) even if the area is not as big as others.
11-30-2016 03:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Monarchblue Offline
All American
*

Posts: 4,764
Joined: May 2012
Reputation: 58
I Root For: ODU
Location:
Post: #20
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
(11-30-2016 03:05 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  The answer is simple, but probably will never happen. We need to go to the Final Four. No one outside of VA knew who VCU was until they did that. Now everyone knows who they are. If we're very lucky that'll happen one day. If we continue that luck we'll milk the hell out of it like VCU did and not like GMU did.

As far as football we probably won't be in any position to do anything on a regular basis to turn us into a nationally recognized program.

Until something like a FF happens I doubt we'll ever improve on much more than something like the OPs "Local" suggestion. There are just too many other options that will always be ahead of us - UVA, VT, VCU. Go up north to the DMV and you can subtract VCU and add G'town, UMD and maybe GW and GMU.

You don't have to go to The Final Four. You just have to be good for an extended period of time. By good I mean winning games in the tournament, beating P5 teams that aren't terrible, and being ranked/close to ranked.
11-30-2016 03:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


Copyright © 2002-2018 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2018 MyBB Group.