Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Latest ACC TV rumor
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Latest ACC TV rumor
Allegedly...

Quote:In July, the ACC recently extended its Grant of Rights through 2036. That is what launched the Big 12’s most recent look at expansion. One thing that doesn’t get reported very often though is that the ACC’s television money is not set to grow from now until 2036. Unlike what the Big 12 currently has, the ACC’s new deal does not escalate by the year, which means that particular league is of the belief that the television industry is going to continue to decline.

It was a gamble by the ACC, who is set to launch its ACC Network with ESPN in 2019. Only time will tell if they are winners are losers here.

It is known though that for the next eight years at least, the Big 12 will be in front of the ACC when it comes to per school revenue. When comparing the two leagues though, the question is what happens to the Big 12’s situation after 2024?

The extended Grant of Rights gives the ACC added much-needed security, but not necessarily more money.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/10/willia...anking-on/

I'm not aware of ANY source for details fo the new ACC TV contract, much less one that an Iowa State fan would have access to. There's a lot to question here, but what I want to ask you guys is if you think there is any truth to any of this at all?
10-18-2016 06:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
RE: Latest ACC TV rumor
(10-18-2016 06:23 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Allegedly...

Quote:In July, the ACC recently extended its Grant of Rights through 2036. That is what launched the Big 12’s most recent look at expansion. One thing that doesn’t get reported very often though is that the ACC’s television money is not set to grow from now until 2036. Unlike what the Big 12 currently has, the ACC’s new deal does not escalate by the year, which means that particular league is of the belief that the television industry is going to continue to decline.

It was a gamble by the ACC, who is set to launch its ACC Network with ESPN in 2019. Only time will tell if they are winners are losers here.

It is known though that for the next eight years at least, the Big 12 will be in front of the ACC when it comes to per school revenue. When comparing the two leagues though, the question is what happens to the Big 12’s situation after 2024?

The extended Grant of Rights gives the ACC added much-needed security, but not necessarily more money.

I'm not aware of ANY source for details fo the new ACC TV contract, much less one that an Iowa State fan would have access to. There's a lot to question here, but what I want to ask you guys is if you think there is any truth to any of this at all?

Nada! As if the ACC would commit another 10 years to ESPN exclusivity without getting incremental payments each and every year. It's BS.

Especially when one looks at the TV ratings for the conference over the past few years. The ACC is consistently third in TV football ratings and either 1 or 2 in men's bb ratings.

But, as pointed out over the conference realignment board, the only thing we know is that the new contract makes the ACC competitive with the B1G and SEC, though that is probably more of a stretch than this nonsense.

Cheers,
Neil
10-18-2016 07:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I think incremental payments favors ESPN too. I can't see them loosing money on the front end of the contract, especially in today's climate, with the hope they will make it up on the back end. Not being able to recoup start up costs till mid-way through or later would not be a good investment.
10-18-2016 07:58 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(10-18-2016 07:58 PM)Wolfman Wrote:  I think incremental payments favors ESPN too. I can't see them loosing money on the front end of the contract, especially in today's climate, with the hope they will make it up on the back end. Not being able to recoup start up costs till mid-way through or later would not be a good investment.

I am giving the writer of the article the benefit of the doubt and assumed he meant that the additional 10 years were done without an incremental increase in those years. I think we have had confirmation (or perhaps I dreamt this?) already that an incremental increase was involved in the contract prior to the extended one.

Cheers,
Neil
10-18-2016 08:17 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
04-bs
10-18-2016 08:38 PM
TopperCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL & WKU
Whenever the B12 looks stupid, their mouth pieces start spreading rumors about the imminent demise of the ACC. It's like clockwork. Death, taxes, and B12 Rumors.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 09:40 PM by TopperCard.)
10-18-2016 09:39 PM
Advertisement

Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that there would be specific, periodically planned look-ins to make sure that the ACC monies were staying competitive w/ the other Ps. This would be in keeping w/ some of the flakiness and uncertainty surrounding this period we just came thru involving just how much money we were really getting & would there even be a network. It doesn't lock Espn in to exact #s--seemingly--but b/c the conference extended it's contract w/ them they would be sure to 'take care of' the ACC.

