Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gonzaga to the Big East yesterday...
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Gonzaga to the Big East yesterday...
That's when it should have happened.

The travel and expenses are exaggerated. Only a few sports do home and homes and the Zags would travel east of Lake Michigan rarely, especially if Dayton isn't the hypothetical 12th.
10-25-2016 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
RE: Gonzaga to the Big East yesterday...
Volleyball, tennis, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball. Baseball and softball for weekends, maybe a full week at times.
10-25-2016 12:29 PM
HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU
Have a Big East west division
I like the WCC, but wouldn't fault them at all. Have a Big East west division (now where have we heard that before?)

Take a collection of 6-8 western teams with decent basketball and Olympic sports. All those people who want the WAC to come alive again can rejoice at yet another shot at a D1 football conference comprised of Big East teams that need a place for football.

But, you have to have enough local teams to make it worth it financially. Gonzaga, BYU, St. Mary's, and who else?

Pull Creighton into the west, combine with Witchita St., and St. Louis. Do you combine with big state schools like SDSU and UNLV - provided they can keep football in the MWC?

You basically have to have a legit conference in the east and in the west. Fun if it would happen, but hard to do.
10-25-2016 12:42 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I could see a BE/WCC scheduling alliance, but I definitely cannot see a full-membership.
10-25-2016 12:46 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(10-25-2016 12:42 PM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  I like the WCC, but wouldn't fault them at all. Have a Big East west division (now where have we heard that before?)

Take a collection of 6-8 western teams with decent basketball and Olympic sports. All those people who want the WAC to come alive again can rejoice at yet another shot at a D1 football conference comprised of Big East teams that need a place for football.

But, you have to have enough local teams to make it worth it financially. Gonzaga, BYU, St. Mary's, and who else?

Pull Creighton into the west, combine with Witchita St., and St. Louis. Do you combine with big state schools like SDSU and UNLV - provided they can keep football in the MWC?

You basically have to have a legit conference in the east and in the west. Fun if it would happen, but hard to do.

Xavier, Butler, DePaul, and Marquette would have to be western teams as well as Creighton. What seems to be proposed here is three divisions.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2016 12:53 PM by NoDak.)
10-25-2016 12:52 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
Yeah, it seems to me if they thought it was possible they would have done it not just yesterday but 3 years ago. Like the saying goes, if it makes dollars it makes sense.
10-25-2016 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(10-25-2016 12:29 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Volleyball, tennis, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's basketball. Baseball and softball for weekends, maybe a full week at times.

Gonzaga doesn't sponsor softball and it appears that the Big East doesn't have regular-season tennis matches; they just do the tournament. So that's six sports. It'd take some doing, but the increase in TV revenue would pay for it pretty quickly, I'd think.
10-25-2016 12:58 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Are there enough "Gonzaga level" bball program schools, that don't have FBS football, to make a A10 or Big East equivalent in the west? Taking teams from basically any DI conference in the west except MWC and PAC.
10-25-2016 01:01 PM
TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
When did Gonzaga's campus move to Detroit? That's the only way they are getting in.
10-25-2016 01:08 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Or to put another way:

if you took the average RPI over the last 5 seasons, and took the top 10 schools in the Pacific and Mountain timezones that did not have FBS football, it would be Gonzaga plus who else?

St Mary's, Long Beach St, .... ???

NM St with FCS move down I think would work. And it should be ok to include BYU, since their football does its own thing.
10-25-2016 01:16 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Gonzaga to the Big Xii!!!
10-25-2016 01:39 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(10-25-2016 12:42 PM)HawkeyeCoug Wrote:  I like the WCC, but wouldn't fault them at all. Have a Big East west division (now where have we heard that before?)

You wouldn't need more western teams, the Zags wouldn't travel more than the typical AAC team, especially the east coast teams. Baseball could be a burden but the rest of the travel and expenses are overstated.
10-25-2016 02:17 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa

I'd imagine Denver and Seattle would be interested in that.
10-25-2016 02:24 PM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Unless it's a 24 team big east with a east, central and western set of8 teams divisions doesn't make much sense
10-25-2016 02:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-25-2016 12:12 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  That's when it should have happened.

