Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Justin Jenifer
Bookmark and Share
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Justin Jenifer
I haven't seen a whole lot of talk about him on the board, so I thought he merited his own thread.

I have to say I am very pleased with his development in year 2. It looks like he's going to be our first guy off the bench and has performed better than the guy he is backing up IMO.

He has quick hands and a knack for getting in the passing lanes, forcing deflections and turnovers. On the offensive side of the ball, his shot selection has improved and his outside shot looks good. We all knew he could handle the ball and find the open man, and he has not disappointed in that regard. He seems to take care of the ball better than last year and is not taking unnecessary risks with his passes.

I would like to see him penetrate more and he still probably takes too many chances on defense, but overall I am thrilled to see him start growing into the player we all thought he would be.

11-21-2016 08:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
RE: Justin Jenifer
If he continues to improve as much a he has, he will be a damn impressive player by his senior year. Very impressed with how bothersome he has become on defense.

11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
He has the ability to make passes no one else can, the game'll move slower the more experience he gets, you add to that the fact he's staying in front of people on defense and seems to be a decent shooter, he's a solid pick up.
I also have to commend his commitment, he's transformed his body since last season. If him Tre Scott and Cumberland can continue to get better, this team could be downright scary come March.

11-21-2016 10:09 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(11-21-2016 10:09 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  He has the ability to make passes no one else can, the game'll move slower the more experience he gets, you add to that the fact he's staying in front of people on defense and seems to be a decent shooter, he's a solid pick up.
I also have to commend his commitment, he's transformed his body since last season. If him Tre Scott and Cumberland can continue to get better, this team could be downright scary come March.

Agreed. We have to get 15-20 minutes nightly from those 3 and be able to steal 10-15 minutes with Quadri or Brooks if our bigs are in foul trouble.

11-22-2016 01:16 AM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
(11-21-2016 10:09 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  He has the ability to make passes no one else can, the game'll move slower the more experience he gets, you add to that the fact he's staying in front of people on defense and seems to be a decent shooter, he's a solid pick up.

This is the most important part in my opinion. I was pretty hard on him last year mostly because if you are his height you had damn better be the quickest guy on the floor. That seems to be where he is at this year.

11-22-2016 06:33 AM
crex043 Offline
All American

Agree or disagree: this offense has its best shot when Jenifer is working the ball around the court and Caupain is playing off the ball.

I think it gives us an additional 5-10 seconds per possession (an eternity), puts the ball in the hands of someone who can move the ball around and move around the court himself, and opens up the offense.

11-22-2016 09:28 AM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(11-22-2016 09:28 AM)crex043 Wrote:  Agree or disagree: this offense has its best shot when Jenifer is working the ball around the court and Caupain is playing off the ball.

I think it gives us an additional 5-10 seconds per possession (an eternity), puts the ball in the hands of someone who can move the ball around and move around the court himself, and opens up the offense.

I am loathe to admit, I catch myself wondering how good they'll be with Cane Broom at the point next season. Especially if everyone comes back(other than Caupain and Johnson). Troy isn't a horrible point guard, but it's obvious where he's most comfortable and most effective.

11-22-2016 10:04 AM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2016 09:28 AM)crex043 Wrote:  Agree or disagree: this offense has its best shot when Jenifer is working the ball around the court and Caupain is playing off the ball.

Agree. I'd start him and have Caupain at the two guard position. I still like Troy handling the ball in the final minutes, milking the clock and taking it strong to the hoop. But having another ball handler will make a big difference. My only question would be if Justin has the stamina at this stage of his career to play an entire game. He is easily the most improved player so far this season and I'll give props to him and our coaching staff for that.

11-22-2016 10:16 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Let's take a guy who was voted first team all conference last year playing the most important position on the floor and move him to a position he's never played consistently. This despite him consistently being one of the top assist to turnover guys in the league. That's almost as silly as Tubs treatment of Kiel.

11-22-2016 10:23 AM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(11-22-2016 10:23 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Let's take a guy who was voted first team all conference last year playing the most important position on the floor and move him to a position he's never played consistently. This despite him consistently being one of the top assist to turnover guys in the league. That's almost as silly as Tubs treatment of Kiel.

Nobody is doubting his abilities but in all honesty, regardless of his assist numbers, the offense is often stagnant with him in. It's basically pass the ball around the perimeter for 25 seconds and some either goes ISO or jump shot. The kid has talent, is heady with the ball but he's not aggressive penetrating and when he does, he often gets stuck in the trees and has it blocked or throws a wild pass back out, that can either seem brilliant or retarded, depending on the outcome. His court vision isn't as good, his understanding of how to break down a defense(especially zone) isn't as good and he seems pretty damn comfortable off the ball to me.

Call it what you will, I think he's an even better 2 than he is a point guard.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2016 10:32 AM by Recluse1.)
11-22-2016 10:31 AM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

Look I'm glad JJ has improved but the best thing he's done is provide energy by pressuring the ball. I don't think he's capable of being a primary point guard at this point.

11-22-2016 10:52 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2016 10:23 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Let's take a guy who was voted first team all conference last year playing the most important position on the floor and move him to a position he's never played consistently. This despite him consistently being one of the top assist to turnover guys in the league. That's almost as silly as Tubs treatment of Kiel.

No. Not even close.

If there's anybody who could make the move and show no drop off it would be Troy. The offense undoubtedly flows better when JJ is at point.

Now that's not to say when it's a tie game with 2 minutes left, Troy isn't gonna be the one bringing the ball up the court. Definitely worth trying out.

11-22-2016 10:53 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(11-22-2016 10:52 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Look I'm glad JJ has improved but the best thing he's done is provide energy by pressuring the ball. I don't think he's capable of being a primary point guard at this point.

It'll be interesting to see how Jenifer is used next year, particularly given that Cane Broome will be on the roster. Broome appears to be more of a scorer, although I believe he was technically the point for Sacred Heart. My concern is that they're each on the short side, which will impact our perimeter defense significantly next year.

11-22-2016 11:01 AM
Advertisement

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(11-22-2016 10:52 AM)RealDeal Wrote:  Look I'm glad JJ has improved but the best thing he's done is provide energy by pressuring the ball. I don't think he's capable of being a primary point guard at this point.

I don't know that he is capable of being primary ball handler, I just know the offense tends to run better with Caupain off the ball. That may well have a lot to do with the emergence of Washington as our offense's primary focal point as well. In which case, it could swing back the other way. As I see it though, the past few seasons there has been a lot of stagnant half court basketball.

11-22-2016 11:28 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(11-22-2016 11:01 AM)geef Wrote:  

It'll be interesting to see how Jenifer is used next year, particularly given that Cane Broome will be on the roster. Broome appears to be more of a scorer, although I believe he was technically the point for Sacred Heart. My concern is that they're each on the short side, which will impact our perimeter defense significantly next year.

I don't think our perimeter defense will necessarily suffer. UConn seemed to do well with Napier and Boatright. They aren't going to be able to switch with bigs on screens like Troy and KJ can though.

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2016 02:41 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
11-22-2016 02:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.