Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big Ten to count Fresno State as a Power Five opponent
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Exclamation Big Ten to count Fresno State as a Power Five opponent
http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/10/big-t...-opponent/
Quote:Last year, the Big Ten Conference announced a football strength of schedule commitment. At that time, the conference stipulated that its members must play at least one non-conference game against an opponent from a Power Five conference or BYU or Notre Dame.

In addition, the Big Ten agreed to discontinue the scheduling of FCS teams with the exception of those that had already been contracted.

A couple of months after the announcement, the Big Ten added a few exceptions. Its members can also fulfill the strength of schedule commitment by scheduling Army, Air Force, Cincinnati, Navy, and UConn.

Big Ten senior associate commissioner Mark Rudner said at that time that more Group of Five teams could be included and would be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

“If someone comes to us with a request, we’ll evaluate it,” Rudner told the Indianapolis Star.

According to a report by the Star Tribune on Thursday, a second team from the Mountain West Conference, Fresno State, now counts as an exception.

News of Fresno State’s addition to the list arose after Minnesota announced the completion of their 2019 football schedule by adding Georgia Southern to a non-conference slate that already included South Dakota State and Fresno State.

Minnesota head coach Tracy Claeys confirmed to the Star Tribune that they were given an exception to count the Bulldogs.

“Otherwise we wouldn’t have done that,” Claeys said. “[The Big Ten] has to approve it.”

Minnesota scheduled Fresno State for a home-and-home series about one month prior to the Big Ten announcing their strength of schedule commitment.

Fresno State is 34-38 over the past six seasons, including 1-6 this season. The Bulldogs’ last winning season was in 2013 when they went 11-2 and won the Mountain West championship.

Here’s an updated look at who each conference can schedule, per reports:

ACC (2017+)

Any team from the Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC, plus BYU and Notre Dame.

Big 12 (2017+)

Any team from the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12, and SEC, plus Notre Dame.

Big Ten (2016+)

Any team from the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC, plus Air Force, Army, BYU, Cincinnati, Fresno State, Navy, Notre Dame, and UConn. No FCS opponents.

SEC (2016+)

Any team from the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, and Pac-12, plus Army, BYU and Notre Dame.
10-21-2016 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

vabearcat Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Big Ten to count Fresno State as a Power Five opponent
This is ridiculous. So SEC teams can play Army as a "worthy" opponent, but not Navy (very good team) or Air Force? And the Big 12 teams ( you know those powerhouses like Kansas and Iowa State) can't play Houston or Cincinnati or Memphis or UCF or any other AAC teams because they are not "worthy"? This is another way AAC schools will be squeezed in the future. AAC teams will not be considered for the playoffs because their schedules won't be "strong" enough. AAC teams will have to schedule Mountain West teams, or MAC teams or CUSA teams that will place our games further into irrelevancy on Channel 538.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 10:50 AM by vabearcat.)
10-21-2016 10:49 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-21-2016 10:49 AM)vabearcat Wrote:  This is ridiculous. So SEC teams can play Army as a "worthy" opponent, but not Navy (very good team) or Air Force? And the Big 12 teams ( you know those powerhouses like Kansas and Iowa State) can't play Houston or Cincinnati or Memphis or UCF or any other AAC teams because they are not "worthy"? This is another way AAC schools will be squeezed in the future. AAC teams will not be considered for the playoffs because their schedules won't be "strong" enough. AAC teams will have to schedule Mountain West teams, or MAC teams or CUSA teams that will place our games further into irrelevancy on Channel 538.

If the rest of the AAC can't get H&H's with P5 schools like ECU can, has, and will continue to do well into the future, then why not schedule H&H's with MWC teams?? Better than H&H games vs CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt. Plus the AAC West teams have history with the MWC teams.
Navy-history with Air Force and San Diego St
SMU-former WAC member, history with all of them
Tulsa-former WAC member, history with all of them
Houston-has played some games with NM, AF, CSU and Wyoming in all sports
Cheers!
10-21-2016 10:57 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(10-21-2016 10:49 AM)vabearcat Wrote:  This is ridiculous. So SEC teams can play Army as a "worthy" opponent, but not Navy (very good team) or Air Force? And the Big 12 teams ( you know those powerhouses like Kansas and Iowa State) can't play Houston or Cincinnati or Memphis or UCF or any other AAC teams because they are not "worthy"? This is another way AAC schools will be squeezed in the future. AAC teams will not be considered for the playoffs because their schedules won't be "strong" enough. AAC teams will have to schedule Mountain West teams, or MAC teams or CUSA teams that will place our games further into irrelevancy on Channel 538.

