Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

A bit of perspective (or reality if you prefer it that way)
Bookmark and Share
bmcgee81 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
A bit of perspective (or reality if you prefer it that way)
1. We lost a first round draft pick QB (The guy that's gonna replace him probably won't be as good)
2. Norvell is not only young but just replaced the most successful coach in our program (once again probably not going to be as good...at least in the first year)
3. Our defense sucked last year (same guys with a new DC probably still ain't going to completely fix a bad defense)
4. We are coming off the best season in modern history (once again probably not going to match that this year)
5. Taking all these things into perspective we have lost against Ole Miss and Navy who are both better than us and Tulsa who is proving right now that they are just better than us. THESE ARE NOT BAD TEAMS. It is not like we are losing to teams who suck. Navy and Ole Miss were in the top 25 when we lost to them and Tulsa is 5-2 with their losses also coming against top 25 foes.

Let's give it another year before we panic.
10-29-2016 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UMTiger02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers & Uggla
RE: A bit of perspective (or reality if you prefer it that way)
Yup
10-29-2016 10:57 PM
cscottl1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
How we lost is discouraging. Penalties, turnovers, dropped balls. It was a big mess. They haven't looked that bad all season so hopefully we can forget that 1 and move on.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2016 11:00 PM by cscottl1981.)
10-29-2016 11:00 PM
muffinman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis State
No more early bye weeks.

Norvell still has a bunch to learn, but he does have potential. It worked for Western Michigan with PJ Fleck, maybe it will work for us too.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2016 11:05 PM by muffinman.)
10-29-2016 11:05 PM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I am just concerned that we will lose the momentum we gained the previous two seasons. Tonight, it was a step backwards.
How many yards and points did we give up?
Were we playing the Patriots?
Sh-t!
10-29-2016 11:10 PM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

The biggest solace for me is there was no P5 expansion that we missed out on. So while consistency is still urgent, there is *some* time to get it in gear and emerge as the cream of the G5 crop. Which, no mistake about it, we must do.
10-29-2016 11:12 PM
Advertisement

ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
I like Norvell. He's a very good offensive coach and offensive coaches have tended to fare better than good defensive coaches in the last decade or so. I like his presence on the sidelines. 37k in the crowd is pretty darn impressive as well.

If we go to a bowl game this year, that will be 3 in a row and that's going to tie our record for most consecutive bowls. And, I expect us to be better next year, meaning 4 consecutive bowl games....which really strengthens our story that we are a legitimate program.

I think that if we go to a bowl game this year, selling season tix for next year will be quite easy. Ferguson to Miller, Ferguson to Miller....air raid.
10-29-2016 11:34 PM
BigDye1976 Offline
Bench Warmer

Why did we not play our best players tonight? We played the 3rd running back alot. Did something happen? Defense was not bad, when they lined up correctly. But putting 5 def players in the box alot all night is why we could not stop a simple dive all night long:( Our team gave up mid way thru the 4th. Why did we play our first string on the last 2 drives when we were trying to run out the clock? Or are Henderson and Dorceus now the 2nd and 3rd RB? And yes Tulsa is better than us when we self destruct on offense. Doesnt seem like we are putting our players in the best situations to do good on defense right now. They seem confused and out of place alot and are catching and reading alot. The scheme we are running seems wrong for the players we have after the first team guys, Or is White the glue that held us together?
10-29-2016 11:42 PM
JhanJo Offline
1st String

(10-29-2016 11:00 PM)cscottl1981 Wrote:  How we lost is discouraging. Penalties, turnovers, dropped balls. It was a big mess. They haven't looked that bad all season so hopefully we can forget that 1 and move on.

This sums up my feelings. It's one thing to get whipped but the mental mistakes, especially penalties were difficult to swallow.

