Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA limited video replay rule for 2016-7 Men's Basketball
Bookmark and Share
MACFAN Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MAC
What do you think of this experimental rule using video replay?

Only applies to conference games in the MAC & B1G.

http://on.ncaa.com/2dzNzsU
10-19-2016 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
RE: NCAA limited video replay rule for 2016-7 Men's Basketball
(10-19-2016 08:49 AM)MACFAN Wrote:  What do you think of this experimental rule using video replay?

Only applies to conference games in the MAC & B1G.

http://on.ncaa.com/2dzNzsU

Don't see it having much effect overall. It's only on block/charge calls within the last two minutes and the only thing they are reviewing is whether the defensive player was within the semicircle under the basket or not.
10-19-2016 10:48 AM
uakronkid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Akron
Putting this kind of experiment in the hands of MAC Refs..
10-19-2016 11:58 AM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(10-19-2016 11:58 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  Putting this kind of experiment in the hands of MAC Refs..

First ... let's repeat once again (and again, and again) ... there is no such thing as a 'MAC ref' ... there is a consortium of officials (FB and BB) that officiate multiple conferences including the MAC and B-10. ... You can see Bo Boroski everywhere, if you are really looking.

Second .. just wondering, it seems like they're only looking at half of the block/charge rule. If an official calls a charge, then no replay? But if he calls a block, there is???

Even if a player has his feet set, what about flopping, or leaning in???... Is that to be ignored?

Need to get to the bottom of this one before MAC games start.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 01:18 PM by cleveland.)
10-19-2016 01:16 PM
hilltopper Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Akron Zips
(10-19-2016 11:58 AM)uakronkid Wrote:  Putting this kind of experiment in the hands of MAC Refs..

Terry Weimer who officiates dozens of MAC games every year was the lead official for the NCAA championship game last season.
10-22-2016 11:25 PM
Advertisement

EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
i am not a fan. the last 2 minutes of a close game are already slow. this will only make it worse. and honestly, i'll enjoy complaining about the bad officiating at the end of the Ball State-EMU game last year more than i would enjoy remembering a win. IMO, the human element makes the game more entertaining.

if they want to make changes, reduce the number of timeouts available, eliminate live ball timeouts, have a free throw shooter take 1 free throw and have it count for however many he would have taken, or one of the other 6-7 ideas that are being considered in the NBA right now to make the end of games more entertaining.
10-23-2016 12:46 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
This rule is a continuation of the NCAA trying to make sure that mistakes by the refs or timer do not determine the winner in a close game. The last couple of years they could review out of bounds calls and check the clock to get accurate time only in the last 2 minutes. Now we are adding block/charge calls involving the small arc under the basket only in the last 2 minutes.
10-23-2016 10:34 PM
Advertisement

pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
it, like all of replay in football and basketball, is a horrible addition. yet another instance where the most exciting part of a game will be stopped and turned over to some geek staring at a monitor for 3 minutes while all the energy of the crowd and players dissipates. meanwhile, missed calls are not addressed. Replay review is a terrible thing for sports. Calls go both ways. You get some breaks. you get cheated on occasion, deal with it and play the game. let's stop ruining the momentum of sports after every other big play or crunch time call. let's have fun, enjoy the moments, boo when the ref screws up and keep it moving. replay coincides directly with declining attendance and increasing game times. how many times have you been at a game and said "that was a great replay review"? how many times have you been at a game and said "this is stupid... this is taking too long...they still got it wrong...it's only the 2nd quarter? i gotta work tomorrow."
10-24-2016 02:40 AM
Aries_Rocket Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I liked the idea of replay at first but now I'd rather it be eliminated. The officials seem to make more mistakes with it. It's as if they figure that the guys in the booth will fix their mistakes.
11-06-2016 10:22 AM
ilovegymnast Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
I think replays are fine they just need to be time limited. If you can't tell after 60 seconds then the call on the field stands. Anything over a minute and you are over analyzing it.
11-06-2016 10:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.