Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Doeren done?
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Exclamation Is Doeren done?
Baring a MAJOR upset over UNC he will have won 8 conference games in 4 years. He did make 2 bowl games (1-1) but that was based on loading the OOC schedule with the likes of Troy and Presbyterian. He got rid of OC Matt Canada last year. Clearly that wasn't the problem. The program seems to be treading water at best. I think it is closer to going under.

I realize we are not a division or conference contender right now but he has had some talent. I do feel like he should be able to do better than 3 wins.
11-21-2016 05:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Is Doeren done?
With Miles, Strong, Schiano & some other up & comers available out there why not?
11-21-2016 05:14 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
RE: Is Doeren done?
(11-21-2016 05:14 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  With Miles, Strong, Schiano & some other up & comers available out there why not?

Lenville, you do not understand how NC State works. State is the cheapest, tightest with a dollar P-5 and has been since the end of the first World War. Notice I said first World War.

Our boosters give less per booster than anyone int eh ACC other than FSU. Our only billionaires hate athletics and the Board of Trustees is appointed by UNC-Ch folks and the NCSU BOT is scared to death of any hint of scandal. That's one of the byproducts of the Carolina Way that made it look like UNC was on the up and up when in fact they were cheating like hell like they always have (documentation back to the 30's).

But the problem is not UNC. The problem is NC State's cheapness rooted in a old textile mill or farming mentality where investments are made once a generation and the 20 years are spent patting ones self on the back for the investment. NC State folks are often lost in this false honor culture that says it's okay to lose as long as you were ethical, didn't cheat, and otherwise a good Christian. As much as I lament the Buinsess School taking over UNC and ruining many things at UNC-Ch, NC State's way of doing business is like a 1950's educational film from the Department of Commerce.

In short it's madness.

Then toss in a STEM curriculum, no home cooking support from the media or the police in Raleigh due to the proximity of Chapel Hill and Durham and our placement in the Atlantic and you have a real quandary.

I estimate we need to invest at least $100,000,000 to get to VT's level of play. That's not infrastructure - that's coaches, assistants not coaching, hey boys and hey girls, walking around money, influence peddling around the league office and with officials, etc., etc. NC State graduates are not putting that up because it violates their world view.

The current slump is rooted in the throat cuttings done to Valvano, and Sheridan in the early 90's. Recovery has been slow to non-existent. It's very similar to what Kirwan did to Maryland after Len Bias died.

I don't know if he comes back or not and I don't know that anyone actually cares. State may be on the verge of pulling a Duke in football - just taking in the revenue and making no real effort to win until the league expands or contracts and we don't have 3 top 15 games in our division.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 05:46 PM by lumberpack4.)
11-21-2016 05:42 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
The very first school in the nation to pay their football staff a cumulative salary of over ONE MILLION Dollars was NC State. Yep!, when Chucky Tomato came to NC State from Florida State, the Wuffies ponied up a huge amount to buy the very best football staff possible to go with prized recruit Philip Rivers. Rivers dad, Steve was made the head football coach at Wakefield High in Raleigh at the same time.
11-21-2016 08:27 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

Just my opinion but I would go after Les Miles. Here you would have a coach familiar with ALL SEC recruiting territories and who knows how to recruit. Someone who has coached in a big division of heavyweights somewhat like the Atlantic Division, and the job wouldn't be over his head. There is a lot of pressure on young coaches who get hired into the bigger conferences to show that they can compete as well as the product the put forth h on the field. I just think NCState goes after someone like Miles who still has a passion to coach would be an excellent hire and addition to the ACC carousel of coaches and someone who gives the Wolfpack credibility on the sidelines as well as in the home of recruits. Again just my opinion.
11-22-2016 07:55 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Is Doeren done?
(11-21-2016 05:42 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  
(11-21-2016 05:14 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  With Miles, Strong, Schiano & some other up & comers available out there why not?

