Good Willie Taggart article
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Good Willie Taggart article
Good read.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...head-coach

Don’t let the smile fool you. Willie Taggart and USF are done being ignored

The man who’s built the Bulls from 2-10 to the best record in school history has proved he can adapt, recruit, and lead. Now what?

------------
Then Taggart stopped smiling, and a rival took it personally.

Trailing 41-31 with under three minutes left, UCF faced fourth-and-16 from its own 10-yard-line. UCF head coach Frost elected to go for it, as one would. USF sacked Justin Holman and took possession with 1:44 remaining. The game was effectively done.

Instead, Taggart called a run play. Then two more. And on fourth-and-goal with 11 seconds left and up by 10, another one.

And so running back D’Erne Johnson punched a 17-point lead at almost the same time South Florida’s players discovered the replica Interstate sign from the War On I-4 trophy could be unsheathed from its wooden base. They thus began taking turns playing the pewter road marker like a guitar.

“Scott told me after the game he respected our team, but he’d remember that last touchdown,” Taggart said. “I told him, ‘Me too. I’ll remember it.’”

After 12 weeks outside of national polls, USF finished 10-2 for the first time in program history, and while opposing players from hometowns statewide tangled and hollered in big hugs, Taggart was held back by assistants while arguing with a Golden Knights assistant upset about Johnson’s touchdown.

“They’re a good team, probably going to be a great team, but we’re fighting right now. We’re fighting to be recognized. We’re fighting to be ranked. We’re fighting for the attention these players deserve,” Taggart said after the game.

“Our motto is, if you try to score on us, we’ll score on you. If you punt, we’ll take a knee.”

South Florida can score on you, quickly, frequently, and in an infuriating manner. They’re fourth nationally in IsoPPP, Bill Connelly’s metric for explosive plays. In simpler terms, USF is 30th in FBS in plays of 10 or more yards from scrimmage, tied for seventh in plays of 20 or more, and tied for fifth in plays of 30 or more.

And USF leads the nation in plays of 40 or more yards from scrimmage.
11-29-2016 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
RE: Good Willie Taggart article
(11-29-2016 11:51 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  “They’re a good team, probably going to be a great team, but we’re fighting right now. We’re fighting to be recognized. We’re fighting to be ranked. We’re fighting for the attention these players deserve,” Taggart said after the game.

Congrats on winning the fight. I now recognize Willie as a douchebag.
11-29-2016 11:57 AM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

Taggart has slowly improved USF and given them what they never had before, which is depth. A solid foundation. CJL teams were grit and duct tape and a bit of smoke and mirrors. For once USF won the games it should.

the last TD was low rent but since there is no other trophy on the horizon for USF they may as well enjoy the War on I-4. Gives them something to put in the trophy case.
11-29-2016 12:00 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

(11-29-2016 12:00 PM)StatueKnight Wrote:  Taggart has slowly improved USF and given them what they never had before, which is depth. A solid foundation. CJL teams were grit and duct tape and a bit of smoke and mirrors. For once USF won the games it should.

the last TD was low rent but since there is no other trophy on the horizon for USF they may as well enjoy the War on I-4. Gives them something to put in the trophy case.

Since they didn't win the division, they are free this weekend. They should have a parade at Busch Gardens for their first football trophy.
11-29-2016 12:07 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
10-2 is USF best record in school history? Didn't know that. I thought that they achieved it before.
11-29-2016 12:25 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
USF has never won a conference championship?
Crazy
11-29-2016 12:26 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
LOL. I have no problem with his attitude. Heck we have been on the other end. If you dont like it then dont put the team in a situation to score.
What was the purpose of UCF going it on fourth and long when the game was basically over? Was it to teach your team the game isnt over until the end? Then they should play until the end on defense
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016 12:39 PM by Cubanbull.)
11-29-2016 12:34 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-29-2016 12:25 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  10-2 is USF best record in school history? Didn't know that. I thought that they achieved it before.

Went 9-2 playing an 11 game schedule in 2002. Received a conditional bowl bid, but the bid was not received when the primary tie ins filled bowl (was an independent that year and didn't have a bowl tie in). Would have won 10 that year.

Won 9 games also in 2006 and 2007. Won 8 games a whole bunch of times (6 times).
11-29-2016 12:34 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
(11-29-2016 11:57 AM)SublimeKnight Wrote:  
(11-29-2016 11:51 AM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  “They’re a good team, probably going to be a great team, but we’re fighting right now. We’re fighting to be recognized. We’re fighting to be ranked. We’re fighting for the attention these players deserve,” Taggart said after the game.

Congrats on winning the fight. I now recognize Willie as a douchebag.

I couldn't agree more.
11-29-2016 12:38 PM
NewEnglandBull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF Bulls
Let me get this straight, you mean to tell me that USF was "RUNNING" the ball with a "SECOND STRING" tailback when the game was already decided and they scored a TD???. Oh, my god how could they do such a thing???

