Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

RPI will be a struggle this season
Bookmark and Share
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RPI will be a struggle this season
I hate RPI. It's a glorified SOS metric but the NCAA gives it merit and it matters, particularly to a team like Memphis if we have any shot for an at-large bid.

Our conference is doing itself no favors right now in the crucial OOC schedule.

Our opponents are 0-9 right now, but none of their losses are particularly bad. Most of those so far will probably be good teams. But our opponents' winning percentage matters twice as much as the winning percentage of those teams' opponents and 0-9 is dreadful.

Central Florida - No losses, opponents are 7-4.
Houston - No losses, lone opponent is MEAC.
Southern Methodist - Losses v. Gardner-Webb, Eastern Michigan (could contend for MAC), and Michigan. Win v. Pitt.
East Carolina - Loss v. Charlotte. Play five games v. SWAC/MEAC opponents.
Cincinnati - Loss v. Rhode Island, win v. Penn State. Opponents are 8-9.
South Florida - Loss v. Elon, opponents are 3-5.
Temple - Losses v. New Hampshire and UMass. Opponents are 6-8.
Tulsa - Losses v. Jacksonville State and Wichita State.
UConn - Losses v. Wagner and Northeastern. Opponents are 4-6.
Tulane - Losses v. North Carolina, Oklahoma, Arizona State, and Missouri. Opponents are 13-6.
11-20-2016 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
RE: RPI will be a struggle this season
hmmm, i dont think SMU is right.
11-21-2016 08:45 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(11-20-2016 08:12 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  I hate RPI. It's a glorified SOS metric but the NCAA gives it merit and it matters, particularly to a team like Memphis if we have any shot for an at-large bid.

Our opponents are 0-9 right now, but none of their losses are particularly bad. Most of those so far will probably be good teams. But our opponents' winning percentage matters twice as much as the winning percentage of those teams' opponents and 0-9 is dreadful.

Southern Methodist - Losses v. Gardner-Webb, Eastern Michigan (could contend for MAC), and Michigan. Win v. Pitt.
Tulane - Losses v. North Carolina, Oklahoma, Arizona State, and Missouri. Opponents are 13-6.

Why is Tulane a buy game?
11-21-2016 09:47 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

(11-21-2016 08:45 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  hmmm, i dont think SMU is right.

SMU is 3-1, only loss is Michigan. Odd that Houston has only played 1 game.
11-21-2016 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
It is what it is. Rpi is usually spot on by March
11-21-2016 10:30 AM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(11-20-2016 08:12 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  I hate RPI. It's a glorified SOS metric but the NCAA gives it merit and it matters, particularly to a team like Memphis if we have any shot for an at-large bid.

At least McNeese has 1 win. Very poor shooting, poor shooting defense and cannot rebound if the other team was sitting on the bench.

But they do NOT turn the ball over.
11-21-2016 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Briskbas Offline
Heisman

Just got to win games. Can't help who we play at this point. Our schedule is going to be our schedule. But if you win your RPI goes up (usually) and it doesn't matter who you beat. Lay off losing to sub 100 teams (and definitely the sub 150 and sub 200 teams), get the lions share of wins against 100 to 50, and steal a top 50 win (or two) and maybe this team can lose in the first round of the NCAA as a 10 or 11 seed.

They've looked better I guess, but against some real slaw. We'll see what they look like against legitimate competition starting this weekend, with UAB and Ole Miss in the next couple of weeks serving as barometers of what to expect the from middle of the road type teams we've had problems with the past couple of years that we're going to have to get wins against if we have any hope of getting to the NCAA's (or the NIT for that matter). Come out of the UAB game with one loss and we'll have definite reason for optimism. Three or more and it's going to be a long season.
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2016 11:49 AM by Briskbas.)
11-21-2016 11:47 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-21-2016 11:47 AM)Briskbas Wrote:  Just got to win games. Can't help who we play at this point. Our schedule is going to be our schedule. But if you win your RPI goes up (usually) and it doesn't matter who you beat. Lay off losing to sub 100 teams (and definitely the sub 150 and sub 200 teams), get the lions share of wins against 100 to 50, and steal a top 50 win (or two) and maybe this team can lose in the first round of the NCAA as a 10 or 11 seed.

They've looked better I guess, but against some real slaw. We'll see what they look like against legitimate competition starting this weekend, with UAB and Ole Miss in the next couple of weeks serving as barometers of what to expect the from middle of the road type teams we've had problems with the past couple of years that we're going to have to get wins against if we have any hope of getting to the NCAA's (or the NIT for that matter). Come out of the UAB game with one loss and we'll have definite reason for optimism. Three or more and it's going to be a long season.