Army = Power
Kansas = Power
Wake Forest = Power
Duke = Power

Navy = Non Power
Houston = Non Power (recently won a power game)
UCF = Non Power (same as houston with a bcs win)
Boise State = Non Power ( same as houston)

This is so dumb.
10-21-2016 12:21 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(10-21-2016 10:57 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

If the rest of the AAC can't get H&H's with P5 schools like ECU can, has, and will continue to do well into the future, then why not schedule H&H's with MWC teams?? Better than H&H games vs CUSA, MAC and Sun Belt. Plus the AAC West teams have history with the MWC teams.
Cheers!

Well the main reason would be because unless the games are with Boise the committee will likely put no more extra weight on playing a MWC team vs any other G5 opponent.
10-21-2016 12:27 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-21-2016 12:27 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Cheers!

Well the main reason would be because unless the games are with Boise the committee will likely put no more extra weight on playing a MWC team vs any other G5 opponent.

If you can't get a game scheduled with a P5 or a CUSA or SB team in your area you'd rather schedule a Ball St over an Air Force, or Georgia Southern over a Colorado St? You see them all as being the same thing sans Boise? I like that Tulsa plays New Mexico, Fresno and San Jose St in football. I liked the bowl match up of SDSU and Cincy and the basketball H&H series between Cincy and New Mexico a few years ago. Then again, I used to like the Liberty Bowl when it featured the CUSA winner vs the MWC winner. There's some history between the AAC and MWC schools...
Cheers!
10-21-2016 01:28 PM
Advertisement

EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
I think it would be smart for AAC and mwc teams to play more. There is some history with the western members of the AAC. A Houston vs bsu matchup would be s nice kickoff classic type game. Bsu played 2 chic fill a's and one in DC which were very entertaining and well watched.
10-21-2016 01:32 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
Tulsa beat a P5 opponent. lol
10-21-2016 01:34 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Memphis counts uconn as a fcs opponent
10-21-2016 01:36 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-21-2016 01:34 PM)Hurricane Drummer Wrote:  Tulsa beat a P5 opponent. lol

That game was incredible. Coming back from a 35-0 deficit?...wow
Cheers!
10-21-2016 01:36 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(10-21-2016 01:36 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Memphis counts uconn as a fcs opponent

Only if you guys win. It doesn't count if an FCS team gets the W these days right?
Cheers!
10-21-2016 01:39 PM
Advertisement

pablowow Offline
1st String

I Root For: TULANE/AAC

Cheers!

Don't be so sure you H&H will continue but I get the other points
10-21-2016 02:01 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
These restrictions that are random and nonsensical are really setting up a nice antitrust suit. There's no way they can defend Army over Navy or Fresno over Boise or UConn over Houston. It's an obvious restraint of trade.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2016 02:59 PM by CitrusUCF.)
10-21-2016 02:58 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(10-21-2016 01:36 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Cheers!

Once I checked and saw that 35-0 score, I didn't bother to find a stream or pay any attention at all to the game. Then I saw the final score. Grrrr . . . . wish I had found some way to tune in and watch or at least follow it somehow.
10-21-2016 03:47 PM
SublimeKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
Hey if it means the MWC plays the big10 officials... i mean the big10 schools, more than us, that's a good thing.
10-21-2016 04:26 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
I love how everyone whined about Army being counted as a P5 opponent.

Maybe if your school had the guts to go independent, you would be counted as a P5.

Remember P5 is more than just strength on the field.
10-21-2016 07:49 PM
Advertisement

justin_sane15 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Texas St
(10-21-2016 07:49 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  I love how everyone whined about Army being counted as a P5 opponent.

Maybe if your school had the guts to go independent, you would be counted as a P5.

In context it's a completely meaningless definition that just grandfathers a few premade scheduling agreements to follow the current rules. P5 does indeed mean more than strength on the field but it also means a lot of other things Army, BYU, etc. don't have.
10-21-2016 08:31 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(10-21-2016 01:36 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

Cheers!

31 point, technically. But yeah. The crazy thing was that it didn't feel like we couldn't come back. This is the 1st team since the 2012 Conference champ team that I don't get too nervous about if they get down in games. They seem to just find a way to come back.
10-21-2016 08:39 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
(10-21-2016 08:31 PM)justin_sane15 Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 07:49 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  I love how everyone whined about Army being counted as a P5 opponent.

In context it's a completely meaningless definition that just grandfathers a few premade scheduling agreements to follow the current rules. P5 does indeed mean more than strength on the field but it also means a lot of other things Army, BYU, etc. don't have.

Like what? A G5 conference?

But we do have National Championships. I will take those over a conference.
10-21-2016 08:45 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Big Ten to count Fresno State as a Power Five opponent
(10-21-2016 08:45 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  
(10-21-2016 08:31 PM)justin_sane15 Wrote:  

Like what? A G5 conference?

But we do have National Championships. I will take those over a conference.

SMU has national championships and I will take a conference
10-21-2016 08:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.