Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tuberville Press Conference Quotes
Bookmark and Share
50Cent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Tuberville Press Conference Quotes
https://mobile.twitter.com/TomGroeschenQuotes

He wants to be an AD next. -- Maybe we replace Bohn with Tubs.

Still clings to program in best shape ever -- most ridiculous statement ever

He didn't come here to move on to the pros or another coaching job. -- who would take him??!! Please?!!

Says Bohn understands what he (Tubs) is doing -- help us!

Offered 21 local guys last year. -- and got 1. This is one reason to fire him...has been a major fail. I thought recruiting was about closing not offering.

We are building it the right way --

70 freshman or sophomore on roster -- I mean I'm not sure that is terribly different from other programs. That's 3 classes with red shirts. I just don't know that there is a ton of talent in that group.

11-22-2016 01:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Tuberville Press Conference Quotes
(11-22-2016 01:56 PM)50Cent Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/TomGroeschenQuotes

He didn't come here to move on to the pros or another coaching job. -- who would take him??!! Please?!!

Offered 21 local guys last year. -- and got 1. This is one reason to fire him...has been a major fail. I thought recruiting was about closing not offering.

70 freshman or sophomore on roster -- I mean I'm not sure that is terribly different from other programs. That's 3 classes with red shirts. I just don't know that there is a ton of talent in that group.

somebody needs to show tubs the speech from glengarry ross; abc--- always be closing.

11-22-2016 01:59 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I could understand the youth argument but there simply has been no improvement with this group. If anything the second half of the season has demonstrated regression, a lack of toughness and a team that is not motivated to play for its coaches. As the head coach that falls on TT.

11-22-2016 02:24 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(11-22-2016 01:59 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  somebody needs to show tubs the speech from glengarry ross; abc--- always be closing.

Clifton...you found it. The single most important step that Ono and the BOT forgot when it came to getting in the Big12. Instead of millions of dollars in added TV revenue, ticket sales, merchandising, and alums/fan donations, UC got the world's largest Golden Corral for $85M. Pitt, WVU, UofL got the gold watch, and UC didn't even get the steak knives. Which would have at least come in handy at the Nippert buffet.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2016 03:25 PM by Ragpicker.)
11-22-2016 02:54 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Quote:Offered 21 local guys last year. -- and got 1. This is one reason to fire him...has been a major fail. I thought recruiting was about closing not offering.

I'm not gonna waste time digging up past quotes, but Tommy Cadaverville has made it known that to have a successful program you have to recruit effectively to high schools nearest your campus in addition to nationally. He has failed miserably on the local circuit and it has to do with his inability to build strong relationships with local (Ohio) high schools. Case in point:

Quote:Upon Tuberville's arrival, controversy arose from allegations that the new Cincinnati staff wouldn't honor the commitments of any recruits in the 2013 class that had been landed by Jones' staff. Specifically, quarterback Kyle Kempt of powerhouse Massillon Washington. As detailed by Friday Night Ohio, head coach Jason Hall stated that Kempt assumed he'd follow Jones to Tennessee, having actually committed to UC over the Volunteers earlier in the season. When Tennessee offered another quarterback, Hall alleges that Kempt wasn't allowed to "fall back" on his commitment to Cincinnati, and because of that, Tuberville's staff would not be welcomed at Washington High School.

Hall did not respond to multiple interview requests. Tuberville cited NCAA recruiting guidelines in not commenting specifically about Kempt and Washington High.

Of the 15 players committed under Jones, four signed with Cincinnati. Kempt ultimately signed with Oregon State, but some believe that regardless of the specific timeline of events, Tuberville has damage to undo.

"He burned a lot of bridges quickly," said Josh Helmholdt, Rivals' midwest recruiting analyst. "The toughest part of recruiting isn't so much the end but the beginning, the initial building of relationships. It's about getting respect from the high school programs and starting the process off right. When a new head coach comes in, in some ways that program speaks for itself, and they're able to build upon that with the area high school coaches. There was a strong foundation laid by Kelly and Jones, and now he's going to have to play catch-up to get to where they used to be."
Recruiting Fail

Of course, I can only assume that many local high school coaches and recruits have seen the same downward trajectory of the program and his lame duck coaching style that we have seen. That in of itself will negatively impact your ability to recruit. Long story short, chalk this up to reason #39 to fire Invisi-Coach.

11-22-2016 08:57 PM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

You know the worst thing is that UC should be doing better than ever before with local recruits. UC has NEVER been a better school to go to. When many of us went to school there it was a run down commuter school. Now it's an award winning campus with great on campus living. It has never been higher regarded academically. And the facilities are far beyond what we ever thought we could have. No one should know this more than locals.

On a related note I spoke to someone at a bar that had spoken with a local high school coach that had previously to Tuberville sent some players to UC. He said this coach said that Tubs was an A-hole. I hate rumor spreading but that would seem to fit with record low numbers of local players at a time when UC has never had more to offer.

11-22-2016 09:13 PM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
We pay him to recruit not offer. Simply delusional.

11-23-2016 08:48 AM
Advertisement

uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
Sigh, making me stick up for TT.....People always point to that example, but Massillon is in no way local. If he signed a kid from 3.5-4 hours away we would give him 0 credit for "signing a local kid" so it's not very fair to use that as why he's bad locally.

Pretty much every one of the Indiana kids he's been recruiting are closer than Massillon.

