Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just 7% of UC football scholarship players are from Greater Cincinnati?
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Just 7% of UC football scholarship players are from Greater Cincinnati?
https://t.co/1looEYFdMN

Good blog piece by Lance today discussing an issue we have been debating for years on UC message boards. After discussing the issue with some local coaches, here are some issues UC faces:

1. Area players wanting to "get away" from home. Players more inclined to stay home in AAC cities like Houston and Memphis.
2. A UC coaching staff that focuses more on the South and other areas of the country.
3. Tension/hard feelings from area coaches because of the lack of attention paid to area schools. "They don't seem to care about Cincinnati. They don't even come around," said one area coach.
4. Tuberville not invested in communities like previous UC coaches were. "Brian Kelly would speak at places like Purcell Marian and Roger Bacon and he knew about those schools and about those communities," said one area high school football representative.
5. Tough to recruit to the American Athletic Conference
6. Lack of local ties on the current coaching staff
7. UC struggles to find "sweet spot" of talent level between Big 10 quality players and MAC quality players.

11-18-2016 01:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
RE: Just 7% of UC football scholarship players are from Greater Cincinnati?
It's amazing how it's taken 4 years for the local media to catch on to this hot mess. Better late than never. And Tubby's staff has actually been better about local outreach this year out of absolute necessity with Gran, Hinshaw and Clinkscale heading to UK. We have never had a staff that expended less energy on programs in this region.

And yep, still nobody on the recruiting staff who has any friggin ties to the region. What a dunce.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2016 01:20 PM by rath v2.0.)
11-18-2016 01:17 PM
AeroCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
It's going to take years to rebuild those relationships...

Who wouldn't want to play in their hometown so their friends and family can come see them play?

11-18-2016 01:17 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
It's simply not acceptable.

11-18-2016 01:26 PM
AeroCat Offline
1st String

Remember Tubby pulling the scholarship from the kid in Northern Ohio? 03-pissed

11-18-2016 01:27 PM
Nobones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Hell. The coaches could just come here and ask a few people. Guys like Marcus and Clifton. Those guys go to enough high school games to know who they should go after and try and get. Plus hasn't he said he would go up against any team on the recruiting trail. Why not locally too. Costs less also.

11-18-2016 01:32 PM
Advertisement

AeroCat Offline
1st String

Here it is:
LINK

Quote:If Tommy Tuberville's abrupt, overnight exit from Texas Tech last month left some Red Raider recruits feeling a little chilly, his first few weeks on the job at Cincinnati have left Bearcat targets feeling like they've been abandoned in an approaching blizzard. With less than a month to go before national signing day on Feb. 6, multiple prospects who verbally committed to Tuberville's predecessor at Cincy, Butch Jones, have accused Tuberville of quietly crossing their names off the list without contacting them, leaving the players to scramble for last-minute offers.

First up: Demetrius Monday, a three-star cornerback from Fairburn, Ga., who committed to Cincinnati last summer, and told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday that he's back on the market after failing to hear from Tuberville – who accepted the Cincinnati on Dec. 8, less than 48 hours after Jones left for the top job at Tennessee – for a solid month. When Monday's family finally contacted the university this week, according to his father, they were told to "look other places":

"I think it's messed up," his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. "You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.
"Now we're left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. [Demetrius] had other scholarship offers but he hasn't talked to those coaches in six months … since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25. It's really disappointing."
[…]
"They told us to ‘look other places,'" Monday said. "I'm in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news. The thing is, we've talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing, that they haven't heard from the staff. Basically [Tuberville] isn't calling anybody, he's trying to get the kids to de-commit on their own.

"It's a bad situation."

Next up: Jaleel Canty, a three-star "athlete" from Lansing, Mich., who also committed to Cincinnati last July, and also told the AJC he had to find out he'd been dumped the hard way. After a month with no news, he called the football offices on Thursday.

"They said they were bringing in their own guys, so all the guys that are committed are out luck," Canty said. "It's messed up. I've been committed to Cincinnati since July, and I kind of cut off communication with other schools. I don't understand why [Tuberville] couldn't tell us a month ago. We're less than a month away from signing day now. And I don't understand why we had to call them. Why couldn't they call us and tell us a month ago? It's really disappointing."

