Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[AP Poll] The Media is a joke
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
UH went from being right outside the poll to being down to 25 points. I guess there's a penalty for having a bye week and being out of sight, out of mind.

Thankfully the media means jack (they still managed to keep Baylor ranked, after losing to Texas and then 62-22 to TCU at home, let alone Nebraska), so hopefully the CFP poll will be better...LOL, that was a good one, UH would be unranked even if undefeated. They'll have no-offense-to-be-found LSU in the top 10.
11-07-2016 12:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
RE: [AP Poll] The Media is a joke
(11-07-2016 12:51 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  UH went from being right outside the poll to being down to 25 points. I guess there's a penalty for having a bye week and being out of sight, out of mind.

Thankfully the media means jack (they still managed to keep Baylor ranked, after losing to Texas and then 62-22 to TCU at home, let alone Nebraska), so hopefully the CFP poll will be better...LOL, that was a good one, UH would be unranked even if undefeated. They'll have no-offense-to-be-found LSU in the top 10.

I just noticed that theh still have navy unranked too what a shocker.... 07-coffee3

To be honest though i am suprised houston is ranked ahead of navy.
11-07-2016 01:54 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Well, Navy did lose last week. That said, UH went from 111 points last week to 25 simply for being off. I don't feel like checking, maybe they had 111 in the coaches poll but that's really stupid.
11-07-2016 02:29 AM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

For the record we dropped from 65 to 25 votes in the AP poll and were passed by USC, Arkansas, SDSU, and Troy in the receiving votes section. While I do disagree with placing Troy over us, the other three teams scored huge conference wins last weekend and earned the right to pass us in the polls (And even this is a non issue in the updated Coaches which has us significantly ahead of Troy but behind those other three schools). The only way we're gonna see the top 25 again this year is to earn it with a win over Louisville, which is a tall order but it is what it is. That isn't the result of some media conspiracy against us, but the product of our losses (more specifically the SMU loss) and general poor play the last 4 games. At this point just be glad that OU has been holding it down in conference play because otherwise we probably wouldn't even be receiving votes.

As for the CFP rankings, come off it man. If we would have handled business and remained undefeated up to this point, we would likely be ranked somewhere between 7-10, perhaps right behind Louisville. Even with just the Navy loss, I believe we'd still be the highest ranked G5 team. The only part of your post that I agree with is the part about Baylor. Hopefully OU hands them another blowout loss next weekend and ousts them from the polls permanently.

I think a better reaction thread to the polls would have been something along the lines of, 'its nice to see 4 AAC teams receiving some votes,' because with the way the teams are positioned, the conference has a solid shot of having two teams ranked by the season's end.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 03:31 AM by WhoseHouse?.)
11-07-2016 03:27 AM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-07-2016 02:29 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Well, Navy did lose last week. That said, UH went from 111 points last week to 25 simply for being off. I don't feel like checking, maybe they had 111 in the coaches poll but that's really stupid.

Ya but they beat us and they won this week. That should at least put them ahead of us. I mean i called it when i said that people would not see the notre dame game as a big win but rather navy struggling to beat a bad team. But i didn't think they would be this disrespectful only 2 ap votes dang....
11-07-2016 04:05 AM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

(11-07-2016 04:05 AM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 02:29 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  Well, Navy did lose last week. That said, UH went from 111 points last week to 25 simply for being off. I don't feel like checking, maybe they had 111 in the coaches poll but that's really stupid.

Ya but they beat us and they won this week. That should at least put them ahead of us. I mean i called it when i said that people would not see the notre dame game as a big win but rather navy struggling to beat a bad team. But i didn't think they would be this disrespectful only 2 ap votes dang....

What Navy needs is for UH to beat Louisville and re-solidify their win over us as a legit win against a top 25 program. That alone would have a trickle effect that would greatly elevate the perception of the league as whole (In other words it would improve Navy's win over us, which would in effect, improve USF's win over Navy, and so on and so forth. Without a win in that game, the conference will be lucky to have multiple teams ranked by the end of the year. For better or worse the conference's fate is tied to UH this year, so hopefully we show the **** up.
04-cheers
11-07-2016 04:26 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(11-07-2016 03:27 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  For the record we dropped from 65 to 25 votes in the AP poll and were passed by USC, Arkansas, SDSU, and Troy in the receiving votes section. While I do disagree with placing Troy over us, the other three teams scored huge conference wins last weekend and earned the right to pass us in the polls (And even this is a non issue in the updated Coaches which has us significantly ahead of Troy but behind those other three schools). The only way we're gonna see the top 25 again this year is to earn it with a win over Louisville, which is a tall order but it is what it is. That isn't the result of some media conspiracy against us, but the product of our losses (more specifically the SMU loss) and general poor play the last 4 games. At this point just be glad that OU has been holding it down in conference play because otherwise we probably wouldn't even be receiving votes.

