Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaching Changes
Owl Is In Chains Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
Coaching Changes
I was reading about the situation at UT and how UT players were voicing their support for Charlie Strong. I am not surprised that they support their coach, and would expect that. I saw there evidently had been some talk about boycotting the game with TCU. One player was quoted as saying something along the lines of that the fans only care about wins and losses. I don't think the majority of UT fans caring only about the team's record is anything new or shocking.

While I may agree there is more than wins and losses that matter, I was surprised by the statement. Don't players at UT understand the expectations by the university and fans when they sign to play for UT? With all of the money and resources UT has for football, I would think you know what you are signing up for, and that the players and coaches would be criticized if they did not win. I guess I thought the players who signed on would embrace those expectations and the benefits that come with meeting those expectations, and understand the possibilities when the expectations are not met.

I would think that the players know that their performances on the field have consequences for the coaching staff. Football assistants at UT have been fired or demoted over the last 3 years. While I understand their support for their coaches, is this response a way to not feel any responsibility for what is happening? Has fair, fun, positive sports changed the desire to win at this level? I would not think so, but then again, what do I know.

I have nothing against Charlie Strong and from what I have read, I believe him to be a good guy and has worked hard to change the culture in UT football. However, I am sure he knows that UT expected more wins from him than he has been able to deliver, and UT is not very patient in waiting for those wins.
11-22-2016 03:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
RE: Coaching Changes
The only possible chance for Strong to keep his job is to win against TCU even though he will probably be gone anyway. Maybe we could look at Strong as a replacement for Baliff.
11-22-2016 03:20 PM
Ranger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: SOF/Owl Basebal
RE: Coaching Changes
(11-22-2016 03:20 PM)75src Wrote:  The only possible chance for Strong to keep his job is to win against TCU even though he will probably be gone anyway. Maybe we could look at Strong as a replacement for Baliff.

Fifty years ago, Rice was an attractive position for someone of Strong's stature, but that train left the station a long time ago.
11-22-2016 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.