Lenville, you do not understand how NC State works. State is the cheapest, tightest with a dollar P-5 and has been since the end of the first World War. Notice I said first World War.

Our boosters give less per booster than anyone int eh ACC other than FSU. Our only billionaires hate athletics and the Board of Trustees is appointed by UNC-Ch folks and the NCSU BOT is scared to death of any hint of scandal. That's one of the byproducts of the Carolina Way that made it look like UNC was on the up and up when in fact they were cheating like hell like they always have (documentation back to the 30's).

But the problem is not UNC. The problem is NC State's cheapness rooted in a old textile mill or farming mentality where investments are made once a generation and the 20 years are spent patting ones self on the back for the investment. NC State folks are often lost in this false honor culture that says it's okay to lose as long as you were ethical, didn't cheat, and otherwise a good Christian. As much as I lament the Buinsess School taking over UNC and ruining many things at UNC-Ch, NC State's way of doing business is like a 1950's educational film from the Department of Commerce.

In short it's madness.

Then toss in a STEM curriculum, no home cooking support from the media or the police in Raleigh due to the proximity of Chapel Hill and Durham and our placement in the Atlantic and you have a real quandary.

I estimate we need to invest at least $100,000,000 to get to VT's level of play. That's not infrastructure - that's coaches, assistants not coaching, hey boys and hey girls, walking around money, influence peddling around the league office and with officials, etc., etc. NC State graduates are not putting that up because it violates their world view.

The current slump is rooted in the throat cuttings done to Valvano, and Sheridan in the early 90's. Recovery has been slow to non-existent. It's very similar to what Kirwan did to Maryland after Len Bias died.

I don't know if he comes back or not and I don't know that anyone actually cares. State may be on the verge of pulling a Duke in football - just taking in the revenue and making no real effort to win until the league expands or contracts and we don't have 3 top 15 games in our division.

Cheap likely only takes Miles off of the list. How long has Schiano been sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring? Can a Wolf Pack chop wood? Strong is getting $10 million + from Texas minus whatever he gets from his new job. PJ Fleck? All 3 would be upgrades. How about a coordinator?
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2016 09:13 AM by Lenvillecards.)
11-22-2016 09:09 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Charlie Strong would be an interesting move for NC State. Money is irrelevant in year 1 because of his buyout. (Assuming he's unemployed next week).
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2016 09:18 AM by Hokie Mark.)
11-22-2016 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
They should absolutely fire him now. With Texas and LSU the only glamour jobs likely to open, NC State would never be higher on the pecking order for coaches.

Look at all the schools that are a bad season next year from possibly being open...

Notre Dame
Ole Miss
Miss St.
WVU
Auburn
Texas A&M
Arizona
Tennessee

Just off the top of my head. There are a LOT of schools with coaches on the hot seat this year that saved their jobs for one more year with an acceptable season. But those guys are all one mediocre season away from being fired, and some of those coaches are going to slip back and be sent packing if they go 6-6. And then there are a lot of guys that are probably a year too early to fire, because of the buyout or not.

There's legitimate talk about Les Miles to Purdue for God's sake.

This is about the best possible time for NC State to fire Doeren.
11-22-2016 01:16 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I think Charlie Strong or Les Miles would be a home-run hire for NC State.
11-22-2016 02:03 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(11-22-2016 02:03 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I think Charlie Strong or Les Miles would be a home-run hire for NC State.

I was thinking more along the lines of .......Charlie Weis!07-coffee3
11-22-2016 02:24 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(11-22-2016 02:24 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(11-22-2016 02:03 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I think Charlie Strong or Les Miles would be a home-run hire for NC State.

We are talking NCSU. Charley Molnar is more likely than that.
11-22-2016 02:41 PM
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

(11-22-2016 02:41 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(11-22-2016 02:24 PM)XLance Wrote:  

We are talking NCSU. Charley Molnar is more likely than that.