Last week, the head coach of nearby Massillon-Washington High, Jason Hall, who told a local paper last week that Tuberville would be effectively banned from recruiting Massillon players after he reportedly pulled a scholarship offer from quarterback Kyle Kempt. In Ohio, that's no trifling matter: Since Hall arrived in 2008, Washington has produced six FBS signees, including current Ohio State starter Devin Smith, and is expected to add three moreto that list this year, including Kempt.

"It was an ugly situation," said Hall, who also serves as the school's athletic director. "I think they thought [Kempt] was going to go to Tennessee with Butch Jones and they offered another quarterback. But that wasn't the case. Cincinnati will not be allowed back in Massillon on our campus as long as Jason Hall is in Massillon."

A source on Tuberville's staff told CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman that every committed recruit was contacted by a Cincinnati staffer after the coaching change to find out where each recruit stood in the process. According to the source, the new staff plans to honor commitments from those who said they were still committed to Cincinnati, but several recruits said they were still looking at other schools.

Even without Tuberville's side of the story – NCAA rules prohibit coaches from publicly acknowledging individual recruits before they've signed letters of intent – the language in those accounts is damning enough. A player finds the situation "disappointing." A local coach thinks it's "ugly." A parent just calls it "bad." Among his core constituencies on the recruiting trail, Tuberville is off to an 0-for-3 start.

Now, we get to see how he finishes. According 247Sports, Cincinnati currently boasts just 12 verbal commitments for the 2013 class, not including a pair of early enrollees from Copiah-Lincoln (Miss.) Community College who are already on campus. (Schools may sign up to 25 scholarship players in a given year, although they're also restricted by an 85-man cap for the roster as a whole.) For the moment, that group still includes Jaleel Canty, which reflects the uncertainty and flux of the class in the home stretch. Barring a few surprises between now and signing day, Tuberville may find himself facing a few questions he doesn't necessarily want to answer.

11-18-2016 01:33 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

Just two hours north is a high school conference that on average wins two of Ohio's seven state championships each year. Kids from there are currently at Tennessee, Pittsburgh and most of the MAC universities. They generally all have high grades and work out better for their colleges than there ratings would indicate, because they are disciplined and know how to win. Most of the coaches at those schools could coach circles around much of the UC staff.

UC has zero players from there on the roster. None since Eric Lefeld (who worked out pretty darn well for UC).

I don't think a coach from UC has even come sniffing in the area all these years. Ohio State sure stops in all the time with various assistants. Butch Jones sends people now that he is at Tennessee. Pitt seems to always be around. Where is UC?

11-18-2016 01:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(11-18-2016 01:27 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  Remember Tubby pulling the scholarship from the kid in Northern Ohio? 03-pissed

Kyle Kempt? IIRC, he never pulled the offer. After Butch Jones, who originally offered him, left for Tennessee, Kempt started looking around so Tuberville offered Brent Stockstill as a backup in case Kempt decommitted. Kempt and his head coach Jason Hall took it the wrong way and officially decommitted as a result.

Regardless, the total lack of awareness from this staff that Cincinnati-area kids fueled UC football success in the last decade is mind boggling.

11-18-2016 01:51 PM
Nobones Offline
1st String

Right Bruce with the amount of posters on this site. You could have a list of players in the tri-state area that they could try and go after.

11-18-2016 01:53 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(11-18-2016 01:17 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  It's going to take years to rebuild those relationships...

Who wouldn't want to play in their hometown so their friends and family can come see them play?
Eh, im not so sure. Rodenburg was quoted a few weeks back as saying that Cincinnatians will get out to support a winning program. Its just a matter of a new coach imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

11-18-2016 02:03 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(11-18-2016 01:51 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(11-18-2016 01:27 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  Remember Tubby pulling the scholarship from the kid in Northern Ohio? 03-pissed

Kyle Kempt? IIRC, he never pulled the offer. After Butch Jones, who originally offered him, left for Tennessee, Kempt started looking around so Tuberville offered Brent Stockstill as a backup in case Kempt decommitted. Kempt and his head coach Jason Hall took it the wrong way and officially decommitted as a result.