As for the CFP rankings, come off it man. If we would have handled business and remained undefeated up to this point, we would likely be ranked somewhere between 7-10, perhaps right behind Louisville. Even with just the Navy loss, I believe we'd still be the highest ranked G5 team. The only part of your post that I agree with is the part about Baylor. Hopefully OU hands them another blowout loss next weekend and ousts them from the polls permanently.

I think a better reaction thread to the polls would have been something along the lines of, 'its nice to see 4 AAC teams receiving some votes,' because with the way the teams are positioned, the conference has a solid shot of having two teams ranked by the season's end.

It's not a media conspiracy but I'm more upset about the idea of the team being off and dropping especially because of that. If they beat Tulane this past weekend and was off this weekend, they may be ranked.

In the grand scheme of things it's not big deal and you're right about Louisville but it's frustrating to drop while being off. This isn't the first time this has happened either.
11-07-2016 05:04 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
If college football had a real conference championship playoff, there would be no need for a poll " ap or coaches "
I've been watching college football scence I was a kid hmmm early 70's
And I was thinking back then , hey dad why is there no playoffs in college like there is for the Oilers or for the Astros... Well he said' first of all to make it to the playoffs you have to be good and the Oilers and Astros haven't won a game in a few years but ! And I mean but !, he said the Cougars do win games and one day way down the road they will have a good coach named tommy Herman that will take UofH Cougars to the promised land and they will name a big inner city park after him...
Gosh after all that and Iam not even drinking this morning only good coffee...
11-07-2016 06:33 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

The Only time a Poll should matter imo is when viewing " babe of the day "
11-07-2016 06:56 AM
Advertisement

panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
No one above any of us lost.

What did you expect?
11-07-2016 07:33 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(11-07-2016 12:51 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  UH went from being right outside the poll to being down to 25 points. I guess there's a penalty for having a bye week and being out of sight, out of mind.

Overated pretenders blinded by arrogance. It happens.
11-07-2016 01:48 PM
JesseTU Offline
2nd String

It could be that SMU, the team you just lost to, got utterly destroyed this week by Memphis. If SMU had really turned things around, it would have allowed Houston to save face. Since SMU didn't, well... it makes the loss look that much worse.
11-07-2016 01:53 PM
invisiblehand Offline
Heisman

I just thought they lost to the Fighting Bye's.
11-07-2016 02:06 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Well when I looked at the ap pollsters ballets, I noticed that a lot of the voters from the west tended to include mwc teams in their rankings and some even where singled out as being extremely having over rated them. There was even one pollsters that had bsu, sdsu, and Wyoming in his top 25
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2016 07:27 PM by Tigersmoke3.)
11-07-2016 07:25 PM
coogrfan Offline
All American

(11-07-2016 01:53 PM)JesseTU Wrote:  It could be that SMU, the team you just lost to, got utterly destroyed this week by Memphis. If SMU had really turned things around, it would have allowed Houston to save face. Since SMU didn't, well... it makes the loss look that much worse.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!
11-07-2016 07:42 PM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
(11-07-2016 07:42 PM)coogrfan Wrote:  
(11-07-2016 01:53 PM)JesseTU Wrote:  It could be that SMU, the team you just lost to, got utterly destroyed this week by Memphis. If SMU had really turned things around, it would have allowed Houston to save face. Since SMU didn't, well... it makes the loss look that much worse.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

Well why doesn't that same logic apply to sdsu with that awful south Alabama loss when it comes to the polls, they're still ranked over Houston and they sure as hell didn't beat a p5 champ along the way like a Oklahoma
11-07-2016 08:50 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

If Houston wins out then I would think that we would be ranked highest amount the left outs
And if Louisville is at 7 or 6 in ap that would be 2 top 10 wins against 2 left outs
The SMU loss really took 9 lives out of us Cougars...
11-07-2016 09:12 PM
Advertisement

NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
To be fair, Boise's win over Wazzou is looking better and better each week. They're 6-0 in the PAC and ranked. Oklahoma is still the better of the two OOC wins, and if Houston had the same number of losses I think they'd be ahead of Boise.

WMU has two wins over weak P5 teams, but almost every one of their wins have been decisive victories. Their consistency has been impressive, to say the least.
11-08-2016 12:35 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(11-07-2016 09:12 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  If Houston wins out then I would think that we would be ranked highest amount the left outs
And if Louisville is at 7 or 6 in ap that would be 2 top 10 wins against 2 left outs
The SMU loss really took 9 lives out of us Cougars...

Actually, it would have been way better to lose just against SMU than Navy. Sneak past Navy and the SMU loss just looks like a major fluke, a one time deal that doesn't correlate to the rest of the season. That, and UH would control its own destiny in the AAC West race.
11-08-2016 01:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.