Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

COLLEGE FOOTBALL Power 5? American Athletic Conference using helmet decals to argue i
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
COLLEGE FOOTBALL Power 5? American Athletic Conference using helmet decals to argue i
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...6-stickers
Quote:The AAC’s got somethin’ to say.

College football’s version of haves and have-nots lies in the distinction of Power 5 and Group of 5. The former includes the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12. The latter includes the Mountain West, MAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA and American. The budgets and resources are different, as is the postseason setup: each of the power leagues have automatic New Year’s Six bids, while the entire Group of 5 fights for one.

The American isn’t content being lumped in that group.

The league’s teams are all wearing that decal:

The American wants you to believe its teams are just as worthy of respect as the Power 5’s, and there’s merit to it.

Adjusting for opponent, the American has three teams in the S&P+ top 50 as of Oct. 29. Tulsa sits at No. 57, ranked ahead of Arkansas and Mississippi State. Seven American teams rank ahead of Georgia.

The American formed from the remnants of the Big East, which was an automatic-qualifier, power conference in the old BCS system.

But this week, we took a look at each division from every conference and ranked them by average S&P+ ranking. We found that the Mountain West Mountain division is actually the best Group of 5 division this year (just a touch worse than the SEC East). But both American divisions were higher than the Mountain West East division.

Houston dispatched the Big 12’s Oklahoma in Week 1, though, and although the Cougars may not be having the season they hoped for, it’s clear that the conference can compete with anyone.

UH and Boise won the first two editions of the Playoff era’s mid-major-friendly bowls.

Now that the conference is whole, it has the peace of mind of not being poached and the depth to match up with any league.

During the latest round of Big 12 expansion talks, it seemed apparent that the conference was going to annex as many as two teams from the American, and Houston seemed the most attractive suitor. Thanks to that fiasco, the conference held back on rolling out this marketing campaign.

Commissioner Mike Aresco had this to say to CBS:

"Obviously, this was a colossal distraction for a long time and, now that it appears over, we have a real opportunity to pursue our goal to be viewed as a Power Six conference," Aresco said Tuesday. "Our schools have probably never been better known nationally, ironically, because of this process. When a Power Five conference looks to expand, they look at our conference."
11-05-2016 01:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

M1T4 Offline
Heisman

RE: COLLEGE FOOTBALL Power 5? American Athletic Conference using helmet decals to argue i
Quo in 3...2...1
11-05-2016 01:40 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

I Root For: UH
COLLEGE FOOTBALL Power 5? American Athletic Conference using helmet decals to...
(11-05-2016 01:39 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...6-stickers

College football’s version of haves and have-nots lies in the distinction of Power 5 and Group of 5. The former includes the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big 12. The latter includes the Mountain West, MAC, Sun Belt, Conference USA and American. The budgets and resources are different, as is the postseason setup: each of the power leagues have automatic New Year’s Six bids, while the entire Group of 5 fights for one.

The American wants you to believe its teams are just as worthy of respect as the Power 5’s, and there’s merit to it.

Adjusting for opponent, the American has three teams in the S&P+ top 50 as of Oct. 29. Tulsa sits at No. 57, ranked ahead of Arkansas and Mississippi State. Seven American teams rank ahead of Georgia.

The American formed from the remnants of the Big East, which was an automatic-qualifier, power conference in the old BCS system.

But this week, we took a look at each division from every conference and ranked them by average S&P+ ranking. We found that the Mountain West Mountain division is actually the best Group of 5 division this year (just a touch worse than the SEC East). But both American divisions were higher than the Mountain West East division.

Houston dispatched the Big 12’s Oklahoma in Week 1, though, and although the Cougars may not be having the season they hoped for, it’s clear that the conference can compete with anyone.

UH and Boise won the first two editions of the Playoff era’s mid-major-friendly bowls.

Now that the conference is whole, it has the peace of mind of not being poached and the depth to match up with any league.

During the latest round of Big 12 expansion talks, it seemed apparent that the conference was going to annex as many as two teams from the American, and Houston seemed the most attractive suitor. Thanks to that fiasco, the conference held back on rolling out this marketing campaign.

"Obviously, this was a colossal distraction for a long time and, now that it appears over, we have a real opportunity to pursue our goal to be viewed as a Power Six conference," Aresco said Tuesday. "Our schools have probably never been better known nationally, ironically, because of this process. When a Power Five conference looks to expand, they look at our conference."