The travel and expenses are exaggerated. Only a few sports do home and homes and the Zags would travel east of Lake Michigan rarely, especially if Dayton isn't the hypothetical 12th.

Why? They are doing fine where they are at.

The Big East is doing fine without them.
10-25-2016 03:17 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

And to those who think it's far fetched or illogical, just how many close games does UConn have in the AAC? Temple and..? Navy is football only and even they are in the other division, playing schools thousands of miles away from Maryland.

As I said, baseball is a hassle but in basketball they'd only play 3-4 games east of Indianapolis per year in the nBE (we're talking 8 home games, 5 intradivision road games and 3 interdivisional road games), plus non-conference play and the BETournament.

Would they be doing all that much more traveling than UConn or Notre Dame in the AAC and ACC?
10-25-2016 03:24 PM
Advertisement

HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

(10-25-2016 03:17 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Looks like I didn't add my numbers right. How is this for a Big East olympic sports conference:

Add UConn in the East to make 10.
Put Creighton, Gonzaga, BYU, St Mary, Wichita St., UNLV, SDSU, and 3 more west/midwest programs to make 10 in the west.

20 team superconference for Olympic sports only. Divisional play would limit crossover travel expenses. You would basically destroy the olympic sports power of the remaining conferences, locking in the Big East as a rival to the P5 conferences. You would lock up a bunch of TV rights, and probably be able to have a conference network (if those are still valuable). You would still have the Eastern rivals and TV markets, while adding the best remaining properties in the west.

While I think something like this could work on paper, no way you could get all those schools to cooperate, even if they were making more money. The only reason I would even bring up such a thing is that previously the Big East (all sports version) made a play for SDSU, Boise, and BYU. Though it fell through for football, an olympic sports conference may stand a chance - though a 1 in a million one.
10-25-2016 03:29 PM
HawkeyeCoug Offline
2nd String

(10-25-2016 02:24 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  I'd imagine Denver and Seattle would be interested in that.

Denver is an interesting case, as the wikipedia page says that they are not only in the Big East for Lacrosse, they are three time regular season champs. Who would have guessed?

04-jawdrop
10-25-2016 03:33 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(10-25-2016 03:17 PM)bullet Wrote:  

They are now but what if BYU gets picked up by a bigger conference? What happens when St. Mary's declines (all they have is a good coach with an excellent recruiting system)? When the Zags decline (no one is immune, it's inevitable for everyone without an endless cash flow like Kentucky), they could be stuck right back where they were in 1998 before their run began. At least if they hop conferences while they're still hot, they'll be propped up by their conference mates if they ever unravel.

They both would benefit with each other. If nothing else, my main point is that geography and travel expenses are overrated in this argument and shouldn't be used as a deterrent for either side.
10-25-2016 03:36 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(10-25-2016 03:24 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  And to those who think it's far fetched or illogical, just how many close games does UConn have in the AAC? Temple and..? Navy is football only and even they are in the other division, playing schools thousands of miles away from Maryland.

As I said, baseball is a hassle but in basketball they'd only play 3-4 games east of Indianapolis per year in the nBE (we're talking 8 home games, 5 intradivision road games and 3 interdivisional road games), plus non-conference play and the BETournament.

Would they be doing all that much more traveling than UConn or Notre Dame in the AAC and ACC?

UConn HAS to travel that far. Given the option they wouldn't. The Big East has the option, they don't need the Zags to survive.

One more thing, no way they decide to ever go to divisions. The 16 team Big East didn't have divisions, no way Creighton gives up games in the eastern cities to play Gonzaga.

NO ONE HAS DIVISIONS ANYMORE BESIDES OVC AND THE MAC!
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2016 05:18 PM by RutgersGuy.)
10-25-2016 05:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.