Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enlighten me!
Bookmark and Share
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Enlighten me!
https://soundcloud.com/thegreat5/week-9-...-ever-show

A G5 podcast needs more C-USA talk...so what am I missing?
10-30-2016 11:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LouisvilleHilltopper Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
RE: Enlighten me!
LaTech (west division) and WKU (east division) are the top of the conference right now. They both have prolific offenses. LaTech won the head to head matchup 55-52.

WKU's other two losses are to Alabama (38-10) and Vanderbilt (31-30 in OT)
LaTech's losses are to Arkansas (21-20), Texas Tech (59-45), and MTSU (38-34)

Southern Miss also has a chance to win the west. They play LaTech the last game of the regular season.

If WKU loses another game (FIU, UNT, @Marshall remaining), then MTSU is likely to represent the east.

Biggest surprise/letdown of the season is Marshall. They're 2-6 with their wins coming against Morgan St and FAU.

Overall, A LOT of offense being played. Not much defense. Poor OOC performance with several close losses (i.e. LaTech against Arkansas and WKU against Vanderbilt). There's also a huge disparity between the top of the conference (LaTech, WKU, MTSU, Southern Miss) and the rest.
10-30-2016 11:46 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Good summary. Some added comments:

USM has #16 total defense in the country and played 2 SEC schools (LSU, UK). Not much else in conference happening on D.

La Tech (#5), MTSU (#7), WKU (#11), USM (#22) in country for total offense. Not much else in conference happening on O.
10-31-2016 08:06 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-31-2016 08:06 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Good summary. Some added comments:

USM has #16 total defense in the country and played 2 SEC schools (LSU, UK). Not much else in conference happening on D.

La Tech (#5), MTSU (#7), WKU (#11), USM (#22) in country for total offense. Not much else in conference happening on O.

USM's #16 Total defense coupled with #122 in TO Margin and #68 in scoring defense tells me that you're giving up good field position to your opponents
10-31-2016 08:18 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(10-31-2016 08:18 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

USM's #16 Total defense coupled with #122 in TO Margin and #68 in scoring defense tells me that you're giving up good field position to your opponents

Indeed.

And that #16 ranking is misleading. We gave up 55 points to UTSA, 45 to LSU, 37 to Troy, 35 to UK, etc.

We've given up more plays over 40 yards this season than I've ever seen before.

Not saying our defense is the worst, because it isn't. But it's average at best. And we turn the ball over a lot. Honestly, we are just a very sloppy football team that hasn't put together a good 4-quarter performance all season (Savannah St. doesn't count).

Played a good 2nd half at Kentucky, played a good 4th quarter against Troy, played a good first half at LSU, played 4 of the worst quarters I've ever seen at UTSA, gained 700 yards against Rice yet only won by 16, played a sloppy-ass game against Marshall, let UTEP hang around for too long.......
10-31-2016 08:48 AM
Eagleholic Offline
1st String

(10-31-2016 08:48 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  
(10-31-2016 08:18 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Indeed.

And that #16 ranking is misleading. We gave up 55 points to UTSA, 45 to LSU, 37 to Troy, 35 to UK, etc.

We've given up more plays over 40 yards this season than I've ever seen before.

Not saying our defense is the worst, because it isn't. But it's average at best. And we turn the ball over a lot. Honestly, we are just a very sloppy football team that hasn't put together a good 4-quarter performance all season (Savannah St. doesn't count).

Played a good 2nd half at Kentucky, played a good 4th quarter against Troy, played a good first half at LSU, played 4 of the worst quarters I've ever seen at UTSA, gained 700 yards against Rice yet only won by 16, played a sloppy-ass game against Marshall, let UTEP hang around for too long.......

The potential is there. The coaches just have not been able to get it to all come together yet. Still hopeful, but that hope is slowly fading.
10-31-2016 08:53 AM
Advertisement

Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(10-30-2016 11:46 PM)LouisvilleHilltopper Wrote:  LaTech (west division) and WKU (east division) are the top of the conference right now. They both have prolific offenses. LaTech won the head to head matchup 55-52.

