Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A La Carte ESPN Streaming Is Coming
Bookmark and Share
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
A La Carte ESPN Streaming Is Coming
Not likely imminent but Disney is shifting its philosophy as ESPN continues to cause the company to lose revenue (earnings reported within the past hour).

Burbank, California-based Disney hasn't gone that far yet. But last quarter it took a $1 billion stake in BAMTech, which provides streaming for Major League Baseball. The company said it plans to use that technology to offer an ESPN streaming service that offers live game streaming and programming not offered on regular ESPN.

"Disney is the one media company that can succeed in taking its brands directly to consumers," said Nomura analyst Anthony DiClemente. He expects Disney could one day offer ESPN as a stand-alone service, for example, similar to HBO's $15-a-month "HBO Now."
-Source: New York Times

They also working to forge additional deals with Hulu and Netflix. Hulu and Disney signed a deal last month that would put ESPN on Hulu. Fox has done the same with Hulu for FS1, the Regionals and the Big Ten Net. Looks like Hulu is the one trying to make the sports play. Supposed to add 35 channels in the Disney and Fox portfolios to Hulu.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 05:49 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
11-10-2016 05:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: A La Carte ESPN Streaming Is Coming
I've seen estimates that it would be about $35-40 for an over the top ESPN subscription for them to be the same as cable revenues.
11-10-2016 08:33 PM
xxxoduxxx Offline
2nd String

I Root For: XXXODUXXX
When you talk about ESPN, Hulu and Netflix, do you mean live games? Or more like what Netflix currently have with ESPN deal that is documentary like 30 for 30 etc.
11-10-2016 09:44 PM
Heisman

(11-10-2016 09:44 PM)xxxoduxxx Wrote:  When you talk about ESPN, Hulu and Netflix, do you mean live games? Or more like what Netflix currently have with ESPN deal that is documentary like 30 for 30 etc.

Live with Hulu.
11-10-2016 10:05 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(11-10-2016 08:33 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  I've seen estimates that it would be about $35-40 for an over the top ESPN subscription for them to be the same as cable revenues.

no way they can compete in isolation....

people will just give them the finger.....

hell, I already have....
11-10-2016 10:06 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(11-10-2016 08:33 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  I've seen estimates that it would be about $35-40 for an over the top ESPN subscription for them to be the same as cable revenues.

That's about what the Hulu subscription is scheduled to cost beginning in 2017. But you will get ESPN plus all the other stuff Hulu offers including Fox Sports and BTN.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 10:08 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
11-10-2016 10:07 PM
benny_t Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(11-10-2016 10:07 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

That's about what the Hulu subscription is scheduled to cost beginning in 2017. But you will get ESPN plus all the other stuff Hulu offers including Fox Sports and BTN.
Is Hulu going to have the option to opt out of the sports packages? I would think they would but if not they are going to make the same mistake cable made.
11-11-2016 09:06 AM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
(11-11-2016 09:06 AM)benny_t Wrote:  

Is Hulu going to have the option to opt out of the sports packages? I would think they would but if not they are going to make the same mistake cable made.

I agree. You could get the yellow sling package, Netflix, and Amazon for 40.00 a month. This gives you access to ESPN, networks like Amc, fx, TNT, etc. That to me is better content than Hulu.
Throw in a 20.00 antenna and you might could grab a network or two. I also use the NBC app (free) to watch the only two network shows that I consider must see tv.

If ESPN goes against the cable carriers and directTV and Dish and gets dropped, it could create a huge sports vacuum.
11-11-2016 09:40 AM
Heisman

(11-11-2016 09:06 AM)benny_t Wrote:  

My understanding is they will have different levels of packages. May just be two though. The live plus on demand and then the on demand only similar to now.
11-11-2016 10:23 AM
Advertisement

FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
(11-10-2016 10:06 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  no way they can compete in isolation....

people will just give them the finger.....

hell, I already have....

Congratulations to you. I certainly hope most G5 households would give them the finger. Their meddling and greed has earned it.
11-11-2016 11:18 AM
LouisvilleHilltopper Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU

No way that'll work. With SlingTV right now, I have all the ESPN channels, FS1/FS2/FSN, Pac12, SECN, BeIN, and all kinds of other sports channels for $40 a month.
11-11-2016 12:28 PM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
(11-11-2016 12:28 PM)LouisvilleHilltopper Wrote:  

No way that'll work. With SlingTV right now, I have all the ESPN channels, FS1/FS2/FSN, Pac12, SECN, BeIN, and all kinds of other sports channels for $40 a month.

