Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stumbling upon 15-team conference ideas...
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
My ideas and preferences on expansion have always focused on symmetrical conferences, so if you add a #15, logic dictates you have to add a #16 as well.

So when I was looking into expansion for the SEC, and following the new Big Xii format of no divisions, I stumbled upon interesting 15-team scenarios that create "scheduling pods"....and it works out quite well!

If the SEC solely added Oklahoma, you could have a fully functional conference that got rid of divisions and created flexable schedules for everyone involved. The SEC itself has become entirely lopsided in West vs. East. An example of the SEC setup is here:

http://csnbbs.com/thread-796558.html

I found this worked for the ACC as well if you added Cincinnati or West Virginia. The ACC could scrap divisions and go to 3 "scheduling pods":

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Wake Forest
NC State

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

Pitt
Louisville
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati

So a schedule for Georgia Tech could look like:
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida State
NC State
Pitt
Cincinnati

A team would play all teams in it's "Pod", and 2 teams of the other pods. 04-chairshot

It's also possible that you could create that format now, and leave #15 hanging out there...Sure seems like West Virginia/Cincinnati/UConn could complete the pods though
10-31-2016 03:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: Stumbling upon 15-team conference ideas...
http://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2016/1...-work.html

Coastal division with 8, Atlantic with 7 teams
Every Atlantic team plays 2 Coastal teams + 6 Atlantic = 8 games
Most Coastal teams play 2 Atlantic + 7 Coastal = 9 games
Two Coastal teams play 1 Atlantic + 6 Coastal teams once + each other twice = 1+6+2 = 9 games

This IS permitted under current NCAA rules.

Cross-over Pairs (my best guess):
Coastal - Atlantic
BC - Notre Dame
Duke - Ga Tech
Miami - FSU (duh!)
UNC - Wake Forest (duh!)
NC State - Clemson
Syracuse - Pittsburgh
Va Tech - Louisville
Virginia - 2nd game with a Coastal opponent
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2016 07:04 AM by Hokie Mark.)
10-31-2016 03:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
If we go to 15 then I would rather have 3 divisions of 5 or go division less.
10-31-2016 03:56 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Great idea...just tell Jim "The Snake" Delaney to play ball.
10-31-2016 04:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
With pods of 5, an 8 game conference schedule, the three pod winners playing an at large for a 4 way conference playoff championship I can assure the ACC already has it's 15th team.

The SEC and B10 have a hole to fill

What you are then looking at is collusion that settles at 60 schools.

The ACC's 15th is ND
The SEC's 15th OU
The P12's 13th, 14th and 15th
The B10's 15th are what would dangling.

To solve the Gordian knot, someone might need to move or want to move.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2016 05:10 PM by lumberpack4.)
10-31-2016 04:54 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
There will never be a 2-round conference championship, in my opinion. Any plan which has more than two divisions is a non-starter.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-31-2016 05:40 PM
Advertisement

lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(10-31-2016 05:40 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  There will never be a 2-round conference championship, in my opinion. Any plan which has more than two divisions is a non-starter.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using CSNbbs mobile app

16 teams playing an extra game - yea - never happen
10-31-2016 09:39 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
This setup breaks up Clemson-GT and NCST-UNC.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2016 10:50 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
10-31-2016 10:50 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
Back in 2014 I remember bringing this up as an option the ACC should explore believing that they were likely always going to hold a slot open for Notre Dame.

Then again in 2015 in the below thread, it was discussed again, with the meat of the discussion beginning on page 6.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-722300-page-6.html

However, both times I brought it up, it was on the assumption that the championship rule got changed, no longer requiring divisions. And while that rule did get changed somewhat it only mattered for the B12, since it only allows no divisions if each team plays every other team in the conference - something that is impossible with 15 team conferences. It was Delaney's and the B1G's way to potentially stick it to the ACC once again (although I don't believe they were thinking expansion to 15, but rather somehow working it out so ND had a chance to play for the football championship even though they only might have played 5 or 6 conference games).

So, since the rule didn't change significantly enough to allow for a realistic expansion to 15, it is what it is - for now.

Cheers,
Neil
11-01-2016 03:32 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-01-2016 03:32 AM)omniorange Wrote:  Back in 2014 I remember bringing this up as an option the ACC should explore believing that they were likely always going to hold a slot open for Notre Dame.

Then again in 2015 in the below thread, it was discussed again, with the meat of the discussion beginning on page 6.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-722300-page-6.html

However, both times I brought it up, it was on the assumption that the championship rule got changed, no longer requiring divisions. And while that rule did get changed somewhat it only mattered for the B12, since it only allows no divisions if each team plays every other team in the conference - something that is impossible with 15 team conferences. It was Delaney's and the B1G's way to potentially stick it to the ACC once again (although I don't believe they were thinking expansion to 15, but rather somehow working it out so ND had a chance to play for the football championship even though they only might have played 5 or 6 conference games).

So, since the rule didn't change significantly enough to allow for a realistic expansion to 15, it is what it is - for now.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil,
Your work on the 15 team conference schedule was great.

