Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hopson said that Mullens was fine to play . . .
Bookmark and Share
anonymouseagle Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Southern Miss
Hopson said that Mullens was fine to play . . .
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/...45383.html

but he chose to go with the inexperienced Howard instead.

"Keon was our guy," Hopson said. "Nick was okay but we thought it was best to keep him out and we had a good feeling going with Keon in today’s game.

What in the wide wide world of sports is a-going on here?
11-12-2016 11:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

RE: Hopson said that Mullens was fine to play . . .
My guess is that they see that it's somewhat of a lost season at this point, and they aren't going to throw Nick in there so quickly after a concussion with a 5-4 record before today. Also, Nick has struggled. Not sure we are that much better off with him at QB anyway. He is a great QB with protection and playmakers at receiver. We have neither.
11-12-2016 11:24 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
(11-12-2016 11:14 PM)anonymouseagle Wrote:  http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/...45383.html

"Keon was our guy," Hopson said. "Nick was okay but we thought it was best to keep him out and we had a good feeling going with Keon in today’s game.

The Keon Howard era has begun...
11-12-2016 11:25 PM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

Shades of Ellis Johnson in those quotes.......Scary.
11-13-2016 06:42 AM
SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
It has become painfully clear that this coaching staff cannot produce a game plan with Mullins to win. Maybe it is because of protection or lack of talent at wide receiver but it is clear that Keon is much more suited to their offensive coaching capabilities and style.
I feel sorry for Mullins. He has become the scapegoat for this coaching staff.
On a side note, dare I say it, Keon reminds me a whole lot of Prescott. I hope he progresses as well.
11-13-2016 08:03 AM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(11-12-2016 11:14 PM)anonymouseagle Wrote:  http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/...45383.html

makes me sick to my stomach....

if he's not talking out of arse again, it's the dumbest coaching move in the history of the sport.....
11-13-2016 11:12 AM
Advertisement

SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mighty Mustard
(11-13-2016 11:12 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

if he's not talking out of arse again, it's the dumbest coaching move in the history of the sport.....

I get it but we are dead in the water. Recruiting is dead in the water. We've lost four out of the last five. There has to be something to get this program going. If burning his shirt and setting Mullen the rest of the way helps our recruiting for the future then we just got to do it. Sucks for Mullins. Sucks for a lot of these guys. But we got to do something to get this program headed in the right direction.
11-13-2016 11:25 AM
Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

I hate it for Nick. But at this point I would just play Keon too. Only reason to play Nick is to try and salvage 6-6 to go to a crappy bowl game, which to me has very little value. I may be in the minority on this, but I'm not big on making sentimental decisions in sports. You do what's best for the program. IMO, at this point that means play Keon. At the very least I would alteranate them and get Keon 3-4 series these last few games.

It's time to get ready for the future. You can debate who's fault that is for as long as you want, but right now it doesn't matter. That's just the way it is. Can't have burned his shirt for 1 game. Play him now.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2016 11:36 AM by Eagle9.)
11-13-2016 11:35 AM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Italians
...I really don't think that kid is gonna make his grades and Hop figured what the hell, let's get some play time outta him...that would explain a lot.....just a hunch I have. keep an ear open in the off season.
11-13-2016 11:36 AM
Eagle9 Offline
Special Teams

You need to be banned. You are speculating on an 18 year old kids grades based on zero factual information. You're a sad person man. You participate on this board to make USM look as bad as possible. Do you not have something productive to do in life ?
11-13-2016 11:41 AM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
Banned

(11-13-2016 11:41 AM)Eagle9 Wrote:  You need to be banned. You are speculating on an 18 year old kids grades based on zero factual information. You're a sad person man. You participate on this board to make USM look as bad as possible. Do you not have something productive to do in life ?

...you need to point your fingers back at yourself chief....I have heard things so just hop off your soapbox bub...had about enough of you attacking me on here Mr. High School Coach who knows everything.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2016 11:47 AM by Nugget's Ghost.)
11-13-2016 11:43 AM
Advertisement

AndreWhere Offline
Banned

(11-13-2016 11:41 AM)Eagle9 Wrote:  Do you not have something productive to do in life ?

I think he sells timeshares.
11-13-2016 11:46 AM
stinkfist Offline

(11-13-2016 11:25 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  
(11-13-2016 11:12 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

I get it but we are dead in the water. Recruiting is dead in the water. We've lost four out of the last five. There has to be something to get this program going. If burning his shirt and setting Mullen the rest of the way helps our recruiting for the future then we just got to do it. Sucks for Mullins. Sucks for a lot of these guys. But we got to do something to get this program headed in the right direction.

recruiting just became deader than dead....

you don't bench Mullens if he can go.....the season was already lost in expectation....at least have the balls and grace to finish the comebacks of all time in w/l during his tenure....

do you not think that recruits see that psyche as a fear factor moving forward???

