Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[split] Effect of Friday CFB games on high school football
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
[split] Effect of Friday CFB games on high school football
Personally, I think that all the Big Ten schools should say no on this one. Even the ACC needs to abandon Friday's, IMO. Let the NFL have Friday, and we'll see if high school coaches start steering their kids towards soccer rather than play pro football. CFB has given up enough, IMO. Let the NFL gamble on this one
11-03-2016 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Big Ten will play 6 Friday FB games per year starting in 2017
Hahahaha high schools also play games on saturday. I love how all the high school supporters come on here and cry how it's going to kill the game! Oh no, the state college had a single friday night game once every 2-3 years! How will our small town ever cope with this?!?!?!
11-03-2016 10:04 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Take that, high school games!
11-03-2016 11:09 AM
lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(11-03-2016 10:04 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Hahahaha high schools also play games on saturday. I love how all the high school supporters come on here and cry how it's going to kill the game! Oh no, the state college had a single friday night game once every 2-3 years! How will our small town ever cope with this?!?!?!

It is not going to kill High School. We all know that, however this could backfire big time. I will use OSU as my example since Goofus brought it up. Even with all the T-Shirt Buckeye Fans in this State, even the OSU Brass knows that here in Ohio, High School Football is big business(bigger than OSU is, no matter what they might say pubically) and was probably told they had to take at least one every three years, even if they know for a fact almost no one in Ohio will watch that night07-coffee3
11-03-2016 11:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(11-03-2016 11:09 AM)lance99 Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 10:04 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Hahahaha high schools also play games on saturday. I love how all the high school supporters come on here and cry how it's going to kill the game! Oh no, the state college had a single friday night game once every 2-3 years! How will our small town ever cope with this?!?!?!

It is not going to kill High School. We all know that, however this could backfire big time. I will use OSU as my example since Goofus brought it up. Even with all the T-Shirt Buckeye Fans in this State, even the OSU Brass knows that here in Ohio, High School Football is big business(bigger than OSU is, no matter what they might say pubically) and was probably told they had to take at least one every three years, even if they know for a fact almost no one in Ohio will watch that night07-coffee3

No, HS is not bigger than OSU in Ohio. HS football isn't bigger than UT or A&M in Texas just like U Texas isn't bigger than the Cowboys.
11-03-2016 11:29 AM
lance99 Offline
1st String

(11-03-2016 11:29 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

No, HS is not bigger than OSU in Ohio. HS football isn't bigger than UT or A&M in Texas just like U Texas isn't bigger than the Cowboys.

I am talking about Ohio, Not Texas(have no clue there). To say that is not is delusional. I guarantee you if OSU put a game on against Illinois on a Friday and fans across the State was given the choice of a Free High School game ticket, it is high School all day long.

The Football Culture here in Ohio outside of the Browns and the Bengals has always been High School First, then OSU. It is what it is no matter what you think07-coffee3
11-03-2016 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(11-03-2016 11:40 AM)lance99 Wrote:  

I am talking about Ohio, Not Texas(have no clue there). To say that is not is delusional. I guarantee you if OSU put a game on against Illinois on a Friday and fans across the State was given the choice of a Free High School game ticket, it is high School all day long.

The Football Culture here in Ohio outside of the Browns and the Bengals has always been High School First, then OSU. It is what it is no matter what you think07-coffee3

I disagree, since OSU is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. I also guarantee not every high school game is friday night and even when they have games on saturday afternoons those fans are taking OSU tickets when given the chance.

Hyperbole isn't fact. 07-coffee3
11-03-2016 11:45 AM
lance99 Offline
1st String

(11-03-2016 11:45 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 11:40 AM)lance99 Wrote:  

I disagree, since OSU is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. I also guarantee not every high school game is friday night and even when they have games on saturday afternoons those fans are taking OSU tickets when given the chance.

