Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chuck Martin for Head Coach
Bookmark and Share
BearcatBallJones Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
Chuck Martin for Head Coach
For those of you who follow along most of the threads, this is obviously not the first time I am bringing this up but am hoping tonight validates my previous suggestion. Chuck Martin should be one of the top candidates on our list for the next head coach - I have no reason to believe that Tommy T. isn't let go come 12/08.

I'd like to hear some thoughts but here is why I believe he would be a great fit for UC (and I mean UC specifically, SEC schools etc. maybe not).

1. Offensive Background - OC under Brian Kelly at ND in their successful years (wins now vacated by NCAA) and you need offense to pack Nippert with the "walk-up" fans and compete in the AAC.
2. Head Coaching Experience with Championship success - his National run with Notre Dame is great but he won multiple national championships as head coach at Grand Valley State
3. Recruiting - one of the top recruiting classes in the MAC (paying dividends now), local ties (QB Gus Ragland is a Moeller Grad), and knows the midwest since he has coached here almost his entire career.

I know it isn't a sexy name like a PJ Fleck or Charlie Strong but giving him our facilities and a AAC Salary + Assistant Pool (still considerably larger than what he gets at Miami) could be a difference maker. He still has a lot of years left in him and would be motivated to succeed and I'm fine if he leaves after a few years of success at Nippert.

Definitely a guy we could get and enough of a track record (vs. a Neal Brown type) to prove he can get the job done.

11-23-2016 12:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
RE: Chuck Martin for Head Coach
I think it would be silly not to consider him. He completed one of the biggest turnarounds in CFB history this year and has experience recruiting the area.

11-23-2016 02:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
I'd take him over Strong for sure. He's on the way up, which is when we need to grab a coach. We could also get him cheap since I'm sure he makes under $500k at Miami.

11-23-2016 07:14 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Hmmm. I liked the hire when they brought him in but up until these past 6 games their fan base was done with him.

I have seen him make decisions to help UC win games we probably deserved to lose the past two years. I'd pass.

11-23-2016 08:03 AM
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
A coach who can't beat TT?

Eh....

11-23-2016 08:20 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I like Miami's trajectory under him better than UC's under Tubs. I think he merits consideration for the reasons stated. Going way back in history, UC hired a former Miami head coach in Sid Gillman. That one worked out pretty well!

11-23-2016 08:40 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(11-23-2016 08:40 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  I like Miami's trajectory under him better than UC's under Tubs. I think he merits consideration for the reasons stated. Going way back in history, UC hired a former Miami head coach in Sid Gillman. That one worked out pretty well!

Anyone would be better than CTT; hell he actually coaches his players at practice.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2016 08:46 AM by CliftonAve.)
11-23-2016 08:45 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
This is a rivalry (like it or not). Would he move to the other team? If we don't try to get him this year, he might have other (better) options next year. Might he wait for that?

11-23-2016 09:01 AM
HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

Donators
Brian Brohm

11-23-2016 09:07 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2016 09:07 AM)HoopsJunky Wrote:  Brian Brohm

I think you mean Jeff. Please see this link I shared in the other thread. Per 247 there are rumblings..

https://t.co/c2W8ZHxdGC

11-23-2016 09:09 AM
mikecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uc bearcats
I'm all in on Jeff Brohm!!! At the worst we have a guy that can put lots of points on the scoreboard. Get it done Bohn

11-23-2016 09:17 AM
Advertisement

bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(11-23-2016 09:17 AM)mikecat Wrote:  I'm all in on Jeff Brohm!!! At the worst we have a guy that can put lots of points on the scoreboard. Get it done Bohn

He has also won two vacation...i mean bowl games at WKU.

11-23-2016 09:42 AM
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
LOL for thinking Martin would be interested in UC. Based on his interviews, it wouldnt even cross his mind. He seems to want only a Big Ten or Notre Dame job and isnt interested in a lateral G5 rebuilding job when he has 70 freshman and sophomores to build off of returning next season to launch from. Fleck for that matter either. I doubt he would be interested in the Purdue job either as he wants to coach a historical winner which is why he took a $250,000 pay cut to coach at Miami and stayed so long making peanuts at Grand Valley when he could have made more money elsewhere. Taking a job at Purdue (historical loser) or rebuilding at UC would put his career path in jeopardy and he doesnt seem motivated by money.