You know as well as I, that if Delany thought that the 15 team conference would benefit the B1G, we might vote it in tomorrow.
With shrinking revenue and viewership the conference media partners might start suggesting to the various conferences that fewer than 16 might be a more viable way to move forward.
11-01-2016 07:06 AM
JAE_VT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(10-31-2016 03:30 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  My ideas and preferences on expansion have always focused on symmetrical conferences, so if you add a #15, logic dictates you have to add a #16 as well.

So when I was looking into expansion for the SEC, and following the new Big Xii format of no divisions, I stumbled upon interesting 15-team scenarios that create "scheduling pods"....and it works out quite well!

If the SEC solely added Oklahoma, you could have a fully functional conference that got rid of divisions and created flexable schedules for everyone involved. The SEC itself has become entirely lopsided in West vs. East. An example of the SEC setup is here:

I found this worked for the ACC as well if you added Cincinnati or West Virginia. The ACC could scrap divisions and go to 3 "scheduling pods":

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Wake Forest
NC State

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

Pitt
Louisville
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida State
NC State
Pitt
Cincinnati

A team would play all teams in it's "Pod", and 2 teams of the other pods. 04-chairshot

It's also possible that you could create that format now, and leave #15 hanging out there...Sure seems like West Virginia/Cincinnati/UConn could complete the pods though

If these 15 team conferences want to host an NCAA sanctioned conference championship game, then they will need to be in two divisions. The ACC and SEC could always try to convince the Big-12, B1G and Pac-12 to vote for the new amendment, but until then, odd numbered conferences are no bueno. Same deal with the pod system that people are always coming-up with for conferences that grow to 16, 18, 20 teams.
11-01-2016 08:18 AM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(10-31-2016 04:54 PM)lumberpack4 Wrote:  With pods of 5, an 8 game conference schedule, the three pod winners playing an at large for a 4 way conference playoff championship I can assure the ACC already has it's 15th team.

The SEC and B10 have a hole to fill

What you are then looking at is collusion that settles at 60 schools.

The ACC's 15th is ND
The SEC's 15th OU
The P12's 13th, 14th and 15th
The B10's 15th are what would dangling.

To solve the Gordian knot, someone might need to move or want to move.

One way to do it:

SEC- Oklahoma & Oklahoma St
B1G- Missouri
ACC- ND
PAC- Texas, Kansas & Iowa St
11-01-2016 09:10 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2016 08:18 AM)JAE_VT Wrote:  
(10-31-2016 03:30 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  My ideas and preferences on expansion have always focused on symmetrical conferences, so if you add a #15, logic dictates you have to add a #16 as well.

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Wake Forest
NC State

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

Pitt
Louisville
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida State
NC State
Pitt
Cincinnati

If these 15 team conferences want to host an NCAA sanctioned conference championship game, then they will need to be in two divisions. The ACC and SEC could always try to convince the Big-12, B1G and Pac-12 to vote for the new amendment, but until then, odd numbered conferences are no bueno. Same deal with the pod system that people are always coming-up with for conferences that grow to 16, 18, 20 teams.

Actually you can make divisions out of pods so you could do them now.
11-01-2016 09:12 AM
JAE_VT Offline
Bench Warmer

(11-01-2016 09:12 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Wake Forest
NC State

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

Pitt
Louisville
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida State
NC State
Pitt
Cincinnati

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the NCAA website:
Under current rules, FBS conferences must have at least 12 members, and championship games must be between the winners of two divisions within the conference. Each division must play a round-robin schedule during the regular season in order to hold a championship game.

Council members adopted a proposal that originated with the Division I Football Oversight Committee but also approved an amendment from the Big Ten Conference. The amendment, offered by the Big Ten late last week, allows conferences with fewer than 12 members to hold championship games in football, as long as they meet one of two additional conditions: Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So please explain how the pod system would work within the requirements set-up by the NCAA.

I'd want VT to play more teams from the Atlantic Division as much as the next fan, but until the NCAA changes the rules, I'm not sure how the pod system would work.

Here is the link:
NCAA
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2016 09:34 AM by JAE_VT.)
11-01-2016 09:33 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
if ND joins, have uneven divisions, one with 7 and the other with 8. ND switches divisions every year. the 8 team division plays 9 games, the 7 team division plays 8 games. nightmarish scheduling, but an interesting option nonetheless.
11-01-2016 10:10 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2016 09:33 AM)JAE_VT Wrote:  

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Wake Forest
NC State

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

Pitt
Louisville
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida State
NC State
Pitt
Cincinnati

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the NCAA website:
Under current rules, FBS conferences must have at least 12 members, and championship games must be between the winners of two divisions within the conference. Each division must play a round-robin schedule during the regular season in order to hold a championship game.

Council members adopted a proposal that originated with the Division I Football Oversight Committee but also approved an amendment from the Big Ten Conference. The amendment, offered by the Big Ten late last week, allows conferences with fewer than 12 members to hold championship games in football, as long as they meet one of two additional conditions: Conferences that want to play championship games must either play their championship game between division winners after round-robin competition in each division or between the top two teams in the conference standings following full round-robin, regular-season competition between all members of the conference.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So please explain how the pod system would work within the requirements set-up by the NCAA.

