Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SoCon rundown as of 11/27
Bookmark and Share
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
SoCon rundown as of 11/27
I figured I'd post on your board, since it's most active and I like you guys...until our teams play each other 03-shhhh

ETSU -- I'd give the nod to ETSU as the top team at the moment. The 5-1 record is strong. The strength of schedule (263) is weak though. You can only play who's in front of you, and they've been an impressive bunch. Led by Cromer with 19.4 pts. Next leading scorers are bunched together with Payne (10.6), Burrell + HMP with 9.2 apiece. Banks is shooting a ridiculous 20/24 as well. The next two games being non-D1 is strange (finals week or something?), but going @ Dayton the week after (RPI 30) will be a huge test. No obvious weaknesses from your group... teams are going to have to show up for a full 40 minutes to win.

UTC -- Impressive start, but not nearly what some were anticipating. I watched them play KSU the other day and they struggled for much of the game to get separation. This was also with KSU's best player on the bench in foul trouble. Yes, they put the Owls away... but I expected more. Tuoyo is still a monster (16.3 pts, 8.0 boards, and 63% shooting). Once again, a team that you better not have any droughts against.

Mercer -- I place us 3rd at the moment, which I think is both fair and promising. Newcomer Ria'n Holland (20.2 pts) is 2nd leading scorer by average, and 1st in total points (121). The starting 5 is electric with Holland joined by Strawberry, Rivers, Jelks, and Ringer. 6'10" N'Ganga is getting a few minutes a game, and still trying to find his role. Ryan Johnson has emerged as a solid 6th man, but there's several options on the bench that Hoffman is cycling thru in these early games. Ethan Stair remains out with injury, and would be a nice addition if he could recover.

The only other stat I have to comment on... Samford has a guy named Wyatt Walker that is averaging an unheard of 14.2 boards to go along with 14 pts a game. He's been double figures in rebounding in all 5 games, and is an absolute monster on the offensive boards. The 6'9" 240 pounder is going to require some serious game planning. The numbers are video-game-like. His 14.2 boards lead 2nd place Tuoyo (8.0/game) by 6.2! I thought it was a misprint at first. It's not.
11-27-2016 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
RE: SoCon rundown as of 11/27
Who has Samford played? Walker is doing something right, but does competition have any bearing?
11-27-2016 08:56 PM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
(11-27-2016 08:56 PM)shampoo Wrote:  Who has Samford played? Walker is doing something right, but does competition have any bearing?

Pretty decent competition. He did it against Cincinatti, San Diego, and New Mexico State.

I did find one ETSU weakness too, which is 61% free throw shooting (9th SoCon). Will teams 'hack a shaq' on your bigs? I'm also assuming it's your bigs missing the shots.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 10:00 PM by MercerFan.)
11-27-2016 09:58 PM
Buc'ed_Up Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
I'd also add turnovers to that, averaging 15.4/game (254th). With free throws, it hasn't just been our bigs, guards missing free throws too. A strange turn of events after going 16-16 in the first exhibition game. Hopefully both correct themselves
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 10:17 PM by Buc'ed_Up.)
11-27-2016 10:16 PM
Advertisement

brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(11-27-2016 08:31 PM)MercerFan Wrote:  I figured I'd post on your board, since it's most active and I like you guys...until our teams play each other 03-shhhh

ETSU -- I'd give the nod to ETSU as the top team at the moment. The 5-1 record is strong. The strength of schedule (263) is weak though. You can only play who's in front of you, and they've been an impressive bunch. Led by Cromer with 19.4 pts. Next leading scorers are bunched together with Payne (10.6), Burrell + HMP with 9.2 apiece. Banks is shooting a ridiculous 20/24 as well. The next two games being non-D1 is strange (finals week or something?), but going @ Dayton the week after (RPI 30) will be a huge test. No obvious weaknesses from your group... teams are going to have to show up for a full 40 minutes to win.

UTC -- Impressive start, but not nearly what some were anticipating. I watched them play KSU the other day and they struggled for much of the game to get separation. This was also with KSU's best player on the bench in foul trouble. Yes, they put the Owls away... but I expected more. Tuoyo is still a monster (16.3 pts, 8.0 boards, and 63% shooting). Once again, a team that you better not have any droughts against.

Mercer -- I place us 3rd at the moment, which I think is both fair and promising. Newcomer Ria'n Holland (20.2 pts) is 2nd leading scorer by average, and 1st in total points (121). The starting 5 is electric with Holland joined by Strawberry, Rivers, Jelks, and Ringer. 6'10" N'Ganga is getting a few minutes a game, and still trying to find his role. Ryan Johnson has emerged as a solid 6th man, but there's several options on the bench that Hoffman is cycling thru in these early games. Ethan Stair remains out with injury, and would be a nice addition if he could recover.

The only other stat I have to comment on... Samford has a guy named Wyatt Walker that is averaging an unheard of 14.2 boards to go along with 14 pts a game. He's been double figures in rebounding in all 5 games, and is an absolute monster on the offensive boards. The 6'9" 240 pounder is going to require some serious game planning. The numbers are video-game-like. His 14.2 boards lead 2nd place Tuoyo (8.0/game) by 6.2! I thought it was a misprint at first. It's not.

Good stuff. Post this in the Socon board as well
11-27-2016 11:07 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
ETSU and Purdue have similar issues with free throws and turnovers. Just my luck lol.
11-28-2016 12:44 AM
Bucster Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
(11-27-2016 09:58 PM)MercerFan Wrote:  
(11-27-2016 08:56 PM)shampoo Wrote:  Who has Samford played? Walker is doing something right, but does competition have any bearing?

Pretty decent competition. He did it against Cincinatti, San Diego, and New Mexico State.

I did find one ETSU weakness too, which is 61% free throw shooting (9th SoCon). Will teams 'hack a shaq' on your bigs? I'm also assuming it's your bigs missing the shots.

Walker is legit. He abused ETSU in Freedom Hall last year. I hope HMP and Tevin can handle him this year because our bigs last year could not.
11-28-2016 09:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Courtside Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jacksonville
Wyatt Walker is from Jacksonville and played at Providence a perennial state power HS. His teammates included Grayson Allen (Duke), Christian Terrell (FGCU), and Ladarius Griffin (St. Bonaventure). He originally committed to an Ivy (Princeton I believe). I thought he was a bit under recruited. I am not surprised by his success.
11-28-2016 09:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.