While watching the navy game I thought wow, Navy is really good at what they do. After tonight and watching another teams running backs gash us, I'm thinking its a matter of we are bad at what we do.
10-29-2016 11:46 PM
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

They can't catch and this team is not coached well
10-30-2016 12:28 AM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-29-2016 10:53 PM)bmcgee81 Wrote:  1. We lost a first round draft pick QB (The guy that's gonna replace him probably won't be as good)
2. Norvell is not only young but just replaced the most successful coach in our program (once again probably not going to be as good...at least in the first year)
3. Our defense sucked last year (same guys with a new DC probably still ain't going to completely fix a bad defense)
4. We are coming off the best season in modern history (once again probably not going to match that this year)
5. Taking all these things into perspective we have lost against Ole Miss and Navy who are both better than us and Tulsa who is proving right now that they are just better than us. THESE ARE NOT BAD TEAMS. It is not like we are losing to teams who suck. Navy and Ole Miss were in the top 25 when we lost to them and Tulsa is 5-2 with their losses also coming against top 25 foes.

Let's give it another year before we panic.

Well ............. that just makes too much sense + the injuries & depth problems.

What I've experienced in sports is that there will be games where you just have a feeling early on that not much will go right.

I had that feeling during our 1st offensive series.

10-30-2016 12:37 AM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
Our receivers' hands just didn't work.
10-30-2016 12:39 AM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
Who's in a panic?

We're 5-3 (2-2) and still have four shots to get bowl eligible with a new QB and first year HC.

I'm not in a panic, I'm thrilled in general terms. The loss was disappointing, but I think there are some big things in Memphis FB's future. I really like the early returns from Norvell. I think we're going to be a consistent force in the future.

Tonight sucked, but too many positives in general to get discouraged.

Next week!
10-30-2016 01:00 AM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
No panic here. We are most assuredly not going backwards. We had an off game, and we are banged up. We are missing Craft, White, Nelson (who was our best defensive player), and others, and now Mayhue. I love the young players we are rotating in, Pop Williams, Ty Northern, and watching our Specials Teams. Pennington and Harden played very well tonight, and Elliott. Hall and Miller continue to play really well.

There is a lot to love about this team, and we have a bright future with out coach.
10-30-2016 01:28 AM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
(10-30-2016 01:28 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  No panic here. We are most assuredly not going backwards. We had an off game, and we are banged up. We are missing Craft, White, Nelson (who was our best defensive player), and others, and now Mayhue. I love the young players we are rotating in, Pop Williams, Ty Northern, and watching our Specials Teams. Pennington and Harden played very well tonight, and Elliott. Hall and Miller continue to play really well.

There is a lot to love about this team, and we have a bright future with out coach.

Hell yeah.
10-30-2016 01:48 AM
blutgr39 Offline
Special Teams

I agree with all the first year stuff but that looked like a Larry Porter defense tonite. I just got home from the game and I am still shaking my head. We REALLY need to recruit some defensive players. I have watched the Tigers since the 60's and what I saw in the Navy game n tonite says to me we need lots of help on the D side of the game. Yes we are banged up but so is everyone by this time of the year. Give Tulsa lots of credit great schemes.
10-30-2016 02:48 AM
Advertisement

bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
The defense quit, the QB threw his RB under the bus after a fumble fest, the WRs dropped critical passes... what's not to love?
10-30-2016 05:37 AM
innman Offline
1st String

I am not sure there is a winnable game left on our schedule the way we play. I sure don't ant to hear from Norvel how we are getting better and it is just adjustments that need to be made. We need defensive players that can play and an offensive line.
10-30-2016 06:25 AM
holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I think we'll get two more wins. Maybe one, maybe three.

Tulsa is on a hot streak. We're not.

Flanders ran all over us for a gazillion yards. But Anthony Miller had 250 yards receiving.

Their QB is experienced, and it showed. Our is not, and it showed. But when he got time to deliver a pass, it was almost always catchable.

We ain't got the hosses up front. We knew that coming into the season.

We're a far cry from where we were a few years ago, and we're NOBODY'S easy out anymore.

Patience, Grasshopper(s).
10-30-2016 07:12 AM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
We need Dudes who can catch the BALL
10-30-2016 07:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.