I'm sick to my stomach at this point.....I'm done with Hop....that move sealed it...
11-13-2016 11:59 AM
HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

It could've been a move to protect Nick, it could've been a move to get a jump on next year, or it could've been a combination of both.

Having been involved with the treatment of a metric s*** ton of them, I can tell you it's rare that a younger athlete fully recovers from a concussion and clears all the recommended checkpoints within a week. Nick may have been "OK," but not so much they felt 100% comfortable letting him go out and get hammered multiple times by an opposing D end just yet.

It's also possible they had known for days that Mullens was going to be unavailable and Hopson was/is lying about his status just to keep the opponents guessing. There's no telling WTF the truth is unless you're actually in the meetings.
11-13-2016 12:08 PM
stinkfist Offline

(11-13-2016 12:08 PM)HarborPointe Wrote:  It could've been a move to protect Nick, it could've been a move to get a jump on next year, or it could've been a combination of both.

Having been involved with the treatment of a metric s*** ton of them, I can tell you it's rare that a younger athlete fully recovers from a concussion and clears all the recommended checkpoints within a week. Nick may have been "OK," but not so much they felt 100% comfortable letting him go out and get hammered multiple times by an opposing D end just yet.

It's also possible they had known for days that Mullens was going to be unavailable and Hopson was/is lying about his status just to keep the opponents guessing. There's no telling WTF the truth is unless you're actually in the meetings.

while I can understand that premise, I refuse to buy into that psychology as valid....

if that were the case, he shouldn't have dressed out at all.....I only see hippiTTTy hop trying to protect his and others' arses....
11-13-2016 12:16 PM
GeagleFan Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-13-2016 11:35 AM)Eagle9 Wrote:  You do what's best for the program. IMO, at this point that means play Keon.

I can't agree. I'd say giving him another offseason to develop and letting him start fresh with 4 years in this headlights would have been what's best for this program. We should have salvaged what we could for the season with Nick, and moved on looking forward to a bright future with Keon. Now, we throw him into a dumpster fire, let him get smashed a couple hundred times, and burn his whole 1st season on three ****** games.
11-13-2016 12:21 PM
Advertisement

HarborPointe Offline
North American Champion

stinkfist Wrote:  if that were the case, he shouldn't have dressed out at all.....

If it was a con, it wouldn't have been a very good one had Mullens walked out in jeans, now would it?

This may or may not have been one of those times, but this stuff totally happens. I've seen it before with my own eyes. I've even seen perfectly ready players sit out warm-ups just to make the other coaches spend 20 more minutes thinking the kid won't play. It's goofy, but people do it.
11-13-2016 01:33 PM
Reggie Favre Offline
All American

(11-13-2016 08:03 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  It has become painfully clear that this coaching staff cannot produce a game plan with Mullins to win. Maybe it is because of protection or lack of talent at wide receiver but it is clear that Keon is much more suited to their offensive coaching capabilities and style.
On a side note, dare I say it, Keon reminds me a whole lot of Prescott. I hope he progresses as well.

but Nuggets ghost and 99beers said theres no doubt that mullens will be drafted in the NFL. how can you bench an NFL qb? or maybe they dont know what they are talking about, and hes not an NFL qb and wont get drafted (like i said before).
11-13-2016 01:41 PM
Black Diamond Reb Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ole Miss / USM
(11-13-2016 11:41 AM)Eagle9 Wrote:  You make USM look as bad as possible.

They do that quite well on their own.
11-13-2016 01:49 PM
Nugget's Ghost Offline
Banned

(11-13-2016 01:41 PM)Reggie Favre Wrote:  
(11-13-2016 08:03 AM)SoMs Eagle Wrote:  It has become painfully clear that this coaching staff cannot produce a game plan with Mullins to win. Maybe it is because of protection or lack of talent at wide receiver but it is clear that Keon is much more suited to their offensive coaching capabilities and style.

but Nuggets ghost and 99beers said theres no doubt that mullens will be drafted in the NFL. how can you bench an NFL qb? or maybe they dont know what they are talking about, and hes not an NFL qb and wont get drafted (like i said before).

...kid has a concussion. the trainers and doctors both agreed not to risk his NFL career by playing him this week....try again to publicly slander the kid and say only negative things and bash Nick who is arguably the best QB we've ever had and probably the nicest kid I've ever met.

and both his brother and his Dad look at this board....*smh*
11-13-2016 01:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.