If so, I don't particularly like it---but it may be the best of a bad situation ... it's not like they were totally going to let the conference off the hook for that incredibly bad deal the ACC had signed w/ them initially...
10-18-2016 10:41 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

The B12 rumor about our last contract was that it escalated too much (i.e. "too backloaded").
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 12:32 AM by nzmorange.)
10-19-2016 12:31 AM
TIGER-PAUL Offline
All American

I Root For: PITT
dumb
10-19-2016 05:29 AM
ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
Total nonsense. The new extended GOR would not have been signed if this report were true. Nobody would sign up for that. I'd bet that the Dude is behind this. Lies are his native tongue.
10-19-2016 05:41 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Not only does that information "not get reported very often," it has never been reported by anyone except this Iowa State blogger.

Need I go on? OK, I will but only a little.

As someone said earlier, it's very clear what's going on here. The B12 fans were sold a huge bill of goods the last time they were in crisis and they bought it. ESPN overpaying to keep Texas in that conference definitely helped stabilize the conference. However, it also gave their fans – and apparently their administrators too – a very overinflated sense of their actual value.

Also, the Dude from West Virginia essentially became a propagandist for that conference and that too muddied the waters and ultimately hurt them.

However, even when it became clear that he was a sourceless con artist, they were still buying it, proving for the one millionth time that people will believe whatever they want to believe. We see it every four years in a given election.

What is unique about their situation is that somewhere along the line that league's presidents and athletic directors seemed to buy into their own hype after while. Passing on Louisville while they waited for Clemson and Florida State to join them was proof of that. It was also an incredibly stupid blunder on their part.

The B12 fans are still clinging to the fading hope that their league remains ahead of the ACC, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.

Whatever. We know the score.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 08:17 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
10-19-2016 08:15 AM
Advertisement

JAE_VT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech

Something that the author of that Iowa State fansite ignored, willingly or otherwise, is that the ACC will receive the rumored penalty money from ESPN until the ACCN cable channel becomes a reality in 2019. I forget the exact amount, but it was something in the order of what $1 - $3 million per year per team? The author is also deliberately ignoring any money the ACC would earn from the ACCN once that cable channel becomes live.

So while it is an insightful peek into the mindset that is percolating amongst the Iowa State fanbase, I look at that article as just click bait and only one step above the twitterati lunatic fringe who seem to get a kick out of raising false hope of the AAC fans; i.e. "The Dude", "MHver3", "The Moose", "Greg Fluguar", "Yoda", etc... Geez, when you write it all out, it is so sad....
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2016 09:17 AM by JAE_VT.)
10-19-2016 09:11 AM
JAE_VT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(10-18-2016 09:39 PM)TopperCard Wrote:  Whenever the B12 looks stupid, their mouth pieces start spreading rumors about the imminent demise of the ACC. It's like clockwork. Death, taxes, and B12 Rumors.

Succinct and to the point; well said. Definitely better than the sentences I wasted about that article. 04-rock
10-19-2016 09:15 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
why won't our dear leader release the contract's terms ...
it's only for twenty freakin' years ...
altogether ...
in swofford we trust ...
rah rah sis boom bah ...

QUIET THE INNER CRITIC
10-19-2016 10:58 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
A post from a butt hurt Iowa State fan. Not much credibility
CJ

Sent from my XT1565 using CSNbbs mobile app
10-19-2016 12:55 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
(10-19-2016 10:58 AM)green Wrote:  why won't our dear leader release the contract's terms ...
it's only for twenty freakin' years ...
altogether ...
in swofford we trust ...
rah rah sis boom bah ...

QUIET THE INNER CRITIC

folks don't like a person who doesn't believe all they are told without proof.
10-19-2016 02:33 PM
Advertisement

ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
This is perhaps the one thing it looks like all ACC fanbases can agree on. This is a crock.
10-19-2016 02:34 PM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
I wonder if the OP believes any of it...
10-19-2016 02:34 PM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
(10-19-2016 12:55 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  A post from a butt hurt Iowa State fan. Not much credibility
CJ

Sent from my XT1565 using CSNbbs mobile app

This.04-cheers
10-19-2016 02:36 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(10-19-2016 02:34 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  I wonder if the OP believes any of it...

No, but if ANYONE has actual knowledge of a thing like this, I figure it's more likely to be someone on this board that on "CycloneFanatics.com"
10-19-2016 03:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.