11-23-2016 08:59 AM
vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
(11-23-2016 08:59 AM)uccheese Wrote:  Sigh, making me stick up for TT.....People always point to that example, but Massillon is in no way local. If he signed a kid from 3.5-4 hours away we would give him 0 credit for "signing a local kid" so it's not very fair to use that as why he's bad locally.

Pretty much every one of the Indiana kids he's been recruiting are closer than Massillon.

You make a fair point, but UC will not achieve consistent long-term success unless non-5* kids from Massillon, Youngstown, Cleveland, Akron and Canton see UC as a viable alternative to Ohio $tate rather than opting for Pitt, WVU, Louisville and Toledo.

11-23-2016 12:15 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(11-23-2016 12:15 PM)vabearcat Wrote:  
(11-23-2016 08:59 AM)uccheese Wrote:  Sigh, making me stick up for TT.....People always point to that example, but Massillon is in no way local. If he signed a kid from 3.5-4 hours away we would give him 0 credit for "signing a local kid" so it's not very fair to use that as why he's bad locally.

You make a fair point, but UC will not achieve consistent long-term success unless non-5* kids from Massillon, Youngstown, Cleveland, Akron and Canton see UC as a viable alternative to Ohio $tate rather than opting for Pitt, WVU, Louisville and Toledo.

Yep. Much of our success from 2007-2012 was due to the likes of Haruki Nakamura (Cleveland), Adam Hoppel and Derek Wolfe (Lisbon), Anthony Hoke (Warren), Curtis Smith (Youngstown), (Zach Collaros (Steubenville), DJ Woods (Strongsville), Travis and Jason Kelce (Cleveland), etc. UC needs NEO recruits to be both successful and spread our brand throughout the state of Ohio.

11-23-2016 12:54 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(11-22-2016 01:56 PM)50Cent Wrote:  https://mobile.twitter.com/TomGroeschenQuotes

Surprised he doesn't want to be the next President of the University...

11-23-2016 01:06 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-23-2016 01:06 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Surprised he doesn't want to be the next President of the University...

Maybe we should try that on an "interim" basis. Of course, he would have to give up his coaching job.

11-23-2016 01:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(11-22-2016 02:24 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I could understand the youth argument but there simply has been no improvement with this group. If anything the second half of the season has demonstrated regression, a lack of toughness and a team that is not motivated to play for its coaches. As the head coach that falls on TT.

I think there may be some merit to the youth argument, but it's a tough sell when you try to identify impact players. This senior class may not be big and certainly didn't have great results this year as a team, but it did include most of our proven backbone and impact players: Kiel at times, Bond, Cole, Dowdy, Edwards, Tion, Kinard, Leahy, Pace, Tyson, Wilson, Ray, Sione...

Meanwhile, very few of those FR/SO guys have shown on the field that they have a high likelihood of being AAC studs. Our returning QBs are all unproven. Boone is back if healthy, but he's a SR and the rest of the RBs are unproven. I'd count Lewis as a young impact guy, but he's probably the only one who's proven it among the WR and TE. Stoudt could be a standout OL down the line. The DL has a few: Broughton, Mouhon, Copeland and Ashworth have the makings of a very strong group before they are gone. I'm not sure any young LBs have shown anything we can count on except maybe Perry Young. DBs like Gilbert and Thomas are young guys who now have experience, but I'm not sure I see any standouts there yet.

So there's a few, but it's not like a lot of those 70 FR and SO have shown much on the field yet where one can confidently say better days are soon ahead.

11-23-2016 02:01 PM
Advertisement

bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(11-23-2016 01:06 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

Surprised he doesn't want to be the next President of the University...

Maybe he can be a provost at Youngstown State.

11-23-2016 02:12 PM
crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-23-2016 02:01 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(11-22-2016 02:24 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I could understand the youth argument but there simply has been no improvement with this group. If anything the second half of the season has demonstrated regression, a lack of toughness and a team that is not motivated to play for its coaches. As the head coach that falls on TT.

I think there may be some merit to the youth argument, but it's a tough sell when you try to identify impact players. This senior class may not be big and certainly didn't have great results this year as a team, but it did include most of our proven backbone and impact players: Kiel at times, Bond, Cole, Dowdy, Edwards, Tion, Kinard, Leahy, Pace, Tyson, Wilson, Ray, Sione...

Meanwhile, very few of those FR/SO guys have shown on the field that they have a high likelihood of being AAC studs. Our returning QBs are all unproven. Boone is back if healthy, but he's a SR and the rest of the RBs are unproven. I'd count Lewis as a young impact guy, but he's probably the only one who's proven it among the WR and TE. Stoudt could be a standout OL down the line. The DL has a few: Broughton, Mouhon, Copeland and Ashworth have the makings of a very strong group before they are gone. I'm not sure any young LBs have shown anything we can count on except maybe Perry Young. DBs like Gilbert and Thomas are young guys who now have experience, but I'm not sure I see any standouts there yet.

So there's a few, but it's not like a lot of those 70 FR and SO have shown much on the field yet where one can confidently say better days are soon ahead.
If what he's saying is accurate, he should have started his youth movement four years ago. If he had, the 2016 Bearcats might be a decent team.

Unfortunately, the trends indicate a much deeper issue is at play here. Annual turnover for coordinators and assistants, hiring unqualified assistants, lack of player development, not being able to outpace our AAC rivals in recruiting despite superior facilities. It's just a complete, across the board disaster.

11-23-2016 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.