Some fans need to go to their safe spaces with their coloring books and play-doh.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2016 12:46 PM by NewEnglandBull.)
11-29-2016 12:45 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-29-2016 12:26 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  USF has never won a conference championship?
Crazy

If the AAC was under the same format as a couple years ago, USF would be Co-champs with Temple and Navy like UC, Memphis, and UCF were that year with all finishing at 7-1. That is how Memphis actually won a conference championship, by being co-champs.

IMO, USF was the best team in AAC this year, but had the unfortunate draw of playing at Temple, while Temple played a soft schedule and soft crossover schedule and had the best team at home. Sour grapes, maybe. But I think most would agree that if USF and Temple played 10 times on a neutral field, USF would win probably 7 or 8 times. Temple fans may disagree and that's fine, I don't blame them. Congrats to them, they won the games they were scheduled to play.

Same thing happened last year. USF actually won all East division games, but had a tougher crossover than Temple and lost to Navy and Memphis. Temple didn't play Navy, but instead got Tulane. Again, if schedules reversed, USF probably wins division that year also. Again, Temple just won the games they were assigned by AAC, but everyone can agree that Navy and Memphis last year were tougher than Tulane and Tulsa (of last year, not this year).

But yes, USF has not won a conf. championship. That is correct.
11-29-2016 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(11-29-2016 12:45 PM)NewEnglandBull Wrote:  Let me get this straight, you mean to tell me that USF was "RUNNING" the ball with a "SECOND STRING" tailback when the game was already decided and they scored a TD???. Oh, my god how could they do such a thing???

Some fans need to go to their safe spaces with their coloring books and play-doh.

Not only that there were no tricks plays just straight runs into the line.
11-29-2016 12:47 PM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
Good Willie is his nickname with the ladies. heyyo! Rimshot
11-29-2016 12:48 PM
PirateJim Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU/Underdogs
What goes around comes around. USF won't always be in the lead position. Just be prepared.
11-29-2016 12:50 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

So let me get this straight. I want to make sure I have it correct. So, UCF can go for it on 4th down and 16 from their 10 yard line, down 2 scores with hardly any time left on clock, instead of punting, when they basically have no chance of winning. Yet, USF can't run the ball with straight ahead in basic plays with their backup tailback. Just want to make sure I have that correct.

As Willie said, if UCF punts the ball when they have no shot of winning instead of trying to go for it on 4th and 16, then USF takes a knee. End of story.
11-29-2016 12:55 PM
NewEnglandBull Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USF Bulls
(11-29-2016 12:50 PM)PirateJim Wrote:  What goes around comes around. USF won't always be in the lead position. Just be prepared.

And that's fine. If we can't stop you then you deserve to score. I for one will not be coming on the board to whine about it.
11-29-2016 12:57 PM
Advertisement

malenko2 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple
(11-29-2016 12:46 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  
Crazy

If the AAC was under the same format as a couple years ago, USF would be Co-champs with Temple and Navy like UC, Memphis, and UCF were that year with all finishing at 7-1. That is how Memphis actually won a conference championship, by being co-champs.

IMO, USF was the best team in AAC this year, but had the unfortunate draw of playing at Temple, while Temple played a soft schedule and soft crossover schedule and had the best team at home. Sour grapes, maybe. But I think most would agree that if USF and Temple played 10 times on a neutral field, USF would win probably 7 or 8 times. Temple fans may disagree and that's fine, I don't blame them. Congrats to them, they won the games they were scheduled to play.

Same thing happened last year. USF actually won all East division games, but had a tougher crossover than Temple and lost to Navy and Memphis. Temple didn't play Navy, but instead got Tulane. Again, if schedules reversed, USF probably wins division that year also. Again, Temple just won the games they were assigned by AAC, but everyone can agree that Navy and Memphis last year were tougher than Tulane and Tulsa (of last year, not this year).

03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit
11-29-2016 12:57 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-29-2016 12:57 PM)malenko2 Wrote:  
Crazy

03-hissyfit03-hissyfit03-hissyfit

Not crying at all. Temple won the games they were scheduled to play, regardless of how easy they were. Congrats. You did what you had to do and won.

I was just laying out the facts of the situation. If you disagree with my version of the fact, then that's fine. No big deal.

Congrats on the division championship. Your team is playing very well.
11-29-2016 01:00 PM
vick mike Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple U
Crazy

Yeah, the post is a little whiny. It's all good though, I think Temple and USF will have a great rivalry within the American.
11-29-2016 01:23 PM
StatueKnight Offline
2nd String

(11-29-2016 12:34 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  What was the purpose of UCF going it on fourth and long when the game was basically over? Was it to teach your team the game isnt over until the end? Then they should play until the end on defense

Did you really just say this thinking it had any meaningful logic? Wow, you really think that being on offense and trying for a score to try for a chance at an onside kick and having the ball on defense when all you have to do is take a knee and the game is over are somehow related in anyway?
11-29-2016 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.