Oh boy
11-16-2016 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Oh boy
If the Grizz start taking a public political stance, regardless of the slant, I will not be renewing my season tickets next year.
11-16-2016 11:51 AM
Dynamos Offline
Heisman

I Root For: 3 Day Weekends
(11-16-2016 11:51 AM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  If the Grizz start taking a public political stance, regardless of the slant, I will not be renewing my season tickets next year.

What's so bad about taking a public stance against something?
11-16-2016 12:06 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Better to ignore all politics, imo, and everyone's reactions. Stop making big deals out of anything.

Common ground is best cherished and viewed as sacred ground right now. 02-13-banana
11-16-2016 12:10 PM
memphomike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mempho
I watch the Grizz play bball, folks use sports as an escape, its ignorant to enter these discussions as a basketball org. This is very very dumb.
11-16-2016 12:19 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
I liked it better when we couldn't read minds
11-16-2016 01:01 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Hillary should pounce on the opportunity and open a couple of hotels pronto.
11-16-2016 01:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

(11-16-2016 12:06 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  
(11-16-2016 11:51 AM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  If the Grizz start taking a public political stance, regardless of the slant, I will not be renewing my season tickets next year.

See the 2 comments below my original one to further enhance people's viewpoints. Now, there's nothing wrong with taking a public stance against something. However, there is a time and place for everything. I support the Grizzlies and watch them for their entertainment value. I spend a few thousand on tickets alone and then over the course of the season that equates to a few thousand more on food/beverages, merchandise, pre & post-game time spent on Beale and the surrounding area, etc.

The only way I can "peacefully" protest when a sports organization decides to get into the political world is to stop giving them my disposable income. I will never be paid the type of money those athletes receive but they receive those salaries from small contributions like mine and much larger ones from others. An organization like the Grizzlies will alienate their fans by taking such a stance. Bringing politics public as they are is a poor PR move because we all know everyone in the Forum and that supports the Grizz outside the arena do not all share the same political viewpoints. However, sports is an outlet for entertainment and to get away from the day to day monotony of what the media portrays. We do not need an outlet used for entertainment to now vocalize who and/or what they believe is correct. If they choose to push an agenda then a paying customer, like myself, will choose to take my disposable income elsewhere.
11-16-2016 01:24 PM
Dynamos Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2016 01:24 PM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  

See the 2 comments below my original one to further enhance people's viewpoints. Now, there's nothing wrong with taking a public stance against something. However, there is a time and place for everything. I support the Grizzlies and watch them for their entertainment value. I spend a few thousand on tickets alone and then over the course of the season that equates to a few thousand more on food/beverages, merchandise, pre & post-game time spent on Beale and the surrounding area, etc.

The only way I can "peacefully" protest when a sports organization decides to get into the political world is to stop giving them my disposable income. I will never be paid the type of money those athletes receive but they receive those salaries from small contributions like mine and much larger ones from others. An organization like the Grizzlies will alienate their fans by taking such a stance. Bringing politics public as they are is a poor PR move because we all know everyone in the Forum and that supports the Grizz outside the arena do not all share the same political viewpoints. However, sports is an outlet for entertainment and to get away from the day to day monotony of what the media portrays. We do not need an outlet used for entertainment to now vocalize who and/or what they believe is correct. If they choose to push an agenda then a paying customer, like myself, will choose to take my disposable income elsewhere.

Will the Grizzlies taking a political stance off the court effect how much you enjoy the actual game?
11-16-2016 01:30 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(11-16-2016 01:02 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Hillary should pounce on the opportunity and open a couple of hotels pronto.

Maybe Obama will when he leaves office

He can go in as partners with the "Patels"
11-16-2016 01:37 PM
oldmangrizz Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
I'll post the same thing here that I did on the Grizzlies board before they closed the thread in the interest of togetherness. (I guess that was the reason).

I think it's absurd. I will not attend Grizzlies games until they change this policy. I'm not driving 50 miles to support a team whose owner apparently has trouble agreeing to the results of an election. I'm sure the team could not care less whether I attend games or not. I don't get to attend many games anyway. This doesn't mean I won't watch on TV or hope they win. I am entitled to make a political statement just as they are. I don't intend to get into a political discussion on this board about the election. The team has made a decision and so have I. I can live with both of them.
11-16-2016 01:47 PM
Advertisement

Unbreakable04 Offline
Special Teams

(11-16-2016 01:30 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  
(11-16-2016 01:24 PM)Unbreakable04 Wrote:  

Will the Grizzlies taking a political stance off the court effect how much you enjoy the actual game?

Yes, I grew up a diehard 49ers fan. I haven't watched a game this year, not that there's much to watch with their record, but if they choose to push certain agendas then it will have an affect on how much I enjoy the game and whether I want to invest my time supporting said organization.

I've been going to games since '02, I will always respect what the team has done for the city and hope they never leave due to what they mean to Memphis. But, once they start pushing ideals and voicing their opinion aligning with a political agenda, that is when I can separate myself from the entertainment value because it does, in fact, become less entertaining with that noise off the court.
11-16-2016 01:56 PM
TIGER7880 Offline
Wahoowa Mourning Society

I Root For: Free Beer
My question is why they would make a big deal out of it? It seems to be that having ESPN announce it is a real bone head move. No reason to polarize half of your potential customer base. Kind of like the Commercial Appeal having such a left wing slant when most of the people that read papers are right wing. Not very business saavy.
11-16-2016 02:05 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Did anyone really care before which hotels the Grizzlies stayed in?

After the organization decided not to do business with a company that may have a CEO that offends their owner, staff, and players, that's their business. Or maybe they worry security will more difficult in a company with the name of the President.

Whatever the reason, it isn't actually anything any fan should be worried about.
11-16-2016 02:08 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
I'm out...won't be watching anymore games or buying tickets.
11-16-2016 02:43 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

Bad business to take a stance that pisses of a huge percenatge of your fan base.
11-16-2016 02:44 PM
Advertisement

Dynamos Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2016 02:44 PM)TigerSeth Wrote:  

Bad business to take a stance that pisses of a huge percenatge of your fan base.

Why would people protesting Trump piss anyone off?
11-16-2016 02:48 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2016 02:48 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  
(11-16-2016 02:44 PM)TigerSeth Wrote:  

Why would people protesting Trump piss anyone off?

It looks like a petty political stance after losing an election. Once again....it's bad business. If you can't see that you're blind.
11-16-2016 02:57 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
Do you really care what hotel they are staying in? Seriously?
11-16-2016 02:59 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators

Where are your season tickets. I took a year off this year but am regretting it. You have good seats I could take over?
11-16-2016 03:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

photo cincinnati.png  photo connecticut.png  photo east_carolina.png  photo houston.png  photo memphis.png  photo navy.png  photo smu.png  photo temple.png  photo tulane.png  photo central_florida.png  photo south_florida.png
 photo louisville.png  photo rutgers.png

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.