Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

EMU Basketball needs to market this player to gain national visibility.
Bookmark and Share
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
We need to capitalize and snag great recruits to play with Thompson. He's got the potential to get to the NBA league!!

http://www.emueagles.com/news/2016/11/9/...-list.aspx
11-10-2016 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
RE: EMU Basketball needs to market this player to gain national visibility.
Maybe, Lucky I really don't like elevating a single player over the team. You do this with Roback and now with Thompson. Its a team game and we need ALL players performing to win. Yes I appreciate Thompson's talent and Roback's too, but....
11-10-2016 12:58 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I hear what you are saying but I meant to attract other players, EMU needs to showcase a special talent when there is one in place. Of course it is a team and no player can accomplish special achievements without the team but we also need to recognize difference makers.

I highlighted Roback because many of our own fans thought he was average or below average quarterback. The reality is Roback is a difference maker. If we continue to improve our receiving corps, he'll lead the MAC next year in passing completions and yardage.

Thompson may have an opportunity to be first team All-MAC and that is something EMU should showcase to attract more highly skilled basketball players. EMU did showcase Earl Boykins and deservedly so.
11-10-2016 02:45 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(11-10-2016 02:45 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  I hear what you are saying but I meant to attract other players, EMU needs to showcase a special talent when there is one in place. Of course it is a team and no player can accomplish special achievements without the team but we also need to recognize difference makers.

I highlighted Roback because many of our own fans thought he was average or below average quarterback. The reality is Roback is a difference maker. If we continue to improve our receiving corps, he'll lead the MAC next year in passing completions and yardage.

Thompson may have an opportunity to be first team All-MAC and that is something EMU should showcase to attract more highly skilled basketball players. EMU did showcase Earl Boykins and deservedly so.

EMU showcases their players. I'm not sure what the issue is... It is out there.

Detroit News has been doing a very nice job covering the local MAC teams this fall.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/.../93573542/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dfToAo1aIk
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 02:59 PM by emu steve.)
11-10-2016 02:56 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Correct EMU showcases several players of which Thompson is one.
11-10-2016 04:38 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-10-2016 04:38 PM)emu79 Wrote:  Correct EMU showcases several players of which Thompson is one.

EMU does a very good job and works very hard on it publicity.

I suggest folks go to the EMUEagles.com website and see the stuff there.

OTOH, it is up to the media to go there and get info for their stories.

To paraphrase, "you can lead the media to a website, but you can't make them write (a story)."
11-10-2016 04:42 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Good chance he leaves after this season so might not be able to bring in more to play with him.
11-10-2016 05:05 PM
Advertisement

vannzee Offline
Special Teams

I don't see him going pro. He's not there yet talent wise.
11-11-2016 05:28 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

http://www.detroitnews.com/picture-galle.../93575204/

More + media coverage. :)

Folks, if you are looking for EMU/WMU/CMU coverage in a Detroit media paper, the Detroit News has been having excellent coverage of the three Michigan MAC.

http://www.detroitnews.com/sports/college/
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 06:33 AM by emu steve.)
11-11-2016 06:22 AM
Advertisement

EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

(11-11-2016 05:28 AM)vannzee Wrote:  I don't see him going pro. He's not there yet talent wise.

I think the opposite, he definitely has all the god given talent to play at the next level. In order to make that jump this year he needs to learn to play better D, work on his temperament, and not getting into foul trouble.
11-11-2016 07:26 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-11-2016 07:26 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  
(11-11-2016 05:28 AM)vannzee Wrote:  I don't see him going pro. He's not there yet talent wise.

I think the opposite, he definitely has all the god given talent to play at the next level. In order to make that jump this year he needs to learn to play better D, work on his temperament, and not getting into foul trouble.

I think the big thing is playing the '4'.

One can be a collegiate '5' but not project to a NBA '4'.
11-11-2016 12:54 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(11-11-2016 07:26 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  

agreed. Maurice Ndour and Richaun Holmes are playing in the NBA right now. they aren't going to make the all-star game this year, but they are getting some playing time and getting paid.

in addition to what Eagle King said, he also needs to be able to shoot a jumper from at least 15 feet. the other thing working against him is age. he's already 21. teams like the prospect of molding younger guys.

none of this is to say that i think he's a lock to go pro this year (or ever), but i think he could make it to an NBA roster if he continues to improve. it seems like there are 8-10 guys that i would put in this category in the MAC every year, and it's a struggle for even 1 to make it to the NBA.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2016 02:23 PM by EMUAARON.)
11-11-2016 02:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.