Miami losing streak vs. UC ends at your visit to Oxford next season and then our series will revert to the norm of Miami owning an all-time winning record vs UC going forward.

If you get bored during bowl season, flip our bowl game on and root for us.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2016 09:57 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
11-23-2016 09:55 AM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I like him better than TT but I'd also take a burlap sack over TT at this point. We can and should do better than Martin

11-23-2016 09:59 AM
HoopsJunky Offline
Heisman

Donators
(11-23-2016 09:55 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  LOL for thinking Martin would be interested in UC. Based on his interviews, it wouldnt even cross his mind. He seems to want only a Big Ten or Notre Dame job and isnt interested in a lateral G5 rebuilding job when he has 70 freshman and sophomores to build off of returning next season to launch from. Fleck for that matter either. I doubt he would be interested in the Purdue job either as he wants to coach a historical winner which is why he took a $250,000 pay cut to coach at Miami and stayed so long making peanuts at Grand Valley when he could have made more money elsewhere. Taking a job at Purdue (historical loser) or rebuilding at UC would put his career path in jeopardy and he doesnt seem motivated by money.

Miami losing streak vs. UC ends at your visit to Oxford next season and then our series will revert to the norm of Miami owning an all-time winning record vs UC going forward.

If you get bored during bowl season, flip our bowl game on and root for us.

Let me guess you were the kid who was always picked last in dodgeball and crammed in lockers

11-23-2016 10:13 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

Despite his obvious Miami bias and lack of a sense of reality about the state of our two programs, I think Miami (Oh) Yeah ! has it right when it comes to Martin's interest in coming here. It would be a half step up to move here. The expectations are much higher here. If he wins 8 games next year and takes Miami to another bowl game, he will be a hot coach for a mid level P5 program. If he wins 8 games here and takes UC to a bowl game...well, that's what you should do here. That is the difference between our programs. Chuck should stick around Oxford for another year there, pull 10,000 "fans" into their stadium each game next year (as a pregame to their hockey matches) and move on to Northwestern or NC State, making 3.5 mill.

11-23-2016 10:38 AM
Advertisement

Nobones Offline
1st String

I dont think Martin has any shot at ND. He comes from Kelly staff and I think they may stay away from anyone that is associated with him.

11-23-2016 10:43 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(11-23-2016 10:43 AM)Nobones Wrote:  I dont think Martin has any shot at ND. He comes from Kelly staff and I think they may stay away from anyone that is associated with him.

Not only that, but the only way they hire a guy from a MAC would be if he went on a couple season undefeated run and busted the CFB playoffs. Their next hire will be a big name.

11-23-2016 10:46 AM
Nobones Offline
1st String

(11-23-2016 10:46 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(11-23-2016 10:43 AM)Nobones Wrote:  I dont think Martin has any shot at ND. He comes from Kelly staff and I think they may stay away from anyone that is associated with him.

Not only that, but the only way they hire a guy from a MAC would be if he went on a couple season undefeated run and busted the CFB playoffs. Their next hire will be a big name.

You are right about that.

11-23-2016 10:56 AM
MUHawk84 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Miami
(11-23-2016 10:38 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  Despite his obvious Miami bias and lack of a sense of reality about the state of our two programs, I think Miami (Oh) Yeah ! has it right when it comes to Martin's interest in coming here. It would be a half step up to move here. The expectations are much higher here. If he wins 8 games next year and takes Miami to another bowl game, he will be a hot coach for a mid level P5 program. If he wins 8 games here and takes UC to a bowl game...well, that's what you should do here. That is the difference between our programs. Chuck should stick around Oxford for another year there, pull 10,000 "fans" into their stadium each game next year (as a pregame to their hockey matches) and move on to Northwestern or NC State, making 3.5 mill.

Interesting assumptions. Both our glory days were the better part of a decade ago, and since then the parity has been steadily closing to where Miami is barely a lap behind. As for CM...who knows...he has better facilities at Miami to say the least...

11-23-2016 11:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.