WKU's other two losses are to Alabama (38-10) and Vanderbilt (31-30 in OT)
LaTech's losses are to Arkansas (21-20), Texas Tech (59-45), and MTSU (38-34)

Southern Miss also has a chance to win the west. They play LaTech the last game of the regular season.

If WKU loses another game (FIU, UNT, @Marshall remaining), then MTSU is likely to represent the east.

Biggest surprise/letdown of the season is Marshall. They're 2-6 with their wins coming against Morgan St and FAU.

Overall, A LOT of offense being played. Not much defense. Poor OOC performance with several close losses (i.e. LaTech against Arkansas and WKU against Vanderbilt). There's also a huge disparity between the top of the conference (LaTech, WKU, MTSU, Southern Miss) and the rest.

I agree for the most part. But every team could have a game where the team doesn't show up to play and everything goes wrong. See Tech last year against USM.

Sagarin:
WKU 51
Tech 68
MTSU 72
USM 87

ODU 114
Marshall 123
UTSA 129
UNT 130
10-31-2016 09:50 AM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
Charlotte's Larry Ogunjobi is a great human interest story. Son of Nigerian immigrants, started playing football at a sophomore because his mom thought he was playing video games too much. Double major in computer science and biology. Wants to be a doctor. Came to Charlotte as it was his only offer. Might play in the NFL next season.
10-31-2016 09:58 AM
Dawgxas Offline
#FreeDeb025

(10-31-2016 09:58 AM)Tintin Wrote:  Charlotte's Larry Ogunjobi is a great human interest story. Son of Nigerian immigrants, started playing football at a sophomore because his mom thought he was playing video games too much. Double major in computer science and biology. Wants to be a doctor. Came to Charlotte as it was his only offer. Might play in the NFL next season.

Good stuff
10-31-2016 10:08 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

[b]USM has #16 total defense in the country and played 2 SEC schools (LSU, UK). Not much else in conference happening on D.[/b]

Very misleading stat and I don;t see how it could be TOTAL defense when S. Miss is only 6th in the conference in yards per play. But total yards given up is correct #18. S. Miss seems to be playing a lot and I mean a LOT slower this year. So that limits the number of plays your defense will have to make.

There's a few quick strike offenses in this conference that affects a few others...Tech, Western, Middle scores quick...

yet Western's (73.6 plays pg) defense is only 62 yards a game being S. Miss (54.5 plays pg)

As for not anyone else doing much on defense...

Western leads the conference in points per game allowed 26.1
Western leads the conference and #8 nationally in yards per carry allowed 3.1

S. Miss has played some really weak passing teams this year.....the eastern part of the conference is more pass happy. And Western and Middle also played Tech...the #1 passing team in the conference...with Western and Middle being 1a and 1aa
10-31-2016 10:20 AM
MT FAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Middle Tennesse
North Texas had the best defense in the conference as of late.
10-31-2016 11:13 AM
Advertisement

T_Won1 Offline
All American

(10-31-2016 10:20 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

[b]USM has #16 total defense in the country and played 2 SEC schools (LSU, UK). Not much else in conference happening on D.[/b]

Very misleading stat and I don;t see how it could be TOTAL defense when S. Miss is only 6th in the conference in yards per play. But total yards given up is correct #18. S. Miss seems to be playing a lot and I mean a LOT slower this year. So that limits the number of plays your defense will have to make.