I know that HS plays Saturday here. There is a reason why the bulk play at 10a.m. if they wanted to watch any College Game. That is how I know you do not understand the FB Culture in this State. The Only HS game in this State that I know of that is "Locked" at 12pm or later is Massillion/ McKinley.

Second, We are NOT talking about OSU being a National Brand Financially. That is a Strawman argument. I am only talking about here in this State.

Third, I am stating facts! Live here in Northeast Ohio for a few years and you will see exactly what I am talking about...
11-03-2016 11:57 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(11-03-2016 11:45 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  I disagree, since OSU is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. I also guarantee not every high school game is friday night and even when they have games on saturday afternoons those fans are taking OSU tickets when given the chance.

I am curious, do you know this for a fact, or are you just assuming? I ask because, for example, in Indiana, IU is one the biggest BB bluebloods in the country. But it plays second fiddle to HS basketball in its own state. I know that one for fact.
11-03-2016 12:01 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(11-03-2016 12:01 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(11-03-2016 11:45 AM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  I disagree, since OSU is one of the most profitable football teams in the country. I also guarantee not every high school game is friday night and even when they have games on saturday afternoons those fans are taking OSU tickets when given the chance.

I am curious, do you know this for a fact, or are you just assuming? I ask because, for example, in Indiana, IU is one the biggest BB bluebloods in the country. But it plays second fiddle to HS basketball in its own state. I know that one for fact.

Are you sure you're not assuming that? Do IU games ticket sales take a hit when they play the same night as the local high school games? Is OSU not going to sell out if they play a Friday night game because the local high schools are going to siphon off a large enough chunk of people? I highly doubt that and just the argument that "High school football/basketball is too big" isn't a factual statement. There is a reason the sports high archy is high school < college < pro because thats actually how it is in the real world.
11-03-2016 12:11 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
If the metric is attendance, then no question the total attendance of HS games is higher than the one college game ...
11-03-2016 12:12 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Man it wasn't all that long ago that the NCHSAA banned ECU coaches from visiting schools because they dared to play a game on a Friday night. My how times change.
11-03-2016 12:16 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(11-03-2016 12:12 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  If the metric is attendance, then no question the total attendance of HS games is higher than the one college game ...

Thats a stupid metric to use because you could say MLS is more popular than OSU.
11-03-2016 12:18 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(11-03-2016 12:11 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

Are you sure you're not assuming that? Do IU games ticket sales take a hit when they play the same night as the local high school games? Is OSU not going to sell out if they play a Friday night game because the local high schools are going to siphon off a large enough chunk of people? I highly doubt that and just the argument that "High school football/basketball is too big" isn't a factual statement. There is a reason the sports high archy is high school < college < pro because thats actually how it is in the real world.

So you just answered my question. You are guessing.

I say that because I live in the area and I know it from personal experience in regards to HS basketball. Thus I am including to agree with Lance99, since you are showing you are using pure speculation, with no factual basis, to argue against someone who has seen it for themselves, and has experience in the matter.

As an outsider looking in, when you consider that OSU draws a large percentage of their home gate from outside of Columbus, I could see how going up on Friday night against local HS teams who are very popular (and with OSU likely playing a dog opponent), would make it hard for them to fill the stands. Likewise I can see how it would be hard for them to get strong ratings in their home market, because again, many people might be out at HS football games, as they traditionally are. Now I don't live in Ohio (But I do live about an hour away, so I am somewhat familiar with what he is talking about, but not enough to definitively say), but based on what I do know, I would be very much inclined to believe him, unless someone shows me proof otherwise.

I live in KY, and we do not have a major HS football culture, and even here Friday games do lose a bit, because of HS football. We actually have a fairly different crowd for weeknight games, where I'd say close to 10k people who come on the weeknight games, are not the people who are normally here on weekdays. But as most of our fans live within 25 minutes of the stadium, it is not a big deal. If you are dealing with people who drive in for 2+ hours, I can see how that is a problem: especially when they have something else they typically do at that time, which may be a higher priority to them.
11-03-2016 12:18 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(11-03-2016 12:18 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

So you just answered my question. You are guessing.