Regardless, the total lack of awareness from this staff that Cincinnati-area kids fueled UC football success in the last decade is mind boggling.

Out of curiosity, I looked at our 2009 roster (the 12-1) team. As a breakdown:

25/85 players were from Cincinnati; 4 more were from NKY so 29/85 players on the roster (34%) were from Greater Cincinnati.

3 players on that roster from Dayton and the surrounding area (Wilmington and Eaton).

13 players were from Central Ohio (Columbus area).

7 players were from Northeast Ohio (Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown).

2 players were from Eastern Ohio (Steubenville and Lisbon).

1 player from Northern Ohio (Sandusky).

So 51/85 players were Ohio born and bred (55/85 when you add NKY).

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2016 02:15 PM by CliftonAve.)
11-18-2016 02:13 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
(11-18-2016 02:03 PM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(11-18-2016 01:17 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  It's going to take years to rebuild those relationships...

Eh, im not so sure. Rodenburg was quoted a few weeks back as saying that Cincinnatians will get out to support a winning program. Its just a matter of a new coach imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

True

11-18-2016 02:38 PM
pat5775 Offline
1st String

(11-18-2016 01:33 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  Here it is:
LINK

Quote:If Tommy Tuberville's abrupt, overnight exit from Texas Tech last month left some Red Raider recruits feeling a little chilly, his first few weeks on the job at Cincinnati have left Bearcat targets feeling like they've been abandoned in an approaching blizzard. With less than a month to go before national signing day on Feb. 6, multiple prospects who verbally committed to Tuberville's predecessor at Cincy, Butch Jones, have accused Tuberville of quietly crossing their names off the list without contacting them, leaving the players to scramble for last-minute offers.

First up: Demetrius Monday, a three-star cornerback from Fairburn, Ga., who committed to Cincinnati last summer, and told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Thursday that he's back on the market after failing to hear from Tuberville – who accepted the Cincinnati on Dec. 8, less than 48 hours after Jones left for the top job at Tennessee – for a solid month. When Monday's family finally contacted the university this week, according to his father, they were told to "look other places":

"I think it's messed up," his father, Bryant Monday, told the AJC. "You wait until a few weeks before signing day to say something? They could have told us a month ago.
"Now we're left with less than a month until signing day to figure something out. [Demetrius] had other scholarship offers but he hasn't talked to those coaches in six months … since he committed to Cincinnati on July 25. It's really disappointing."
[…]
"They told us to ‘look other places,'" Monday said. "I'm in Los Angeles on vacation, and I just got the bad news. The thing is, we've talked to some other kids committed to Cincinnati. They say the same thing, that they haven't heard from the staff. Basically [Tuberville] isn't calling anybody, he's trying to get the kids to de-commit on their own.

"It's a bad situation."

Next up: Jaleel Canty, a three-star "athlete" from Lansing, Mich., who also committed to Cincinnati last July, and also told the AJC he had to find out he'd been dumped the hard way. After a month with no news, he called the football offices on Thursday.

"They said they were bringing in their own guys, so all the guys that are committed are out luck," Canty said. "It's messed up. I've been committed to Cincinnati since July, and I kind of cut off communication with other schools. I don't understand why [Tuberville] couldn't tell us a month ago. We're less than a month away from signing day now. And I don't understand why we had to call them. Why couldn't they call us and tell us a month ago? It's really disappointing."

Last week, the head coach of nearby Massillon-Washington High, Jason Hall, who told a local paper last week that Tuberville would be effectively banned from recruiting Massillon players after he reportedly pulled a scholarship offer from quarterback Kyle Kempt. In Ohio, that's no trifling matter: Since Hall arrived in 2008, Washington has produced six FBS signees, including current Ohio State starter Devin Smith, and is expected to add three moreto that list this year, including Kempt.

"It was an ugly situation," said Hall, who also serves as the school's athletic director. "I think they thought [Kempt] was going to go to Tennessee with Butch Jones and they offered another quarterback. But that wasn't the case. Cincinnati will not be allowed back in Massillon on our campus as long as Jason Hall is in Massillon."