I'd want VT to play more teams from the Atlantic Division as much as the next fan, but until the NCAA changes the rules, I'm not sure how the pod system would work.

Here is the link:
NCAA

Pods can follow those rules by putting two pods together & making two divisions. The rules don't say that you most have the same teams in each division every year.

For example:
Pod 1: FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami
Pod 2: NC, Duke, Virginia, NC St
Pod 3: ND, Pitt, Cuse, BC
Pod 4: UL, VT, Cincy, WF

Year 1 divisions would be:
Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 2
Pod 3 Pod 4

Year 2
Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 3
Pod 2 Pod 4

Year 3
Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 2
Pod 4 Pod 3

If you have 18 then you would have 2 pods of 5 & 2 pods of 4. You would rotate the two pods of 4 so that the 2 pods of 5 would never be in the same division.

You need an even number of teams but there isn't a rule that disallows rearranging divisional makeup. Even in a 20 team conference you are guaranteed to play everyone in 3 years, 4 years max depending on setup.
11-01-2016 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2016 10:10 AM)ren.hoek Wrote:  if ND joins, have uneven divisions, one with 7 and the other with 8. ND switches divisions every year. the 8 team division plays 9 games, the 7 team division plays 8 games. nightmarish scheduling, but an interesting option nonetheless.

This would work under the rules as well but probably not ideal.
11-01-2016 10:14 AM
JAE_VT Offline
Bench Warmer

Toungue RE: Stumbling upon 15-team conference ideas...
(11-01-2016 10:10 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Wake Forest
NC State

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

Pitt
Louisville
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida State
NC State
Pitt
Cincinnati

From the NCAA website:

Here is the link:
NCAA

Pods can follow those rules by putting two pods together & making two divisions. The rules don't say that you most have the same teams in each division every year.

For example:

Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 2
Pod 3 Pod 4

Year 2
Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 3
Pod 2 Pod 4

Year 3
Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 2
Pod 4 Pod 3

If you have 18 then you would have 2 pods of 5 & 2 pods of 4. You would rotate the two pods of 4 so that the 2 pods of 5 would never be in the same division.

You need an even number of teams but there isn't a rule that disallows rearranging divisional makeup. Even in a 20 team conference you are guaranteed to play everyone in 3 years, 4 years max depending on setup.

Well, my head is spinning from reading your idea 03-drunk, but it could work. Thanks for the reply.
11-01-2016 10:39 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(11-01-2016 10:39 AM)JAE_VT Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 10:10 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(11-01-2016 08:18 AM)JAE_VT Wrote:  If these 15 team conferences want to host an NCAA sanctioned conference championship game, then they will need to be in two divisions. The ACC and SEC could always try to convince the Big-12, B1G and Pac-12 to vote for the new amendment, but until then, odd numbered conferences are no bueno. Same deal with the pod system that people are always coming-up with for conferences that grow to 16, 18, 20 teams.

From the NCAA website:

Here is the link:
NCAA

For example:

Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 2
Pod 3 Pod 4

Year 2
Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 3
Pod 2 Pod 4

Year 3
Division 1 Division 2
Pod 1 Pod 2
Pod 4 Pod 3

Well, my head is spinning from reading your idea 03-drunk, but it could work. Thanks for the reply.

It's really quite simple actually but certainly not traditional. I'm not the one of who thought of it, just saying that it works.
11-01-2016 12:04 PM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

Florida State
Miami
Clemson
Wake Forest
NC State

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

Pitt
Louisville
Syracuse
Boston College
Cincinnati

North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Florida State
NC State
Pitt
Cincinnati

From the NCAA website:

Here is the link:
NCAA

It doesn't work under the current rules. That's the point. But rules change all the time. The three pods with a wild card creates the most excitement in all the conferences. Three schools get to hang a POD banner, an at large has a chance to make the playoff. All it adds is one game for 16 schools.

Imagine the following:

B10 East Ohio State hosts wild card Wisconsin
B10 Central Michigan hosts Nebraska

OSU and UM meet in an epic title game

ACC NW Notre Dame hosts ACC Central VT
ACC SW FSU hosts wild card Clemson

ND and Clemson meet in epic title game

SEC West Oklahoma hosts Wild Card Florida
SEC South Alabama hosts SEC East Georgia

OU and Bama meet in epic title game

Pac 15 Rockies Texas hosts Wild Card Stanford
Pac 15 North Washington host Pac 15 South UCLA

Texas and Washington meet in epic title game

Winners get auto bid to playoff - Say Michigan, Clemson, Alabama, and Washington.

It just takes the placement of 5 schools to make this happen and a rule change, but along the way, I would expect some schools to possibly change conferences for a number of reasons such as fit, TAMU disease, an profit maximization. Mizzou, Colorado, GT, NC State, Vandy, and Purdue come to mind, although none may move. Because of the collusion needed to go to four conferences of 15 and deliver 3 pods, this final bit of collusion is not out of the question. Final movers would see themselves as outsiders as Maryland saw the ACC and TAMU and Nebraska saw the B12.
11-01-2016 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.