I say that because I live in the area and I know it from personal experience in regards to HS basketball. Thus I am including to agree with Lance99, since you are showing you are using pure speculation, with no factual basis, to argue against someone who has seen it for themselves, and has experience in the matter.

As an outsider looking in, when you consider that OSU draws a large percentage of their home gate from outside of Columbus, I could see how going up on Friday night against local HS teams who are very popular (and with OSU likely playing a dog opponent), would make it hard for them to fill the stands. Likewise I can see how it would be hard for them to get strong ratings in their home market, because again, many people might be out at HS football games, as they traditionally are. Now I don't live in Ohio (But I do live about an hour away, so I am somewhat familiar with what he is talking about, but not enough to definitively say), but based on what I do know, I would be very much inclined to believe him, unless someone shows me proof otherwise.

I live in KY, and we do not have a major HS football culture, and even here Friday games do lose a bit, because of HS football. We actually have a fairly different crowd for weeknight games, where I'd say close to 10k people who come on the weeknight games, are not the people who are normally here on weekdays. But as most of our fans live within 25 minutes of the stadium, it is not a big deal. If you are dealing with people who drive in for 2+ hours, I can see how that is a problem: especially when they have something else they typically do at that time, which may be a higher priority to them.

Thats all anecdotal, not factual.
11-03-2016 12:26 PM
lance99 Offline
1st String

Hold on.

If we are talking BB, IU may be the State School, but High School Dwarfs IU, and I had that verified by a friend of mine who went to high school there in that State.

If this list is still accurate, HS BB in Indiana curb stomps College in terms of popularly.

http://indianahsbasketball.homestead.com/files/gyms.htm

Sent from my Z987 using CSNbbs mobile app
11-03-2016 12:56 PM
Advertisement

RutgersGuy Offline
All American

(11-03-2016 12:56 PM)lance99 Wrote:  

Hold on.

If we are talking BB, IU may be the State School, but High School Dwarfs IU, and I had that verified by a friend of mine who went to high school there in that State.

If this list is still accurate, HS BB in Indiana curb stomps College in terms of popularly.

Don't really care enough to keep arguing. Just going to say if that were true college games would try to avoid high school games and we see more and more that that isn't the case and if talking BBall thats never been the case even in Indiana. Schools like Butler, IU, ND and Purdue do just fine with attendance.
11-03-2016 01:16 PM
bearcat2020 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(11-03-2016 01:16 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  

Hold on.

Don't really care enough to keep arguing. Just going to say if that were true college games would try to avoid high school games and we see more and more that that isn't the case and if talking BBall thats never been the case even in Indiana. Schools like Butler, IU, ND and Purdue do just fine with attendance.

To the man from akron which high school's are you referring to because at least half of northeast ohio cares more about osu then even the browns
11-03-2016 01:38 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(11-03-2016 01:16 PM)RutgersGuy Wrote:  Don't really care enough to keep arguing. Just going to say if that were true college games would try to avoid high school games and we see more and more that that isn't the case and if talking BBall thats never been the case even in Indiana. Schools like Butler, IU, ND and Purdue do just fine with attendance.

You are the one who started the argument. And you could not possibly be more wrong about HS BB in Indiana. I cannot speak for the HS FB in relationship to Ohio State, I just used it to prove how it could entirely be possible. And you proved how it is very accurate to state you are speaking about something you really don't know for sure, based on your comments in response to the HS BB argument. There are HS's in Indiana who average more people per game than Butler or ND, and that is in a down year. So if you are as far out of your element with the Ohio thing as you are here, again it is rather easy to believe Lance.
11-03-2016 02:03 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports

Hold on.

And there is no more credible source for such things than a friend who went to high school there.

Somehow, the idea that a school like Ohio State would be faced with a half empty stadium because of competition with high school football on a Friday night is a little hard for me to swallow. I'll believe it when I see it.
11-03-2016 02:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.