Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AT&T to buy HBO, CNN, and Time Warner. Gross.
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
AT&T to buy HBO, CNN, and Time Warner. Gross.
I wish I were joking. This means AT&T is getting everything from DC Marvel to Game of Thrones.

I'm sure AT&T will compete hard against itself in the many areas where it now owns the cable company AND the phone company. And by compete hard I mean of course stagnate and slowly increase prices. And yes while AT&T is not technically getting the Time Warner cable TV unit, it is getting a **** load of content that Time Warner cable TV more or less MUST buy for customers. So why they may not be at the rudder of the ship, like barnacles they cling on and still change the direction of the ship.

It's hideous corporate behemoths like this -- born of the regulatory state and forever cheerleading it as one of the few organizations who can afford it -- that give me the Teddy Roosevelt trust-busting itch.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/22/13366...ime-warner
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016 04:37 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
10-23-2016 04:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: AT&T to buy HBO, CNN, and Time Warner. Gross.
(10-23-2016 04:35 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I wish I were joking. This means AT&T is getting everything from DC Marvel to Game of Thrones.

I'm sure AT&T will compete hard against itself in the many areas where it now owns the cable company AND the phone company. And by compete hard I mean of course stagnate and slowly increase prices. And yes while AT&T is not technically getting the Time Warner cable TV unit, it is getting a **** load of content that Time Warner cable TV more or less MUST buy for customers. So why they may not be at the rudder of the ship, like barnacles they cling on and still change the direction of the ship.

It's hideous corporate behemoths like this -- born of the regulatory state and forever cheerleading it as one of the few organizations who can afford it -- that give me the Teddy Roosevelt trust-busting itch.

Trump has come out strong against this. I wonder if Clinton will take a public position
10-23-2016 05:56 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-23-2016 05:56 AM)solohawks Wrote:  
(10-23-2016 04:35 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  I wish I were joking. This means AT&T is getting everything from DC Marvel to Game of Thrones.

Trump has come out strong against this. I wonder if Clinton will take a public position

Find out who is contributing to her and that would give you the answer.
10-23-2016 08:31 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(10-23-2016 08:31 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Find out who is contributing to her and that would give you the answer.

AT&T's Top Lobbyist Backs Hillary Clinton
10-23-2016 10:17 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Break 'em up!
10-23-2016 10:19 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
TWC has literally nothing to do with this. It was purchased by Charter in May, 2016.

Here is a blurb from the Wikipedia entry for Time Warner Inc, the company being purchased:

Quote:Time Warner was formed in 1990 through the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications. The current company consists largely of the assets of the former Warner Communications, as well as HBO (a Time Inc. subsidiary prior to the Warner merger) and the assets of Turner Broadcasting (acquired in 1996). Time Warner currently has major operations in film and television, with a limited amount of publishing operations. Among its assets are New Line Cinema, Home Box Office, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW Television Network, Warner Bros., CNN, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Adult Swim, DC Comics, Warner Bros. Animation, Castle Rock Entertainment, Cartoon Network Studios, Esporte Interativo, Hanna-Barbera Productions, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and as of August 2016, it owns 10% of Hulu.

In the past, other major divisions of Time Warner included Time Inc., AOL, Time Warner Cable, Warner Books, and Warner Music Group. All of these operations were either sold to other investors or spun off as independent companies between 2004 and 2014.

On October 22, 2016, AT&T announced its intent to acquire Time Warner for $85 billion.

And here it is spelled out crystal-clear why this merger needs to happen: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-time-w...SKCN12N0GD

Quote:The tie-up of AT&T Inc and Time Warner Inc, bringing together one of the country's largest wireless and pay TV providers and cable networks like HBO, CNN and TBS, could kick off a new round of industry consolidation amid massive changes in how people watch TV.

Media content companies are having an increasingly difficult time as standalone entities, creating an opportunity for telecom, satellite and cable providers to make acquisitions, analysts say.

Media firms face pressure to access distribution as more younger viewers cut their cable cords and watch their favorite shows on mobile devices. Distribution companies, meanwhile, see acquiring content as a way to diversify revenue.

"The industry needs to consolidate," said Salvatore Muoio, whose firm invests in a number of media companies, including Time Warner. "You have a lot more competition from the likes of Netflix, Amazon and Hulu."

Owning content will help AT&T "innovate on new advertising options, which, combined with subscriptions, will help pay for the cost of content creation," the company said Saturday.

Earlier this month, Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger highlighted the growing importance of distribution for content companies. "The biggest thing that we're trying to do now is figure out what technology's role is in distributing the great content we have," Iger told attendees at a luncheon held by the Boston College Chief Executives Club.
10-23-2016 10:26 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

Nice try, by the way swagger, on trying to pivot at the very last second to how this has anything to do with government. 07-coffee3
10-23-2016 10:28 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Monolpolies with government blessing...
10-23-2016 10:39 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

This is why it needs to happen. This article told me. I know stuff.
10-23-2016 10:39 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
(10-23-2016 10:19 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Break 'em up!

Back to 1982.
10-23-2016 10:57 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
10-23-2016 11:00 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

This merger may indeed get shut down by regulators, with enough negative attention by naive people.

But of course, none of those naive people are saying anything about the new, integrated competition: Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix.

All three of those are both creating content and distributing it to customers. That's the new competition to the traditional studios. That's what they're trying to gain with this merger.
10-23-2016 11:29 AM
ODU BLUE Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU

10-23-2016 11:35 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(10-23-2016 11:29 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  This merger may indeed get shut down by regulators, with enough negative attention by naive people.

But of course, none of those naive people are saying anything about the new, integrated competition: Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix.

All three of those are both creating content and distributing it to customers. That's the new competition to the traditional studios. That's what they're trying to gain with this merger.

You baffle me mpls

You are against evil corporations yet you don't mind when they combine and become super evil corporations,
10-23-2016 12:43 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(10-23-2016 12:43 PM)solohawks Wrote:  You baffle me mpls

You are against evil corporations yet you don't mind when they combine and become super evil corporations,

Cognitive dissonance isn't a bug of the statists ... it's an inherent survival and coping mechanism.
10-23-2016 01:05 PM
wahoowa Offline
All American

I Root For:
DonatorsDonators
(10-23-2016 12:43 PM)solohawks Wrote:  You baffle me mpls

Do you still read his posts?
10-23-2016 01:16 PM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU

Her public position isn't the one you want to know. The private one is the one to be concerned with.

I'd say the same for Trump though. He's almost as big a liar as Hillary so whatever he says publicly means little too.
10-23-2016 07:04 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(10-23-2016 11:35 AM)ODU BLUE Wrote:  

For the Bernie Bros..
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016 09:05 PM by Kronke.)
10-23-2016 09:02 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Cable and satellite TV are dying anyway. Let them buy it and waste their money. Amazon and Netflix will have the power and majority of viewers within 5-10 years.

And by the way Kronke (a bit off topic but have to mention it), are you already off the UH football bandwagon?? And don't get me started on the sexual subliminal advertising in that basketball poster.
10-23-2016 09:26 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(10-23-2016 09:26 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Cable and satellite TV are dying anyway. Let them buy it and waste their money. Amazon and Netflix will have the power and majority of viewers within 5-10 years.

And by the way Kronke (a bit off topic but have to mention it), are you already off the UH football bandwagon?? And don't get me started on the sexual subliminal advertising in that basketball poster.

Yes, this is re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
10-23-2016 10:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.