A source on Tuberville's staff told CBSSports.com's Bruce Feldman that every committed recruit was contacted by a Cincinnati staffer after the coaching change to find out where each recruit stood in the process. According to the source, the new staff plans to honor commitments from those who said they were still committed to Cincinnati, but several recruits said they were still looking at other schools.

Even without Tuberville's side of the story – NCAA rules prohibit coaches from publicly acknowledging individual recruits before they've signed letters of intent – the language in those accounts is damning enough. A player finds the situation "disappointing." A local coach thinks it's "ugly." A parent just calls it "bad." Among his core constituencies on the recruiting trail, Tuberville is off to an 0-for-3 start.

Now, we get to see how he finishes. According 247Sports, Cincinnati currently boasts just 12 verbal commitments for the 2013 class, not including a pair of early enrollees from Copiah-Lincoln (Miss.) Community College who are already on campus. (Schools may sign up to 25 scholarship players in a given year, although they're also restricted by an 85-man cap for the roster as a whole.) For the moment, that group still includes Jaleel Canty, which reflects the uncertainty and flux of the class in the home stretch. Barring a few surprises between now and signing day, Tuberville may find himself facing a few questions he doesn't necessarily want to answer.

03-pissed 03-pissed 03-pissed 03-pissed 03-pissed

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Jce4KvxQXD4

11-18-2016 03:08 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Right outed the gate when they were recruiting their first real class for 2014 they gave a big middle finger to the regional and local programs to put all of their chips into chasing JUCOS and tweeners from the south. Made no sense then and makes even less now. Yet another area of abject failure by Snuffy.

11-18-2016 03:19 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

Looking at that list of guys not signed by Tubs, Monday was the biggest loss. He is an All-MAC performer who had six INTs last year. He is rated high by all the scouts and is expected to be drafted into the NFL this April.

Kempt and Canty are no big losses. That sort of things whenever you have coaching turnover. A few of the guys who have committed in this class will not be picked up if/when we make a change.

11-18-2016 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(11-18-2016 01:09 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  https://t.co/1looEYFdMN

Good blog piece by Lance today discussing an issue we have been debating for years on UC message boards. After discussing the issue with some local coaches, here are some issues UC faces:

1. Area players wanting to "get away" from home. Players more inclined to stay home in AAC cities like Houston and Memphis.
2. A UC coaching staff that focuses more on the South and other areas of the country.
3. Tension/hard feelings from area coaches because of the lack of attention paid to area schools. "They don't seem to care about Cincinnati. They don't even come around," said one area coach.
4. Tuberville not invested in communities like previous UC coaches were. "Brian Kelly would speak at places like Purcell Marian and Roger Bacon and he knew about those schools and about those communities," said one area high school football representative.
7. UC struggles to find "sweet spot" of talent level between Big 10 quality players and MAC quality players.

#2, #3, and #6 on your list are the biggest issues

Tom Herman, same conf as UC, put a staff together that had great lical ties around Houston/TX....they have had little problems recruiting.

This isnt because of the AAC, G5, or anything else...its because we have a dunce as a head coach.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2016 04:11 PM by Bearcats#1.)
11-18-2016 04:10 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-18-2016 03:08 PM)pat5775 Wrote:  
(11-18-2016 01:33 PM)AeroCat Wrote:  Here it is:
LINK

[…]

"It's a bad situation."

03-pissed 03-pissed 03-pissed 03-pissed 03-pissed

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Jce4KvxQXD4

I always find it hard to take anyone who refers to themselves in the 3rd Person, seriously...

11-18-2016 07:52 PM
Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
(11-18-2016 04:10 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(11-18-2016 01:09 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  https://t.co/1looEYFdMN

#2, #3, and #6 on your list are the biggest issues

Tom Herman, same conf as UC, put a staff together that had great lical ties around Houston/TX....they have had little problems recruiting.

This isnt because of the AAC, G5, or anything else...its because we have a dunce as a head coach.

I don't think it's fair to expect UC to recruit this area like OSU/Mich/ND, but it's clear that the recruiting is not where it needs to be.

11-18-2016 08:40 PM
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
#6 they have the ex Anderson hs coach

11-18-2016 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.