I am a Dish TV sheep right now. I am basically paying $100 for the convenience of the Hopper DVR. I am okay with that but always open to a better alternative. With Sling, are you able to watch your local broadcast affiliates?
11-11-2016 12:49 PM
LouisvilleHilltopper Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
(11-11-2016 12:49 PM)mistabinks Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 12:28 PM)LouisvilleHilltopper Wrote:  

I am a Dish TV sheep right now. I am basically paying $100 for the convenience of the Hopper DVR. I am okay with that but always open to a better alternative. With Sling, are you able to watch your local broadcast affiliates?

The local affiliates depends on where you are. One of the local stations here in Louisville is on it, but that's it. I use an HD antenna for the others. The regular FOX and NBC stations are on Sling, too.
11-11-2016 01:23 PM
Advertisement

BlazintheATL Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
I chose PS Vue.
11-11-2016 11:37 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
See..... when cord cutters cut, they get the service you moved to to charge..... follow the money.... they'll get their revenue from somewhere..... rights fees will go up....
11-12-2016 12:17 AM
Heisman

(11-12-2016 12:17 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  See..... when cord cutters cut, they get the service you moved to to charge..... follow the money.... they'll get their revenue from somewhere..... rights fees will go up....

The biggest problem I see looming for us consumers is that you won't get all of the sports channels with the service or services that you use as a cord cutter. In this transitory phase it appears one or two will go with one already established service. One or two more will go to another and then maybe those will their own assets in hand perhaps they just go solo a la carte for sports only and don't sign on with any of the third parties (i.e. I could see CBS doing this with their prime sports content and CBS Sports Network).

That's the one thing cable gives you it doesn't look like any streaming service is going to be able to add.
11-12-2016 12:36 AM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
Sports is probably the only events most folks "need" to see live. Everything else can be slotted in around the consumer's schedule (watch a day later, or binge watch at the end of the season).

Cable forces us to arrange our schedule around a game and some of the young ones are opting out to do other things with their time. That is why ESPN has its mobile app. The question for ESPN and the other sports consolidators is this, can they continue to expect these millennials (the future money pool) to pay for cable tethers while they watch games on their phones and tablets through apps?

Cable will continue to make money, selling you higher bandwidth to stream all these things.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2016 09:45 AM by FIU4Ever.)
11-12-2016 09:44 AM
Advertisement

Dowless Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
I don't see ESPN making it with this type of service. The rise of sports shifted from a time when the only way to view the event was attending to watching local/regional broadcasting. ESPN came online with a national approach to sports, but as they choose their alliance with the big brand teams/Conferences thousands of fans are pulling away. If I never see anything related to Charlotte on ESPN then what is the purpose. So they have an issue with people like me and they have an issue with people that are not into sports. Based on my kid's generation that group is growing. You have to understand that there is also a price point for even the most loyal of Wal-Mart fans for these big schools as well.
11-12-2016 09:58 AM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I Root For: nothing
(11-12-2016 09:58 AM)Dowless Wrote:  I don't see ESPN making it with this type of service. The rise of sports shifted from a time when the only way to view the event was attending to watching local/regional broadcasting. ESPN came online with a national approach to sports, but as they choose their alliance with the big brand teams/Conferences thousands of fans are pulling away. If I never see anything related to Charlotte on ESPN then what is the purpose. So they have an issue with people like me and they have an issue with people that are not into sports. Based on my kid's generation that group is growing. You have to understand that there is also a price point for even the most loyal of Wal-Mart fans for these big schools as well.

Agreed. Won't change my opinion of the channel a bit. I will never pay a la carte to watch ESPN blast Bama in my face all day long, not even for a dollar. If they don't regionally tailor their service, ESPN's days are numbered.

Regionally tailoring the service could end the whole TV market realignment justification. With that, maybe we can finally have regional conferences, as it should be.
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2016 03:41 PM by Pyrizzo.)
11-12-2016 03:39 PM
Artifice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Beer
I've had Google Fiber TV for a month now. $60/mo, but so well executed: searchable, built in anywhere DVR, so many channels. You people paying $40+ extra subscriptions for content don't make a bit of sense to me.
11-13-2016 05:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.