Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the committee has any integrity...
C2__ Online
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
If the committee has any integrity...
They'd place Navy in the top ten. The AAC, especially the West, was deep this year. For perspective, the 6th place team in the AAC destroyed the undefeated first place team in the Big 12. They were lucky to be any better than 7-5 this year (Houston very easily could have and probably should have lost to UCF and Tulsa as well).

And suddenly, Navy's worst loss doesn't look so bad. It was to Air Force, 9-3, with wins over Boise and Navy. Let alone how they're playing, scoring 65-75 a game lately.

But I'm guessing they'll just feed the machine and BS propaganda that those other leagues are so much tougher. The litmus test for me is Louisville; if Louisville, 11 last week with a loss to a team Navy beat and a loss to a team worse than their worst loss, is still higher than Navy (25) then the whole system is a sham and no G5 will ever make the playoffs.
11-27-2016 02:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: If the committee has any integrity...
By that judgement, Air Force should be ranked ahead of them since soundly beat Navy.
11-27-2016 02:16 AM
C2__ Online
Caltex2

Air Force also has two really bad losses, plus Wyoming is only average. Navy doesn't have a bad loss, though their best wins are Tulsa and Houston.

Navy is clicking on all cylinders right now and their resume is at least as decent as the mediocre teams ahead of them.
11-27-2016 04:45 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
No G5 will make the playoff. Take a deep breath and live in the reality.

Houston had the chance of all chances this year. As you wrote...they had a decent conference schedule (not far behind the Big 12 and ACC actually)...they had two marquee OOC games against top 25 foes (although they didn't expect Louisville to be the media darling it was when they scheduled that one)...they had a season without dominant teams at the top (Alabama the only undefeated). If they could have gone undefeated...13-0...with the schedule they had, then they may have sniffed the top 4. But don't you see how perfectly the stars would have had to align for 1 solitary team in the G5 category...1 out of 60 of you...and they couldn't do it!!! Why do G5's keep fighting for the impossible? Create your own 8-team playoff...make some money...get your own identity in the college sports landscape (you'll still compete with P5 schools in the OOC).
11-27-2016 05:24 AM
C2__ Online
Caltex2

College athletics isn't some kind of country club and many of the G5 schools played just as big of a role in popularizing it and making it as big as it is. No offense but screw Penn State, Navy has been relevant, off and on, for far longer than Penn State. They shouldn't take a backseat to them just because Penn State is in the right inn. Granted, Penn State pulls its own weight compared to, say, Northwestern but the biggest conferences don't have a divine right to the national title.

Some are the biggest reason college athletics is what it is but come on, schools like Duke and Wake Forest are just lucky they chose to be in the ACC and eventually ACC football built a football brand similar to their basketball (and mostly thanks to the BCS segregation). I'm not saying any G5 team is close this season, they aren't (though it sucks Western Michigan has done only what it can and even beat some big conference schools, which should mean a whole lot apparently) but they're playing us if they think the big conference teams are that much better, at least all of them.

The only teams worth a damn this year are Alabama (who else?), Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson, Washington and Louisville before their second half swoon and collapse. No other major conference team is worth a hill of beans this year, certainly not better than Navy.
11-27-2016 06:27 AM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Penn State fans have gotten cocky again. Our program should be extinct.

And State Penn lost to Pittsburgh and got killed by Michigan. Every team outside Alabama this year has flaws.
11-27-2016 07:32 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-27-2016 02:11 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  They'd place Navy in the top ten.

Navy has two losses and ZERO good OOC wins, and has played about the #70 schedule in the country.

That's good for about #20, which is about where they will be.

Anyone who thinks they should be higher is just a Navy/AAC fanboy.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 07:51 AM by quo vadis.)
11-27-2016 07:50 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Someone needs a valium.
11-27-2016 07:51 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(11-27-2016 02:11 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  They'd place Navy in the top ten. The AAC, especially the West, was deep this year. For perspective, the 6th place team in the AAC destroyed the undefeated first place team in the Big 12. They were lucky to be any better than 7-5 this year (Houston very easily could have and probably should have lost to UCF and Tulsa as well).

And suddenly, Navy's worst loss doesn't look so bad. It was to Air Force, 9-3, with wins over Boise and Navy. Let alone how they're playing, scoring 65-75 a game lately.

But I'm guessing they'll just feed the machine and BS propaganda that those other leagues are so much tougher. The litmus test for me is Louisville; if Louisville, 11 last week with a loss to a team Navy beat and a loss to a team worse than their worst loss, is still higher than Navy (25) then the whole system is a sham and no G5 will ever make the playoffs.

Western Michigan IMO is being kept artificially lower than they should be to avoid a controversy. They should be in over any team not named Alabama, Clemson, Washington, or Ohio St.
11-27-2016 10:08 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-27-2016 02:11 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  They'd place Navy in the top ten. The AAC, especially the West, was deep this year. For perspective, the 6th place team in the AAC destroyed the undefeated first place team in the Big 12. They were lucky to be any better than 7-5 this year (Houston very easily could have and probably should have lost to UCF and Tulsa as well).