We can wear whatever we want. Doesn't change the fact we still have that G5 label and will continue to be seen as a G5.
11-05-2016 01:52 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
RE: COLLEGE FOOTBALL Power 5? American Athletic Conference using helmet decals to argue i
I like it.

Did that decal require NCAA approval?
11-05-2016 01:56 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2016 01:52 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 01:39 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  http://www.sbnation.com/college-football...6-stickers

We can wear whatever we want. Doesn't change the fact we still have that G5 label and will continue to be seen as a G5.
I don't care either way. We just need to produce
11-05-2016 01:57 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU

MTW higher than AAC?
11-05-2016 02:01 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

Man that s&p+ rankings is the stupidest rankings I've seen so far. No only is the mwc mountain not better than the AAC west but the AAC east isn't better either, and exactly what indy teams are doing so great for them to be ranked over the AAC west?
11-05-2016 02:02 PM
STLWAVE Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulane, Mizzou
That bogus S&P+ rating has FSU #14, USC #17, and 5 loss Ole Miss #19! Also 3 loss Western Kentucky at #24.... this rating system is dumb
11-05-2016 02:06 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

COLLEGE FOOTBALL Power 5? American Athletic Conference using helmet decals to...
(11-05-2016 02:02 PM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  Man that s&p+ rankings is the stupidest rankings I've seen so far. No only is the mwc mountain not better than the AAC west but the AAC east isn't better either, and exactly what indy teams are doing so great for them to be ranked over the AAC west?

Well our conference as a whole hasn't been great this year.
11-05-2016 02:12 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2016 02:12 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 02:02 PM)Tigersmoke3 Wrote:  Man that s&p+ rankings is the stupidest rankings I've seen so far. No only is the mwc mountain not better than the AAC west but the AAC east isn't better either, and exactly what indy teams are doing so great for them to be ranked over the AAC west?

What happen to you? You used to not be a Debbie downer
11-05-2016 02:17 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-05-2016 02:17 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  

I broke my rose colored glasses.
11-05-2016 02:20 PM
Advertisement

M1T4 Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2016 02:20 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

I got some gorilla glue if you need some
11-05-2016 02:29 PM
DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2016 02:29 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  

Hes depressed because he really believed UH was gonna make the playoff
11-05-2016 02:54 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-05-2016 02:54 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 02:29 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 02:12 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  Well our conference as a whole hasn't been great this year.

Hes depressed because he really believed UH was gonna make the playoff

Never thought we would make the playoff as the committee would have found a way to keep us out. Definitely had hopes of making the cotton bowl though. The big 12 fiasco also showed that this conference is going to get screwed which pissed me off more.
11-05-2016 03:00 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:

It's not a Houston fan. He's working you guys. Always was.
11-05-2016 03:10 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-05-2016 03:10 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  

Oh so because im not a homer that means im not a houston fan? Good thing every just considers you a troll otherwise we might be in trouble.

Like i said have had season tickets since for 21 years and never missed a home game. You don't get to decide who is an isn't fan.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 03:13 PM by Westhoff123.)
11-05-2016 03:11 PM
Advertisement

DowdyPirate Offline
Heisman

(11-05-2016 03:11 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  

Oh so because im not a homer that means im not a houston fan? Good thing every just considers you a troll otherwise we might be in trouble.

Like i said have had season tickets since for 21 years and never missed a home game. You don't get to decide who is an isn't fan.

But only has stubs from the past 2 years. Don't forget that part
11-05-2016 03:14 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-05-2016 03:14 PM)DowdyPirate Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 02:12 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  Well our conference as a whole hasn't been great this year.

Right.... because you know how many ticket stubs i have. I have my stub from the 2006 championship game too. Last i checked thats more than 2 years.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 03:18 PM by Westhoff123.)
11-05-2016 03:17 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(11-05-2016 03:17 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 02:17 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  What happen to you? You used to not be a Debbie downer

Right....

"you had season tickets since for 21 years"? lol. Whatever man
11-05-2016 03:20 PM
Westhoff123 Offline
Dr. Doom

(11-05-2016 03:20 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 03:17 PM)Westhoff123 Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 03:10 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  It's not a Houston fan. He's working you guys. Always was.

Right....

"you had season tickets since for 21 years"? lol. Whatever man

Actually it was "have had" if your going to quote do it right. I still have season tickets by the way. Sorry your upset that im not a blind homer like you.
11-05-2016 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.