03-lmfao
11-22-2016 03:04 PM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
(11-22-2016 01:16 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  They should absolutely fire him now. With Texas and LSU the only glamour jobs likely to open, NC State would never be higher on the pecking order for coaches.

Look at all the schools that are a bad season next year from possibly being open...

Notre Dame
Ole Miss
Miss St.
WVU
Auburn
Texas A&M
Arizona
Tennessee

Just off the top of my head. There are a LOT of schools with coaches on the hot seat this year that saved their jobs for one more year with an acceptable season. But those guys are all one mediocre season away from being fired, and some of those coaches are going to slip back and be sent packing if they go 6-6. And then there are a lot of guys that are probably a year too early to fire, because of the buyout or not.

ND
Arizona
Tennessee

Everyone else will keep their jobs.
11-22-2016 03:14 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
(11-22-2016 03:14 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  
(11-22-2016 01:16 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  They should absolutely fire him now. With Texas and LSU the only glamour jobs likely to open, NC State would never be higher on the pecking order for coaches.

Notre Dame
Ole Miss
Miss St.
WVU
Auburn
Texas A&M
Arizona
Tennessee

ND
Arizona
Tennessee

Everyone else will keep their jobs.

I think all those on the list will keep their jobs this year. Throw Texas Tech on the list as well, and Kentucky.

That's 10 schools, any of which are going to fire their coach if he backslides, and I think it's likely at least half open up. Plus whatever surprises you might see.

It's unlikely NC State will ever have more of a buyer's market than they have right now to get a coach a good full level in the pecking order above what they might get next year.
11-22-2016 03:25 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Considering his record at UT, Strong will be lucky to get $1mil/year.

At 63, I can't imaging Miles being too anxious to get involved in coaching. Especially at a school where he would basically be starting from scratch. I seem him taking a part time broadcasting gig and playing a lot of golf.

One name I thought of is Eliah Drinkwitz. Current OC and former Boise State OC. No HC experience but he has put together some impressive offenses at Boise.
11-22-2016 06:19 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Is Doeren done?
Strong would do well at NC State. He would be able to do what he's good at, coaching. At Texas the HC has to entertain the boosters & hold press conferences which doesn't leave enough time for coaching. His style would fit in the ACC as well, ball control & defense. It can be boring to watch at times but it wins. He would improve the Packs recruiting as well.
11-22-2016 06:53 PM
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
If I had to handicap this thing, I say Doreen is retained for another year (win or lose on Saturday).

If a coaching search does commence, remove Miles and Strong from the list. They are not coming. State won't pay enough to cover Miles' staff. Strong needs a year away to get over Texas.

If a search happens, I would put money on NC State funding it's next "Sheridan" before I'd put money on a "sexy" hire.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
11-22-2016 08:56 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Jones is safe at Tennessee, I think. He just won the "Championship of Life" and you can't fire a guy coming off a title like that.
11-22-2016 10:42 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(11-22-2016 08:56 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  If I had to handicap this thing, I say Doreen is retained for another year (win or lose on Saturday).

If a coaching search does commence, remove Miles and Strong from the list. They are not coming. State won't pay enough to cover Miles' staff. Strong needs a year away to get over Texas.

If a search happens, I would put money on NC State funding it's next "Sheridan" before I'd put money on a "sexy" hire.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Someone who knows the boosters and the school 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 11-23-2016 08:00 AM by lumberpack4.)
11-23-2016 08:00 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(11-21-2016 08:27 PM)XLance Wrote:  The very first school in the nation to pay their football staff a cumulative salary of over ONE MILLION Dollars was NC State. Yep!, when Chucky Tomato came to NC State from Florida State, the Wuffies ponied up a huge amount to buy the very best football staff possible to go with prized recruit Philip Rivers. Rivers dad, Steve was made the head football coach at Wakefield High in Raleigh at the same time.

"Chucky Tomato" 03-lmfao

Didn't know he had that nickname.

Cheers,
Neil
11-23-2016 03:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.