There's a few quick strike offenses in this conference that affects a few others...Tech, Western, Middle scores quick...

yet Western's (73.6 plays pg) defense is only 62 yards a game being S. Miss (54.5 plays pg)

S. Miss has played some really weak passing teams this year.....the eastern part of the conference is more pass happy. And Western and Middle also played Tech...the #1 passing team in the conference...with Western and Middle being 1a and 1aa

And Tech played WKU, MT, and Texas Tech. All 3 are Top 10 passing offenses in the country. (or is that because they played Tech? 03-lmfao)
10-31-2016 11:21 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I don't see your point about YPP factoring into total defense. Total defense is measured by YPG. That is why we are ranked so high because our opponents drives start from great field position. And yes, it is a misleading stat, but nevertheless it is a stat used often (like by the TV announcers during the USM/MU game).
10-31-2016 11:42 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(10-31-2016 11:13 AM)MT FAN Wrote:  North Texas had the best defense in the conference as of late.

North Texas is ranked 64 in total D. They are giving up 403 YPG.

MTSU is at 95 and giving up 440 YPG.
10-31-2016 11:49 AM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(10-31-2016 11:42 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  

I don't see your point about YPP factoring into total defense. Total defense is measured by YPG. That is why we are ranked so high because our opponents drives start from great field position. And yes, it is a misleading stat, but nevertheless it is a stat used often (like by the TV announcers during the USM/MU game).

It's not total defense (and yes I see it listed that way) it;s YPG...

one part of a defense that overall is really not that important in a ranking scale on defense I would think and probably most coaches think...

1. ppg
2. ypp

would top the list

But my point was this...

you acting like S. Miss has the only defensive that is really worth talking about. As I pointed out...if you olny want to look at one part of the defense. There are others that are ranked higher.
10-31-2016 11:54 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

(10-31-2016 11:54 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(10-31-2016 11:42 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  

It's not total defense (and yes I see it listed that way) it;s YPG...

one part of a defense that overall is really not that important in a ranking scale on defense I would think and probably most coaches think...

1. ppg
2. ypp

would top the list

But my point was this...

you acting like S. Miss has the only defensive that is really worth talking about. As I pointed out...if you olny want to look at one part of the defense. There are others that are ranked higher.

I would say most coaches care more about points allowed vs. ypp. Yes, there are multiple components of a defense, just like an offense... like rushing. WKU is 85th in rushing and USM 47th, but WKU has a better offense than USM. I get it.

Looks like no one in this conference has a defense worth talking about.
10-31-2016 12:15 PM
Advertisement

WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I think outside of the very top defensive's in college football...

there's not a lot to talk about.

Most schools have weakness in one area or another and it shows week to week. That's not just CUSA but all conferences and most of the schools in them.

Case in point...by all accounts Clemson has a really good defense and so does UofL. You could not tell that in the last 3 or 4 drives in their game. Same thing this past Saturday...

Fls St ran all over Clemson and both teams moved the ball unstoppable in the last few drives.

Only a very few teams dominate on defense. So CUSA is really not much different than most conference. Most schools have a weakness in at least one area on defense.
10-31-2016 12:32 PM
eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
Enlighten me!
Well, it all started 6 beeelion years ago with the Big Bang (Not the TV series)!
Then dinosaurs ruled
Then Ape-Men
Then there was a Constitution
Then two world wars
Then the Berlin wall fell
Now we may go backwards for the first time and elect one of those Ape-Men..03-lmfao

There, you've been enlightened 04-cheers
10-31-2016 04:59 PM
BRtransplant Offline
1st String

I Root For: La Tech
(10-31-2016 04:59 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Well, it all started 6 beeelion years ago with the Big Bang (Not the TV series)!
Then dinosaurs ruled
Then Ape-Men
Then two world wars
Now we may go backwards for the first time and elect one of those Ape-Men..03-lmfao

Trump!!!!!!!!
10-31-2016 06:57 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(10-31-2016 04:59 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  Well, it all started 6 beeelion years ago with the Big Bang (Not the TV series)!
Then dinosaurs ruled
Then Ape-Men
Then two world wars

But the dinosaurs got too big and fat and died and turned into oil so the Arabs could buy Mercedees'!
10-31-2016 07:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.