Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Local private golf club and country club opinions
Bookmark and Share
TigerNK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
Local private golf club and country club opinions
I have a family member moving back to Memphis who is looking to join a club and wanted to get some updated opinions on the local options. I haven't played in 2 years due to a knee injury, so I am out of the golf loop. The clubs have to be hurting for members. We used to belong to Memphis National but wasn't overly fond of the courses. Too much water.

There might have been a thread about this a long time ago. Anybody have some thoughts? Is Colonial still struggling? Windyke still crowded? Any help would be appreciated.
10-18-2016 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
RE: Local private golf club and country club opinions
I drive by Windyke all the time during the week at lunch time. Whatever course is on Winchester is deserted. Always.
10-18-2016 08:32 AM
aellis13 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
(10-18-2016 08:32 AM)TiggerFan Wrote:  I drive by Windyke all the time during the week at lunch time. Whatever course is on Winchester is deserted. Always.

The one right on Winchester is the par 3 and is pretty much empty most of the day except the weekends.

I have been members at several and played at all of the others. Currently at Windyke primarily bc I like to walk on the weekends and having the two courses allows that. I've never had a challenge getting a tee time at any of the privates since I assume membership is a little down everywhere these days.

It really depends on what you are looking for in a club. If pure golf at a reasonable rate it's tough to beat Windyke and the social aspect has improved drastically over the years. Germantown and Chickasaw were both better social clubs but I didn't love the course at Chick ad GTown was limited on how early you could tee off and when you could walk. National wasn't bad and was probably the cheapest of the group. Colonial is down to one course now and now sure how they are structured at the moment
10-18-2016 08:43 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(10-18-2016 08:32 AM)TiggerFan Wrote:  I drive by Windyke all the time during the week at lunch time. Whatever course is on Winchester is deserted. Always.

Yea, the Par 3 course at Windyke is popular with kids and during the week its pretty empty.
10-18-2016 09:57 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
I have been a member at Overton for years. Highly recommended
10-18-2016 10:00 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Germantown Country Club is still really nice.
10-18-2016 01:50 PM
Advertisement

JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:
Memphis Country Club is desperate for members, and they just re-did the course. Practically giving memberships away...
10-18-2016 02:10 PM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

(10-18-2016 02:10 PM)JerryJeff Wrote:  Memphis Country Club is desperate for members, and they just re-did the course. Practically giving memberships away...

Sounds like the ole' cotton crewe money is slowly disappearing, huh? 03-wink
10-18-2016 03:07 PM
ksigtigerdood Offline
Heisman

I've thought about looking around, since they are begging for members. I have family at Windyke. The location and two/three course setup is pretty nice. I hate that members still pay cart fees, though. Might look at G'town and Chickasaw, as well.
10-18-2016 06:23 PM
maximus Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Spring Creek or Gtown

Depends on what part of town you're in.

One of the funnest groups at a club and always a good time with a fun track is Olive Branch Country Club. For the money you can't beat it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
10-18-2016 09:35 PM
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(10-18-2016 03:07 PM)GermantownTiger Wrote:  
(10-18-2016 02:10 PM)JerryJeff Wrote:  Memphis Country Club is desperate for members, and they just re-did the course. Practically giving memberships away...

Yep heard a commercial for southwind the other day advertising daily rates and tee times for non members.
10-18-2016 10:34 PM
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

(10-18-2016 06:23 PM)ksigtigerdood Wrote:  I've thought about looking around, since they are begging for members. I have family at Windyke. The location and two/three course setup is pretty nice. I hate that members still pay cart fees, though. Might look at G'town and Chickasaw, as well.

I think most clubs still charge a cart fee.
10-19-2016 06:34 AM
TiggerFan Offline
See Ya, Albert

I Root For: US NAVY

Donators
(10-18-2016 09:57 AM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  

Yea, the Par 3 course at Windyke is popular with kids and during the week its pretty empty.

I'd love to play a par 3 course. Used to play one on Brooks Rd a hundred years ago. We would even rent a cart so we could bring a cooler for our "CoColas."
10-20-2016 10:13 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-18-2016 10:34 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  
(10-18-2016 03:07 PM)GermantownTiger Wrote:  

Yep heard a commercial for southwind the other day advertising daily rates and tee times for non members.

Memphis Country Club ain't Southwind..
10-20-2016 11:00 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

Are all the big money folks still flocking to Spring Creek way out in Fayette County?
10-20-2016 02:20 PM
TigerNK Offline
Special Teams

(10-20-2016 02:20 PM)JTiger Wrote:  Are all the big money folks still flocking to Spring Creek way out in Fayette County?

Last I heard, they are still hurting for long term members. Because of the decline in golf, almost all of these clubs have eliminated initiation fees. As of 3 years ago, Memphis CC had a huge initiation fee. Chickasaw and Southwind had modest ones. The others either don't have them or waive them with a 1 year contract. This has created a lot of transient golfers who jump from club to club because they don't have any ownership or long term commitment to the club.

One of the benefits to Spring Creek is it is privately owned (similar to Southwind with the PGA Tour) so there are no assessments. Nothing worse than being told you owe $2000 because the clubhouse needs renovation or the pool needs to be reconstructed.
10-21-2016 06:42 AM
Advertisement

tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(10-21-2016 06:42 AM)TigerNK Wrote:  
(10-20-2016 02:20 PM)JTiger Wrote:  Are all the big money folks still flocking to Spring Creek way out in Fayette County?

Last I heard, they are still hurting for long term members. Because of the decline in golf, almost all of these clubs have eliminated initiation fees. As of 3 years ago, Memphis CC had a huge initiation fee. Chickasaw and Southwind had modest ones. The others either don't have them or waive them with a 1 year contract. This has created a lot of transient golfers who jump from club to club because they don't have any ownership or long term commitment to the club.

One of the benefits to Spring Creek is it is privately owned (similar to Southwind with the PGA Tour) so there are no assessments. Nothing worse than being told you owe $2000 because the clubhouse needs renovation or the pool needs to be reconstructed.

Golf is dying. I played a lot once and was on a golf team in HS but four hours for a round is just a huge time commitment these days.
10-21-2016 09:19 AM
TigerNK Offline
Special Teams

Four hours in 2016 is the same as 4 hours in 1986. I don't think "golf is dying" as much as I think human social structure is dying and taking most everything with it.
10-21-2016 10:46 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(10-21-2016 10:46 AM)TigerNK Wrote:  Four hours in 2016 is the same as 4 hours in 1986. I don't think "golf is dying" as much as I think human social structure is dying and taking most everything with it.

People have less time and more options when they do have free time.

I can't tell you the last time I've taken 4 hours to do something - anything - not related to work or family that qualifies as a hobby. 4 hours + travel is an insane time commitment.
10-21-2016 12:00 PM
fathergoose714 Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
Oldmangrizz in 4...3...2...1
10-22-2016 07:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.