Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G5 Head Coach Hiring Model
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
It appears that the AAC may have a few open coaching jobs this year (Houston and SMU).

I am convinced that the best model for those of us in G5 is to hire proven head coaches that are on their second or third head coaching job, and view it as their last. I realize that the AAC has done an excellent job of hiring young coaches such as Herman, Rhule, Morris, Taggart, and Montgomery, while the jury is still out on Diaco. Furthermore, I realize that the re-tread model seen in Cincinnati does not appear to be working out.

However, when programs outside of the Power Five hire good young coaches, those coaches leave very soon after raising the level of the program. While this is obviously positive, it is hard to keep sustained success.

What are your thoughts?
11-20-2016 07:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
(11-20-2016 07:41 PM)fanhood Wrote:  It appears that the AAC may have a few open coaching jobs this year (Houston and SMU).

I am convinced that the best model for those of us in G5 is to hire proven head coaches that are on their second or third head coaching job, and view it as their last. I realize that the AAC has done an excellent job of hiring young coaches such as Herman, Rhule, Morris, Taggart, and Montgomery, while the jury is still out on Diaco. Furthermore, I realize that the re-tread model seen in Cincinnati does not appear to be working out.

However, when programs outside of the Power Five hire good young coaches, those coaches leave very soon after raising the level of the program. While this is obviously positive, it is hard to keep sustained success.

What are your thoughts?

Usually if they are on their second or third job its because they are not that great. Its hard to find a coach that is good in that stage of coaching.
11-20-2016 07:44 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
RE: G5 Head Coach Hiring Model
I like the "up and coming coordinator" route more than I like the "proven HC mired in controversy" route a la Briles.
(This post was last modified: 11-20-2016 07:46 PM by Insane_Baboon.)
11-20-2016 07:45 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Much better to be viewed as a great stepping stone than a dead end. If Houston loses Herman they'll have quality candidates beating down their door because Houston has proved it's a place you can win big at and get big time jobs from. Even if it means revolving door that's still a very good thing, and really all jobs aside from the very very top are "stepping stones" to something else.
11-20-2016 07:46 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-20-2016 07:46 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Much better to be viewed as a great stepping stone than a dead end. If Houston loses Herman they'll have quality candidates beating down their door because Houston has proved it's a place you can win big at and get big time jobs from. Even if it means revolving door that's still a very good thing, and really all jobs aside from the very very top are "stepping stones" to something else.

You just have to hope that enough of them build the program to the point you become a "smaller stone".
11-20-2016 07:48 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
(11-20-2016 07:48 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-20-2016 07:46 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  Much better to be viewed as a great stepping stone than a dead end. If Houston loses Herman they'll have quality candidates beating down their door because Houston has proved it's a place you can win big at and get big time jobs from. Even if it means revolving door that's still a very good thing, and really all jobs aside from the very very top are "stepping stones" to something else.

You just have to hope that enough of them build the program to the point you become a "smaller stone".

That's pretty much what happened to Virginia Tech under Beamer. We're still a stepping stone for bigger programs, but probably not for the mid-tier P5 anymore.
11-20-2016 07:49 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

And Houston has built themselves to that point. As a coach now you don't leave Houston unless you get a truly elite job offer. Herman told South Carolina to pound sand and rightfully so. He would probably tell 95% of colleges in the country to pound sand if they call him.
11-20-2016 07:51 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-20-2016 07:51 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

And Houston has built themselves to that point. As a coach now you don't leave Houston unless you get a truly elite job offer. Herman told South Carolina to pound sand and rightfully so. He would probably tell 95% of colleges in the country to pound sand if they call him.

Ya thats the one bright spot im happy about in all this.
11-20-2016 07:52 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(11-20-2016 07:41 PM)fanhood Wrote:  It appears that the AAC may have a few open coaching jobs this year (Houston and SMU).

What are your thoughts?

My thought is you left out Norvell, and we're better off with those guys than with guys like Tuberville. UC did well 3 coaches in a row, just got a lemon this time. Sorta like UK with Kragthorpe.
11-20-2016 08:01 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple

What are your thoughts?

The jury is not out on Diaco. They want hin tarred and feathered. The pitchfork crowd is pretty much forming outside the castle gates as we speak.

I think you need a coach who can recruit your footprint, an up an comer who builds relationships with HSs for pipelines. Tubberville is an example of a per-retirement coast, though Solich has done an admirable job at Ohio. Fire and drive are important qualities.

11-20-2016 08:13 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Much better to have P5's sniffing around trying to steal your coach than the alternative. At least you know your program is heading in the right direction.

The key is to build the program to the point that it is a great platform for a young up and comer. Virtually everyone is a "stepping stone" program to an extent. There are only a handful of programs that are true "destination" jobs. Those are the only programs that don't have to worry about having their coaches stolen.
11-20-2016 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-20-2016 08:15 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Much better to have P5's sniffing around trying to steal your coach than the alternative. At least you know your program is heading in the right direction.

The key is to build the program to the point that it is a great platform for a young up and comer. Virtually everyone is a "stepping stone" program to an extent. There are only a handful of programs that are true "destination" jobs. Those are the only programs that don't have to worry about having their coaches stolen.

If only we could be that job.
11-20-2016 08:17 PM
USNA9t8 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Navy

What are your thoughts?

This isn't the Conventional Wisdom in football, but you may be better off by being unique and promoting from within. Coach Ken has been with us (Navy) for 8 years now and has turned down a serious offer from BYU.

Still, my guesses as to why has he stayed so long:
1) He seems to believe in the unique mission of USNA.
2) He truly loves the players (more than just coach-speak) he coaches.
3) We run a unique offense, and that limits the numbers of suitors.
4) We promoted from within, maximizing the likelihood of a good and long-term match.
11-20-2016 08:32 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

What are your thoughts?

So a Skip Holtz, that was always looking for somewhere to skip too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
11-20-2016 09:29 PM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

(11-20-2016 08:13 PM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  

What are your thoughts?

The jury is not out on Diaco. They want hin tarred and feathered. The pitchfork crowd is pretty much forming outside the castle gates as we speak.

I think you need a coach who can recruit your footprint, an up an comer who builds relationships with HSs for pipelines. Tubberville is an example of a per-retirement coast, though Solich has done an admirable job at Ohio. Fire and drive are important qualities.

Which is why I like Mo for ECU. NFL player and coach who was also an ACC player and coach. He has the background and connections, just needs the talent and a new ST coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
11-20-2016 09:32 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I wonder about the route of taking a successful FCS/D2 HC.
11-20-2016 09:43 PM
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-20-2016 09:43 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I wonder about the route of taking a successful FCS/D2 HC.

Isn't that How Tulane's coach rose through the ranks?
11-20-2016 09:47 PM
USNA9t8 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-20-2016 09:47 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-20-2016 09:43 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I wonder about the route of taking a successful FCS/D2 HC.

That's where both Jim Tressel and Paul Johnson came from.
11-20-2016 09:52 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-20-2016 09:52 PM)USNA9t8 Wrote:  

I don't really follow FCS football who is currently the hottest FCS coach?
11-20-2016 09:53 PM
USNA9t8 Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-20-2016 09:53 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-20-2016 09:52 PM)USNA9t8 Wrote:  

I don't really follow FCS football who is currently the hottest FCS coach?
ND State's coach should be high on anyone/everyone's list. How many P5 teams have they beaten in the last few years?
11-20-2016 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.