This
11-21-2016 11:51 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

It is going to be bad. I think the NCAA Selection Committee has devalued the RPI for at-large selection - but has increased it's value when it comes to seeding. For selection itself, I think they use a variety of metrics along with the ole eye-test. So we rack up some wins, we can still get the at large, but it might be a 12 seed.
11-22-2016 02:07 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Just an FYI, UNH was picked 2nd (3 first place votes) in the America East preseason poll. They lost 1 of their top 8 players (6 are currently active with 1 suspended). UMass has a lot of talent, but can't really play great defense. I think they'll end up being a lot better in the A10 than people think simply because they can outscore basically everyone.

We lost 5 of our top 8 players from last year (Brown and Lowe injured, Bond, Decosey, Coleman graduated). Right now, we're relying on 3 true freshmen (29.5 mpg, 27 mpg and 10.5 mpg), and two true sophomores who both played under 12 mpg last year (35 mpg and 16.3 mpg)

It's going to take some time, but I think we definitely have some young talent. I think we can end up being decent at some point this season once we get some team chemistry.
11-22-2016 05:35 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Tulane not afraid to play the BIG BOYS, will help with recruiting. We play ooc cupcakes
11-22-2016 06:06 PM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-22-2016 06:06 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Tulane not afraid to play the BIG BOYS, will help with recruiting. We play ooc cupcakes

Riiiiight
11-22-2016 06:30 PM
2tigers Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U of M and LSU
(11-22-2016 06:30 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(11-22-2016 06:06 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Tulane not afraid to play the BIG BOYS, will help with recruiting. We play ooc cupcakes

Riiiiight

I would say it is just the opposite. The BIG BOYS are not afraid to play Tulane.
11-22-2016 06:38 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(11-21-2016 11:47 AM)Briskbas Wrote:  Just got to win games. Can't help who we play at this point. Our schedule is going to be our schedule. But if you win your RPI goes up (usually) and it doesn't matter who you beat. Lay off losing to sub 100 teams (and definitely the sub 150 and sub 200 teams), get the lions share of wins against 100 to 50, and steal a top 50 win (or two) and maybe this team can lose in the first round of the NCAA as a 10 or 11 seed.

Good stuff.
11-22-2016 06:38 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Hopefully the Big Boys aren't afraid to play us, but we don't know do we. Enjoy the cupcakes Dude while u sit in a half full arena
11-22-2016 06:43 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-22-2016 06:43 PM)memphisike Wrote:  Hopefully the Big Boys aren't afraid to play us, but we don't know do we. Enjoy the cupcakes Dude while u sit in a half full arena

As one of the MTO bullies likes to challenge - how many games have you been to? I would definitely like to upgrade the schedule, but it is what it is right now. Most of this is Pastner hangover. Give it time. But don't hold out your attendance waiting on P5 teams to come in here.
11-22-2016 07:52 PM
Advertisement

Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
And our brilliant AD schedules one of the worst NC schedule of P6 league. At least throw in a below 100 to generate interest early. And don't say you can't predict RPIs. Anyone could have deduced these 4 teams would be 200 plus.

My concern is we are only untested school in Emarald Coast tourney.
11-23-2016 12:00 AM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(11-23-2016 12:00 AM)Penny Lane Wrote:  And our brilliant AD schedules one of the worst NC schedule of P6 league. At least throw in a below 100 to generate interest early. And don't say you can't predict RPIs. Anyone could have deduced these 4 teams would be 200 plus.

Blame the real culprit. These things are worked a couple of years (or more) in advance. The AD doesn't work in a vacuum on this - he has the input of the coach on teams to look into for future schedules. And just who was our coach the last couple of years?

The length you will go to try and blame Bowen for anything is truly amazing. Give it a rest....
11-23-2016 12:36 AM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
Stop whining and come out and support Memphis.

Sometimes people overthink things.
11-23-2016 10:43 AM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(11-23-2016 12:00 AM)Penny Lane Wrote:  And our brilliant AD schedules one of the worst NC schedule of P6 league. At least throw in a below 100 to generate interest early. And don't say you can't predict RPIs. Anyone could have deduced these 4 teams would be 200 plus.

Yeah Providence played Ohio State and a bunch of mediocre schools

Our guys have already seen very high level athletes this year as well.
11-23-2016 10:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.