03-lmfao
11-27-2016 12:13 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
(11-27-2016 12:13 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

03-lmfao

^^^That's some hard hitting expert commentary right there.^^^
11-27-2016 12:23 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Online
Caltex2

(11-27-2016 07:50 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Navy has two losses and ZERO good OOC wins, and has played about the #70 schedule in the country.

That describes about half of the top 20. Who is Oklahoma's best (*only*) only OOC win? Hell, who is their best win *in-conference*? OU came down here and got their ass kicked. Navy beat Houston in a game that UH barely struggled to keep in range.

Tell me, how can you justify the gulf between OU and Navy? Ridiculous...

Their best win will be OSU or WV. OSU could have 3 losses, one to Central Michigan (don't let it come down to that and get better coverage D on Hail Marys) and Baylor.

Colorado has wins over Stanford and Wazzu, which is okay but nothing better than what Navy has done.

The committee talked all that bull about strength of schedule but then completely ignored it when the time came. Okay, a win over a MAC team means nothing, then what do Western Michigan's wins over two B1G, albeit lower tier, teams mean if that's weighted? It's like a G-d damned carnival game where they can move the target as they see fit.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 02:38 PM by C2__.)
11-27-2016 01:38 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(11-27-2016 01:38 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  

That describes about half of the top 20. Who is Oklahoma's best (*only*) only OOC win? Hell, who is their best win *in-conference*? OU came down here and got their ass kicked. Navy beat Houston in a game that UH barely struggled to keep in range.

Their best win will be OSU or WV. OSU could have 3 losses, one to Central Michigan (don't let it come down to that and get better coverage D on Hail Marys) and Baylor.

Colorado has wins over Stanford and Wazzu, which is okay but nothing better than what Navy has done.

The committee talked all that bull about strength of schedule but then completely ignored it when the time came. Okay, a win over a MAC team means nothing, then what do Western Michigan's wins over two B1G, albeit lower tier, teams mean if that's weighted? It's like a G-d damned carnival game where they can move the target as they see fit.

The system isn't terrible---what makes it horrible is the fact that the committee is hopeless loaded and rigged to see only the P5 as legit. With all P5 reps on the selection committee (save one token member) the fix is in. That group has yet to see a G5 team they think is a top ten team (let alone a top 4).

The fact that non-top 10 G5s have gone 3-0 vs top 10 P5s in NYD bowls the last 3 years hasn't altered that hopeless biased non-fact based narrative. The rigged and loaded voting make up of the sleezection committee is all that allows that biased and hopelessly dated mindset to rule the day.
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 02:20 PM by Attackcoog.)
11-27-2016 02:18 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

By Sagarin, OU has played the #17 schedule, Navy has played the #70 schedule.

That's a BIG gap. 07-coffee3
11-27-2016 02:42 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-27-2016 02:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The system isn't terrible---what makes it horrible is the fact that the committee is hopeless loaded and rigged to see only the P5 as legit. With all P5 reps on the selection committee (save one token member) the fix is in. That group has yet to see a G5 team they think is a top ten team (let alone a top 4).

The fact that non-top 10 G5s have gone 3-0 vs top 10 P5s in NYD bowls the last 3 years hasn't altered that hopeless biased non-fact based narrative. The rigged and loaded voting make up of the sleezection committee is all that allows that biased and hopelessly dated mindset to rule the day.

But in fairness to the committee, there hasn't been any G5 team the first two years of the CFP that should have been in the playoffs, and there isn't one this year either. So despite that bias, they have gotten that part right.

The only controversies have involved P5 vs P5 comparisons.
11-27-2016 02:44 PM
C2__ Online
Caltex2

Who is that token member, Condolingas Rice? Or does she count as a P5 shill because she went to Stanford?

The major conference teams (not even the SEC) aren't even safe from FCS teams these days, so why the narrative about them being that much better than the rest of FBS? Alabama, yes even mighty Alabama, was in a dogfight with a slightly above average SoCon team (UT-Chatt) last week and even if they thought they could just show up and win, the game still shouldn't have been in contention into the fourth quarter.
11-27-2016 02:46 PM
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
All this Navy overrating is becoming a bit tiresome

They're an above average G5 team with a gimmicky offense that has been exposed a few times already, nothing to really write home about

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2016 08:20 PM by Stay Cool.)
11-27-2016 08:19 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
This is an unusual year because normally the G5 conference that has the best representative is also the best G5 conference that particular season.

The MAC is only the 3rd rated conference and if you take out WMU from the equation is probably just above CUSA.

That said we don't know how good WMU actually is and probably won't know until the Cotton Bowl is played. They may be the real deal once they have an opportunity to show it.
11-27-2016 09:42 PM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
(11-27-2016 02:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

All the more reason why the playoffs need to expand to 8 games, with 2 wild cards. Win your conference and you get a bid to the play offs.

That would start one hell of a realignment.
11-27-2016 09:54 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
If WMU goes undefeated they will get the Access Bowl berth. They might have been leapfrogged by a 1-loss AAC or MWC champion but no 2-loss team is going to be handed the berth over them.
11-27-2016 10:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.